Dalton is the greatest of all time!!!! Brady is garbage!

He didn't play well by any means.  He played decently.  He missed some throws, he took sacks again when he could/should have gotten rid of the ball and dumb decision making on the pick.  He did some good things but also some bad things.....he played above avg but by no means did he play well.  He had a good completion %. 

Gruden can call better plays as well, but he's clearly limited by Dalton.  What other team has the weapons this offense has, with about 1:10 in the half and all 3 time outs and concedes the possession to the other team essentially?  They gave NE a FG because Dalton leading the offense does not inspire confidence. 

Again, he played well at times, had a decent game overall but he continues to be the thing keeping this offense back.  Do you notice this offense doesnt/can't play "above the rim"?  It's apparent.  This offense should be dominant. 

But.......it's a win so who really gives a shit. 

I honestly think you expect qbs to complete 100 percent of their passes. "He missed some throws". He missed 7 with 3 drops. So out of 27 passes he missed 4. Damn it dalton how the hell do you miss 4 passes???? You suckkkk.

Better?

they gave up a FG because Huber hit a 35yd punt.  I swear the Bengals are damned if they do, damned if they don't for some.  The same people complaining they didn't pass there are likely the same people who complained that they DID pass in the Chicago game.  

If Huber gets off even an average punt, New England has to go at least 29yds in 36 seconds with no timeouts in crappy weather conditions.  

With the way the D had been playing, it was absolutely the right call.

Exactly right. The same people bitching about running the ball, bitched when they threw the ball at Chicago. Me thinks they live to bitch.

they gave up a FG because Huber hit a 35yd punt.  I swear the Bengals are damned if they do, damned if they don't for some.  The same people complaining they didn't pass there are likely the same people who complained that they DID pass in the Chicago game.  

If Huber gets off even an average punt, New England has to go at least 29yds in 36 seconds with no timeouts in crappy weather conditions.  

With the way the D had been playing, it was absolutely the right call.

Crappy weather conditions hahahaha.   Wind was blowing AT THEIR BACK for the FG.  Against Huber's punt.....maybe explaining the 35 yds.  Even still, the wind wasn't that significant. 

I disagree that it was "absolutely the right call" ....and according to who?  You...it's simply your opinion.   Both arguments have their merits.... 

Crappy weather conditions hahahaha.   Wind was blowing AT THEIR BACK for the FG.  Against Huber's punt.....maybe explaining the 35 yds.  Even still, the wind wasn't that significant. 

I disagree that it was "absolutely the right call" ....and according to who?  You...it's simply your opinion.   Both arguments have their merits.... 

Then it really is damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't. 

The execution and playcalls both sucked on that series right before the Pats FG drive. No argument there. Arguing against your point here that it was about Dalton when it clearly wasn't.

would you rather have risked a clock stoppage, and given Brady an extra 10 seconds AND a timeout?  I bet you'd be complaining if that had happened too.  

The main issue was the unimaginative run plays that were actually called, not that they were called.  The key there is to make NE burn all 3 timeouts and then get a good punt off.  Only one of those two things happened.  

Then it really is damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't. 

The execution and playcalls both sucked on that series right before the Pats FG drive. No argument there. Arguing against your point here that it was about Dalton when it clearly wasn't.

I think Dalton played a part in the thinking.....absolutely.   With the weapons on offense this team has, 3 TO's at their disposal......I think most teams with SB aspirations probably go for a little bit more than 3 runs right up the middle as to say.....here ya go.  Take the ball back and see if you can score on our D.  Which they did.  Didn't need much, but they did. 

All I said is that both arguments have validity.....both sides have merit but then you dig a little bit deeper to see which one is your preference.  Or which variables influence your decision to be what it ends up being. 

I think Dalton played a part in the thinking.....absolutely.   With the weapons on offense this team has, 3 TO's at their disposal......I think most teams with SB aspirations probably go for a little bit more than 3 runs right up the middle as to say.....here ya go.  Take the ball back and see if you can score on our D.  Which they did.  Didn't need much, but they did. 

All I said is that both arguments have validity.....both sides have merit but then you dig a little bit deeper to see which one is your preference.  Or which variables influence your decision to be what it ends up being. 

