Training Camp Thread

1. Dalton puts it up in the back of the endzone for Gresham, but Taylor mays closes quickly and breaks it up, nice play

Expand
  2. Geno Atkins blows his man five yards into the backfield. it's hard to follow the lineman but Geno always stands out

Expand
  3. Jeromy Miles lays out Rex Burkhead once he got to the secondary. defense not going easy on the RBs today

Expand
  4. Kirkpatrick puts himself between Zimmer, Hall, and Newman when he's not on the field. Smart move, I have high hopes for Kirkpatrick

Expand
  5. The team really likes Brandon Ghee if they are putting him with the ones over Dre Kirkpatrick, who has had a stellar camp

Expand
  6. Leon Hall not practicing, but explaining deep zone to George Iloka along with DB coach Mark Carrier

Expand
  7. I want to see a lot of screens to Gresham this year. that man thrives in contact. you need two defenders to take him down

Expand
  8. Dalton evades pressure and finds Sanu open 15 yards down on sideline, ha broken off route

Expand
  9. Defense has been shutting down the run easily in this 11 on 11. only offensive success on passes

Expand
  10. Cobi Hamilton beats Prater on double move deep after play action. wide open 50 yds downfield, easy throw for Josh Johnson

Expand
  11. Shawn Williams reads slant throw inside, makes easy jump on Skelton throw. pick six

Expand
  12. Gresham elevates and catches high pass twenty yards downfield with Nelson and Iloka in coverage

Expand
  13. I love the throw to Orson Charles off the playaction bootleg. Charles moves with the run then peels out and you can't keep up with him

Expand
  14. Brandon Ghee with the ones since Newman and Hall both out

Expand
  15. Jones, Kirkpatrick, Ghee, and prater forced the most incompletions in that drill. Sanu Hawkins most TDs

Expand
  16. Hawkins and Sanu have been scoring touchdowns every play. unfair covering Hawkins. Sanu just turned Adam jones around

Expand
  17. Adam jones reads corner fade by Cobi Hamilton easily, steps in front an makes one handed interception

Expand
  18. Leon hall and Terence Newman resting today, every DB except Adam jones is getting burned

Expand
  19. Hawkins makes diving catch at back pylon, audience loves it

Expand
  20. Sanzenbacher out route on Prater. WR coach loves his route running

Expand
  21. Adam jones meets Whalen at the ball on slant, he brings it in.

Expand
  22. WR CB 1v1s. Dalton finds Sanu in endzone easily on fade route. then Hawkins burns His guy on slant too

Expand
  23. hard to learn a lot from drills because every player is basically doing the same thing

Expand
  24. watching LB drills right now. LB coach Guenther asked all the Mike LBs to move to a spot, it was Maualuga, Campbell, V Rey, Schaffer

Expand
  25. I left out Aaron Maybin and a few DTs in my defensive lineup tweets earlier, my bad

Expand
  26. I'm not even going to tweet anymore who is safety next Nelson because clearly they rotate every drill between Iloka, Williams, Mays

Expand
  27. Andre Smith finally in at RT during 11 on 11 walkthroughs

Expand
  28. Devon Still was second team DT, usually with Brandon Thompson but i think he's hurt today. sorry hard to keep track of DTs

Expand
  29. exactly, wrote an article about this, will publish today RT @bzooty Sounds like they are just rotating SS daily until someone takes the job?

30. stretching time, Wednesday ill watch offensive walkthroughs

Expand
  31. Tony Dye and Jeromy miles third team safeties. Shaun Prater, Chris Lewis-Harris, Onterio McCalebb, Terence Brown, Troy Stoudemire third CBs

Expand
  32. Brandon Joiner third team strong side LB, then these four are all third team inside- Jordan Campbell, Bruce Taylor, JK Schaffer,Sean Porter

Expand
  33. Second team linebacker again Vincent Rey and Emmanuel Lamur inside, Jayson DiManche strong side

Expand
  34. Second team defensive ends again Robert Geathers, Wallace Gilberry. Third team ends again Dontay Moch and Margus Hunt

Expand
  35. first team defensive line is again Johnson, Peko, Atkins, Dunlap.

