Free Agency and Cap Look

Anybody see what the total cap space available league wide is? 

If you assume an average of 3 mil per team for rookies.   Another 1m for contengenices.  That would mean 128m accounted for.    Take that out of the total and that would give a good sense of if more cuts or coming or if existing FAs can get deals done. 

Wow, it looks like Adam Jones got an incredibly shitty contract.

3 years, $3.3M.

Zero guaranteed. Only $750,000 the first year.....

I kind of figured we would get a good deal for him, but that is still way less than I expected. Figured he would at least get $2M per year.

3 years, $3.3M.
I kind of figured we would get a good deal for him, but that is still way less than I expected. Figured he would at least get $2M per year.

It's a shame that geathers is making that much more than pacman.

That'll offset the premium we paid for Huber... Just kidding. I would have guessed a fair price would have been double that figure. Well done by Katie, although I kind of feel bad for Adam. At the very least he's our 3rd corner and worth much more than that. Allen makes that in one year.... Until he's cut.

3 years, $3.3M.

I'm skeptical that is all he is getting.  No signing bonus whatsoever doesn't make any sense on a 3 year deal.   Based on what I saw on Rotoworld the only thing they have are the base salaries for Jones.  Depending on the agent, it can be easy or difficult to get the full terms of the deal or it is leaked some other way.  The base salaries are the easiest to get because if you access the NFLPA database all the base salaries are listed. 

I'm skeptical that is all he is getting.  No signing bonus whatsoever doesn't make any sense on a 3 year deal.   Based on what I saw on Rotoworld the only thing they have are the base salaries for Jones.  Depending on the agent, it can be easy or difficult to get the full terms of the deal or it is leaked some other way.  The base salaries are the easiest to get because if you access the NFLPA database all the base salaries are listed. 

Yeah, maybe. However on both of his previous Bengals deals, one of which was 2 years, he didn't get a bonus either.

He also has that big judgment against him, so it is possible that a bonus might go directly to pay for that or something and thus he didn't care if he got a bonus. Who knows.

I will say that when no details came out at all for days, it was pretty clear that it wasn't a good deal for Jones and his agent didn't want any attention given to the dollar values.

3 years, $3.3M.

his average base is not far off what I expected, but damn yea that's kind of bad.  He's still getting a decent raise (last year was $700K with a $250K roster or workout bonus).

The lack of signing bonus is the surprise. I thought it would be $3.6M or so in base and a $2M or so signing bonus.

at this rate the team could probably keep allen with what jones and newman will likely make.  I still wouldn't sleep on Jason Allen being the starting SS opening day.

Makes you wonder if it has something to do with his lawsuit.Maybe it's better for him financially if he gets what he gets vs a nice signing bonus.

Very possible.  If he all of a sudden had a big pile of cash it might disappear overnight.   The more he plays the bigger his pension is although the $200 a month for every year played isn't exaclty like retiring from IBM or GE.

Hopefully, he has been stockpiling cash into a cash value life insurance policy over the years BUT my guess is that hasn't happened.

B1181 - have you had a chance to update your cap spreadsheet with the new info on Adam Jones and Newman's contracts? 

no not yet.  I had been waiting for the Peerman and JJohnson numbers, which spotrac still hasn't posted for some reason. Tate and Quinn's numbers aren't in yet either.  Looks like roto may have some of them though.

I'll try to update it some tonight.

no not yet.  I had been waiting for the Peerman and JJohnson numbers, which spotrac still hasn't posted for some reason. Tate and Quinn's numbers aren't in yet either.  Looks like roto may have some of them though.

I'll try to update it some tonight.

Yeah, looks like spotrac hasn't updated for awhile.  I was just curious what the latest cap number was.  But thanks!

B1181 - have you had a chance to update your cap spreadsheet with the new info on Adam Jones and Newman's contracts? 

this is not counting Adam Jones, who I don't have an official 2013 cap number for yet (Technically I don't for Tate and Quinn either but I'm gonna assume they didn't get any bonuses. If they did, we're talking only 5 figures).

(A) 2013 Cap Space available (counting 2012 carryover):  $133,222,575

(B ) 2013 Cap Space Used:  $109,860,407  (including the 65 players signed, minus Jones)

(C ) 2013 Dead Money: $1,893,784

(D) Top 51 Cap Number: $103,990,491

(A - sum of C and D) Current Cap Space Available (minus Jones):  $27,338,300

Expected carryover to 2014:  $10,000,000

Expected Money set aside for Draft Picks and In-Season Injuries:  $8,000,000

Reasonable amount of money we should expect the Bengals to spend in the remainder of free agency:  $9,338,300 (not counting Jones, which should eat up around $1M of this figure)

this is not counting Adam Jones, who I don't have an official 2013 cap number for yet (Technically I don't for Tate and Quinn either but I'm gonna assume they didn't get any bonuses. If they did, we're talking only 5 figures).

(B ) 2013 Cap Space Used:  $109,860,407  (including the 65 players signed, minus Jones)

Reasonable amount of money we should expect the Bengals to spend in the remainder of free agency:  $9,338,300 (not counting Jones, which should eat up around $1M of this figure)

Good stuff. Something like $7M for Andre and $2M for Thomas Howard and then try to get MJ extended which would open up a few million for a Safety.

They could also end up saving almost another $10M or so if they cut Jason Allen, Travelle Wharton and Jamaal Anderson. Maybe they will wait on making those moves until training camp and only if we don't have any major injuries at those positions. If so, we might be able to carry closer to $20M forward.

Good stuff. Something like $7M for Andre and $2M for Thomas Howard and then try to get MJ extended which would open up a few million for a Safety.
They could also end up saving almost another $10M or so if they cut Jason Allen, Travelle Wharton and Jamaal Anderson. Maybe they will wait on making those moves until training camp and only if we don't have any major injuries at those positions. If so, we might be able to carry closer to $20M forward.

Why would they cut their starting LG?

Thanks B1181.   Saw this from Reedy yesterday on Adam Jones:

Joe Reedy @joereedy 14h

@johnthebaines $1.6M is the cap number this year for him

Setting aside 8 mil for rookies and injuries is cap malpractice. It's not quite dead money but it's money that could have helped but isn't being used.

yea we've been over the rookies part.  The injuries part is sound practice though.  According to Reedy they spent $7M on in-season injury replacements (Faine, Gillberry, etc...) last year, so I have no problem whatsoever with them holding back $8M or so for replacements.

Those kinds of injury replacements are why other teams end up going over the cap and have to do re-structures or cut guys at the end of the year.  I've got no problem with the Bengals planning ahead.

If they're lucky enough to have any leftover, it goes to the AJ Green fund.

B1181 - Spotrac has the Adjusted Cap for the Bengals at 134.4.  What is the difference between your calculation and theirs?

mine came from Reedy, who I would hope got it from the team. Looks like about a $1.2M difference.

I've seen Reedy's same numbers ($10.2M rollover, $133M in space) elsewhere, so I'm thinking his are probably more accurate.  

OK makes sense.  Spotrac had the 10.2 as well, but then changed it when they updated the information in the cap calculation - they broke down and separated the cap rollover and the cowboy/redskins adjustment. 

OK makes sense.  Spotrac had the 10.2 as well, but then changed it when they updated the information in the cap calculation - they broke down and separated the cap rollover and the cowboy/redskins adjustment. 

yea they've randomly changed the salaries of some guys over the weeks too.

Archived