One view is based on historical behavior of the Bengals in this situation - one is based on speculation about the intrapersonal behavior of a bunch of dudes you don't know.

would you rather have risked a clock stoppage, and given Brady an extra 30 seconds AND a timeout?  I bet you'd be complaining if that had happened too.  

The main issue was the unimaginative run plays that were actually called, not that they were called.  The key there is to make NE burn all 3 timeouts and then get a good punt off.  Only one of those two things happened.  

It doesn't matter what happened, I bet you'd excuse that too.   The key there is to actually get a first down so that NE doesn't even get the ball back and yes, more creative plays would have helped.  Dalton being a variable in the decision to do what they did also is accurate to say.....the results speak for themselves as we see what they did. 

Keep excusing Dalton and deflecting it solely to Gruden though.   I'm sure that'll make Dalton better. 

It doesn't matter what happened, I bet you'd excuse that too.   The key there is to actually get a first down so that NE doesn't even get the ball back and yes, more creative plays would have helped.  Dalton being a variable in the decision to do what they did also is accurate to say.....the results speak for themselves as we see what they did. 

Keep excusing Dalton and deflecting it solely to Gruden though.   I'm sure that'll make Dalton better. 

so why did they go for it earlier in the season only to have a pass dropped?

no, like the Chicago game I'd say it was the wrong call.  And also like the Chicago game, there was a bad punt.  

I did not mind that call in the Chicago game. It was a high percentage throw that was just dropped right in the hands (AJ?). You just can't win with us armchair quarterbacks in this situation unless you make first downs, no matter what. If Lawfirm breaks any of those three runs for a first down we're not bitching about it right now.

One view is based on historical behavior of the Bengals in this situation - one is based on speculation about the intrapersonal behavior of a bunch of dudes you don't know.

pretty much this.  Everyone knows that if its late in a half and the Bengals are inside their 25, the first play is a running play.  How many yards they get on first down (in this case it was 3yds), and how much time is left, determines whether they decide to take a shot on second down or not.

Its arguable whether its good thinking or not, but nothing they did today was out of the ordinary  in the 11 years Marvin has been here.

made up for the bad punt with a blast in the 4th quarter.

yep it was nearly an identical situation, and he nailed a 57yd punt into a driving rain, INTO the wind (if Khat is correct on the wind direction).  If he even gets off a 45yder in the first half, we're not having this conversation.

well that's what I'm asking.  You said outside of that play he was just ok.  Take out that play and he completed 78% of his passes for 212yds and a 100.1 passer rating.

That tends to be better than "just ok."  that's why I asked how you define "good".

How does he compare to the top 10-12 QB's in the league and also, how many points does his team average compared to others? Not trying to be smart here. I know the current NFL is set up (rules) to increase offensive output and the current crop of elite QB's are going to shatter records. At the end of the day, Dalton's stats always seem to be good but he sure seems streaky during the games.

How does he compare to the top 10-12 QB's in the league and also, how many points does his team average compared to others? Not trying to be smart here. I know the current NFL is set up (rules) to increase offensive output and the current crop of elite QB's are going to shatter records. At the end of the day, Dalton's stats always seem to be good but he sure seems streaky during the games.

Points for is a team stat, not necessarily a QB stat. Look at comp%, YPA, passer rating, TD/INT. ESPN hasn't updated stats for week 5 so I can't give you the comparison, but his comp% is going up and TD/INT going down  after this week. Have to think his YPA will improve also.

Well, you're doing the reverse, aren't you? Excusing Gruden and blaming Dalton. And I personally don't have a problem with the play calling there. You make the pats use all their time outs, and give Brady limited time and no timeouts against our D, especially the way they had been playing. A good punt and that's a helluva way to end the half. Plus, you get the ball back to start the second half. But, go ahead and blame Dalton, I wouldn't want to stop your pleasurable pursuit of Dalton bashing.

Man, it's as if some of you don't know anything about football. Seriously.  You can't make these kinds of judgments in a vacuum.  And just because the team made a decision doesn't mean it was the right call.  In fact, it was a bad call in BOTH the Bears game AND in this game.