Expand
  36. Starting linebackers are clearly Harrison, Maualuga, and Burfict, as I've said before

Expand
  37. based on reps, I think the Bengals view Dre Kirkpatrick and Brandon Ghee as the 4th/5th corners, in either order

Expand
  38. in defensive walkthroughs, Taylor mays is the first string safety, while George Iloka, Shawn Williams, and young guys are scout offense

Expand
  39. Andre Smith walks on the field. supposedly cleared to practice today https://vine.co/v/hA31dwDd3vr 

1. Shawn Williams picks Skelton

Expand
  2. Count Newman, too, so should be AJones, Ghee at CB for 1s

Expand
  3. Hall one of those vets not working in full pads with day off tomorrow

Expand
  4. Whit worth, Boling sitting again as Bengals start Practice 5

Expand

goal like defense- defense expects the run inside, but Eifert lined up outside and plucked it high out of the air over Shawn Williams for TD

Expand

1. Heavy use of Tyler Eifert today in 11 on 11. Yesterday @GeoffHobsonCin said he expects at least 60 catches this year for Eifert

Expand
  2. You can just tell how badly Dre Kirkpatrick wants to play. The way he paces the sideline,the way he flies around the field 110% at all times

Expand
  3. first team nickel today, Adam jones and Dre Kirkpatrick on the outside, Brandon Ghee in the slot. Again Burfict and Lamur nickel LBs

Expand
  4. Ghee with really good coverage on Hawkins but Ghee didn't turn his head around. Hawkins elevates and plucks it above Ghees head

Expand
  5. Kirkpatrick blankets Sanu on an out route. nowhere to throw for Dalton

Expand
  6. Onterio McCallebb is really really small but man he can move

Expand
  7. WR Taveon Rogers and CB Troy Stoudemire returning kicks. Onterio McCalebb just on kickoff coverage right now

Expand
  8. Dalton waves to a young fan as hard knocks cameras watch https://vine.co/v/hALWjpMa0qA 

For those of you who wanted Eddie Lacy, as an aside, check out this pic:

Look at this picture.. Then look at it again.. Jonathan Franklin > Eddie Lacy pic.twitter.com/Twpqtdr6cm

1. Josh Johnson doesn't like his reads, takes off and runs. he does that a lot https://vine.co/v/hALOMBQT9Hn 

2. and heavy use of Gio Bernard on screens. We should see a lot of that too. so quick in space

Expand

Yep, this Brennan Guy, Whoever the hell he is, is doing good work.  His videos are sometimes interesting (and technologically speaking, mind-blowing).  This one, though, has an all too familiar image:

1. Bernard Scott gets his left knee wrapped https://vine.co/v/hALam5nalpY 

For those of you who wanted Eddie Lacy, as an aside, check out this pic:

Look at this picture.. Then look at it again.. Jonathan Franklin > Eddie Lacy pic.twitter.com/Twpqtdr6cm

1. Josh Johnson doesn't like his reads, takes off and runs. he does that a lot https://vine.co/v/hALOMBQT9Hn 

2. and heavy use of Gio Bernard on screens. We should see a lot of that too. so quick in space

Expand

Is Lacy trying out for OG?

Is Lacy trying out for OG?

Right?

Bullet. Dodged.

Monday quick hits

Posted 1 hour ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

Margus Hunt knew once he got the call in the second round that he would soon see things he had never seen before.

Mark down Sunday's Oklahoma Drill for the Bengals rookie right end from SMU via Estonia.

"First time ever doing it. In that kind of fashion," said Hunt before Monday's practice. "We went up against D-linemen straight up, but never against an offensive guy and then having to make a tackle. It was definitely a great environment with guys going all out and everybody cheering for everybody."

Hunt particularly enjoyed the hit-a-thon put on by rookie safety Shawn Williams.

Now mark off another one. For the first time the 6-8, 277-pound Hunt went up against someone taller when he faced off against 6-9, 322-pound veteran right tackle Dennis Roland.

"Officially," Hunt said. "We had a guy that was 6-9, but I never went against him in that fashion. When I saw that matchup, I was excited. He's a big dude. It was a good way to see how they play with their pads downs."

