Week 3 Power Rankings

Shutdown Corner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-corner-nfl-power-rankings--taking-stock-of-the-3-0-teams-233636159.html

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-3, LW: 29)
Unbelievable.

31. Oakland Raiders (0-3, LW: 32)
There's something to be said for moral victories. They played well. Not a win, but I bet they feel a lot better than after the Week 2 nightmare against Houston.

30. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-3, LW: 31)Just makes no sense why they didn't go with Blake Bortles right away. Those two-and-a-half games didn't make a huge difference for Bortles. They did for the Jaguars' 2013 season, however.

29. New York Giants (1-2, LW: 30)
Eli Manning didn't throw any interceptions. The defense forced three interceptions. Voila.

28. Washington Redskins (1-2, last week: 27)
Maybe I underestimated Kirk Cousins.

27. St. Louis Rams (1-2, LW: 24)
Had they held on to that big lead, 2-1 doesn't look so bad. But 1-2 after that collapse sure isn't fun.

26. Minnesota Vikings (1-2, LW: 23)
That performance at New Orleans actually wasn't too bad, considering all the circumstances. Still, a rookie quarterback with Matt Asiata heading up the running game won't inspire anyone.

25. Kansas City Chiefs (1-2, LW: 28)
The reason Knile Davis was under-drafted was a lengthy injury history, not a lack of talent. He's good enough to be a top 10 NFL running back with the right opportunity. Hopefully he can stay healthy enough to keep proving that.

24. Cleveland Browns (1-2, LW: 25)
How many times have the Browns lost a game at home like they lost to Baltimore on Sunday? It seems like three or four times a year. Heartbreaking.

23. Tennessee Titans (1-2, LW: 22)
The win over Dallas seems like so long ago, I'm pretty sure Eddie George and Derrick Mason played in it.

22. Houston Texans (2-1, LW: 21)
Yeah, that's why I was a little reluctant to buy in at 2-0.

21. Miami Dolphins (1-2, LW: 16)
Joe Philbin thought bubble: "I need a scapegoat or I'm getting fired ... what about blaming Ryan Tannehill for my mess and leaking that we're considering benching him?"

20. Dallas Cowboys (2-1, LW: 26)
One good half doesn't mean Tony Romo is all the way back, fully healthy. But at halftime on Sunday, there had to be a lot of concern about him in Dallas.

19. New York Jets (1-2, LW: 14)
#Geno'd

18. Buffalo Bills (2-1, LW: 18)
Honest story: A Bills fan ripped these power rankings, then sent me his own that had the Bills as the fifth best team in the NFL. Brilliant.

17. Pittsburgh Stealers (2-1, LW: 19)
There's some things you can't predict before a draft, like a Le'Veon Bell losing 20 pounds before his second season and re-inventing himself as one of the best backs in the NFL.

16. Baltimore Ravens (2-1, LW: 17)
Judging a decision by results vs. process: It wasn't the right call to kick a 21-yard field goal trailing by four points with five minutes left. It worked out very well in the end despite it all. Huzzah.

15. Atlanta Falcons (2-1, LW: 20)
So are they going to just be the Saints, incredible and unbeatable at home and just meh on the road?

14. San Francisco 49ers (1-2, LW: 7)
If they can't beat the Eagles at home on Sunday, it might get really ugly.

13. Chicago Bears (2-1, LW: 12)
Their best player on Monday night was the opposing quarterback.

12. Detroit Lions (2-1, LW: 15)
If that defensive performance is what we can expect to see the rest of the season, the Lions will be nearly unbeatable. Also, they could lose by four touchdowns in their next game and nobody would be surprised.

11. San Diego Chargers (2-1, LW: 13) 
There's some concern about who is healthy enough to run the ball, but this is a really well coached, solid team.

10. Green Bay Packers (1-2, LW: 8)
I have to assume the offense will come alive, but this team doesn't look anything like a Super Bowl contender so far.

9. New Orleans Saints (1-2, LW: 10)
They took forever to put away a Vikings team without Adrian Peterson and a rookie quarterback who was pressed into action, at the Superdome. Is it possible they're just not that good? Still giving them the Drew Brees-Sean Payton benefit of the doubt but it's starting to run thin.

8. Carolina Panthers (2-1, LW: 6)
They'll have some games like that, when the offensive line just is not good enough to give the team a chance.

7. Indianapolis Colts (1-2, LW: 11)
Sunday was a reminder: They have the easiest schedule in the NFL. And that counted starting with Denver and Philly. Lot more laughers to come.

6. Arizona Cardinals (3-0, LW: 9) 
To be honest, I don't think they should be this high. But look at the teams behind them and tell me who you trust more right now.

5. Philadelphia Eagles (3-0, LW: 5)
Nick Foles leads the NFL in passing yards, but yet, am I the only one that doesn't feel like he's playing that great?

4. New England Patriots (2-1, LW: 3) 
Tom Brady's 5.5 yards per attempt is 42nd among all 49 players who have thrown one pass this season. Among regular starting quarterbacks, only Derek Carr and Ryan Tannehill average less. It's a big problem.

3. Cincinnati Bengals (3-0, LW: 4)
Love the Andy Dalton TD catch. That's when you know things are going well.

2. Denver Broncos (2-1, LW: 1)
Even in a loss, the Broncos now know they can compete with anyone. I'm not sure they really believed they could compete with Seattle before Sunday.

1. Seattle Seahawks (2-1, LW: 2) 
It's amazing how they'll go stretches where you'd swear they have 13 or 14 defensive players on the field.

1. Cincinnati Bengals (3-0) | Previous Rank: 2

The Bengals lost both their coordinators, Mike Zimmer and Jay Gruden, to head coaching jobs in the offseason. Their top offensive threat, WR A.J. Green, has been hampered by a toe injury. But they haven’t missed a step and they’ve been impressive in winning their first three games by a wider margin each week. They have a bye week to savor their good start, but the schedule toughens when they return with games against the Patriots, Panthers, Colts and Ravens.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/09/23/2014-nfl-power-rankings-week-4-cincinnati-bengals-become-seasons-third-no-1-team/

How many times have the Browns lost a game at home like they lost to Baltimore on Sunday? It seems like three or four times a year. Heartbreaking.

Heartbreaking and hilarious.

Trick play based upon Manziel arguing with coaching staff near the sidelines an act of inspired stupidity.

So-called shutdown corner Joe Hayden targeted yet again on games most decisive play.

Looks can be deceiving, I guess.

Browns return to familiar last place despite new hair plugs for Lebron James.

1. Cincinnati Bengals (3-0) | Previous Rank: 2

The Bengals lost both their coordinators, Mike Zimmer and Jay Gruden, to head coaching jobs in the offseason. Their top offensive threat, WR A.J. Green, has been hampered by a toe injury. But they haven’t missed a step and they’ve been impressive in winning their first three games by a wider margin each week. They have a bye week to savor their good start, but the schedule toughens when they return with games against the Patriots, Panthers, Colts and Ravens.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/09/23/2014-nfl-power-rankings-week-4-cincinnati-bengals-become-seasons-third-no-1-team/

He has the three 3-0 teams ranked 1-3, including the Eagles at #2.  They have struggled against two of the worst teams in the league.

Shutdown Corner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-corner-nfl-power-rankings--taking-stock-of-the-3-0-teams-233636159.html

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-3, LW: 29)
Unbelievable.

31. Oakland Raiders (0-3, LW: 32)
There's something to be said for moral victories. They played well. Not a win, but I bet they feel a lot better than after the Week 2 nightmare against Houston.

30. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-3, LW: 31)Just makes no sense why they didn't go with Blake Bortles right away. Those two-and-a-half games didn't make a huge difference for Bortles. They did for the Jaguars' 2013 season, however.

29. New York Giants (1-2, LW: 30)
Eli Manning didn't throw any interceptions. The defense forced three interceptions. Voila.

28. Washington Redskins (1-2, last week: 27)
Maybe I underestimated Kirk Cousins.

27. St. Louis Rams (1-2, LW: 24)
Had they held on to that big lead, 2-1 doesn't look so bad. But 1-2 after that collapse sure isn't fun.

26. Minnesota Vikings (1-2, LW: 23)
That performance at New Orleans actually wasn't too bad, considering all the circumstances. Still, a rookie quarterback with Matt Asiata heading up the running game won't inspire anyone.

25. Kansas City Chiefs (1-2, LW: 28)
The reason Knile Davis was under-drafted was a lengthy injury history, not a lack of talent. He's good enough to be a top 10 NFL running back with the right opportunity. Hopefully he can stay healthy enough to keep proving that.

23. Tennessee Titans (1-2, LW: 22)
The win over Dallas seems like so long ago, I'm pretty sure Eddie George and Derrick Mason played in it.

22. Houston Texans (2-1, LW: 21)
Yeah, that's why I was a little reluctant to buy in at 2-0.

21. Miami Dolphins (1-2, LW: 16)
Joe Philbin thought bubble: "I need a scapegoat or I'm getting fired ... what about blaming Ryan Tannehill for my mess and leaking that we're considering benching him?"

20. Dallas Cowboys (2-1, LW: 26)
One good half doesn't mean Tony Romo is all the way back, fully healthy. But at halftime on Sunday, there had to be a lot of concern about him in Dallas.

