Steelers Game Part Deux Recap/Analysis

he is indeed.  

However, is it needed?  I see no reason why Huber can't punt with his jaw wired shut.  It's very rare that punters get hit, or touched at all.  

Last night was an out of the norm cheap hit.

The dude is not going to be able to eat real food and be high on pain killers. For all we know he lost teeth, bit his tongue off, or has serious nerve damage. There's no way he continues to punt this season.

he is indeed.  

However, is it needed?  I see no reason why Huber can't punt with his jaw wired shut.  It's very rare that punters get hit, or touched at all.  

Last night was an out of the norm cheap hit.

I thought about that too, but I highly doubt they'll take any chances with Huber.  If he even gets touched he risks further injury. 

Plus, with his jaw wired shut, I don't think his strength will be all that good unless they can fire some spectacular meals down a straw....

The dude is not going to be able to eat real food and be high on pain killers. For all we know he lost teeth, bit his tongue off, or has serious nerve damage. There's no way he continues to punt this season.

true about the real food, which will have an impact.  I don't think the pain killers would have that much impact.

OFFENSE

QUARTERBACK

Snaps Pct.

Andy Dalton 69 100%

RUNNING BACK

Snaps Pct.

Giovani Bernard 53 77%

BenJarvus Green-Ellis 16 23%

Domata Peko 3 4%

Cedric Peerman 0 0%

TIGHT END

Snaps Pct.

Jermaine Gresham 44 64%

Tyler Eifert 47 68%

Alex Smith 9 13%

Orson Charles DNP  

WIDE RECEIVER

Snaps Pct.

A.J. Green 65 94%

Mohamed Sanu 42 61%

Marvin Jones 49 71%

Andrew Hawkins 15 22%

Brandon Tate 1 1%

Dane Sanzenbacher DNP  

Ryan Whalen DNP  

OFFENSIVE LINE

Snaps Pct.

Kyle Cook 69 100%

Andre Smith 69 100%

Andrew Whitworth 69 100%

Anthony Collins 69 100%

Mike Pollak 69 100%

Kevin Zeitler 0 0%

Trevor Robinson 0 0%

Dennis Roland 1 1%

DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE END

Snaps Pct.

Michael Johnson 58 94%

Carlos Dunlap 57 92%

Wllace Gilberry 18

Margus Hunt 2 3%

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Snaps Pct.

Domata Peko 49 79%

Devon Still 24 39%

Brandon Thompson 40 65%

LINEBACKER

Snaps Pct.

Vontaze Burfict 62 100%

Rey Maualuga 54 87%

James Harrison 11 18%

Vinnie Rey 10 16%

Jayson DiManche 20 32%

Michael Boley 3 5%

J.K Schaffer 0 0%

CORNERBACK

Snaps Pct.

Terence Newman DNP  

Adam Jones 60 97%

Dre Kirkpatrick 60 97%

Brandon Ghee 0 0%

SAFETY

Snaps Pct.

Reggie Nelson 60 97%

George Iloka 62 100%

Chris Crocker 32 52%

Shawn Williams 0 0%

http://www.cincyjungle.com/bengals-steelers-2013/2013/12/16/5215796/bengals-vs-steelers-bengals-snap-distribution

PITTSBURGH, PA - DECEMBER 15: Will Allen #20 of the Pittsburgh Steelers celebrates after tackling Kevin Huber #10 of the Cincinnati Bengals in the end zone during the game on December 15, 2013 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)

Opening observations
*Simply a brutal beating in an alley. Flat, unprepared.
*Not ready for the game and not ready for primetime players, again. 
*3-12 in Sunday night games overall and 1-8 on road.
*No other way to describe it, it has been outright embarrassing,"-Dan Hoard
*For all the seeding talk,  if Ravens beat Lions MNF, they are 1 game back, with 2 to go, and date with Bengals final Sunday.
*Last time Bengals gave up 21 points in the first quarter was 9-28-86 vs. Chicago.
*"The Bengals are not a mentally tough team, they don't win games like this,"-Rodney Harrison, NBC
*Steelers outscored 77-43 in 1st QT entering, worst quarter. Led 21-0 Sunday.
*First time Bengals have trailed by 21 points in 30 games, week 1 last year: 44-13 vs Ravens.

Special Teams
*Huber fumbled snap/tackled at one yard line=TD 2 plays later, 7-0.
*Peerman fair catch/instead of 35 yard return.
*Ghee false start on punt.
*Antonio Brown 67-yard punt return TD...paging Jayson DiManche, please pick up your jock.
*Huber broken jaw on unnecessary hit by Terance Garvin. VIDEO
*Nugent punted 1st time since rookie season.
*Tate 52-yard KR.
*Andy held for PAT.
*Tate 44/43 yard returns last week, set up TDs, 52 yard return tonight sets up TD.

