Free Agency and Cap Look

I know rules we cant resign Johnson until the end of the season now, but Geno? If that's why we released him I'll be ok with it.

I'd question that 2 mil of cap this year is going to influence Geno's deal here or there...they can always shove the pile around to cover that kind of shortfall.

Wharton was cut because he's done in terms of the Bengals.

You can sign Geno anytime without worrying about cap dollars and/or cash. 

Unless Wharton had some kinda of odd TC start bonus date,  his impact on cash wouldn't have come until start of the season.

Wharton was cut because he's done in terms of the Bengals.

You can sign Geno anytime without worrying about cap dollars and/or cash. 

Unless Wharton had some kinda of odd TC start bonus date,  his impact on cash wouldn't have come until start of the season.

Wharton is still owed $1M of his $1.5 signing bonus, plus he had $200k of workout bonuses each year. So the team  will eat $1.2M from the rest of this signing bonus plus his workout bonus form this year (unless he wasn't able to work out then they only eat $1M of it).  They save his $2.675 salary this season and next, plus the other $200k workut bonus from next season.  The only timing constraint would likely be saving the $200k workout bonus this season, or cutting him once healthy.

So they most likely saved $2.675M x2 + $200k for a total of $5.55M,  Not exactly chump change and will go a long way toward someone else's extension. 

Wharton is still owed $1M of his $1.5 signing bonus, plus he had $200k of workout bonuses each year. So the team  will eat $1.2M from the rest of this signing bonus plus his workout bonus form this year (unless he wasn't able to work out then they only eat $1M of it).  They save his $2.675 salary this season and next, plus the other $200k workut bonus from next season.  The only timing constraint would likely be saving the $200k workout bonus this season, or cutting him once healthy.

So they most likely saved $2.675M x2 + $200k for a total of $5.55M,  Not exactly chump change and will go a long way toward someone else's extension.

The reason for the timing in my opinion was if he showed up to training camp and got injured, his 2013 salary would become guaranteed. A it would have been a risk to have him come to training camp because his salary would have counted against the ca if he ended up on IR or even on the PUP list as a veteran's salary becomes fully guaranteed week 1.

I think there is always the possibility he could be brought back on a cheap 1 year contract if we suffer a serious injury at OG in camp. For now, he is a street FA like Jeff Faine, Mike McGlynn, etc. we're in years past.

The reason for the timing in my opinion was if he showed up to training camp and got injured, his 2013 salary would become guaranteed. A it would have been a risk to have him come to training camp because his salary would have counted against the ca if he ended up on IR or even on the PUP list as a veteran's salary becomes fully guaranteed week 1.

I think there is always the possibility he could be brought back on a cheap 1 year contract if we suffer a serious injury at OG in camp. For now, he is a street FA like Jeff Faine, Mike McGlynn, etc. we're in years past.

I figure with the glut of FAs we have signed and the spares we have drafted, we are tired of getting on the street FA bus another year.

it was nice to see mcglynn end up in indy and start 16 games last year. sounds like he finally put it all together.

• 4 months later...

High cash spends for 2013: #Lions $161.9M, #Packers $160.1M, #Chiefs $151.4M, #Dolphins $140.5M, #Bengals $140.2M, #Cowboys $138.9M

I know you were just posting this because it was bengals related, but it really means nothing...

It gives no real indication how much the Bengals have left under the cap to spend next year. It's just the amount they gave out in contracts for 2013, and not prorating signing bonuses...

I know you were just posting this because it was bengals related, but it really means nothing...

It gives no real indication how much the Bengals have left under the cap to spend next year. It's just the amount they gave out in contracts for 2013, and not prorating signing bonuses...

I know, I was putting it here because some people are interested in it.

depending on the recent injury replacements, I think they are somewhere betweent $7-8.5M under the current cap. 

Does this means we are broke for next free agency?

No, not at all. It counts toward the cash spending floor. This year's numbers include not just salaries paid but the signing bonuses for Dunlap and Atkins. For cap purposes those are distributed over the years of the contract. We have a good bit of cap space for 2014 and can free up more if needed.

Yes, we could certainly pay him something similar to Dunlap's deal and also extend Dalton in the coming offseason. It depends on how much the team want MJ back as opposed to spending the money elsewhere.

I just doubt the $ will line up. MJ is going to be the #1 FA DE. And we've seen recently that he's not a top dollar force without other players helping him create pressure. He's a damn fine player but he's not Julius Peppers, and I think they'll get priced out of him.

Can't blame him a bit for leaving for more money, but if he's going to snag $15 mil a year on the open market, that just doesn't fit with the rest of this team. 

I just doubt the $ will line up. MJ is going to be the #1 FA DE. And we've seen recently that he's not a top dollar force without other players helping him create pressure. He's a damn fine player but he's not Julius Peppers, and I think they'll get priced out of him.

Can't blame him a bit for leaving for more money, but if he's going to snag $15 mil a year on the open market, that just doesn't fit with the rest of this team. 

Who on earth would pay MJ 15 mil per year? He's overpaid currently on the tag number at 11 mil. Nobody is going to pay him that much next season. I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signs with the Bengals. 

Alot will depend on cap hell teams.   I've read that the cap will go up only 3-4 mil.    Which isn't going to save some teams from cutting players and taking them out of the market.

Probably won't be a bad as last year but still a tough market.  

Despite, getting our ass kicked by the Steelers which sucks.   That franchise still has some hard times with the cap coming up.   I think they are projected over the projected increase already and not even at a full roster.    They'll cut a couple vets and I'm sure a few other teames will have to do the same.

Cap is estimated at around 126 mil next year. Some of the new TV contracts go into effect next season but the revenues from them grow over time. 

Steelers will probably have to get some of their high profile players to take paycuts or release them. Ravens aren't far away from cap trouble with Flacco's contract. 

Archived