19. New York Jets (1-2, LW: 14)
#Geno'd

18. Buffalo Bills (2-1, LW: 18)
Honest story: A Bills fan ripped these power rankings, then sent me his own that had the Bills as the fifth best team in the NFL. Brilliant.

17. Pittsburgh Stealers (2-1, LW: 19)
There's some things you can't predict before a draft, like a Le'Veon Bell losing 20 pounds before his second season and re-inventing himself as one of the best backs in the NFL.

16. Baltimore Ravens (2-1, LW: 17)
Judging a decision by results vs. process: It wasn't the right call to kick a 21-yard field goal trailing by four points with five minutes left. It worked out very well in the end despite it all. Huzzah.

15. Atlanta Falcons (2-1, LW: 20)
So are they going to just be the Saints, incredible and unbeatable at home and just meh on the road?

14. San Francisco 49ers (1-2, LW: 7)
If they can't beat the Eagles at home on Sunday, it might get really ugly.

13. Chicago Bears (2-1, LW: 12)
Their best player on Monday night was the opposing quarterback.

12. Detroit Lions (2-1, LW: 15)
If that defensive performance is what we can expect to see the rest of the season, the Lions will be nearly unbeatable. Also, they could lose by four touchdowns in their next game and nobody would be surprised.

11. San Diego Chargers (2-1, LW: 13) 
There's some concern about who is healthy enough to run the ball, but this is a really well coached, solid team.

10. Green Bay Packers (1-2, LW: 8)
I have to assume the offense will come alive, but this team doesn't look anything like a Super Bowl contender so far.

9. New Orleans Saints (1-2, LW: 10)
They took forever to put away a Vikings team without Adrian Peterson and a rookie quarterback who was pressed into action, at the Superdome. Is it possible they're just not that good? Still giving them the Drew Brees-Sean Payton benefit of the doubt but it's starting to run thin.

8. Carolina Panthers (2-1, LW: 6)
They'll have some games like that, when the offensive line just is not good enough to give the team a chance.

7. Indianapolis Colts (1-2, LW: 11)
Sunday was a reminder: They have the easiest schedule in the NFL. And that counted starting with Denver and Philly. Lot more laughers to come.

6. Arizona Cardinals (3-0, LW: 9) 
To be honest, I don't think they should be this high. But look at the teams behind them and tell me who you trust more right now.

5. Philadelphia Eagles (3-0, LW: 5)
Nick Foles leads the NFL in passing yards, but yet, am I the only one that doesn't feel like he's playing that great?

4. New England Patriots (2-1, LW: 3) 
Tom Brady's 5.5 yards per attempt is 42nd among all 49 players who have thrown one pass this season. Among regular starting quarterbacks, only Derek Carr and Ryan Tannehill average less. It's a big problem.

3. Cincinnati Bengals (3-0, LW: 4)
Love the Andy Dalton TD catch. That's when you know things are going well.

2. Denver Broncos (2-1, LW: 1)
Even in a loss, the Broncos now know they can compete with anyone. I'm not sure they really believed they could compete with Seattle before Sunday.

1. Seattle Seahawks (2-1, LW: 2) 
It's amazing how they'll go stretches where you'd swear they have 13 or 14 defensive players on the field.

This is about where I would rank the top 6 as well.

Seattle Seahawks (2-1) HIGH: 1 / LOW: 2

For almost the entire game the Seahawks flashed their defensive dominance by utilizing an aggressive game plan that featured safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor attacking more. This resulted in the duo creating several stops in the run game to go along with a forced fumble and an interception. Russell Wilson and the offense struggled at times, but came up big when they had to in overtime. Is anyone beating them in Seattle?

4.png
Cincinnati Bengals (3-0) HIGH: 2 / LOW: 18

Another dominant performance in the trenches. Facing Ray Horton’s pressure-based Titans defense, the Bengals managed to prevent all but one quarterback hurry the entire game. On defense, second-year DE Margus Hunt continues to show progress and could be an impact player late in the season. The Bengals have an identity that they stick by and they are very good at what they do

7.png
Denver Broncos (2-1) HIGH: 1 / LOW: 3

The defense sparked the comeback and Peyton Manning nearly helped the Broncos knock off the defending champions in the toughest place to play in the NFL. Newcomer Emmanuel Sanders built on his early season momentum with 149 yards on 11 catches—eight of which went for first downs. We also caught a glimpse of how dominant Von Miller can be when healthy—he racked up eight hurries, a sack, and made four stops in the run game. The Broncos have a better roster than they did in 2013.

22.png
Arizona Cardinals (3-0) HIGH: 4 / LOW: 13

Backup quarterback Drew Stanton is now 2-0 as a starter. After struggling a bit and serving as more of a game manager against the Giants, Stanton showed improved pocket presence and his two touchdown passes to rookie WR John Brown helped overcome a 14-6 defect against the 49ers. Despite not having Carson Palmer, Bruce Arians stuck to his scheme and called for 13 deep passes—more than any team in Week 3. This is a team that knows what they want to do, executes, and makes very few mental errors.

24.png
San Diego Chargers (2-1) HIGH: 5 / LOW: 17

Despite a cross country trek for a 1 p.m. start, the Chargers built on their momentum from dethroning the Seahawks and handily defeated the previously unbeaten Bills. QB Philip Rivers proved once again why he will garner MVP consideration, delivering accurate throws before pressure arrived at his feet. The defense has taken another step forward and free-agent pickup CB Brandon Flowers played exceptionally well, limiting Sammy Watkins to just two receptions for 19 yards.

21.png
Philadelphia Eagles (3-0) HIGH: 5 / LOW: 8

Once again the defense started out slowly and, once again, closed with a couple key plays and an interception. Nick Foles played admirably despite little help from his banged-up offensive line, but LeSean McCoy didn’t fare as well. McCoy took a blow to the head, and struggled behind the patchwork unit. There was also another multi-week injury to one of their better remaining lineman (Jason Kelce). This will be a major issue going forward.

29.png
Carolina Panthers (2-1) HIGH: 4 / LOW: 15

The offensive line struggles came to a head. The Panthers allowed a Stealers defense that had been torched through two weeks to wreak havoc and neutralize their offense. The Panthers defense, missing Greg Hardy, showed vulnerability in the secondary and also allowed the Stealers to rack up more than 200 yards on the ground.

8.png
Detroit Lions (2-1) HIGH: 8 / LOW: 22

The Lions front four looked dominant once again after returning to their home turf. Nick Fairley dominated the Packers offensive line and Aaron Rodgers looked uncomfortable most of the day. The Lions offense controlled the line of scrimmage and the time of possession with a Reggie Bush-dominated game plan. Bush racked up 61 yards on 12 carries and a score and ducked four tackles.

1.png
Atlanta Falcons (2-1) HIGH: 9 / LOW: 19

The Falcons scored 56 points, but the real story was the improved play of their defense. Former undrafted free agent LB Paul Worrilow highlighted the defensive performance, racking up a forced fumble, two pressures, and limiting yardage against him while in coverage. Both Robert Alford and Desmond Trufant shut down the Bucs’ imposing wide receivers and both are turning into premier cornerbacks. With Matt Ryan approaching elite status and a defense that looks much improved after transitioning to more 3-4 defensive looks, this is a team to watch out for.

33.png
Baltimore Ravens (2-1) HIGH: 9 / LOW: 16

Aided by two missed field goals by the Browns, the Ravens survived after a defensive stop followed by a game-winning field goal drive on back-to-back possessions. Led by LG Kelechi Osemele, who has allowed just one pressure all season, the Ravens offensive line dominated again, allowing just 11 total pressures and paving the way for the running backs to accumulate a 4.8 yards-per-carry average.

17.png
New England Patriots (2-1) HIGH: 4 / LOW: 11

The Patriots got the victory, but it wasn’t pretty as they struggled to move the ball on the ground and only scored one offensive touchdown against a previously porous Raiders defense. LT Nate Solder was a whipping boy for a third consecutive week as he allowed three hits on Tom Brady, who completed 24 passes for just 234 yards. They won’t draw the Vikings and Raiders every week, and this team needs to start moving the ball more consistently.

11.png
Indianapolis Colts (1-2) HIGH: 6 / LOW: 12

Pep Hamilton finally allowed Andrew Luck to open things up and he responded by going 31-of-39 for 370 yards, four touchdowns and no turnovers. Ahmad Bradshaw built an even stronger case for why he deserves to be the feature back going forward after racking up 83 total yards and a touchdown on 11 touches. Beating up on the Jaguars is one thing, but the Colts will need to win a meaningful game to be included among the league’s elite.

3.png
Chicago Bears (2-1) HIGH: 7 / LOW: 18

Despite playing with a hobbled Brandon Marshall and a depleted secondary, the Bears won the battle of mistakes and escaped Monday night’s game with a victory. In the process, rookie CB Kyle Fuller had another impressive game with one interception, one forced fumble that wasn’t recovered by the defense and another near interception. At the same time, the Bears suffered more injuries to what was already the league’s thinnest secondary and this is a major issue going forward.

25.png
San Francisco 49ers (1-2) HIGH: 3 / LOW: 14

The 49ers blew another halftime lead after stalling on offense in the second half. Despite going pass-heavy, they finished with just 236 yards passing and after the game Frank Gore didn’t seem too pleased with his role. For a second week in a row, Colin Kaepernick missed on a couple key throws late in the game. This roster is not as effective as they were during last year’s playoff run.

