Why are Churches of Christ Shrinking?

Go Skins

I took this from a friend's FB page as I attended one for six months and I had a lot of issues with it, but ironically, none of them are really stated in this article.

[url="http://www.missionaloutreachnetwork.com/m/blogpost?id=2422312%3ABlogPost%3A79277"]http://www.missionaloutreachnetwork.com/m/blogpost?id=2422312%3ABlogPost%3A79277[/url]

For followers of this blog, you know that most all of my posts deal with larger kingdom and cultural issues. The Missional Outreach Network has readers from all different denominational backgrounds, and I want to bring people together through Christ and his mission.
However, if my non-Church of Christ readers can indulge me, I want to post a series dealing with some issues in my fellowship (Churches of Christ). Specifically, I want to seek to address the issue as to why Churches of Christ are shrinking--seeking both your thoughts and to provide some analysis and insights.

First, just an acknowledgment of the fact that we are shrinking is a huge step. For years, somehow we took solace in the fact that our numbers in the US were constant--despite the fact that, as a percentage of the US population, we were already in rapid decline. The US population was growing, and we were not.

In more recent years, the Christian Chronicle (our non-official official newspaper for Churches of Christ) has woken us up to cold reality. Not only are we declining as a percentage of the US population; we are shrinking numerically as well. We are a fellowship in decline. Maybe not declining as quickly as the mainline denominations that we have pointed towards, but still, like them, declining.

As long as we were "holding our own," we could just keep doing what we had always been doing, "holding to our principals"--not changing anything--and waiting for the world to change and come around to our point of view. If you are staying about the same, well, that is not good, but it does not put you in a crisis mode that prompts organizations to change or die. But now, as we slowly, painfully, begin to acknowledge that we are dying, we now are perhaps more willing to look at the causes of our death, with the hope perhaps that a cure can be found.

There are numerous reasons for our fellowship's decline which I hope to discuss in this blog post series. But the reason that I want to put forward today is this: we are a left-brained fellowship in a right-brained world.

Churches of Christ in their current, visible form were birthed in the 1800s during the height of the "modern" worldview. This was the age of Reason. We were skeptical of emotion, which could lead us astray. All that stuff at Cane Ridge, where people were looking for expressions of the Spirit as confirmation of their faith, which could include barking like dogs and the like, led nearly half of our fellowship to disbelieve that the Spirit of God worked at all outside of the written word and that there was no indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Shocking to deny, for without the Spirit, we have no eternal life.

But it was a print medium world, so this fit into the times. This print medium world allows one to take the word of God off on one's own to read and study outside of a community--which leads to individualism. It was a world that worshiped the scientific method, and we began to apply this method to Scripture, believing that if we just all used the same method (hermeneutic), we would all come to the same result every time. Reason and scientific study of the Bible and [i]knowledge[/i] would lead us to all come to [i]agreement and thus unity.[/i] (I was reminded recently by a preacher friend that our motto for decades was "Come, let us reason together.")

(Notice that unity was not based upon Christ and the Spirit or the seven "ones" of Eph. 4, but upon agreement on all of the issues. This is an impossible task, proven to be impossible for flawed humans by our history. But I digress.)

So our worship services and Bible [i]classes[/i] were designed to give out information and prove points. We wanted to [i]educate [/i]people--not shape them spiritually or transform them or disciple them. We did not have Spiritual Formation or Discipleship ministers. We had "Adult Education" ministers. We had preachers who dispensed information and proved their [i]points.[/i] It was assumed that education equals transformation.

Fast forward two hundred years to today. We are now in an Apple based, image and icon based world. A world of pictures and videos. A world of music and surround sound. A world of 75" plasma screens in homes and jumbo trons half the size of football fields. I live in Dallas and took the Cowboys stadium tour. There I found out that the owners of the Phoenix Suns came out to the stadium to play video games at $500/minute on the humongous video screen there. [url="http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottdecarlo/2011/08/11/the-worlds-25-most-valuable-companies-apple-is-now-on-top/"]Apple is now the highest valued company in the world[/url], beating out Microsoft. This is not just symbolism. It is reality. We are in an Apple based, image based, icon based, [i]experienced [/i]based world. This is the world that those 35 and under in particular grew up in, though it extends up through Gen X (and even partially into the late Boomers).

And these younger generations come into our worship services looking for an [i]experience. [/i]And what do they get? A lecture. Information. Someone trying to build a reasoned argument and make their [i]points. [/i]And they just don't get it. It does not speak their language. We are speaking Mandarin Chinese to them. (Actually Mandarin Chinese is an image-based language. So with the growth of China, we will become even more image based and Eastern in our thinking. Think of a picture or image. By its nature, it evokes more emotion and feeling and passion. And when younger generations enter into this throwback, print based world, they feel that our worship services are empty, dead, and lifeless. It does not move them. They can't wait for the exit.)