Offense
*Baffled by lack of urgency when down 30-7.
*Opening drive: 9 yards first play, 3rd & 1 BJGE stopped 1st drive/punt.
*Offense started at 7, 9 first two drives.
*False start Smith, drop Hawkins, sack 2nd drive.
*Dalton had not been sacked since final minute 4th QT Ravens game...92 straight passes, entering game.
*How many drops?
*Dalton started 2 of 10, then went 23 of 34....total: 25-44, 230 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 86.4.
*One week after 6 plays of 20+ yards, the Bengals had none. Long was 19 yards.
*Rushed 22 for 57 (2.6) vs 24th ranked run defense.
*Gio 1yard TD, 24-7....8th TD year.
*:14 left in half, with a timeout, own 42, Bengals head to lockerrroom, "that's interesting,"-Cris Collinsworth.
*Opening drive 2nd H:  Dalton missed A.J., BGE sweep for 2/Whit called for holding, Gresham fumble.
*Eifert TD catch on 4th & goal at 1....30-14
*Jones TD catch on 4th & 5....30-20...2 pt conversion batted down.

Defense
*Ben completed 20 of 25 passes.
*Allowed 16 points.....14 were compliments of special teams.
*Dre face mask 1st play, gave cushion/missed tackle 3rd play.
*Steelers 4th & 2 on Bengals 43 and punt opening drive?
*Ben completes 4th & 4 own 34....16 yards.
*1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi ....Bengals rushed 2, Ben TD Brown, 14-0.
*Kirkpatrick and Iloka dropped INT in end zone. Pitt FG 24-0.
*Ben completed first 12 passes.
*Dre patted Bell on head after Bell ran over him for 1st down.
*Showtime canceled?
*Nelson Flagg for taunting, down 27-7.
*Gilberry 3rd down sack...teams 1st since Rivers/SD.
*3rd & 7 Escape by Sanders , 5:33 left game..own 20. How many missed tackles on night?

4977_1387201878.jpg

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz2nekZYbOX

dalton131215_630.jpg

PITTSBURGH — In the wake of Sunday night's 30-20 loss to the Steelers, the Bengals talked a lot about having their final two games at Paul Brown Stadium, where they are 6-0 and where they believe they can put this season back together.

"They started faster than we did; they had a lot of stuff go their way," said right end Michael Johnson. "No spirits are down over here … we lost a football game. We're going to come back, win two in a row at home and go into these playoffs and wreak havoc."

The Bengals suffered an inordinate number of missed tackles, but defensively they only gave up one touchdown drive while holding the Steelers to three field goals after Antonio Brown's 67-yard punt return for a touchdown made it 21-0 with 1:12 left in the first quarter. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger finished off the one drive (and that was only 47 yards) with a 12-yard throw to Brown after he had about eight seconds to throw against a two-man rush.

"That was a miscommunication," said Johnson, who indicated more should have been rushing.

JAW-DROPPPING: It looked like punterKevin Huber's season was over as Bengals trainer Paul Sparling planned his surgery for what could be as soon as Monday after Huber suffered a fractured jaw on Brown's touchdown. With his jaw wired shut, Huber's teammates were stunned what happened, none more than kickerMike Nugent.

Nugent, who had just one NFL punt and that was as a rookie in 2005, was pressed into service with two punts for an average of 40 yards Sunday.

"And that was different because that was a field-goal punt," he said of that punt from eight years ago. "It was tough to get a good drop because it was so windy and the ball was moving as you dropped it, so I was trying to kick it out of my hand."

The last time Nugent punted regularly was his junior year at Centerville High School because his senior year current Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk was the punter. The wind turned out to be a factor on the second-biggest play of the game, when Huber dropped the snap of his first punt just outside the goal line about four minutes into the night and gave the Steelers an easy score.

"The way the wind was going, it should have gone to his right, but it went to his left. It hit a weird wall," Nugent said. "One of those fluke things."

But the jaw-breaking hit by linebacker Terence Garvin wasn't a fluke and it's expected he''ll get fined because there should have been a penalty. The NBC crew also said there were two other penalties on the Steelers that should have been called on Brown's return.

"Man, goodness, wow," said cornerback Chris Crocker, when he heard that Huber broke his jaw. "He's such a good kid, a tough kid, good guy. I've seen two of them in my career. Him and Keith  Rivers. Wow. It happens in a football game. What can you say?"

The week before Crocker arrived to the Bengals in 2008, Rivers, a linebacker who was Cincinnati's first-round pick, had his jaw broken by Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward at PBS. Ward did hs damage on a peelback block as Rivers pursued the ball and got blindsided on a play that was later outlawed by the league. The Huber play was a helmet-to-helmet shot.