2.png
Buffalo Bills (2-1) HIGH: 14 / LOW: 31

Sammy Watkins wasn’t able to repeat on his impressive Week 2 breakout, and he and E.J. Manuel can share the blame for that. Watkins hauled in just two of eight targets for 19 yards and was noticeably late on turning into several throws. After a week off, the same unfortunate trend was on display again as Manuel looked uncomfortable in the pocket and showed poor footwork that led to inaccurate passes. This is a team that needs to dominate on both lines and control the clock by successfully running the ball if they want to get back to their winning ways.

23.png
Pittsburgh Stealers (2-1) HIGH: 15 / LOW: 20

The Stealers defense made up for its miserable start to the season, but in the same night they lost three starters to injury. The real reason why they were able to blow out a previously unbeaten team was due to their dominance on offense fueled by their offensive line. A great win can’t be ignored, but the defense is now going to need to rely on some questionable talent to replace injured starters who were already struggling.

9.png
Green Bay Packers (1-2) HIGH: 5 / LOW: 17

The Packers offensive line was dominated by the impressive Lions front four—Aaron Rodgers was held to 162 yards passing and Eddie Lacy added just 36 yards on 11 carries. Much like their first loss, the defense was simply on the field for too long. On a positive note, free-agent signing Julius Peppers led an improved defensive performance with a sack, two hits and four hurries.

5.png
Cleveland Browns (1-2) HIGH: 18 / LOW: 25
Two missed field goals will be the story of why the Browns lost, but they also failed to move the ball or get a stop on the final two possessions. Rookie LG Joel Bitonio continues to look like a veteran and the running game has stayed consistently effective. The defense needs to improve their pass coverage to keep points off the board and turn these close losses into wins.

18.png
New Orleans Saints (1-2) HIGH: 3 / LOW: 19
The Saints offense got off to a hot start but cooled off when the Vikings made a defensive adjustment. The pass rush duo of Junior Galette and Cameron Jordan combined for 12 pressures and disrupted the Vikings passing game all day. This was a big step forward for the defense and team as a whole, but it’s hard to show too much confidence in a win against a team that has looked terrible without their best player in Adrian Peterson.

19.png
New York Giants (1-2) HIGH: 20 / LOW: 28
An early fumble in the red zone and botched snap on a field goal had Giants fans getting flashbacks to Week 2. However, the Giants continued to dominate the game on offense and defense, and eventually they piled points on the scoreboard. Reports of Eli Manning’s demise were greatly exaggerated. Over the last two games, Manning has completed 69 percent of his passes for 511 yards and a QBR of 103. Through three weeks, the Giants opponents have a combined 7-2 record.

20.png
New York Jets (1-2) HIGH: 19 / LOW: 22
The Jets made too many mistakes on special teams and on offense. Geno Smith threw an pick-six and an interception in the end zone. You have to also question why Chris Ivory wasn’t on the field on the final series after looking like the team’s best skill position player all night. The depleted secondary has forced Rex Ryan to utilize an all-or-nothing defensive scheme which makes this team hard to predict going forward.

6.png
Dallas Cowboys (2-1) HIGH: 22 / LOW: 27
After going down 21 points to QB Austin Davis and the Rams, the Cowboys battled back to steal a win. It’s risky to read too much into this game as the Rams inexplicably blew coverage on Dez Byrant’s long touchdown and Davis sealed the game by throwing a pick six. The Cowboys have a strong offensive line and running game, and a better defense than expected after hiring Rod Marinelli as defensive coordinator, but unfortunately they don’t get to play the Rams again.

15.png
Miami Dolphins (1-2) HIGH: 13 / LOW: 25
Ryan Tannehill and the passing game faded into obscurity in the fourth quarter. The offensive line’s play has trended downward and Tannehill has suffered through over 150 yards lost in dropped passes, and yet bumbling head coach Joe Philbin is reportedly meeting with team officials to discuss benching the young signal caller—that is the true sign of a team in disarray.

16.png
Minnesota Vikings (1-2) HIGH: 19 / LOW: 30
The offense continued to struggle without Adrian Peterson until Matt Cassel went down to injury and Teddy Bridgewater entered the game. Bridgewater showed poise under heavy pressure and extended several plays with his legs. The defense made adjustments and slowed down the Saints offense. Rookie Anthony Barr picked up a sack, two additional pressures and a batted pass. With Bridgewater at the helm, there may be hope going forward.

34.png
Houston Texans (2-1) HIGH: 18 / LOW: 29
The Texans ran into their first premier run defense and their running game was stifled, this time without Arian Foster. Ryan Fitzpatrick turned the ball over four times. What’s more concerning is the fact that the defense was exposed, allowing nearly 200 yards on the ground.

12.png
Kansas City Chiefs (1-2) HIGH: 13 / LOW: 26
In a game that featured 12 punts, the Chiefs won the battle on the line of scrimmage on defense to limit the Dolphins from executing on several fourth-quarter chances. The Chiefs struggled to move the ball on offense and left a lot to be desired going forward.

28.png
Washington Redskins (1-2) HIGH: 14 / LOW: 31
Kirk Cousins went 4-of-6 for 184 yards on deep targets and finished with a ridiculous 427 yards passing despite suffering five dropped passes. His fourth quarter went awry, however, and an interception ended the team’s hopes of winning. Going forward the story for this team may be health as they lost two starters in an already weak secondary to season-ending injury (DeAngelo Hall and Duke Ihenacho).

14.png
St. Louis Rams (1-2) HIGH: 12 / LOW: 30
Late turnovers and blown coverages on defense resulted in a loss after the Rams got out to an early 21-0 lead. A decision by Jeff Fisher to go for it on fouth-and-1 instead of taking the three points proved crucial. With Austin Davis at the helm, the Rams simply can’t afford to make any coaching or mental errors if they want to win games.

10.png
Tennessee Titans (1-2) HIGH: 21 / LOW: 31
After a solid first game of the season, Jake Locker has really struggled in his last two. Locker’s woes have been highlighted when opposing defenses have blitzed or gotten pressure on him. The Titans defense has also been exposed in the run game. With major issues on both sides of the ball, the Titans are trending downward at a rapid rate.

13.png
Oakland Raiders (0-3) HIGH: 29 / LOW: 32
Questionable officiating on a late call played a role in the Raiders' failed attempt to pull off a major upset, but overall we saw signs of improvement. Rookie Khalil Mack was excellent for a second consecutive week, racking up four stops in the running game and adding two hits on Tom Brady. Derek Carr continues to show signs of improvement and it looks like he can win in this league with the right talent around him.

30.png
Jacksonville Jaguars (0-3) HIGH: 28 / LOW: 31
This game got out of hand fast as the Jaguars were down 30-0 at halftime. On a positive note, rookie Blake Bortles saw his first game action and showed promise. His final two drives ended with touchdown passes. Overall, this roster is not ready to compete with their talent-depleted offensive line and a secondary that still can’t cover.

27.png
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-3) HIGH: 23 / LOW: 32
The Bucs allowed 56 points on the road. The Falcons had 35 points before the Bucs picked up a first down. The good news is that they should get impact defensive linemen Gerald McCoy and Michael Johnson back soon. The bad news is that the rest of their defense looks undisciplined and lost in Lovie Smith’s scheme.

Week Three power rankings
Posted by Mike Florio on September 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

1. Seattle Seahawks (No. 1 last week; 2-1):  Why couldn’t they have toyed with the Broncos like this in February?

2. Cincinnati Bengals (No. 5; 3-0):  It’s a lot easier to be among the NFL’s best when there aren’t playoff games to win.

3. Denver Broncos (No. 2; 2-1):  At least they won’t be intimidated if they play Seattle again in February.

4. Philadelphia Eagles (No. 7; 3-0):  How long until Cary Williams is doing shirtless situps in his driveway?

5. New England Patriots (No. 3; 2-1):  Given the way he secured the game-clinching interception, maybe Vince Wilfork should be moved to tight end.

6. Arizona Cardinals (No. 8; 3-0):  Bruce Arians isn’t the coach of the year; he’s the coach of the century.

7. Baltimore Ravens (No. 10; 2-1):  Given the way this team plays under duress, maybe the next conspiracy should be to start more conspiracies.

8. San Diego Chargers (No. 12; 2-1):  It’ll be hard to keep winning games if they keep losing running backs every week.

9. Atlanta Falcons (No. 14; 2-1):  They should have saved some of those points for later in the season.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 16; 2-1):  At a time when the Panthers were becoming the Steelers, the Steelers showed the Panthers who the Steelers really are.

11. New Orleans Saints (No. 11; 1-2):  Before Drew Brees was slammed to the ground, it looked like the Vikings were applying a sleeper hold to the Saints.

12. Detroit Lions (No. 17; 2-1):  Stephen Tulloch’s injury proves that the Lions haven’t had nearly enough practice celebrating things.

13. Chicago Bears (No. 13; 2-1):  Two non-convincing road wins are still a lot better than two non-convincing road losses.

14. Green Bay Packers (No. 4; 1-2):  Maybe they just stink.

15. Carolina Panthers (No. 6; 2-1):  Maybe they should reinstate Greg Hardy so he can play on the offensive line.

16. Indianapolis Colts (No. 15; 1-2):  Yes, the Jaguars are so bad that blowing them out results in a one-spot drop in the rankings.

