The Rebuild starts with the O-line...

In the 2nd half I believe Burrow only had 21 snaps, that's it! Of those 21, Burrow was sacked 6 times and had numerous pressures. If you take away the missed face mask call (75 yards/TD), Burrow had roughly 76 total yards and no TD's in the 2nd half. They're O-line dominated ours. Burrow leading the league in being sacked is unsustainable moving forward if Burrow is to remain a long term elite QB. The Bengals need to put all of their resources into protecting Burrow or he will not be around for long.

14 minutes ago, StripesNall said:

In the 2nd half I believe Burrow only had 21 snaps, that's it! Of those 21, Burrow was sacked 6 times and had numerous pressures. If you take away the missed face mask call (75 yards/TD), Burrow had roughly 76 total yards and no TD's in the 2nd half. They're O-line dominated ours. Burrow leading the league in being sacked is unsustainable moving forward if Burrow is to remain a long term elite QB. The Bengals need to put all of their resources into protecting Burrow or he will not be around for long.

You’re preachin’ to the choir.

Maybe Elizabeth will see this and the word will get back to MB.

* At the very least, they need to add 2 OL starters (OT & C?) - - on from FA and another at the top of the draft.  Wouldn't shock me if Spain is the only SB OL starters that is still in his same spot come opening game (I'd strongly consider moving Williams inside if I could land a LT).  Would also look at re-upping Reiff for a friendly deal.  Hill, Carman, Smith and possibly Adeniji would all be reserves to start the season (with no injuries to starters).  I'd heavily enlist Burrow in recruiting OL FA's.

* With Waynes unlikely to return, a frontline CB would be my next priority target.

* If Bates doesn't return, a starting safety will be needed (but it would surprise me if Jesse isn't tagged, if not signed).

* As with Bates, a starting TE will be needed if Uzomah can't be re-signed.  Even if he his, I'd still consider drafting a mid-round TE or signing a 2nd tier FA

* I would really like to bring back Ogunjobi AND BJ Hil @ DT, but if not, at least one will be needed

* Ossai's return should be like a bonus high-round pick at DE, so it wouldn't be a priority, but if there's a target of opportunity...

* Same at LB.  I think they really like their corp, but if they happen across a playmaker I could see it

* With the club's ascendency, I'd also look at upgrading from Allen as the backup QB

*  I expect Chrisman is the heir apparent if Huber hangs it up, but there should be a FA/UDFA or two for competition

*  I guess they could grab a 4th WR candidate or look to upgrade from Perine as the #2 RB, but don't see those two spots (along with PK) as major priorities in FA or the draft.

Only 1 of the current 5 arguably can be a certain part of the next line. If they upgraded everyone but Williams that would be swell. Maybe Spain could come back, but they definitely need a new C, RG and RT. At least 2 of those 3 should be really good borderline premium free agents. All three in a perfect world. I hate having to rely on a rookie at RG or C or one of the current crew to "take the next step". If Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Prince are all backing up for us next September, that would be a good off-season in my book. 

47 minutes ago, membengal said:

Only 1 of the current 5 arguably can be a certain part of the next line. If they upgraded everyone but Williams that would be swell. Maybe Spain could come back, but they definitely need a new C, RG and RT. At least 2 of those 3 should be really good borderline premium free agents. All three in a perfect world. I hate having to rely on a rookie at RG or C or one of the current crew to "take the next step". If Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Prince are all backing up for us next September, that would be a good off-season in my book. 

I've seen enough of Adeniji to say that project has failed. 

9 minutes ago, membengal said:

He’s a fine backup. I don’t want him starting anywhere tho.

Yeah, if better not available.

I'm thinking damaged goods Carman is a project that failed.

And hope I'm wrong.  But a long time bad back for an O lineman

isn't something that goes away.  Like short arms.

3 hours ago, StripesNall said:

you mean things go poorly when 40% of your offensive line is out for the entire playoff run? thats suspicious. 

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

You’re preachin’ to the choir.

Maybe Elizabeth will see this and the word will get back to MB.

mike brown hasnt made football decisions in years, he has said it many times. this is getting weird tbh.

2 hours ago, snarkster said:

* At the very least, they need to add 2 OL starters (OT & C?) - - on from FA and another at the top of the draft.  Wouldn't shock me if Spain is the only SB OL starters that is still in his same spot come opening game (I'd strongly consider moving Williams inside if I could land a LT).  Would also look at re-upping Reiff for a friendly deal.  Hill, Carman, Smith and possibly Adeniji would all be reserves to start the season (with no injuries to starters).  I'd heavily enlist Burrow in recruiting OL FA's.

* With Waynes unlikely to return, a frontline CB would be my next priority target.

* If Bates doesn't return, a starting safety will be needed (but it would surprise me if Jesse isn't tagged, if not signed).

* As with Bates, a starting TE will be needed if Uzomah can't be re-signed.  Even if he his, I'd still consider drafting a mid-round TE or signing a 2nd tier FA

* I would really like to bring back Ogunjobi AND BJ Hil @ DT, but if not, at least one will be needed

* Ossai's return should be like a bonus high-round pick at DE, so it wouldn't be a priority, but if there's a target of opportunity...

* Same at LB.  I think they really like their corp, but if they happen across a playmaker I could see it

* With the club's ascendency, I'd also look at upgrading from Allen as the backup QB

*  I expect Chrisman is the heir apparent if Huber hangs it up, but there should be a FA/UDFA or two for competition

*  I guess they could grab a 4th WR candidate or look to upgrade from Perine as the #2 RB, but don't see those two spots (along with PK) as major priorities in FA or the draft.

i honestly think 4-6 guys new in the o-line room should be added for camp, but you cant count on draft picks to pan out, so online bringing in 2 guys total seems risky, after all, thats how many were injured just at RG for us this year.

I am curious now that we are losing our LB coach, how much of a factor was he in the LB's group being so solid, hopfully he wasnt a miracle worker.  whats Gio doing these days? he would have been great to have down the stretch.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

IMO this is a wild take, each linemen is made better or worse by the guy next to him, trey has been a very good pass blocker for many years in a row until this season, with the abortion going on to his right, im not sure we walk away from him, unless the iowa kid falls to us, then frankly, see which one of them can play guard better and keep both.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I've seen enough of Adeniji to say that project has failed. 

lol.

so...  

1. draft a project from a small football school to develop

2. coming into OTA's his second year he rips his peck muscle, out for year

3. comes back early, and is thrown into a terrible line situation after being out of playing football for months.

4. has played a total of 9 games, all returning early from that thought to be season ending injury.

and in your mind, if he isnt awesome by now... youve seen enough?

this is amazing.

cmon man.

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

1. draft a project from a small football school to develop

2. coming into OTA's his second year he rips his peck muscle, out for year

3. comes back early, and is thrown into a terrible line situation after being out of playing football for months.

4. has played a total of 9 games, all returning early from that thought to be season ending injury.

and in your mind, if he isnt awesome by now... youve seen enough?

this is amazing.

cmon man.

Yeah.  They’re all great.  Please.  

I don’t care about the guy’s circumstances.  They make a nice story, but can he play?   The resounding answer for Adeniji is no.  At no time has he shown the ability to play at an acceptable level.  It’s not like the guy is some can’t miss prospect.   I’m plenty comfortable taking the chance he’ll be a stud somewhere else. Rather see a new project get a chance. 

Archived