SPECIAL LAPSES: The game blew up on three kicks in the first quarter and two of them were immersed in controversy. The one punt that was easy to explain was Huber simply dropping the snap that set up the first touchdown. But eyebrows were raised not only on the no-call on Huber's injury, but on Pittsburgh's short kickoff after it was 7-0. Cedric Peerman waved off Bengals teammate Brandon Tate, grabbed it on the run, and returned it to his 44. But the officials ruled it was a fair catch and put the ball back to the 9.

"They let the play go. I didn't think there was something wrong. I didn't hear a whistle or anything," Peerman said. "It's something I'm not used to doing (calling for a kick). I have to make sure it goes down low."

The fine line of that call juxtaposed to the big shot on Huber was a bit curious. But rookie linebackerJayson DiManche said they should have made the play on Brown before he took off for the touchdown. DiManche, who leads the team in special teams tackles, had the best shot at him but he didn't break down before Brown made his move.

"We probably overplayed it more than anything and he got inside us," DiManche said. "It was on me. I was head up on him. I played him too much to the outside, and he was able to get inside and make a couple of moves. That's what he does; he got us on that one. I credit him."

The reliable play of the special teams is one of the reasons this team has a shot at the playoffs. So the first quarter meltdown was a shock.

"You can't start slow, especially on special teams," DiManche said. "If the offense and defense comes out slow, we're supposed to make a play on special teams. We have to be better than that."

Peerman, who along with Vinny Rey is the captain of special teams, took responsibility.

"We couldn't do what we were supposed to do," Peerman said. "We were down 14-0 because of (special) teams and that's a reflection on me as a captain."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Quick-hits-Bengals-vow-rebound-Huber-break-stuns-Bengals/058d6a43-2095-4164-b395-6d78a98c0550

bengals_helmet_right_mask.gif bengals_wordmark.gif
VS.
steelers_wordmark.gif steelers_helmet_left_mask.gif

POSTGAME QUOTES
DECEMBER 15, 2013

lewis_marvin_thumb--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg

BENGALS COACH MARVIN LEWIS

Opening statement:
I think to summarize today, we didn’t make anything happen. We didn’t make any plays, create any opportunities or make plays early in the football game. The miscues we had with dropping the snap on the punt put ourselves behind right away. We didn’t make any plays and make anything happen and create opportunity and create field position. We played behind the field position deal almost the whole first half. We really made it hard on ourselves. We have to play better. We have to prepare better. We have to play better. We have to execute better on offense, defense, special teams, in all three phases.

How are Kevin Huber and James Harrison?
James was diagnosed with a concussion and Kevin the same thing. So we’ll see.

How might you use this as a learning tool?
Well, that if you don’t play good, you’re going to get beat. If you don’t make things happen, you’re going to lose the football game. And that’s what happened. We fight back in, and we have opportunity there in the second half. We create more opportunity, but early in the football game we didn’t do that. We dropped balls. You can’t do that.

Did you take too long to score when you were down 30-7?
It obviously took too long because we didn’t win. It took too long.

On taking too long to score after being down three scores:
We get it down to where it’s manageable. We have to put it in.

Do you feel like this was a squandered opportunity?
Any time we lose, it’s a squandered opportunity. All we can control is us, and that’s all I keep telling our guys. Just worry about us. And tonight we didn’t take care of us.

How surprising is it that you came out and played that way?
Well it surprised me that we did.

Dre Kirkpatrick seemed to settle down after some early trouble. Did you see it that way?
We’ll see the tape. We’ll see what happened. It’s hard for me to comment on what happened.

On the decision to not go for an onside kick:
When you think about if you’re going to onside kick, you onside kick when you need to or there is a weakness in what they’re doing. But not at that point with three timeouts left or two timeouts I guess at that point, or I guess I had all three.

On thinking a game like this could happen:
Well I didn’t come into the game thinking this could happen.

Is there ever a reason for a game like this?
We got outplayed tonight. As I stated, I tried to do as good as I could coming in here to give you something. We didn’t make anything happen early in the football game and it led to us getting outplayed.

dalton_andy--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg

ANDY DALTON

How disappointing is it to have it play out the way it did? You guys were playing from behind so long:
We got down quick. It changes the way you do things a little bit. Things happened so quickly. They made some plays. They got up on us, so we were trying to play catch up the whole time.

Were you surprised by the way things played out especially in the first quarter?
You are obviously surprised. You don’t think you’re going to come in and have it happen like that. For us, even towards the end of the game we were still fighting, trying to find our way back into the game. We got close to coming back into it, but we didn’t do enough.

Are you surprised you didn’t do no-huddle more when you were in the third quarter?
I think there were different times in the game where we were doing it. There are just different things that happened and different situations. When we were doing it, we were successful with it. I am not surprised we didn’t do more of it. There was still a lot of game left.

Do games like tonight change the team’s outlook on looking forward to the rest of the season?
No. We are still in control of everything. That’s where we want to be right now. There is no panic. There’s no extra little bit where we are trying to get frantic. We still have two games at home. If we take care of our business a lot of good things can happen. We have to play well these next two weeks.