17. San Francisco 49ers (No. 9; 1-2):  That “Who’s got it better than us?” chant could soon become, “Who doesn’t?”

18. Buffalo Bills (No. 18; 2-1):  Yep, we know how the “Bills start strong in September” book ends.

19. Dallas Cowboys (No. 23; 2-1):  This team is still a long way from glorywhole.

20. Houston Texans (No. 19; 2-1):  I have a feeling I won’t be hearing from many of the folks who had complained that the 2-0 Texans were only No. 19.

21. New York Jets (No. 20; 1-2):  It’s just a matter of time before Mike Vick is playing enough to get injured again.

22. Cleveland Browns (No. 21; 1-2):  The schedule softens considerably on the other side of the bye week.

23. Washington (No. 22; 1-2):  When they trade RGIII, they probably won’t get three first-round picks and a second-round pick.

24. Kansas City Chiefs (No. 28; 1-2):  With games against the Patriots and 49ers looming, that win at Miami likely helped avoid taking an 0-5 record into the bye week.

25. Miami Dolphins (No. 24; 1-2):  Losing two games in a row after beating the Patriots has become a trend.

26. New York Giants (No. 30; 1-2):  One win over a team with a fraudulent 2-0 record doesn’t mean everything is fixed.

27. St. Louis Rams (No. 25; 1-2):  It takes a bad team to make the Cowboys look that good.

28. Tennessee Titans (No. 26; 1-2):  Week One feels like it was a long time ago.

29. Minnesota Vikings (No. 27; 1-2):  A season of quiet optimism has yielded to loud pessimism.

30. Oakland Raiders (No. 32; 0-3):  Maybe they won’t go 0-16, after all.

31. Jacksonville Jaguars (No. 31; 0-3):  With all the focus on the team’s crappy offense, it’s easy to forget they have a crappy defense.

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (No. 29; 0-3):  Last week’s performance in the team’s new uniforms could make fans forget about all the horrible performances in the team’s original uniforms.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/23/week-three-power-rankings-5/

1 CIN.png They head into the bye at 3-0 behind a defense that has really impressed. The creativity on offense has been good the first three weeks.

powerrankings_green_up.png1(2)

2 ARI.png The 3-0 Cardinals have made a strong case for being considered a real division contender. Next up: Denver on the road after the bye.

powerrankings_green_up.png1(3)

3 SEA.png That was a nice drive to win it in overtime for the Seahawks against Denver. Russell Wilson came up big when it counted.

powerrankings_green_up.png1(4)

4 PHI.png Nick Foles and the offense are flying high, but that defense needs to tighten up a bit. They have a tough trip to San Francisco this week.

powerrankings_green_up.png2(6)

5 DEN.png The defense showed well against Seattle, which was needed. Now comes a bye before a big one with Arizona.

powerrankings_red_down.png4(1)

6 NE.png Yeah, they beat the Raiders. But it wasn't pretty. The offense has to get it going.

powerrankings_green_up.png1(7)

7 ATL.png They are a much different team at home than on the road. They have to break that pattern starting this week at Minnesota.

powerrankings_green_up.png4(11)

8 SD.png They are 2-1 and have the look of a team that will be a contender. Philip Rivers is playing good football.

powerrankings_green_up.png4(12)

9 BAL.png They are 2-1 and seem to have put the Ray Rice disaster to the side from a football standpoint. That's a credit to the players and coaches.

powerrankings_green_up.png5(14)

10 PIT.png The Stealers looked like the Stealers against Carolina: Physical and tough. They ran it down their throats.

powerrankings_green_up.png6(16)

11 CAR.png Was the Carolina team against the Stealers the one we expected to see or was it an aberration? What happened to the defense?

powerrankings_red_down.png6(5)

12 CHI.png Winning consecutive primetime games on the road is really impressive. The defense is getting better.

powerrankings_red_down.png3(9)

13 DET.png The defense came up big against the Packers, which won the game. That's a good sign going forward.

powerrankings_green_up.png5(18)

14 SF.png There has to be great concern with the 1-2 start. They just don't look like a playoff team.

powerrankings_red_down.png6(8)

15 GB.png It's hard to believe they are 1-2. What happened to Aaron Rodgers? He didn't look anything like himself.

powerrankings_red_down.png5(10)

16 IND.png Jacksonville proved to be a perfect tonic to get their first victory. Andrew Luck lit it up.

powerrankings_red_down.png3(13)

17 DAL.png That was an impressive come-from-behind victory for Tony Romo and the Cowboys. They are 2-1. Can you believe it?

powerrankings_green_up.png9(26)

18 NO.png Even in beating the Vikings, they just didn't look right. The good news is the defense was better.

powerrankings_green_up.png6(24)

19 BUF.png Was the 2-0 start a mirage? Was that the real Bills against the Chargers?

powerrankings_red_down.png4(15)

20 HOU.png Ryan Fitzpatrick was putrid in the first half against the Giants. They can't win if he's that bad.

powerrankings_red_down.png3(17)

21 NYJ.png At 1-2, they face another stiff test this week against Detroit off a short week. That won't be easy, and 1-3 is a big hole to climb out of for any team.

powerrankings_red_down.png1(20)

22 CLE.png What has happened to that defense? It can't stop the run. Don't blame the losses on Brian Hoyer.

powerrankings_red_down.png1(21)

23 MIN.png It's Teddy Bridgewater time for the Vikings. That's a good thing. It's the right time, even if it was an injury that made it happen.

powerrankings_red_down.png1(22)

24 STL.png Austin Davis did some good things against Dallas, but blowing a 21-0 lead has to sting.

powerrankings_red_down.png1(23)

25 NYG.png That was a desperation game against the Texans, and they played like it. Rashad Jennings had a heck of a day.

powerrankings_green_up.png3(28)

26 WAS.png The defense really struggled against the Eagles and now must play without DeAngelo Hall, their best corner. At least Kirk Cousins played well.

powerrankings_red_down.png1(25)

27 TEN.png That was a second consecutive bad performance in losing to the Bengals. The offense just isn't good enough.

emdash.png (27)

28 KC.png Does it matter who runs it? Knile Davis had a nice game at Miami to key the upset.

powerrankings_green_up.png1(29)

29 MIA.png Losing at home like they did to the Chiefs can only be termed a bad loss. How many more of those does Joe Philbin have before he's gone?

powerrankings_red_down.png10(19)

30 TB.png That was a disgusting showing against the Falcons. It's going to be a long, long season.

emdash.png (30)

31 JAC.png They finally made the move to Blake Bortles, which was the right thing to do. It's the start of a new era now.

emdash.png (31)

32 OAK.png They competed at New England, which is a step forward. The defense looked much better.

emdash.png (32)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/24721585/nfl-power-rankings-bengals-cards-look-like-contenders-for-now

RANK

CIN.png

3-0 BENGALS

Titans corner Blidi Wreh-Wilson should not feel bad about that Andy Dalton receiving touchdown from Sunday's Bengals win; it's widely known in NFL circles that Dalton always meets the ball at its highest point.

Cincinnati earned the top spot by virtue of having a defense that allows just 11 points per game, a quarterback who has made few mistakes and isn't asked to put everything on his shoulders and a running attack that is grinding out 121.7 yards per contest. Survey says! #2013 Seahawks2.0

RANK

PHI.png

3-0 EAGLES

Do you realize the Eagles are averaging 24.7 points per game this season in the second half alone? Here's an even more remarkable stat: Philadelphia is the first team in NFL history to start a season 3-0 after being down 10-plus points in all three games. Impressive that this team also seems to win when Nick Foles doesn't play at his best, the secondary falters (which happens often), or the run game fails (which almost never happens, but did Sunday, when Philly averaged 2.2 yards per carry against the Redskins).

RANK

ARI.png

3-0 CARDINALS

What a victory. What a victory. Let me say it again: What a non-loss! I mean, you'd think Arizona would have dropped at least one of the games Drew Stanton has started at quarterback, considering he was thrown into the role in New York in Week 2, then faced a tough NFC West opponent in the Niners who, entering Sunday's contest in Glendale, had lost just once to the Cardinals since 2008. The Cards were 9 of 14 on third and fourth downs against San Francisco. That wins games.

RANK

SD.png

2-1 CHARGERS

Absolutely agonized over my (ultimately incorrect) decision to pick the Bills over the Chargers on Sunday. Thought the hostile crowd and Buffalo's defense would give Philip Rivers the willies, but they didn't. Didn't give him the Phillies, either. Oh, that was not enjoyable to type.

What was enjoyable was watching the Bolts go vertical. Makes the game fun and forces the defense to play the entire field. #RiversMVP?

RANK

SEA.png

2-1 SEAHAWKS

Nice, resilient showing for the Seahawks, who prevailed even after sloppy play and the refs' failure to call offensive pass interference allowed the Broncos to even things up in Seattle on Sunday. Personally, I think Julius Thomas should've been allowed to put a Seahawks corner in a sleeper hold so that Wes Welker could run unabated and uncovered, but I digress ...

The five-spot might seem too low for this team, but considering San Diego soundly defeated Seattle and Arizona took care of San Diego, the Seahawks deserve to be behind both. And I'm not ready to vault those Cards over Philadelphia or Cincinnati.