Hunt looked like he got just as low as Roland, if not lower, and he knows that's what he has to do now that the pads are on. Football is nothing new even though he's been playing just five years.

"It's good to be back playing again with the pads and learning," Hunt said. "Absolutely it's about leverage and staying low. They're coming at you fast and you have to be ready and in position."

DALTON UNFAZED: After three crisp sessions before the pads came on, the offense flagged on Sunday. Quarterback Andy Dalton went 4-for-10 in 11-on-11 after winging it about 70 percent but he was undaunted before Monday's practice.

"It's a whole different aspect once pads go on. Guys can be more physical out there at receiver and corner," Dalton said. "You have to get used to getting off guys, breaking press coverage and different things like that. We've had a couple of guys sitting out, different guys getting in, and they've got to take advantage of all these reps. But we've been in full pads one day. We'll see how it goes as the weeks go on."

Dalton preferred to expound on what has gone right in the first four days and certainly he's had different targets on different days. On Friday it was wide receiver Marvin Jones and rookie tight end Tyler Eifert. On Saturday it was wide receiver Mohamed Sanu and rookie running back Giovani Bernard.

"That's kind of the way this offense is. We've got a lot of guys that are playmakers. You're saying all this and A.J. (Green) hasn't even been on the field yet," Dalton said. "That's what this offense can do. It can be a different guy in different games, different plays, different series. It just kind of depends what's going on. But I'm really comfortable out there. Marvin, Mo, Jermaine (Gresham), Tyler, Gio, Hawk (Andrew Hawkins), all these guys.  You just never know when you're number is going to be called.

"You never know until the season gets going. Until you start playing games and get to go against some competition. We'll see how it plays out. We've got a lot of guys that I trust completely and have full confidence in."

Dalton says the way training camp is designed anybody can come out of the woodwork.

"We're installing so many different things. We might be working on one thing and it's, 'Hey, the tight end is probably going to catch more balls today.' Or the guys out wide are going to catch more balls based on what the defense is installing," he said.

"A different guy could get the ball a lot more just because of where we're at in training camp and the install process. That's how it works. You never know how a team is going to play us. We've got A.J. He could draw a lot of double coverage so that leaves other guys in one-on-ones."

For Dalton, there's enough talent and balance. But there's one thing that needs to be captured.

"The biggest thing for us is just being consistent. We have to be able to play well at the beginning of the year and just play through the whole season," Dalton said. "We have potential to do a lot of good things. Shoot, with the running game we've got Benny (Green-Ellis) and a great complement with Gio. In the passing game we just have to make sure everyone is on the same page and things like that. That's the biggest thing kind of going in camp is trying to find the guys that are going to help this team win. I think we know a good part of it. With training camp we're just trying to get better every day. We've done a good job of that so far."

INJURY UPDATE: Right tackle Andre Smith (calf), wide receiver Brandon Tate (hamstring) and long snapperBryce Davis (illness) have all been cleared to work Monday. But they're going slow on Green (knee). The word is he's improving, but he may not return until after the team's first practice after the preseason opener, which would be Aug. 10.

UP NEXT: The Bengals are off Tuesday and return to work at the Paul Brown Stadium practice fields Wednesday at 3 p.m. with the gates opening at 2.

1. Vontaze Burfict makes back to back TFLs against the second team offense

Expand
  2. Mohamed Sanu has like great today. crisp routes and great catches with tight coverage

Expand

Cobi Hamilton catches a touchdown on a crossing route across the goal line with Reggie nelson in coverage. big body, big target

Expand

Which one is Lacy? 

The one who looks like he ate Tony Franklin. Both Andre Smith and Lacy went to Alabama, maybe Andre showed him where to get the biggest cheeseburgers. Honestly, even the Andre of three years ago would snicker at Lacy. I'm surprised the Packers aren't making him work on the side until he can look a little like an NFL running back.

Sunday, on the first day in pads, the defense got the best of the offense in a big way. Sounds like that got reversed today. Yeah, the defense didn't have Hall and Newman, but the offense doesn't have Green, Whitworth, Boling...

Archived