How did the conditions, the wind and the cold, play into the long throws?
I think with some of the throws you could see what the wind was doing with it. There were different times where the ball felt like it changed with the wind. It is just part of it. There is going to be elements when playing in these games. You have to fight through it.

Was more of it the Steelers taking away the looks downfield?
We had some good looks for the underneath throws, so we kept going after them. I think it was one of the things that the defense wasn’t letting us get down the field. That’s just how it was.

Were you surprised that you guys came out so flat?
I am. I wouldn’t have thought that we would come out and get down so quick that early. You never expect that going into a game.

When you were down 14-0, I imagine everything goes out the window:
No. There’s so much game left. Even going in to start the second half there is still a lot of game. There’s a lot that can go on. There wasn’t any sense of panic. We had to get drives going, had to keep the chains moving, keep getting first downs and changing field position. They won the field position battle. That’s what you have to do when you are in situations like that.

Did the wind bother your throwing?
There were some throws that the wind changed, but you have to throw through it.

What do you think is the mindset of this team?
There are two games left. There are two games at home. We still control everything. We’re going to be fine. There is no panic like what I mentioned earlier.

bernard_giovani--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg

GIOVANI BERNARD

On everything to play for today:
We didn’t win. That’s what happened. We didn’t come out ready to play. First quarter, they really ran on all sides of the ball. I think we were playing catch up from that point on.

Were you guys flat today or is there another explanation?
I think we were just flat. I don’t think its other teams doing this or that. I think it’s just us not coming out ready to play. That has kind of been the story this season. If we come out fast, everything else will take care of itself. We will be fine. This is nothing to hang on heads over. We still have an opportunity to win this division.

What did Coach Marvin Lewis say to you when you came in here?
It’s not about pointing fingers. It’s a team loss, not an individual loss. Nobody did anything wrong. The team did something wrong together. We need to come back and get ready for the Vikings, and take care of business.

johnson_michael--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg

MICHAEL JOHNSON

Number two seed in sight. What happened?
We started slower than we should. That’s what happened. This is the NFL. You got to bring it start to finish. We didn’t do that tonight.

Is this just another tough division game?
Every game is tough in the NFL. It’s hard to win, especially on the road. We’re going to look at the tape and go over it. We are going to win these next two at home, and make some noise in the playoffs.

Are you worried about this loss at all?
No, not at all. We are built for this. We’ll be back.

You had some slow starts this year. What made this game different from those?
When you get down by that much, it’s hard to fight back in the NFL.

Do think the Steelers were playing angry for being an underdog at home?
I don’t know what was going on in their minds. We are both trying to win. They started faster than us. It’s bizarre.

green_aj--nfl_thumb3_65_90.jpg

A.J. GREEN

What happened today?
It’s just a loss. They outplayed us today, nothing more, nothing less.

Right away you got behind. What is your explanation for that?
We just came out flat. We didn’t play good tonight.

Where do you go from here?
We need to put it behind us and keep working. Everything is still ahead of us. We have the last two games at home and need to take it from there.

Anything that surprised you today out there?
This is the same Pittsburgh defense. I didn’t play good today. Sometimes it happens like that. We just need to go out there and regroup.

On playing for everything vs. playing for nothing:
It happens like that sometimes. This is the NFL. Some days you are going to feel like it’s going. Some days you’re not.

On despite being down still being in the game late:
We’ve been down a lot. We didn’t flinch. We had a chance to come back but we didn’t make it happen.

Tomlin_Mike.jpg

STEELERS COACH MIKE TOMLIN

Initial comments: 
Good AFC North win for us at home. Really, kind of a team victory. I thought we rode the wave that the special teams provided there early on in the first half of the game with a short field on the botched punt and then obviously the punt return. But just largely a really good effort by a lot of people in all three phases, and really what was required tonight, obviously, versus a very good team. We appreciate the opportunity, and it’s good to get a win.

Everything seemed to work in all three phases. Special teams really seemed to be there. Any idea where that team has been?
I wouldn’t necessarily say everything worked. That was far from perfect. We have yet to play a perfect game, obviously. Tonight will be included in that. But obviously we did do enough to win, and had some splash plays.

Injury update?
LaMarr Woodley had a calf. Ike Taylor had a rib injury. The rest are bumps and bruises along the way. Both guys obviously will be evaluated. I’ll have more for you on Tuesday.

Did he reaggravate the previous injury?
It’s the other leg. It’s the other calf. You’re talking about Woodley? It’s the other leg.

When you see Antonio Brown make a return like that, are you tempted to use him more in punting situations?
He’s our punt returner.

No thoughts about using him as a kickoff returner?
He hasn’t returned a kick in years.