RANK

DEN.png

2-1 BRONCOS

Give credit where credit is due: The Broncos refused to fold in the toughest house in football. Peyton Manning made the throws he had to in the late going, particularly on that soft, pin-point toss to Demaryius Thomas to get the 2-point conversion that sent Denver and Seattle to overtime. That said, the Broncos' improved defense couldn't do enough at the end to clinch a contest in which it had performed well enough to win.

RANK

NE.png

2-1 PATRIOTS

Ugly victory. Of course, those still count. It's OK for people to call Sunday's win over the Raiders an escape. It's also safe to question the Patriots' offense, specifically Tom Brady's play. New England is getting nada downfield; the Pats' "long" play of the day went for all of 22 yards. We did have a Danny Amendola sighting, though! It was a drop in the end zone.

RANK

CHI.png

2-1 BEARS

Nice road win, even if it looked like neither team wanted it there for a while. Not sure how many of you are on LinkedIn ... but if you know any defensive backs looking for work, pass their profiles along to the Bears' coaching staff, because they are seriously hurtin' for some healthy bodies. My intuition tells me Marc Trestman is more of a Myspace guy.

RANK

BAL.png

2-1 RAVENS

Baltimore gets out of Cleveland with the close win and will keep plodding along, despite the lack of a dominant defender or someone who can pick things up in the running game.

This week, the role of Justin Forsett and Bernard Pierce was filled by rookie running back Lorenzo Taliaferro. Who hasn't heard of him? In case you were wondering, Taliaferro was a feared Chanticleer in college; he's also a Capricorn and loves kittens. OK, I made that last part up ... but he did gain 5.1 yards per carry on 18 totes Sunday.

RANK

ATL.png

2-1 FALCONS

The Falcons' complete domination of the Buccaneers on Thursday night deserves a solid jump in the rankings, even if Tampa Bay's offense serves as its opponents' defense ... which is to say, Atlanta didn't have to do much in this game. The Falcons' attack is going to be a tough out for anyone visiting the Georgia Dome; still, I don't believe they'll win more than nine games this year.

On another note, I did wonder if the NFL record for points scored by a single team in a game -- held by the Bears for their 73-0 shellacking of the Redskins in the 1940 NFL Championship -- was in danger. Holy cow. Did anyone else at least think about it? (@HarrisonNFL)

RANK

BUF.png

2-1 BILLS

Yep, the Bills topped the Bears in Week 1 and now rank below them. But the simple fact of the matter is, Buffalo was soundly defeated at home on Sunday, while Chicago's only loss so far is that overtime squeaker to start the season. Also, the Bears' weakness -- their defense -- seems to have at least been partially fixed, whereas the Bills are still having trouble getting the ball vertical. Frankly, EJ Manuel just isn't an accurate passer at this point in his career, at least not consistently.

RANK

PIT.png

2-1 Stealers

Wow. The Stealers put up 264 yards rushing in Sunday night's win over the Panthers.

Read that stat again. It took Pittsburgh just 34 carries to get there, too, meaning the squad did what it will need to do to stay in the AFC North race, i.e., not putting everything on the quarterback play. Speaking of, what a clutch throw by Ben Roethlisberger on his first touchdown pass of the evening to Antonio Brown. #droppindimes

RANK

CAR.png

2-1 PANTHERS

What's next for this team after Sunday's defeat? Other than facing a 2-1 Ravens club in Baltimore, that is. There's only one thing Panthers fans will hear more about this Sunday than former Carolina receiver Steve Smith Sr. squaring off against his old team: the fact that Matthew McConaughey doesn't drive Lincolns to make a statement.

RANK

NO.png

1-2 SAINTS

Ah, ain't it good to have a nice, warm bowl of gumbo after a win? There's a Cajun place in Hermosa Beach that serves up New Orleans food, and I thought about the transplanted Saints fans that might have sauntered in for some shrimp creole to celebrate the team's return to relevance Sunday.

Tough to figure out how this club couldn't put up more than 20 on the Vikings, or how New Orleans has started 1-2. Drew Brees is completing 70 percent of his passes and has thrown just two picks. The ground attack is averaging 140.3 yards per game and nearly 5 yards per carry. And the offense as a whole has converted 24 of 39 third downs. Is it all on the defense, Saints fans? (@HarrisonNFL)

RANK

DET.png

2-1 LIONS

Now that's the effort we've been wanting to see from the Lions' defense, especially considering the fact that the Packers attack they defeated represented a far more formidable challenge than the offenses they faced in Week 1 ( Giants) or Week 2 ( Panthers). And then we even had a Reggie Bush breakaway.

That said, as with Buffalo above, Detroit's quarterback play has been less than effective. Matthew Stafford would be the first tell you he and his cohorts must improve.

RANK

GB.png

1-2 PACKERS

I'm just as shocked you that the Packers are this low. But after they vanquished in Detroit, where everyone's "greatest quarterback of all time" failed to put many points on the board for the second time this season, it's hard to know what to do with this team. Aaron Rodgers is indeed a fantastic player, but he produced little on Sunday; ditto for running back Eddie Lacy, who doesn't look like himself. Of course, it all starts up front, and therein lies the problem for Green Bay.

RANK

IND.png

1-2 COLTS

Anyone wondering if the Colts would respond angrily after blowing a home game last Monday night and faltering in key situations in Denver in Week 1 received their answer. Indianapolis put up more than 500 yards of offense against the Jacksonville Jaguars, despite the fact the Colts were more than tapping the brakes in the fourth quarter of their Week 3 rout.

RANK

SF.png

1-2 49ERS

Sure looked like the 49ers' offense was in control in the first half of Sunday's collapse against the Cardinals -- much like San Francisco seemed to be in control of last week's collapse against the Bears. The Niners have now been outpaced in the second half of games this year by the score of 52-3.

RANK

NYJ.png

1-2 JETS

Unlike the next few teams on our rankings, New York has yet to be blown out. Trying to pick between the Jets, Cowboys, Giants, Chiefs, Dolphins and Browns (Nos. 19-24) is darn near impossible. The upside? NYJ has hung with potential playoff teams two weeks in a row, plus this group can run the football and stop the run, too.

RANK

DAL.png

2-1 COWBOYS

Down 21-0 against the Rams, this club just wouldn't pack it in. Tony Romo was so pleased afterward, he apparently decided to wear Larry Allen's suit jacket for the postgame news conference.

It's ironic that back when the Cowboys were considered one of the most talented teams in the NFL -- from 2007 to 2009 or so -- no one thought they had the character to overcome adversity. Today, no one thinks Dallas has a Pomeranian's chance of doing anything -- and yet, there the Cowboys were, pulling a victory out of their pink-bowed fur Sunday. If only they could've come back from that same deficit in a certain playoff game 20 years ago that some of you older Dallas fans might remember.

RANK

NYG.png

1-2 GIANTS

Nice win, and all smiles after. Interesting to hear, in the postgame news conference, Eli Manning reference the "early '90s rap" Giants coach Tom Coughlin's iPad contains. I always thought Coughlin was a Rage guy.

RANK

KC.png

1-2 CHIEFS

That's two solid efforts in a row from these sky-is-falling Chiefs. Simply an outstanding afternoon for the defense, which gave Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill no room for error in Sunday's win. Kansas City also stopped Miami on 13 of 17 third and fourth downs.

RANK

MIA.png

1-2 DOLPHINS

Miami continued to get some pop from its rushing attack, much like it has throughout the season (especially in Week 1). Once again, though, the passing game failed to connect in Sunday's loss. Through three games, Ryan Tannehill has precisely zero completions of more than 30 yards.

RANK

CLE.png

1-2 BROWNS

Wretched loss for Cleveland. Where do we begin? Missed field goals sure do hurt. How about racking up 12 penalties? Or that completion to Steve Smith, Sr. that set up Baltimore's winning field goal? Here's hoping no one puts the Browns' 1-2 record on the fact that Brian Hoyer is starting. Johnny Manziel ain't out there kicking and he ain't out there playing corner.

RANK

HOU.png

2-1 TEXANS

Yep, the Texans were run over by the Giants at MetLife. Speaking of MetLife, it's a surprise Snoopy wasn't out there playing tight end. This is a team that's trying to stay viable with Ryan Fitzpatrick at starting quarterback and Alfred Blue -- a sixth-round pick filling in for the injured Arian Foster -- at tailback. And, of course, the first overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, Jadeveon Clowney, is still out. If Kevin Bass has to play wideout against the Bills on Sunday ...

RANK

WAS.png

1-2 REDSKINS

If only we could move the Redskins up further, because they probably deserve it. Then again, the club did fall in Philly, and its only win so far did come against the worst team in the NFL.

Kirk Cousins confirmed every Redskins fan's fears Sunday: He is better than Robert Griffin III.

RANK

TEN.png

1-2 TITANS

After a promising offseason and Week 1 win in Kansas City, Tennessee has certainly taken a step back (or two). Over the past two weeks, the Titans fell to the Cowboys and Bengals by the combined score of 59-17. I wouldn't going so far as to say coach Ken Whisenhunt looked defeated in his postgame presser, but it wasn't hard to see a guy who was pretty frustrated with his team.

