Steelers Game Part Deux Recap/Analysis

Article 7 of "Player Conduct" clearly defines the block on Huber as illegal: http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_2013_Player_Conduct.pdf 

...and there it is.  Also note what I bolded in part 8.

Article 7: Players in a Defenseless Posture. It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in
a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:

(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or
has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending
contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5) A player on the ground;
(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(g) for additional restrictions against a
kicker/punter);
(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 8(f) for additional restrictions against a
quarterback after a change of possession);
(8) A player who receives a ―blindside‖ block when the offensive blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end
line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side, and
(9) A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2);
(10) The offensive player who attempts a snap during a Field Goal attempt or a Try Kick.

Edit: not sure how the quote screwed up like that...

The Bengals missed 16 tackles last night. 10 of those were Iloka, Maualuga, and Kirkpatrick.

Yeah, I thought Dre was pretty bad last night, then Collinsworth says he had a good game. I guess it was good in the sense he wasn't beaten deep repeatedly ala Dee Milliner. In terms of accomplishing his assignments, it was poor. He missed several tackles and got called for a personal foul.

Bengals pass rush generated one sack (Gilberry), two hits on the QB (Dunlap, Johnson) and two hurries (Dunlap, Harrison). That's it.

Yeah, I thought Dre was pretty bad last night, then Collinsworth says he had a good game. I guess it was good in the sense he wasn't beaten deep repeatedly ala Dee Milliner. In terms of accomplishing his assignments, it was poor. He missed several tackles and got called for a personal foul.

I thought the secondary did well considering how bad the pass rush was.  

Some perspective........

Saints - lose to Rams and now have to travel to carolina  with the division at stake.

Eagles - lose to the Vikings and miss out on an opportunity to clinch division.

Cowboys - lose to Matt Flynn led Packers...enough said.

Broncos - lose to the Chargers and create an opening for another team to claim the No. 1 seed.

Patriots - lose to Dolphins and potentially opened themselves up for missing out on a bye.

And, of course, the Bengals lose to the Steelers and miss a golden opportunity to snatch a first-round bye and increase their need for a win potentially over the next two weeks.

My point, this shit happens to more than just the Bengals.

Does anyone really think that Dre still looks like a 1st round pick?

Like Bengals, Dre Kirkpatrick started slow

December, 16, 2013
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- On the very first play of Sunday night's game, the Pittsburgh Steelers made their game plan known.

They weren't going to throw the ball far. They mostly were going to toss short, underneath routes that put their receivers and running backs in positions where they could get in space and pile up yards after the catch.

The Steelers also made it painfully evident they were going to pick on second-year cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick.

And why not? Kirkpatrick was making his first career start. Earlier in the week, he had been tapped to play for injured veteran corner Terence Newman, who suffered an MCL sprain against Indianapolis the previous week. On a defense with very few weaknesses, Kirkpatrick's inclusion in the starting rotation as a boundary corner appeared to be its most vulnerable spot.

So the Steelers did. And did. And did. And did again.

Of the 25 passes quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw in Pittsburgh's 30-20 win, 12 went to the right side of the field; the side where Kirkpatrick spent most of the night.

While Kirkpatrick contends he wasn't thrown off by the amount of action he received, he did admit that early on, he wasn't playing like he wanted to. Much like his team, he had a slow start to the game and spent the rest of the night trying to make up for it.

"After the first few series, I was on my heels a little bit," Kirkpatrick said. "But I had to take a deep breath and settle down, and I feel I did a good job of just adjusting to the game."

Eventually, he did ease in, recording four tackles and holding Pittsburgh wideout Antonio Brown to a mild five-catch, 66-yard performance. Of those catches, it was Brown's 12-yard reception in the first quarter, though, that hurt the Bengals the most. On a play in which Cincinnati dropped nine players into coverage and only rushed two, Brown caught a pass in the end zone that marked Roethlisberger's only passing score.

Otherwise, Brown -- who entered Sunday's game with four 100-yard receiving games, including a 138-yard performance last week against the Dolphins -- was held in check. Kirkpatrick was primarily charged with stopping the player who entered the week ranking in the top 4 in the NFL in receiving yards.

"I just had to bow up and just keep fighting," Kirkpatrick said. "I feel like I did a good job of just bowing up and fighting, and making those guys fight for everything they got."

After drawing a 15-yard facemask penalty on the very first play of the game, and missing a pair of tackles on first-half Brown receptions, Kirkpatrick was looking very much like the player some Bengals fans had anticipated seeing. Despite his strides all season, particularly in limited action the previous two weeks, some still were focused on his horrid preseason showing at Dallas in August. Pass interference penalties were his problem in that one.

Coach Marvin Lewis said he needed to review film before he commenting on Kirkpatrick's play.

It's still unclear exactly how long Kirkpatrick will be in this starting role, but the expectation is that he will continue playing it at least through the end of the regular season. Newman's injury had a timetable of one to three weeks for a return. After beginning last week on crutches, he was able to walk without them by the end of the week, but was wearing a leg-length knee brace.