Thoughts on the play of the offensive line:
I thought they did a nice job. I thought we got hats on hats. I thought they waged the battle at the line of scrimmage. Obviously, I wouldn’t call it complete domination, but it was efficient. I appreciate their efforts, particularly in terms of how we had to prepare this week with the number of guys missing work and so forth. They did a nice job.

On the defensive line’s ability to stop the run this week after having a tough time doing it last week:
We were ahead, so they were throwing the ball a lot. I wouldn’t necessarily say we solved any run issues if we have them. It’s just the nature of the game. They had to throw the ball a lot in the second half. They were down by multiple scores.

Do you think you left some scoring opportunities on the field?
Certainly we did. We kicked three field goals. I’m glad we’ve got Shaun Suisham. We don’t want to utilize him that much unless it’s extra points.

Without looking at the tape, did Al Woods’s performance stand out to you?
I’d have to look at the tape. Obviously, I appreciate his effort. Obviously, he’s stepping outside his normal role in terms of the number of snaps that he’s playing and that’s appreciated. But we know that he’s capable. I’m sure he’s excited about the opportunity that he’s being given.

The hit on the punter, does that fall under the “Hines Ward” rule?
I did not see it. Obviously, it did not because I’m sure the guy that hit him was facing the end zone to which we working. That other rule does not apply to those circumstances.

There were questions about how your guys would come out with the playoffs seemingly out of reach. Do they hear that? Is that something that motivated them at all?
You’d have to ask them. I’m sure they’re better equipped to answer that than I am.

ROE750381.jpg

BEN ROETHLISBERGER

On you saying the team would not quit after last week:
We came out and fought hard in all three phases, and got a win.

Would you say this was a statement kind of game?
I guess. We just wanted to come out and play as hard as we could and show that we are going to give it everything that we have until the end.

Even before the game you looked extra excited. Was it important for you as a leader to come out and beat this team?
Yeah. I have said for a bunch of weeks now that there is going to be no quit from me or from anybody. I thought that tonight was a good night and a good example of that. Everyone fought hard from start to finish, and I was really proud of the way that everyone played.

What was different this time against Cincinnati?
Last time we played them we had a bunch of different pieces in there on offense. Tonight we did a lot of no huddle with two tight ends, called our Detroit package. I thought Matt Spaeth did a good job of that. The line protected well, and it was a good all-around game.

Was it the idea to run first?
We were going to see what personnel they had on the field on defense, and they were in a small package, so that is why there were a lot of run calls in the first and second half.

Does this kind of game show what might have been this year?
I guess. It is a game of inches and things have to go your way, and tonight they did. We got turnovers. Obviously, I threw one, but special teams got turnovers and made plays, and that is the complete game.

On starting out fast:
It was pretty good. That is the key to get out and get points on the board. I’m disappointed because I thought that we could have been better in the red zone. We could have put seven points on the board a couple of times. We just didn’t execute well enough and hurt ourselves a lot once we got in the red zone.

Was the ball that you carried into the locker room a game ball?
No, that was just the Sunday Night football.

On breaking the single season completions record:
I didn’t even know what it was. I heard them say something but didn’t know what it was. I’m just glad we won. You can throw personal records out the window. I just want to win football games. To me that win means more than any personal record.

When all three phases are working in the game does it make you think back to what could have been?
Yeah, from start to finish it was a good game. Like I said, offensively, we wish we could have finished better, but the ultimate goal is to win, and we got the win.

The Bengals being at the top of the division, did you want to make a statement saying hey we are still “the guys” in the division?
You are right, they are at the top and we wanted to come out and put the complete game together. They are a very good team and a very good defense, and I’m really proud of the way the guys up front played.

BRO000001.jpg

ANTONIO BROWN

On the effort by the Steelers tonight:
A great team effort from all three phases, special teams, offense and defense. Big plays on specials teams, a turnover on defense, possession of the ball on offense. A great team effort.

What it was like for the team to play with a lead?
It was a great feeling. It’s always great when you dictate the game and play ahead and not play catch up. It’s a great victory for us today.

On whether it was nice to see plays made by the defense:
Absolutely. There were plays made in all three phases. In the special teams, the defense, and offense. We’re a great team when all three phases are cooking and feeding off each other.

Can you talk about the impact of special teams on the game tonight?
Special teams was key. We got a turnover early in the game by a dropped snap by their punter. We had a big punt return and were able to get their punter out of the game, allowing their kicker to start punting. He was punting about 33 yards per punt and helping us in field position. All the guys on the special teams unit did a great job.

Can you talk about the importance of getting to 95 catches?
It’s a blessing. I had an opportunity to see Hines (Ward) today. He was really encouraging. As this thing continues to unfold, I just want to continue to excel with the team and play as a team and help us win games.