RANK

MIN.png

1-2 VIKINGS

So Teddy Bridgewater -- like the Raiders' Derek Carr before him and the Jags' Blake Bortles this week -- will be making the first NFL start of his career. The youngster didn't fare too badly in his first official regular-season action (12 of 20 for 150 yards) while filling in for injured Vikings quarterback Matt Cassel on Sunday, and he certainly looked like a kid in a candy store fraternizing with Drew Brees after the loss to the Saints. Bridgewater was 8 years old when Brees made his NFL debut.

RANK

STL.png

1-2 RAMS

Whether it stemmed from frustration or not, that was some B.S. on the Rams' sideline Sunday. Make the play or don't, and if you don't, Jared Cook, then go back out there and work your tail off. Thank goodness Cook didn't hurt Austin Davis with that shove; otherwise, we might have seen Tony Banks get signed this week.

RANK

OAK.png

0-3 RAIDERS

It might have been a takedown, but it was clear Raiders guard Gabe Jackson beat his man at the point of attack on the run by Darren McFadden that appeared to tie the Raiders' matchup with the Patriots late in the fourth quarter on Sunday. Curious what the unbiased fan would say about that play, in which a touchdown was wiped out by a penalty called on Jackson. Either way, we saw a heckuva lot more fight out of this group in the loss to New England than we did the previous week. Now we just need to see some wins.

RANK

TB.png

0-3 BUCCANEERS

Well, Tampa Bay did win the fourth quarter on Thursday night, 14-0. #buildingblocks

RANK

JAC.png

0-3 JAGUARS

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000399508/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-4-bengals-at-no-1-packers-slip

2. Cincinnati Bengals (No. 5; 3-0):  It’s a lot easier to be among the NFL’s best when there aren’t playoff games to win.

To put them at 2 and make such a backhanded comment is ridiculous.  

And then at 10...

10. Pittsburgh Stealers (No. 16; 2-1):  At a time when the Panthers were becoming the Stealers, the Stealers showed the Panthers who the Stealers really are.

You'd think he'd have switched the spots around for these two teams based off the comments.  

And then at 10...

10. Pittsburgh Stealers (No. 16; 2-1):  At a time when the Panthers were becoming the Stealers, the Stealers showed the Panthers who the Stealers really are.

You'd think he'd have switched the spots around for these two teams based off the comments.  

Florio is a steelers fan you should expect him to not be fair minded.

And then at 10...

I was just about to say something about this. Took the words right out of mouth . 

Not surprising that it's from Florio. Fuck that tool. 

4.png
Cincinnati Bengals (3-0) HIGH: 2 / LOW: 18

Another dominant performance in the trenches. Facing Ray Horton’s pressure-based Titans defense, the Bengals managed to prevent all but one quarterback hurry the entire game. On defense, second-year DE Margus Hunt continues to show progress and could be an impact player late in the season. The Bengals have an identity that they stick by and they are very good at what they do

Thanks for posting.

Love the love for him coming from elsewhere.

And what happened to him Sunday?

I saw him flat on his face for awhile on the opposite side of

the field from where I was sitting but never heard what happened.

Did someone drive a wooden stake through his heart or what?

Thanks for posting.
Love the love for him coming from elsewhere.

And what happened to him Sunday?
I saw him flat on his face for awhile on the opposite side of
the field from where I was sitting but never heard what happened.
Did someone drive a wooden stake through his heart or what?

I can't find exactly what happened but Lewis said he will be fine for New England.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/4

1 1
Last Week: 2 Russell Wilson's career record against Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady is 7-0. After Sunday's overtime win, the Seahawks are still clearly the team to beat. 2 1
Last Week: 3 Andy Dalton is the only qualified quarterback in the league who hasn't been sacked this season. That, and a league-best plus-6 turnover margin, helps explain Cincinnati's hot start. 3 2
Last Week: 1 Tough overtime loss in Seattle, but now the Broncos get two weeks to prepare for hosting the Cardinals. Peyton Manning's next touchdown makes him the second with 500 career TD passes. 4
--

Last Week: 4 The Eagles have a takeaway in 15 consecutive games, the longest active streak. Philadelphia is the first team in NFL history to start 3-0 after trailing by double digits in all three. 5 4
Last Week: 9 Michael Floyd? Larry Fitzgerald? Nope. It's John Brown who has caught three of the Cardinals' four passing touchdowns this season, including two in Sunday's win. 6 4
Last Week: 10 The Chargers won despite averaging 2.3 yards per rush, the third straight game they've rushed for fewer than 3.0 yards per rush. Injuries at running back aren't helping. 7 2
Last Week: 5 The defense has covered for Tom Brady's shaky start (24th in QBR). New England has eight takeaways, tied with the Bears for the most of any team in the league. 8 3
Last Week: 11 Ryan Mundy beat Chris Johnson to the end zone for a pick-six Monday. Since 2010, the Bears have returned 19 interceptions for touchdowns, six more than the next closest team. 9 8
Last Week: 17 Julio Jones on Thursday caught a career-high five passes thrown at least 15 yards downfield, for 120 yards, most such receptions in a game by any receiver this season. 10 4
Last Week: 6 Carolina allowed 244 rush yards between the tackles Sunday, the most of any team in a single game in Stats & Info's data set (since 2006). Baltimore may try a similar approach. 11 8
Last Week: 19 LeGarrette Blount and Le'Veon Bell each topped 100 rush yards Sunday night, Pittsburgh's first game with two 100-yard rushers since Oct. 26, 1986 (Walter Abercrombie and Earnest Jackson). 12 6
Last Week: 18 Detroit has allowed 2.8 yards per rush, second-best in the league. How will the defense cope with the loss of Stephen Tulloch, placed on injured reserve (torn ACL) Monday? 13
--

Last Week: 13 Joe Flacco is averaging 9.1 yards per attempt targeting Steve Smith Sr. and 4.9 to all other targets. Smith is stepping up while namesake Torrey has stumbled (caught six of 15 targets). 14 1
Last Week: 15 Andrew Luck was the first quarterback in ESPN Stats & Info's data set (since 2006) to attempt at least five passes deeper than 20 yards downfield without an incompletion (6-of-6). 15 1
Last Week: 16 Minnesota had no answer for short passes. Drew Brees was 16-of-16 for 126 yards on balls thrown 5 yards or less downfield Sunday, including 6-of-6 targeting Brandin Cooks. 16 9
Last Week: 7 San Francisco has scored three points after halftime this season. The 49ers have been outscored by 49 points in the second half this season, worst in the league. 17 9
Last Week: 8 Aaron Rodgers posted a 58.3 completion percentage and 5.8 yards per attempt average against Detroit's standard pressure, both career lows for Rodgers against the Lions. 18 4
Last Week: 22 The Cowboys finished the game with more designed rushing plays (28) than designed drop-backs (24), improving the team's record to 8-1 under Jason Garrett when more rushes than passes are called. 19 7
Last Week: 12 Buffalo needs more from EJ Manuel. Manuel's QBR is 31.1, 32nd out of 35 qualified quarterbacks. Buffalo is the only team above .500 with negative offensive and defensive efficiencies. 20 6
Last Week: 14 All three of Ryan Fitzpatrick's interceptions Sunday came on throws at least 15 yards downfield. The Giants' defense had just two picks on deep throws in its previous 10 games. 21
Jets
1-2
--

Last Week: 21 The Jets had six red zone drives Monday, most since 2008. The Jets scored a touchdown on only one of those drives, their worst rate in a game since 2001 (min. five red zone drives). 22 5
Last Week: 27 It certainly wasn't flashy. All 25 of Alex Smith's passes traveled fewer than 10 yards downfield. His longest pass attempt of the game was thrown 8 yards downfield. 23 2
Last Week: 25 The Redskins have dropped seven straight divisional games, the longest active streak in the league. Kirk Cousins looked pretty good, though (30-of-48, 427 yards, three touchdowns, one interception). 24 1
Last Week: 23 Terrence West is one of 10 running backs with at least 200 yards this season. He's been an effective complement to Brian Hoyer in Cleveland's surprisingly productive offense (10th in points). 25 5
Last Week: 20 Ryan Tannehill's minus-4 passing yards against added pressure are the fewest in a game since 2012 (Brady Quinn, Week 8 vs. Raiders). How long is his leash with Joe Philbin? 26 4
Last Week: 30 Better late than never. Eli Manning and Victor Cruz were finally on the same page, as Cruz caught his first touchdown pass since Week 4 of last season. 27 3
Last Week: 24 On throws deeper than 5 yards downfield, Jake Locker was 6-of-20 for 98 yards and two interceptions Sunday. When Locker plays like that, there will be more losses to follow. 28
Rams
1-2
--

Last Week: 28 Austin Davis has posted a 66.7 Total QBR, 14th in the league and ahead of nine of the past 13 Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks (Flacco, E. Manning, Rodgers, Roethlisberger and Brady). 29 3
Last Week: 26 With Matt Cassel's injury, Teddy Bridgewater is the Vikings' starter for Week 4. He'll likely be going forward without Kyle Rudolph as well as Adrian Peterson. 30 2
Last Week: 32 Better performance, same result. Oakland has lost nine straight games, the longest active streak in the league, and 15 straight in the Eastern time zone (sixth-longest in Super Bowl era). 31 2
Last Week: 29 It didn't matter who played quarterback. The Falcons held the Buccaneers to 2-of-13 passing for 48 yards and an interception on passes thrown more than 10 yards downfield Thursday. 32 1
Last Week: 31 This season, the Jaguars are last in point margin per game, yards margin per game, Total QBR, time of possession and third-down conversion rate. It's Blake Bortles time.