Older generations showed up to hear a sermon. The rest was nice, but was almost viewed as filler for the main dish. And in growing churches that are reaching younger generations, they most all have great preachers. Preaching (that is culturally relevant) still transforms and moves people.

But what our fellowship fails to realize is that if you were to take that same great speaker--let's say, Andy Stanley, or if you prefer, Mark Driscoll, or whoever of that generation that floats your boat, and you were to plop them down into most of our churches, that church would not explode. The younger people would not, by and large, come. Why is this? Because they are not looking for a sermon--though they want to hear a moving one when they hear one. They are looking for an [i]experience--an experience that matches their world. [/i]And we are by and large offering an experience of what life in the 1800s is like. Bible classes that educate, and sermons that give knowledge and prove points. In a world in which knowledge is ubiquitous (ever heard of the Internet or Wikipedia?) and everyone is sick of people arguing about who is right.

Let's face it. By and large, we view the thousands of dollars that are spent on lights, video screens, and cameras in other fellowships as a waste of money. As seeking to "entertain." We look down on those churches as being superficial. (Part of this is that during the split with the Christian church, they got all of the buildings and all of the money. So our people are inherently suspicious of these kind of expenditures as being "liberal" or superficial. But like so much of our heritage, most people don't realize why they think these things.)

And yet, churches that are doing this are growing--not only reaching lost people, but retaining their own kids. They actually come, want to come, enjoy the [i]experience, [/i]and bring their friends. Young adults will camp out and plan their year around the [i]Passion [/i]worship [i]experience[/i], but would not ever show up at a lectureship. Look around at the lectureships in our fellowship. There are a lot of older people, and almost no one under 30, despite there being incredible [i]speakers [/i]there.

I don't agree with non-denominational churches existing to begin with.

The bigger issue, at least the one I went to for six months a few years ago, is I felt like I was in high school all over again. In addition, I felt judged because of some things in my past that I suspect were talked about behind my back and probably not giving the full story. There are very few times I have felt "alone" in my life and that was one of those times. It seemed hard to "break in" to who had been going there for years. I will give them credit about having small groups/bible studies for all ages and regardless of martial status. Some churches don't look at the bigger picture in that respect.

In the case with all churches, some ministers/pastors/priests can speak better than others and stay on topic.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1360073308' post='1213145']
I don't agree with non-denominational churches existing to begin with.[/quote]

Why not?

I think (at least some of them), they get straight to the study of the Bible and cut out all the useless doctrine / misinformation. If you felt like you were being judged, you were in a really shitty congregation. That really sucks, man - I have no use for people like that.

My problem with organized religion is that while some of them claim to welcome anyone, they still want you to be 'confirmed', or 'born again'. No thanks. I consider myself a recovering Catholic, and all of the sacraments they preach and require - people go through with the ceremonies and then do what they want anyway.

I was raised Catholic, so I get the structure thing. I haven't practiced it in years, and don't plan to.

I have attended baptist, methodist, and presbyterian in prior years. Methodist and Catholic were 90% the same thing.

What bothered me about church of christ in general is people are looking to "belong" to a "religion" and not really knowing why they are there, in my experience. It appears to be an outside option for a church, just so one can claim to go somewhere. The ministers for the most part couldn't stay on topic, which really bothered me. The sermon should make sense and stick to a main point.

The only upside of going to a church of christ for six months was gaining two friends, that was it. Hardly anyone tried to get to know me, and then I was being honest about why I was there, and that is where the judgments started without knowing the full and complete story. I thought to myself, this is enough, left and haven't looked back. The other thing that really bothered me was women couldn't do anything of importance other than sing during the service. I know Catholicism is the exception to the rule (I think), but when did churches decide to get sexist?

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1360081396' post='1213163']

I have attended baptist, methodist, and presbyterian in prior years. Methodist and Catholic were 90% the same thing.

[/quote]

I have to say, I think this really depends on region because there is so much variation between every church. Methodist might fit you in one area, Presbyterian in another. (I was a preacher's kid).