CLA544413.jpg

RYAN CLARK

Is this game meaningful because they beat you before and they are a division opponent?
I think it’s meaningful just because it’s a win. When you get the question a lot during the week, ‘what do you have to play for?’, I think people are looking for you to maybe have the opportunity to come out flat. We didn’t do that. I’m excited about that for this team (and) excited about that for the leaders; and also for the young guys. To see people come out and compete the way they did when, seemingly, to the outside world, they had nothing to play for, it was good for us.

You mentioned last week that maybe some people were playing their last few games in a Steelers uniform. Was this a statement along those lines in any way?
Not really. I’ve said a lot of times, when you’re you there, you can’t really think about those things. When you’re playing and you’re trying to figure out your coverage, or you’re trying to figure out where to go with the ball offensively, you’re not thinking about how many games you have left. During the week, you think about those things and you kind of try to take in the moments with the guys. Right now, we’re just trying to win games and show people that they guys on this team and the coaches, they still want to play [and] they have a lot of fight left in them.

BEL474300.jpg

LE'VEON BELL

Does it mean anything to you that you had some runs with style, including the stiff arm and the leap?
Not really. I was just doing what I could. I was definitely amped for the game. I felt good.

For your stiff arm on (Michael) Johnson, do you feel like you got him in the perfect spot?
Yeah, he was kind of fighting off a block. He’s a long guy, so I’m surprised I actually got him. I just made a play in that situation and got vertical when I could.

You had to feel good with that though, right? It’s a dream play for a running back, isn’t it?
Most definitely. To inspire your team, you always look to do that. I was glad I got to that.

How about the leap? I guess that’s become a signature play, too:
Yeah. My mom, when I talk to her, she’s going to be talking me out of it again. But, it’s just something that really happens naturally.

How many leaps did you have at Michigan State, and is it just instinctive for you now?
It’s just really kind of instinctive. I don’t know how many I had. It’s just kind of instinctive. He tried to take my legs out, so at the last minute, I just kind of jump.

Have any coaches told you not to do that anymore?
No, surprisingly. They just said be smart with it, (and) be safe because once you leave your feet, you don’t have any control of your body any more. It’s a risk, but I feel like I do it at the perfect time or at the right time. I haven’t gotten messed up on it yet, and hopefully I don’t.

You are from that area (Cincinnati). Did that mean anything to you?
Yeah. I was looking forward to playing these guys. It was my first time playing them. (They are) an AFC divisional opponent, so I definitely to make good impression.

HEY271611.jpg

CAMERON HEYWARD

General comment:
When you get a quick 21 from your offense, you shouldn’t lose that game. We pride ourselves in stopping the run, [and] playing good defense. When our offense scores at 21, that’s a guaranteed win for us, if we do our job.

When you have a game like this with all three phases clicking, does it make you think about what could have been earlier in the year?
No regrets. You can’t live in the past. All we can do is go out there and play.

BEA111513.jpg

KELVIN BEACHUM

You beat a division opponent that ended your playoff chances a season ago, and beat you earlier this season. How nice was it to get this victory?
It was a great win. We knew we had to have it. It’s in the division. We knew it would be a battle. But all we have to is continue to do our job (and) continue to control what we can control, win and then see what God for us.

Coach Tomlin said during his press conference that they were doing some interesting things with James Harrison on defense. When Harrison went out of the game early, did that impact them on defense?
I think it took them out of some of their sub-package stuff – some of the exotic things that they do with James in there. They do a lot of different things when he’s in there, whether it’s him at linebacker or him lining up as a three-technique. I think it kind of put a strain on their rotation a little bit. It happens in football. You have to be able to counteract it. We took advantage of it.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-Steelers-Postgame-Quotes/bab5d015-89a3-47c1-8f1a-f50bd6740b49

jonesa131215_630.jpg

PITTSBURGH – All of a sudden they were down 21-0 with 1:12 left in the first quarter and that was pretty much it for the Bengals on a night the only thing that came out faster than Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown was the 23 mile-per-hour wind that made Heinz Field feel like it was 12 degrees Sunday night.

Head coach Marvin Lewis acknowledged it looked bad and flat. "We didn’t make anything happen," he said. "We didn’t make any plays, create any opportunities or make plays early in the football game." But the defense that allowed just one touchdown drive and the offense that never had a chance to run the ball wasn't sure if it got beat by the Steelers or circumstance.

"It's a 20-16 game (for the Bengals) without two fluke plays," said left guard Andrew Whitworth. "You're in a position they know what you're doing and you know what you're doing. In these kinds of conditions it’s going to be hard. That wind, the way it was blowing, it was going to be tough. I don't see the flatness. I see they made two huge plays. Once you're down 21-0, you're down 21-0. I don't know if it was a flat deal as much as they made a great special teams play, and we didn't get the first down on third and one. I don't think that dictates that game. I wish we had gotten better field position to where maybe that stuff wouldn't have been as costly, but I don't know if that would have changed anything."