Why?

Timeouts.

The Bears had already used two going into our last possession.  We should have run the ball in order to run the clock down.  We passed, it failed, and they got the ball back with plenty of time to score.  Gruden himself said it was a bad call, so if you need any more than that I don't know what to tell you.

Today, the Patriots had ALL THREE of their Time Outs remaining.  If we didn't get a first down they were going to get the ball back with a buttload of time left on that clock.  Therefore, given that the clock was going to be stopping after our plays pretty much regardless, our priority in this situation should have been getting the first down.  Instead, we ran terribly safe and predictable plays that they easily stopped - and again, they had plenty of time to score.

So in both situations, the objective should have been, not to score like those of you who think others claims to "go for it" were unfounded, but to RUN OUT THE CLOCK so that the other guy can't score. 

And in both of those cases we made the wrong choice.

Football, like life, is relative.  It's nice to root for the team, but to claim that they did the right thing just because they are your team makes you a blind homer just as much some on here have turned into blind critics. 

At least Jay Gruden can see things clearly, and knows that the situation is everything.  Which I guess gives us some hope that there's room for him to improve, as awareness and admitting that there's a problem is always the first step to fixing a problem.

Kevin Huber also an early candidate for the franchise tag next year. He hasn't quite been the epic weapon we were hoping for but he's just about been the most consistent Bengal over the last 4 years.

I thought they just gave him a 5 year contract?

Man, it's as if some of you don't know anything about football. Seriously.  You can't make these kinds of judgments in a vacuum.  And just because the team made a decision doesn't mean it was the right call.  In fact, it was a bad call in BOTH the Bears game AND in this game.

Why?

Timeouts.

The Bears had already used two going into our last possession.  We should have run the ball in order to run the clock down.  We passed, it failed, and they got the ball back with plenty of time to score.  Gruden himself said it was a bad call, so if you need any more than that I don't know what to tell you.

Today, the Patriots had ALL THREE of their Time Outs remaining.  If we didn't get a first down they were going to get the ball back with a buttload of time left on that clock.  Therefore, given that the clock was going to be stopping after our plays pretty much regardless, our priority in this situation should have been getting the first down.  Instead, we ran terribly safe and predictable plays that they easily stopped - and again, they had plenty of time to score.

So in both situations, the objective should have been, not to score like those of you who think others claims to "go for it" were unfounded, but to RUN OUT THE CLOCK so that the other guy can't score. 

And in both of those cases we made the wrong choice.

Football, like life, is relative.  It's nice to root for the team, but to claim that they did the right thing just because they are your team makes you a blind homer just as much some on here have turned into blind critics. 

At least Jay Gruden can see things clearly, and knows that the situation is everything.  Which I guess gives us some hope that there's room for him to improve, as awareness and admitting that there's a problem is always the first step to fixing a problem.

I agree with the bears one, but not sure about the one today. Throwing the ball doesnt necessarily help much there and if you throw a pass or two incomplete, then you are potentially giving them the opportunity to get 6 and not just 3. Also you are risking a fumble or an INT which also could get them 6.

I dont know that you can for sure say they made the wrong decision today. I am 50/50 on it to be honest. 

With that being said, saying that it was because of Dalton thats why we didnt go for it, that is just wrong. As others have mentioned, this is something we have done year in year out in marvins tenure.

Did they? My fault if I missed it, I just assumed he was in the last year of his deal.

No they gave him a long term deal. I remember because someone (i forget who) was bitching about it saying we paid him like 400K a year more than we should have or something like that...

Kevin Huber also an early candidate for the franchise tag next year. He hasn't quite been the epic weapon we were hoping for but he's just about been the most consistent Bengal over the last 4 years.

He's from Cincy, and went to UC. I bet he'd take the hometown discount to stay home.

no one is denying that Dalton, and the offense as a whole has a good amount of improving to do.  Everyone is taking their turns in the current struggle whether its Gruden, pass pro, dropped passes, missed blitz pickups by RB's, fumbles by skill players, etc...

Dalton has to keep playing better.  So does everyone else. 

Archived