Republicans

MichaelWeston

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Seems somewhat legit but the comment about its ediiting was concerning 

Stones remarks about AI should be a consideration as well.

Light editing to protect their source. 

Stone has made these kinds of threats before, that he would suggest it was AI is typical of him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 10:11 AM, Shebengal said:

Not just “poor” whites. In the State of Ohio, a family of four that makes up to $135,000.00/year can get vouchers to send their kids to private schools. Over 13 years (K-12), this can add up to $88,000.00 per child if the maximum benefit is used. The expansion was just rolled out this year, and the number of families receiving vouchers nearly doubled. Out of the 32,000 new voucher requests, 28,000 were from white families. So basically, some families that were paying their own way are now letting the state pay for their kids’ education. And I’m willing to bet that the majority of it is going to Catholic or Christian schools. And there is still an issue because in the rural areas of Ohio, especially Appalachia, there aren’t a lot of private schools that kids in those areas can access, and a lot of those areas are the ones that need the help the most because they are the most underfunded because they collect the least in property taxes. School funding in Ohio was declared unconstitutional in 1997, and nothing has been done to fix it in 27 years. The lottery was supposed to go towards education. All that did was divert funds to other parts of the budget. Now the state legislature wants to reduce or eliminate the income tax because Ohio has a robust rainy day fund while some kids in our public schools are going to school in buildings with ceilings tiles falling down, no AC, and other issues. 

I remember when I was in grade school (I went to Catholic school), it was a big deal when our school got money from the state. It wasn’t a lot, but it was enough to buy some office equipment. I remember how our teachers had to be really careful about not using that equipment to print anything religious or anything for religion class. How did we get from there to the state paying for religious education?

2 friends kids both went to catholic schools, both took advantage of this, both were definitely fine paying it

1-Friend 1's school basically sent a memo home that said don't worry about this we still have ways to keep people out we don't want to go here. 

2-Friend 2's school increased tuition by 2/3rds this year 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

2 friends kids both went to catholic schools, both took advantage of this, both were definitely fine paying it

1-Friend 1's school basically sent a memo home that said don't worry about this we still have ways to keep people out we don't want to go here. 

2-Friend 2's school increased tuition by 2/3rds this year 

As a proud graduate of a Catholic high school, I hate when I hear stuff like this. The first example is hardly a Christian message, but at the same time, I’ve heard time and time again about how private schools don’t handle kids who need IEPs or special services very well so those kids wind up at public schools and do better there. 

The second example is greed, plain and simple, and hardly in line with the tax free status that churches enjoy. 

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not anti private/religious/Catholic schools, not at all. But hearing stuff like this troubles me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 6:17 PM, Shebengal said:

As a proud graduate of a Catholic high school, I hate when I hear stuff like this. The first example is hardly a Christian message, but at the same time, I’ve heard time and time again about how private schools don’t handle kids who need IEPs or special services very well so those kids wind up at public schools and do better there. 

The second example is greed, plain and simple, and hardly in line with the tax free status that churches enjoy. 

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not anti private/religious/Catholic schools, not at all. But hearing stuff like this troubles me. 

Agree .

Why do they get tax free status?

I don't know what they taught you there but did u feel it was a better education/social values institution?

13 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Agree .

Why do they get tax free status?

I don't know what they taught you there but did u feel it was a better education/social values institution?

As an education/societal values institution, absolutely. Even when I was in junior high and I knew I was going there, I knew it was better than the local public high school. I took Driver’s Ed at my local high school with some of my friends and the building was in not as well maintained and the students were not nearly as respectful.  I will say that at the high school I attended (and it was an all girl school) the level of cattiness was comparable. That comes with any large group of teenage girls. I also know that not everyone’s experience there was positive. I have friends who were on scholarship and their memories are not as good. That still goes on today. Private schools are great if your child can handle a lot of structure and discipline, but if not, they’re going to have issues. We debated sending our son to the Catholic high school in our neighborhood after he spent elementary and middle school in the public schools and I vetoed it. He wound up at the local high school and did just fine and even had opportunities to do some dual credit (high school and college credit) courses online that he would not have been able to do at the Catholic school. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

She was never a factor .

I know she was never going to be a factor, but I still hate to see it.

And of course, Trump can't be gracious in his acknowledgement of her dropping out. He has to be his usual, bombastic, narcissistic, asinine self. 

I hate that our choices are two decrepit, old crooks. 334 million plus people in this country and this is the best we can do to choose the leader of the free world?

UGH!!

11 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

We know he's old. He's still not evil. 