The first 13:48 was so bad it couldn't be overcome and everyone had a hand in it. There was not only three special teams miscues, there were three penalties, the Bengals managed just one first down, gave up a sack, and allowed the Steelers to convert on fourth-and-four on a drive Pittsburgh was aided by a slew of missed tackles by the Bengals that carried over from last week's win over the Colts.

"We got down quick. It changes the way you do things a little bit. Things happened so quickly," said Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton. "They made some plays. They got up on us, so we were trying to play catch-up the whole time."

When the dust cleared at the end of 13:48, it was more like fallout covering Cincinnati's missed chance for a playoff bye and the second seed. For the first time in 27 years the Bengals allowed three touchdowns in the first quarter and now they have to grind to make sure the playoffs don't start without them, never mind getting the first game off.

"The first quarter was like, wow. Just one bad thing after another," said nickel cornerback Chris Crocker. "We've had games where we didn't play well in the beginning, but this was really bad. I don't think guys even cared about (the second seed). We're just really licking our wounds right now. Let's move on to Minnesota (next week at Paul Brown Stadium) and let's try to win the next two games. We're just disappointed how we let it get away from us early. We didn't tackle well. Everyone has a hand in that. If we tackle better it's a different game."

Crocker had a pretty good view of the two major special teams gaffes. He thought the snap that punterKevin Huber dropped outside the goal line floated away from him because of the wind and the punt that Brown broke for a 67-yard touchdown was set up by a kick that floated right to him in the middle of the field.

"You lose the punt when you let the ball get away from you; the wind just took it away from you," Crocker said. "(And) you can't put the ball in the middle of the field when you have Antonio Brown back there."

With the Vikings and Ravens left at PBS the next two weeks in 1 p.m. games, the Bengals are counting on playing in a building where they're unbeaten this year. But they have to scrape it together knowing they let a huge chance get away from them after Miami gave them an unencumbered shot at the second seed with its win over New England earlier in the day.

"It's disappointing. You had a chance to do everything you want to do," Whitworth said. "But the season isn't over. We've got an opportunity to go win the next two and get ourselves in the playoffs and go from there."

The Bengals go forward after Dalton again struggled again in the wind (25-of-44 for 230 yards, two TDs, no picks) even though he didn't get a lot of help around him.

"I think with some of the throws you could see what the wind was doing with it," Dalton said. "There were different times where the ball felt like it changed with the wind. It is just part of it. There is going to be elements when playing in these games. You have to fight through it."

Wide receiver A.J. Green finished with 93 yards on nine catches, but didn't have a 100-yard day because he had a couple of drops and no receiver caught a ball longer than 19 yards.

"This is the same Pittsburgh defense. I didn’t play good today. Sometimes it happens like that. We just need to go out there and regroup," Green said. "It happens like that sometimes. This is the NFL. Some days you are going to feel like it's going. Some days you’re not."

The biggest weapon for the Bengals in their last two games has been the running game, but it was taken away in that bizarre 13:48. And even then, they couldn't generate a thing against the NFL's 24th-ranked run defense. Although Whitworth said it didn't dictate the game, when running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis couldn't convert a third-and-one from the Cincinnati 16 on the first series, it set a tone. The right interior of the line got stood up and the next play was Huber dropping the punt.

"I think we were just flat. I don’t think it's other teams doing this or that," rookie running back Giovani Bernard said after he could dig out just 33 yards on 13 carries. "I think it’s just us not coming out ready to play. That has kind of been the story this season. If we come out fast, everything else will take care of itself. We will be fine. This is nothing to hang our heads over. We still have an opportunity to win this division."

So it was left for Lewis to explain how his team came out so flat in such a big game.

"We got outplayed tonight. As I stated, I tried to do as good as I could coming in here to give you something," Lewis said. "We didn’t make anything happen early in the football game and it led to us getting outplayed."

The Bengals could never get into a rhythm in the second half. While the Steelers went no-huddle, the Bengals took a drive lasting 7:09 to cut the lead to 30-14 with 14:09 left in the game on a one-yard pass to tight endTyler Eifert from Dalton. Then when Dalton hit wide-open wide receiver Marvin Jones in the end zone from 13 yards out with 5:46 left and the two-point conversion failed, the Bengals opted not to onside kick.

"When you think about if you’re going to onside kick, you onside kick when you need to or there is a weakness in what they’re doing," Lewis said. "But not at that point with three timeouts left."

In the end, it was just too much to overcome and now instead of bannering the second seed, Cincinnati's lead in the AFC North is down to a game and a half.

"We are still in control of everything. That’s where we want to be right now. There is no panic," Dalton said. "There’s no extra little bit where we are trying to get frantic. We still have two games at home. If we take care of our business a lot of good things can happen. We have to play well these next two weeks."

Suddenly, the team that was in control of the AFC North has to win the last two to make sure it gets in the playoffs because if 8-6 Miami is the sixth seed, like it is now, the Dolphins go instead of the 9-5 Bengals if they have the same record because of their win over the Bengals on Oct. 31.