RANK TEAM RECORD CHANGE HI/LOW

NOTES

1 Seattle
Seahawks
2-1 1 1/2

Russell Wilson now combined 7-0 against Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. Fair to call Wilson elite, too.

2 Cincinnati
Bengals
3-0 1 2/9

Even if pummeling the Titans isn't reason to celebrate, their Week 2 beatdown of the Falcons now looks far more impressive.

3 Denver
Broncos
2-1 2 1/3

If only they could have played Seattle this tough in the actual Super Bowl. Still, Denver can take many positives out of this loss.

4 Philadelphia
Eagles
3-0 1 4/8

They're the first team to start a season 3-0 after trailing each game by at least double digits. Glass half full and half empty?

5 Arizona
Cardinals
3-0 2 5/14

No shock they're 3-0 despite tough early schedule. But who would've thought they could do it with Drew Stanton starting twice?

6 San Diego
Chargers
2-1 4 6/16

Put Philip Rivers on early MVP short list. After all, his running game is cranking out 2.5 yards per over its last 74 rushes.

7 New England
Patriots
2-1 1 4/7

Didn't take them long to return to top of AFC East, but offense is clearly still not firing on all (or even most) cylinders.

8 Chicago
Bears
2-1 4 8/20

Impressive back-to-back wins on road, with wideouts operating well below 100%, re-establish them as emerging force.

9 Baltimore
Ravens
2-1 4 9/17

RBs Lorenzo Taliaferro, Justin Forsett and Kyle Juszczyk (who?) combined for 210 yards Sunday. Who needs Ray Rice? Or Bernard Pierce?

10 Indianapolis
Colts
1-2 6 7/16

They were almost perfect Sunday, though maybe they should've taken it easier on Chad Henne to keep him in Jags' lineup a while longer.

10 San Francisco
49ers
1-2 2 3/10

Team that couldn't close out last three seasons despite advancing to the NFC title game suddenly can't finish in second half.

12 Carolina
Panthers
2-1 8 4/14

We expected Cam Newton to struggle with overhauled O-line, receiving corps. We didn't expect D to get run over for 264 rushing yards.

13 Atlanta
Falcons
2-1 1 10/18

Almost as impressive as their 56 points were the 144 rushing yards and lone sack allowed of Matt Ryan, major turnarounds from 2013.

14 Pittsburgh
Stealers
2-1 6 11/20

Did they get possessed by '70s Stealers after posting two 100-yard rushers, taking the ball away and battering the opposing QB?

15 Detroit
Lions
2-1 6 15/21

Megatron was quiet. Matt Stafford committed three turnovers. And Detroit won by double digits. Now that's progress, Mr. Caldwell.

16 New Orleans
Saints
1-2 2 3/18

Nice to get into win column, but outlasting mortally wounded Vikings hardly an indicator Saints are suddenly back on the rails.

17 Green Bay
Packers
1-2 8 5/17

To quote Aaron Rodgers after Detroit loss, "We scored seven, and we gave up nine with our offense. They didn't even need to score."

18 Buffalo
Bills
2-1 7 11/31

Reality check or reality? Stalled drives, penalties and lack of explosive plays a recipe for losing they know all too well.

19 Dallas
Cowboys
2-1 3 19/28

Rushing leader DeMarco Murray another early MVP candidate. Home date with Saints should reveal if Dallas' warts have been excised.

20 Houston
Texans
2-1 5 15/26

Arian Foster's absence a convenient excuse for Sunday's faceplant. Harder to explain the defense getting torn up by the Giants.

21 New York
Jets
1-2 3 15/21

Geno Smith making enough questionable decisions that it seems inevitable Michael Vick will eventually get a shot to run the show.

22 Washington
Redskins
1-2 1 22/29

The quarterback controversy in D.C. isn't at a boil, but Kirk Cousins is quickly moving it beyond a slow simmer.

23 Miami
Dolphins
1-2 6 11/23

All that goodwill from opening day upset of Patriots? Gone. Fish thoroughly out played K.C. on stat sheet yet got thoroughly whupped.

24 Kansas City
Chiefs
1-2 3 15/27

Maybe they should consider running wishbone when Jamaal Charles returns because Knile Davis has earned more playing time.

25 New York
Giants
1-2 5 25/30

Offensive resuscitation stole the headlines, but the defense also picked off three passes and generated plenty of heat.

26 Cleveland
Browns
1-2 3 23/30

Bye week has arrived, the fork in road when many expected Johnny Manziel to lose the clipboard. He'll hold it a while longer.

27 Tennessee
Titans
1-2 1 21/28

Not an encouraging showing Sunday but couldn't have been easy to play just hours after death of ex-teammate Rob Bironas.

28 Minnesota
Vikings
1-2 3 19/28

Their master plan definitely did not entail Teddy Bridgewater handing the ball off to Matt Asiata.

29 St. Louis
Rams
1-2 1 20/31

Being competitive without Sam Bradford is great. Blowing 21-point lead while your tight end makes fool of himself, not so great.

30 Jacksonville
Jaguars
0-3 1 26/31

After hinting all summer they wanted rookie Blake Bortles to redshirt, why are they exposing him to so much risk behind this line?

31 Tampa Bay
Buccaneers
0-3 2 23/31

Team that seemed headed in right direction entering season suddenly isn't even remotely competitive. Gut check time.

32 Oakland
Raiders
0-3   32/32

They deserved better given efforts of rookie QB Derek Carr and the defense in New England. But life isn't fair in the NFL.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/rankings/

bengals_150.png
    Cincinnati Bengals

last week: 1
    record: 3-0
    Cincinnati's win over Tennessee on Sunday sort of drifted into the background of the other games, like the Florida State-Citadel or Oregon-Wyoming matchups did earlier this month in college football. Wyoming might have had as much chance of knocking off the Ducks as Tennessee did of upsetting the Bengals on Sunday. The 33-7 Bengals victory was practically sealed midway through the second quarter.

seahawks_150.png
    Seattle Seahawks

last week: 4
    record: 2-1
    Did we get a decibel reading from CenturyLink Field after the Broncos converted a late two-point conversion to tie Sunday's game? Not sure the place has been that quiet in the past decade.

It was rocking again a few minutes later, when Marshawn Lynch scored in overtime to end it. Good teams keep games close. Great teams find a way to win.

broncos_150.png
    Denver Broncos

last week: 2
    Two conclusions among many that could be drawn from the Broncos' overtime loss: Firstly, if nothing else, Denver's game-tying drive gave the offense some confidence, knowing it can move the ball on Seattle -- an important mental hurdle to clear should these teams see each other again in the Super Bowl. Secondly, the overtime rules are still stupid. Outside of maybe the Seahawks' own fans, did anyone feel satisfied without seeing one Peyton Manning possession in overtime?

cardinals_150.png
    Arizona Cardinals

last week: 6
    Well, the NFL schedule is going to sap some drama from next week's Power Rankings. Arizona has a bye, as do the Bengals, Seahawks and Broncos -- a setup that could repeat itself come the wild-card round.

And, yes, Arizona is capable of not just keeping up its current level or winning the West, but competing for the Super Bowl. Defensive coordinator Todd Bowles should be patrolling another team's sideline as a rookie head coach next season.

eagles_150.png
    Philadelphia Eagles

last week: 5
    RB LeSean McCoy wondered aloud back in July if he could reach the 2,000-yard mark this season. To get there he'll need to average a touch more than 140 yards per game after a really sluggish start (175 yards, one touchdown). The overwhelming issue right now is that Philadelphia's O-line continues to grow more depleted by the week. The Eagles are still 3-0 and second in points scored, but will those issues up front spark a slide beyond McCoy soon?

chargers_150.png
    San Diego Chargers

last week: 7
    How's this for bum luck? (Or, alternatively, do you believe in jinxes?) According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Danny Woodhead delivered a speech to the Chargers before their win in Buffalo, telling his teammates: "You never know when it could be your last game, your last play, so play like it."

Woodhead then suffered a season-ending injury on his first carry Sunday. With Ryan Mathews already sidelined, the offseason pickup of Donald Brown suddenly looks genius.

bears_150.png
    Chicago Bears

last week: 10
    One can only assume that when the Bears bring in cornerbacks for pre-draft workouts they eschew the typical drills in favor of an hour-long game of "Hey, try to knock this football out of my hands." Rookie CB Kyle Fuller went all Charles Tillman on the Jets Monday night, forcing two fumbles using Tillman's patented punch. Chicago is now plus-six in turnover margin over the past two weeks, both road wins.

patriots_150.png
    New England Patriots

last week: 8
    "We did enough this game," Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski said, via WEEI.com, after his team's 16-9 win over Oakland, "but that’s not always going to get the job done."