As mentioned above, Kirkpatrick wasn't the only one who started slowly Sunday. The Bengals' offense had a tough time getting into rhythm on its first two drives, and three special teams miscues in the first quarter helped give the Steelers a 21-0 lead just 13 minutes into the game. Despite rallying late to bring the game within a two-point conversion of being a one-score contest, the Bengals, as Kirkpatrick said, simply "ran out of time."

Like Bengals, Dre Kirkpatrick started slow

December, 16, 2013
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- On the very first play of Sunday night's game, the Pittsburgh Steelers made their game plan known.

They weren't going to throw the ball far. They mostly were going to toss short, underneath routes that put their receivers and running backs in positions where they could get in space and pile up yards after the catch.

The Steelers also made it painfully evident they were going to pick on second-year cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick.

And why not? Kirkpatrick was making his first career start. Earlier in the week, he had been tapped to play for injured veteran corner Terence Newman, who suffered an MCL sprain against Indianapolis the previous week. On a defense with very few weaknesses, Kirkpatrick's inclusion in the starting rotation as a boundary corner appeared to be its most vulnerable spot.

So the Steelers did. And did. And did. And did again.

Of the 25 passes quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw in Pittsburgh's 30-20 win, 12 went to the right side of the field; the side where Kirkpatrick spent most of the night.

While Kirkpatrick contends he wasn't thrown off by the amount of action he received, he did admit that early on, he wasn't playing like he wanted to. Much like his team, he had a slow start to the game and spent the rest of the night trying to make up for it.

"After the first few series, I was on my heels a little bit," Kirkpatrick said. "But I had to take a deep breath and settle down, and I feel I did a good job of just adjusting to the game."

Eventually, he did ease in, recording four tackles and holding Pittsburgh wideout Antonio Brown to a mild five-catch, 66-yard performance. Of those catches, it was Brown's 12-yard reception in the first quarter, though, that hurt the Bengals the most. On a play in which Cincinnati dropped nine players into coverage and only rushed two, Brown caught a pass in the end zone that marked Roethlisberger's only passing score.

Otherwise, Brown -- who entered Sunday's game with four 100-yard receiving games, including a 138-yard performance last week against the Dolphins -- was held in check. Kirkpatrick was primarily charged with stopping the player who entered the week ranking in the top 4 in the NFL in receiving yards.

"I just had to bow up and just keep fighting," Kirkpatrick said. "I feel like I did a good job of just bowing up and fighting, and making those guys fight for everything they got."

After drawing a 15-yard facemask penalty on the very first play of the game, and missing a pair of tackles on first-half Brown receptions, Kirkpatrick was looking very much like the player some Bengals fans had anticipated seeing. Despite his strides all season, particularly in limited action the previous two weeks, some still were focused on his horrid preseason showing at Dallas in August. Pass interference penalties were his problem in that one.

Coach Marvin Lewis said he needed to review film before he commenting on Kirkpatrick's play.

It's still unclear exactly how long Kirkpatrick will be in this starting role, but the expectation is that he will continue playing it at least through the end of the regular season. Newman's injury had a timetable of one to three weeks for a return. After beginning last week on crutches, he was able to walk without them by the end of the week, but was wearing a leg-length knee brace.

As mentioned above, Kirkpatrick wasn't the only one who started slowly Sunday. The Bengals' offense had a tough time getting into rhythm on its first two drives, and three special teams miscues in the first quarter helped give the Steelers a 21-0 lead just 13 minutes into the game. Despite rallying late to bring the game within a two-point conversion of being a one-score contest, the Bengals, as Kirkpatrick said, simply "ran out of time."

seems to me the plan on D was to stop the run and not get beat deep.  Bengals DB's were giving 5-10yd cushions most of the night.  The pass rush never made Ben uncomfortable though and they were content to pick up 5-10yd gains against off coverage.  

However, is it needed?  I see no reason why Huber can't punt with his jaw wired shut.  It's very rare that punters get hit, or touched at all.  

Last night was an out of the norm cheap hit.

Absolutely. The medical long term risk if he DOES get hit again, after it's healed even a little bit, is just too great.  Not a chance in hell they play him, nor should they.

The Bengals missed 16 tackles last night. 10 of those were Iloka, Maualuga, and Kirkpatrick.

Kirkpatrick is understandable, as they guy hasn't seen much of the field (not excusable, mind you).

Iloka, as a SS, is unacceptable.

And Maualuga is just a bad old joke that keeps getting retold over and over...

geesh

Bengals punter Kevin Huber not only suffered broken jaw but also a cracked vertebrae in his neck on block by Steelers' Gavin. Headed to IR.

Jesus Christ.

The NFL needs to start instituting college like rules where players are instantly ejected for this shit, and they need to start suspending them for games upon review.

Archived