Who Will You Be Watching / Rooting For?

Weeks 1-3 have become horrible/bad football for the majority of the league because they simply don't practice in training camp anymore.

As if on cue Patrick was arguing about this topic with Andrew Perloff this morning.

Nutshelled, Patrick thinks the NFL product has become an embarrassment due to rule changes that prevent defenders from having an equal chance. (I don't disagree.)

Perloff countered by pointing to the rise of fantasy football, saying the biggest reason people watch the NFL now is to see teams throwing the ball. He further claimed nobody wants to go back to the days when running the ball was a priority and it wasn't uncommon for starting QB's to attempt a dozen passes.  

I didn't watch the whole game.  Stealer fans were bitching about ticky-tack calls but on go-bengals people were talking about phantom penalties (against the Bucs).  The announcer towards the end of the game mentioned 6 15-yard penalties against the stealers in that game.  what is your unbiased opinion of the officiating for that game (assuming you watched it).  "you" being HairOnFire or anyone else who watched the whole thing.

If I'm a Steeler fan this morning I'm pissed at the way the team played, but I'm also furious the refs didn't call holding on Anthony Collins that would have negated a scoring play that got the Bucs back in the game.

Get that call right and there probably aren't any late game heroics.

As if on cue Patrick was arguing about this topic with Andrew Perloff this morning.

Nutshelled, Patrick thinks the NFL product has become an embarrassment due to rule changes that prevent defenders from having an equal chance. (I don't disagree.)

Perloff countered by pointing to the rise of fantasy football, saying the biggest reason people watch the NFL now is to see teams throwing the ball. He further claimed nobody wants to go back to the days when running the ball was a priority and it wasn't uncommon for starting QB's to attempt a dozen passes.  

Unrestricted Free Agency, Salary Cap, and unchecked Performance Enhancers  are the reason the defenders are at a disadvantage under the rules.

At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Unrestricted FA, Salary Cap increased compensation and Gauranteed Money and effected roster space.   Teams simply cut back on tacking drills and actual drills to avoid losing players to injury from practice.  Watching Hard Knocks, you hear alot of coaches yelling not to take a player to the ground etc.   Another side effect was the investment in performance enhancement both legally and illegally resulting in huge overspending in that science when compared to safety and equipment.

So you got bigger, stronger, faster players.   Running around in the same equipment.   That lost all proper tackling techinque and started launching or horse collaring to make up the difference.

The NFL just got a deal to start HGH, I applaud that even if it meant Josh Gordon reduced suspension.   Now they simply got to allow coaches to coach actual football practice more than they do and keep revamping injury rules to give teams for flexibility. 

If I'm a Steeler fan this morning I'm pissed at the way the team played, but I'm also furious the refs didn't call holding on Anthony Collins that would have negated a scoring play that got the Bucs back in the game.

Get that call right and there probably aren't any late game heroics.

I didn't see all the Steelers game but Pitt got 7 points on a clear offensive PI by Brown

I didn't watch the whole game.  Stealer fans were bitching about ticky-tack calls but on go-bengals people were talking about phantom penalties (against the Bucs).  The announcer towards the end of the game mentioned 6 15-yard penalties against the stealers in that game.  what is your unbiased opinion of the officiating for that game (assuming you watched it).  "you" being HairOnFire or anyone else who watched the whole thing.

I did happen to see the entire game (didn't mean to, but it just happened). There were "phantom calls" earlier in the game against the Bucs--the nefarious illegal use of hands du jour penalty. The Stealers did get a good dose of penalties in the second half, but they were more of the judgement call holding and face mask variety (way too closely non-called in modern times, and also fortuitously called).

Found this site, which gives a weekly penalty break down for each team:

http://www.nflpenalties.com/game/tampa-bay-buccaneers-at-pittsburgh-steelers-09-28-2014

Yes, there were a lot of bad calls/no-calls in the Pit-TB game...some in the favor of each team. But it was refreshing to see an officiating crew that wasn't afraid to flag the stealers for some of the bullshit stuff they are usually allowed to get away with.

Yes, there were a lot of bad calls/no-calls in the Pit-TB game...some in the favor of each team. But it was refreshing to see an officiating crew that wasn't afraid to flag the stealers for some of the bullshit stuff they are usually allowed to get away with.

X 1,000,000,000,000,000

Happily, Pittburgh hasn't been getting away with anything all year.

Bengals have committed 14 penalties in three games. Pittsburgh has been flagged 42 times in four games.

Bengals have been flagged for just two pre-snap penalties. Pittsburgh has 13.

As for the bullshit stuff? (Personal foul, Unsportsmanlike conduct, Unneccessary roughness, Face mask, Roughing the QB, Taunting, etc.)

Bengals 5. Pittsburgh 15.

Smart bullies.

Tomlin blamed the loss on penalties, but that was a cop out. His defense doesn't scare people any more and badly needs on overhaul in the secondary. Todd Haley gets more of the criticism, but his unit isn't the problem. His QB, RB, and #1WR are having Pro Bowl quality seasons under his offense.

Perfect analysis of Pissburgh's woes imo.

Archived