Ravens week notes

Well, I wanted Baltimore to beat NE so we could step on their throats to take the #2 seed.  However, Burfict's unforseen concussion suddenly makes me think that things may have worked out best for us.  The way he was holding his head while walking off the field did not look good, and given that we're simply talking about being the #3 vs #4 seed in the event of a loss next week - with our potential opponents not varying a great deal in terms of difficulty - I can see a scenario where we decide - if the game isn't going our way - to treat next week as a default bye, much like the Ravens did against us last year in order to rest guys up for the stretch run.

Well, I wanted Baltimore to beat NE so we could step on their throats to take the #2 seed.  However, Burfict's unforseen concussion suddenly makes me think that things may have worked out best for us.  The way he was holding his head while walking off the field did not look good, and given that we're simply talking about being the #3 vs #4 seed in the event of a loss next week - with our potential opponents not varying a great deal in terms of difficulty - I can see a scenario where we decide - if the game isn't going our way - to treat next week as a default bye, much like the Ravens did against us last year in order to rest guys up for the stretch run.

Depending on how bad Burfict is, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play. 

I would rather kill their playoff hopes and send them back to Baltimore like bitches.

I guess I wasn't clear.  I agree. You play to win.  However, things aren't so terrible as they could have been. Imagining needing to win on Sunday to even get into the playoffs!  That was still a possibility at one point. Not having Burfict would have made me VERY nervous in that scenario. Now, I can still rest pretty easy, no matter what happens.

But yeah. I'll never pass up a chance to fuck over Baltimore!

Bird in hand's better than a 2 seed in the bush.

Then start Rey and Rey and go from there. Vincent Rey has been a pleasant surprise and should get first crack at the starting lineup from here on out. That dude can move.

Yep. One of my favorite stories from this year.  So happy for him. He deserves all of the fruits of success he will be getting this off-season.  I hope it's our fruit!

Agree completely.

It has been confirmed that Von Miller tore his ACL. For some reason, Denver doesn't scare me and I kind of feel like I want to play them rather than NE. If we can get passed the bye and beat the Broncos then host the AFC Championship game in Cincy......Holy Toledo Ohio

It has been confirmed that Von Miller tore his ACL. For some reason, Denver doesn't scare me and I kind of feel like I want to play them rather than NE. If we can get passed the bye and beat the Broncos then host the AFC Championship game in Cincy......Holy Toledo Ohio

If that were the scenario I would celebrate in my birthday suit for a week.

I guess I wasn't clear.  I agree. You play to win.  However, things aren't so terrible as they could have been. Imagining needing to win on Sunday to even get into the playoffs!  That was still a possibility at one point. Not having Burfict would have made me VERY nervous in that scenario. Now, I can still rest pretty easy, no matter what happens.

But yeah. I'll never pass up a chance to fuck over Baltimore!

My worst fear heading into yesterday. It all started with that loss at Pitt when we were in the driver's seat of the #2 seed and let it slip away. Then finding out and knowing the possibility of getting knocked out completely, and by Baltimore - which would put them in, that made me sick.

Yeah. The biggest argument for wanting the #3 seed is that it increases your chances of getting a home game in the later rounds.  It's the playoffs, after all, and upsets are a regular feature.  Denver could easily go down to the winner of 4 vs 5 and if we beat NE, then we'd be playing the 4 or 5 team at home for Championship game.

I really do not want to play against Baltimore, Pittsburgh or San Diego in the first round. Just my opinion, but I still get hesitant about our chances when the lights shine brightest. let me go against Miami, who doesn't have the type of QB that the other 3 teams have.

I really thought the 2 seed was essential to our chances to get to the AFC Championship game. I'd rather not be going to Foxboro, with Belichick having 2 weeks to prepare for our team. That will be one tough game, in which, if we do not get the same amount of pressure we got on them with Geno, we simply have no chance. 

I really thought the 2 seed was essential to our chances to get to the AFC Championship game. I'd rather not be going to Foxboro, with Belichick having 2 weeks to prepare for our team. That will be one tough game, in which, if we do not get the same amount of pressure we got on them with Geno, we simply have no chance. 

That's my least favorite option, but I like our chances anywhere.  Still, easiest way around that is to take the #4 seed.

I really do not want to play against Baltimore, Pittsburgh or San Diego in the first round. Just my opinion, but I still get hesitant about our chances when the lights shine brightest. let me go against Miami, who doesn't have the type of QB that the other 3 teams have.

Tannehill is undefeated versus Andy Dalton, unlike all of those other teams.

And I'm not particularly scared of Foxboro.  We will lose any playoff game if the team comes out flat like we did in the last three outings.  We have a team that can dominate anyone, anywhere if we play our game.  I'd rather have the deck stacked in our favor, but in the end we just have to win the games that get put on our schedule.  All of them.

I don't know, one thing that I think is a little different about this year's defense is the ability to be mutliple and have so many interchangeable guys. On the line we have 3 DEs and 3 DTs that all play a lot when healthy. At LB you have Burfict, Rey, V Rey and Harrison who can all play lots of snaps in various roles. In the secondary we should have Pac, Dre, Newman and Ghee at CB with Nelson, Iloka and Crocker all playing roles at safety/nickel/whatever. Belichick may be able to scheme on us to start but with the versatility of our personnel I think we would be able to counteract any exotic stuff they might throw at us. Our base D is strong but we can also put out a very strong nickel or run specific defense if we need to. There should be no picking on one guy/or unit like Houston abusing our LBs in pass coverage last year.

I don't know, one thing that I think is a little different about this year's defense is the ability to be mutliple and have so many interchangeable guys. On the line we have 3 DEs and 3 DTs that all play a lot when healthy. At LB you have Burfict, Rey, V Rey and Harrison who can all play lots of snaps in various roles. In the secondary we should have Pac, Dre, Newman and Ghee at CB with Nelson, Iloka and Crocker all playing roles at safety/nickel/whatever. Belichick may be able to scheme on us to start but with the versatility of our personnel I think we would be able to counteract any exotic stuff they might throw at us. Our base D is strong but we can also put out a very strong nickel or run specific defense if we need to. There should be no picking on one guy/or unit like Houston abusing our LBs in pass coverage last year.

The one thing I didn't understand about the Pittsburgh game was our lack of blitzing. I think I read we blitzed somewhere around 6 times. I don;t know how much we blitzed yesterday, but I do know that when Vinny Rey blitzes, he normally gets through. Without Geno, we have to blitz more. It;s our best bet to get pressure.Blitzing 6 times is simply not enough, considering we're not getting push up the middle anymore.

but I do know that when Vinny Rey blitzes, he normally gets through.

Blitzing is a real talent, and Vinny Rey has shown he really has the chops.  Burfict is capable to be sure, but Rey has a real knack for it.  We are light years better at the LB blitz than we were just, well, less than 2 years ago.

Archived