"We'll get back to work this week," Crocker said, "and right this wrong."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-hope-home-is-sweet/d4cae16a-9407-4abd-8f09-5c5c9e4e08b0

jonesm131215_630.jpg

PITTSBURGH — Cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick got his first NFL start Sunday in place of the injuredTerence Newman and he had some rocky moments early on in the 30-20 loss to the Steelers at Heinz Field, but he thought he ended up "doing a great job out there."

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will no doubt want Kirkpatrick to shore up his tackling, along with everyone else. Kirkpatrick was flagged for a 15-yard facemask penalty on the game's first snap when he pushed running back Le'Veon Bell out of bounds at the end of a five-yard pass. And two plays later he gave a big cushion to wide receiver Antonio Brown and missed the tackle on a short pass for a 12-yard gain.

"I knew they were going to try and come at me. As the game went on, I settled I in and I got comfortable," Kirkpatrick said. "That happens in football. He's a little shifty. It is what it is, we'll go back and watch it and correct it."

Brown had six catches for 66 yards with his longest a grab of 20 yards that appeared to be thrown into a zone on the side of cornerback Adam Jones and safety George Iloka. Pittsburgh's longest reception of the night came on a short pass that wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders broke for 21 yards when middle linebacker Rey Maualugamissed the tackle.

"Not jitters," Kirkpatrick said of his nerves. "Just follow your keys and worry about what is going to happen."

SLANTS AND SCREENS

» Jermaine Gresham left the game early in the second half with a right hip injury and while he came back on the sidelines, Tyler Eifert played the bulk of the remaining snaps at tight end. Eifert had Cincinnati's longest play of the night, a 19-yarder, as well as his second touchdown of the season on a one-yard pass early in the fourth quarter.

» The intestinal 24-to-48-hour bug going around the locker room hit cornerbacks Adam Jones and Chris Crockeron Friday and Saturday, but they both played Sunday. So did defensive tackle Domata Peko, who seemed to be in the throes of it after the game. Jones had his team-leading third interception of the season when Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger underthrew Sanders at the goal line on Pittsburgh's first series of the second half.  

» Brown kept his streak alive of at least five catches for 50 yards in every game this season.

» Last year in Pittsburgh during Cincinnati's 13-10 victory, defensive tackle Geno Atkins had such a big game he was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week with 2.5 sacks. His loss was palpable Sunday. Even though the Bengals were working against a makeshift Steelers offensive line, they didn't get much pressure on Roethlisberger with just one sack and two hits on him, giving them just one sack in the last two games and three in the last three.

» The Bnegals will take the rushing stats, holding Bell to 57 yards on 24 carries, and while the Steelers became just the fifth team to rush for 100 yards against the Bengals this season, it took them 36 carries to get 106 for less than three yards per carry.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Dres-debut/e8e882ff-3c4e-4d21-91f3-f54c70e74739

Good game everyone. Maybe we meet again? About all I got left to hope for.

Lions beat Ravens

Bills beat Dolphins

Jets beat Browns

Steelers beat Packers

Patriots beat Ravens

Jets beat Dolphins

Steelers beat Browns

Chiefs beat Chargers

Steelers get the 6 seed and maybe a rematch?

If we don't get in you all will be one of the teams I will be pulling for. Mostly so Harrison can take a dump on Goodell on the podium for all the world to see. He said he would never piss on him but never mentioned anything about #2.

Can you talk about the impact of special teams on the game tonight?
Special teams was key. We got a turnover early in the game by a dropped snap by their punter. We had a big punt return and were able to get their punter out of the game, allowing their kicker to start punting. He was punting about 33 yards per punt and helping us in field position. All the guys on the special teams unit did a great job.

Don't try to tell me that it isn't coached to take cheap shots like that. It's clearly something they're proud of.

Good game everyone. Maybe we meet again? About all I got left to hope for.

Lions beat Ravens

Bills beat Dolphins

Jets beat Browns

Steelers beat Packers

Patriots beat Ravens

Jets beat Dolphins

Steelers beat Browns

Chiefs beat Chargers

Steelers get the 6 seed and maybe a rematch?

If we don't get in you all will be one of the teams I will be pulling for. Mostly so Harrison can take a dump on Goodell on the podium for all the world to see. He said he would never piss on him but never mentioned anything about #2.

I hope your Squealers are just like me, watching the playoffs from the couch.

#Bengals D 3 sacks last 3 games (108 pass attempts)…..16 sacks in 4 prior games (159 pass attempts).

Yeah, something is off with the D-Line lately.  Not sure what is going on as i would have thought they would have had a ton of success against against all three of their previous 3 opponents.  That is the one thing that cant happen down the stretch.  I trust they will get it figured out.  On a side note, it was pretty apparent last night they missed Geno.  He was so good in the past against them.

Archived