No kidding. It barely got the job done this week. There is not a whole lot of time to get better, either -- starting Monday, the Patriots play four games in 18 days, capped by a Thursday nighter vs. the Jets.

ravens_150.png
    Baltimore Ravens

last week: 13
    Steve Smith to the rescue again. The veteran receiver nearly pulled a win out of the fire for Baltimore in Week 1 on a long touchdown catch, and he hauled in the critical 32-yard reception to set up Justin Tucker's game-winner Sunday. All things considered, the Ravens should be thrilled with a 2-1 start.

lions_150.png
    Detroit Lions

last week: 15
    If the offense and defense ever click at the same time, look out. Of course, that's been the same refrain in Detroit since about the Bobby Layne era. It'd be nice to build snowmen in the summer, too, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Maybe this is the year ...

steelers_150.png
    Pittsburgh Stealers

last week: 22
    Chuck Noll was head coach the last time the Stealers produced two 100-yard rushers in the same game: Walter Abercrombie and Earnest Jackson, on Oct. 26, 1986. That is, the last time until Sunday night, when Le'Veon Bell (147 yards) and LeGarrette Blount (118 yards) pulled off the feat -- against a Carolina defense that finished No. 2 vs. the run last season, no less.

colts_150.png
    Indianapolis Colts

last week: 16
    record: 1-2
    The Colts lost Andrew Luck's first-ever meeting with Jacksonville, 22-17. They've won the four meetings since by a combined score of 138-40. You know what they say: Never get on the bad side of a quarterback who can grow a full beard in less than an hour.

panthers_150.png
    Carolina Panthers

last week: 3
    "Burn the tape" A popular phrase for when a team gets humiliated -- in essence, there is so little to be gained from reviewing the performance that it's better to just move on.

I'd suggest the Panthers do this with their film from Week 3 vs. Pittsburgh. They were bad enough that tossing the jerseys they wore that night onto the fire might not be a terrible idea.

falcons_150.png
    Atlanta Falcons

last week: 17
    You know how, when William Wallace is being tortured to death at the end of Braveheart, the Englishmen and women watching eventually start to cry for mercy? Pretty much how we all felt last Thursday night when the Falcons kicked the living daylights out of what was supposed to be an improved Tampa Bay team.

49ers_150.png
    San Francisco 49ers

last week: 11
    Trouble ahead. Trouble behind. Jim Harbaugh, you better watch your team.

Man, if Weird Al ever wants to write a Grateful Dead parody song about the 2014 49ers, I just did him a huuuuuge favor.

Anyway ... Harbaugh's bunch entered the season amid some turmoil, including questions about their questions future in San Francisco. After a disappointing 1-2 start, the 49ers might be at a crossroads between galvanizing around their issues or imploding entirely.

saints_150.png
    New Orleans Saints

last week: 21
    Ever been to New Orleans? The second you set foot outside, a 50-ounce hurricane drink magically appears in your hand, a brass band starts following you around and the nearest 100 people start screaming "WHO DAT!" from all directions.

There is no easing into anything. It's full throttle all the time. So it is confusing to see the Saints coast through three weeks of the season. Even Sunday's win over Minnesota was unfulfilling -- the outcome was in doubt until late in the fourth quarter.

cowboys_150.png
    Dallas Cowboys

last week: 24
    Whether you're a fan of Tony Romo miscues, high-scoring games or exciting finishes, the Cowboys are must-see TV this season. This is a flawed team showing the capability to win behind a loaded offense. Five of their next six games are at home -- a very early make-or-break stretch.

bills_150.png
    Buffalo Bills

last week: 12
    Perhaps no stat illustrates the limitations of EJ Manuel-led offense as well as this one: In 13 career starts Manuel has just 14 touchdown passes. The Bills want to minimize any risk for Manuel, so they continue to play it rather conservatively with him. But as Sunday's 22-10 loss showed, at some point they'll have to turn Manuel loose a bit. Is he capable of raising his game?

packers_150.png
    Green Bay Packers

last week: 9
    "Five letters here just for everybody out there in Packer-land: R-E-L-A-X," Aaron Rodgers said this week. "Relax. We're going to be OK."

The natural lean is to believe him -- the Packers have made the playoffs each of the past five seasons, with a Super Bowl win mixed in there. On the other hand, the offense managed all of seven points in Detroit on Sunday and the O-line right now is ... what's the worst thing in the world for Wisconsin natives? Light beer? Vegeterianism? Whatever the answer is, the offensive line is playing like that right now.

browns_150.png
    Cleveland Browns

last week: 20
    All three of Cleveland's games have been decided by three points or less. When the margin of error is that small, a team cannot afford to, oh, miss a field goal and have another attempt blocked in the fourth quarter. Cleveland probably should be 3-0 right now; it's 1-2 instead.

texans_150.png
    Houston Texans

last week: 18
    We are now three Ryan Fitzpatrick interceptions closer to the Ryan Mallett era beginning in Houston. Fitzpatrick was solid over Weeks 1 and 2, but he's still a turnover-prone veteran with limited upside. Probably sooner rather than later, this quarterback switch is going to happen.

jets_150.png
    New York Jets

last week: 19
    The Jets were inside the Chicago 25 four different times in the second half Monday and came away with all of six points. There is plenty of blame to go around here: Geno Smith, for a boneheaded interception plus a few more errant passes; the Jets' depth chart for not boasting enough weapons with Eric Decker banged up; and, of course, Marty Mornhinweg for some play calls that I assume he picked randomly using a Ouija board.

chiefs_150.png
    Kansas City Chiefs

last week: 27
    Not even Joe McKnight would have predicted that Joe McKnight would be one of the players tasked with trying to save the Chiefs' season. He came through with a pair of touchdowns Sunday -- the first non-return touchdowns of his NFL career.

"I didn’t really think I was even going to be back (after) how things went in New York," McKnight, a former Jet, told the Kansas City Star. "I’m happy to be back. I’m happy to have coaches that believe in me. I’m happy to have a team that’s going to back me up, no matter what."

redskins_150.png
    Washington Redskins

last week: 26
    DeAngelo Hall's Achilles' injury is about one-hundred-and-RGIII times worse for Washington's 2014 chances than the Robert Griffin ankle injury. Kirk Cousins has shown quickly that he fits well in Jay Gruden's offense. There is not anyone near as competent a replacement for Hall in the secondary.

giants_150.png
    New York Giants

last week: 29
    Interceptions for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Antrel Rolle and Prince Amukamara, a 176-yard day for Rashad Jennings and Eli Manning at a 75-percent completion rate. When Tom Coughlin had dreams about how the 2014 season would go, they probably looked a lot like Sunday.

dolphins_150.png
    Miami Dolphins

last week: 14
    This is ... bad. Like end-of-the-line Dave Wannstedt/Tony Sparano bad. After a second consecutive blowout loss, this one at home to the Chiefs, the Dolphins are coming apart at the seams on defense and QB Ryan Tannehill reportedly might be benched before long.

If head coach Joe Philbin plans to survive this season, winning at Oakland on Sunday is probably essential.

vikings_150.png
    Minnesota Vikings

last week: 23
    It's Teddy Time, you guys. As in Teddy Bridgewater, the Vikings' rookie quarterback, who will take over starting duties now that Matt Cassel has landed on injured reserve.

One thing that might help Bridgewater: If the Vikings also committed to making it Cordarrelle O'Clock. Even with Adrian Peterson deacivated and Kyle Rudolph hobbling, the Vikings have not increased Cordarrelle Patterson's usage at all. They need to rethink that approach.

rams_150.png
    St. Louis Rams

last week: 28
    Awaiting St. Louis after its Week 4 bye is this: at Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, at Kansas City, at San Francisco, at Arizona, Denver, San Diego. The Rams might feel like a kid dreading the end of summer vacation when it's time to get back to work.

titans_150.png
    Tennessee Titans

last week: 25
    After Kurt Warner hung up his cleats, then-Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt proceeded to cycle through John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Brian Hoyer, Max Hall, Derek Anderson, Richard Bartel and Ryan Lindley at quarterback over the next three seasons. He cited that disastrous merry go-round as why he wants to stick by Jake Locker --- "One of the things that you asked me when I first got here was what would I do differently. One of the things was patience with the quarterback," Whisenhunt said after Sunday's loss.

He may be the last person with any patience left when it comes to Locker.

raiders_150.png
    Oakland Raiders

last week: 32
    record: 0-3
    Just once in their franchise history have the Raiders finished with the league's lowest-scoring offense: 2006, on a team featuring a disgruntled Randy Moss and quarterbacked by a combo of Andrew Walter and Aaron Brooks. Through three weeks, this Raiders team is on track to match the '06 squad's dubious achievement. This season's Raiders (12.3 points per game) at least have a little hope, thanks to Derek Carr's presence.

buccaneers_150.png
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

last week: 30
    Interesting choice by the Buccaneers to have a "Play like the 1976 expansion team" promotion in Atlanta last Thursday. Heck, the quarterback of that first Tampa Bay team, one Steve Spurrier, might have fared as well against the Falcons as either Josh McCown or Mike Glennon did. And I mean present-day, 69-year-old Steve Spurrier.

jaguars_150.png
Jacksonville Jaguars

last week: 31
Let's check in on the Jaguars' rebuilding project ... oh no.

This is the point on one of those HGTV or DIY network shows where the contractor comes back and tells the home owner he needs to gut the whole property. The silver lining here (/ends renovation metaphor): Blake Bortles has supplanted Chad Henne in the starting lineup, a move that was an obvious one from almost the get-go.

Archived