<totally random and not super relevant>Personally, I prefer to spend my time up in the mountains with my family on a Sunday morning.</totally random and not super relevant>

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1360345283' post='1213543']
I think all organized religion is shrinking. And I think that's a good thing.
[/quote]

As do I. Check this out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/nyregion/lutheran-pastor-explains-role-in-sandy-hook-interfaith-service.html?_r=0

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1360428703' post='1213667']

Agreed on shrinkage. As a Christian, I don't necessarily think it's a good thing, but I do think a lot of Christians are to blame for that. It seems that too many think they should be able to force people to follow their morals, as opposed to showing them and convincing them by action. As Ghandi said and I paraphrase, I like your Christ, but I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
[/quote]

Word

What I would like is to get a group of people together, have them do things to help the community, discuss things that effect their everyday lives and different ways to look at things. They can play sports together, sing together if they wish, whatever. I would love to get together and meditate, etc. do things that you might do in group counseling sessions/support groups. This community stuff is important. The worship stuff is pretty creepy to me.

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1360075121' post='1213150']
Why not?

I think (at least some of them), they get straight to the study of the Bible and cut out all the useless doctrine / misinformation. If you felt like you were being judged, you were in a really shitty congregation. That really sucks, man - I have no use for people like that.

My problem with organized religion is that while some of them claim to welcome anyone, they still want you to be 'confirmed', or 'born again'. No thanks. I consider myself a recovering Catholic, and all of the sacraments they preach and require - people go through with the ceremonies and then do what they want anyway.
[/quote]

I have to agree. Christians get a bad rap in many respects, mostly due to the evil past actions of the Roman Catholic Church (and they WERE evil, as a political entity) and the current trend towards atheism. Most current Christians that aren't firmly aligned with the scary religious right are good people. Non-denominational churches provide a place for the disaffected member of Catholicism, Baptism, whatever. It's a good trend. I love and believe in God but my views are skewed more towards a "cosmic traveller God" than a traditional "Jesus Saves" one, so I haven't, nor do I expect to find, a church yet that caters to my ambiguous beliefs. Nor do I expect to, And I don't care.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1360551162' post='1213843']
I have to agree. Christians get a bad rap in many respects, mostly due to the evil past actions of the Roman Catholic Church (and they WERE evil, as a political entity) and the current trend towards atheism. Most current Christians that aren't firmly aligned with the scary religious right are good people. Non-denominational churches provide a place for the disaffected member of Catholicism, Baptism, whatever. It's a good trend. I love and believe in God but my views are skewed more towards a "cosmic traveller God" than a traditional "Jesus Saves" one, so I haven't, nor do I expect to find, a church yet that caters to my ambiguous beliefs. Nor do I expect to, And I don't care.
[/quote]

ah, yes, the "Just In Case" christians....

youve realized over the many years of real life experiences that enough bad things happen to very good people, and enough relaly good things happen to horrible human beings that pretty much all religions are a bit fishy and 90% of all religious teachings from "the bible" must be skewed to even remotely fit the world today. afterall, shouldnt all of the women be uneducated and serving us? there should be SIGNIFICANTLY more stonings, IIRC...

but religion was beat into you so much as a child that the ultra taboo thought of saying out loud you dont beleive in god is a real fear, and thus the majority of your generation are what I call "just in case" christians... sticking with it... just in case...

i dont mean this to offend, its partially in jest, but the idea that you can BOTH beleive in god, and ALSO make up in your own mind a god that you think there should be based on your own perceptions is pretty much the opposite of everything religion is about. as christians should mold themselves and their lives in gods image, not the other way around.

instead of current christians accepting, if there is a god and the bible is legit, that they are going the hell to hell, you know for all of the adultery, addiction, divorce, etc.. they go ahead and tweak it all, that way they can feel good about themselves, pretend they are christians, and dont have to, even just in thier heads, admit they dont really think they are going to a heaven or hell or that anyone is in control of anything in this world..

its sad that people just being decent human beings because its the right thing to do isnt good enough. hiding behind fiction novels and magic to pretend they arent d-bags still runs through the streets..

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1360551162' post='1213843']
I have to agree. Christians get a bad rap in many respects, mostly due to the evil past actions of the Roman Catholic Church (and they WERE evil, as a political entity) and the current trend towards atheism. Most current Christians that aren't firmly aligned with the scary religious right are good people. [b]Non-denominational churches provide a place for the disaffected member of Catholicism, Baptism, whatever. [/b]It's a good trend. I love and believe in God but my views are skewed more towards a "cosmic traveller God" than a traditional "Jesus Saves" one, so I haven't, nor do I expect to find, a church yet that caters to my ambiguous beliefs. Nor do I expect to, And I don't care.
[/quote]

That is the first time I have heard of an actual "purpose" behind a non-denominational church. The three I have attended were 'recommendations' for various reasons and none of them impressed me, again, for various reasons.

Archived