I, and probably Hannah Arendt would disagree with you, but that wasn't the point of my posting. Anyone can look at this bit o' video and see two important things: One, Biden really is not capable of being President. He has always been a mediocre thinker and now he is way beyond competence. Two, notice how quickly his handler shuts everything down. Begs some questions, does it not?

Anyhow, in the interest of balance, here's another one:

Dr. John Gartner: The world is watching "a fundamental breakdown in Trump’s ability to use language." 

For those who are more interested in partisan ideology than truth should find this more palatable.

9 minutes ago, Homer_Rice said:

I, and probably Hannah Arendt would disagree with you, but that wasn't the point of my posting. Anyone can look at this bit o' video and see two important things: One, Biden really is not capable of being President. He has always been a mediocre thinker and now he is way beyond competence. Two, notice how quickly his handler shuts everything down. Begs some questions, does it not?

Anyhow, in the interest of balance, here's another one:

Dr. John Gartner: The world is watching "a fundamental breakdown in Trump’s ability to use language." 

For those who are more interested in partisan ideology than truth should find this more palatable.

Whats the point of your truth? The reality is that president will be one of these people. One is a completely flawed and vile human being. One is just old. Even old he still did great things with infrastructure, the border bill, gun control....

• Like 1

Let's try this another way. Watch the video again. In fact, watch it a couple of times. Listen to what he says. Also look into his eyes. Now tell me that this person isn't in some kind of cognitive distress. Ever take care of an old relative or spend any significant time around a person with empty eyes like that? I don't care what you think of my views, just be honest with yourself. Biden is not simply old, he's a goner--especially for the position of authority and leadership he currently has and wants for four more years. Which, again, begs some questions.

You don't have to tell me about Trump's character. I've known about him since the 80s, well before he was on the national scene in any serious political way. By product of a behind-the-scenes political squabble with one of his mentors.

And, inadvertently, you hit on one key point: one of these oafs is going to be the next president. It's time people got seriously interested in just how our polity has declined so, such that we even allow this kind of contest to happen. How do you fix it? Engaging in lawfare against one person and whitewashing the other doesn't cut it.

And that's my truth. Hold all these fuckers to standards that are derived from the best of what it means to be a citizen. As I said in another comment, I will not be voting for either one of these murderous dipshits, but that doesn't mean I will quit being a gadfly..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Homer_Rice said:

Let's try this another way. Watch the video again. In fact, watch it a couple of times. Listen to what he says. Also look into his eyes. Now tell me that this person isn't in some kind of cognitive distress. Ever take care of an old relative or spend any significant time around a person with empty eyes like that? I don't care what you think of my views, just be honest with yourself. Biden is not simply old, he's a goner--especially for the position of authority and leadership he currently has and wants for four more years. Which, again, begs some questions.

You don't have to tell me about Trump's character. I've known about him since the 80s, well before he was on the national scene in any serious political way. By product of a behind-the-scenes political squabble with one of his mentors.

And, inadvertently, you hit on one key point: one of these oafs is going to be the next president. It's time people got seriously interested in just how our polity has declined so, such that we even allow this kind of contest to happen. How do you fix it? Engaging in lawfare against one person and whitewashing the other doesn't cut it.

And that's my truth. Hold all these fuckers to standards that are derived from the best of what it means to be a citizen. As I said in another comment, I will not be voting for either one of these murderous dipshits, but that doesn't mean I will quit being a gadfly..

This post is hilarious after tonight. 

6 hours ago, Homer_Rice said:

One of the biggest problems in Washington that I have seen from one of the guys in my Men's Bible Study who used to work for Congresswoman Miller Meeks as her legislative director, is that the politicians are too concerned about getting political wins.

Ironically my buddy has left and is now a registered democrat, he got tired of working on stuff he didnt believe in, so he quit and is now a stay at home dad with his new baby girl.

• Upvote 1

As far as Biden being in cognitive decline, frankly they both are.  I would say we deserve better but "the price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." and we have far too many who have checked out of the process. 

I don't like his stance on Israel any more than I like the President's before him. And I think the issues with Russia are incredibly complex as well. 

What I will say as someone who expected nothing of Biden and thought we would get another Neo-Libera (and he is a neoliberal) l who would not address any of the root causes that led to Trump in the first place is that there are some things I am surprised by. Especially as it relates to investments we are making, but even more so some of the anti-trust stuff they have been doing. 

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

As far as Biden being in cognitive decline, frankly they both are.  I would say we deserve better but "the price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." and we have far too many who have checked out of the process. 

I don't like his stance on Israel any more than I like the President's before him. And I think the issues with Russia are incredibly complex as well. 

What I will say as someone who expected nothing of Biden and thought we would get another Neo-Libera (and he is a neoliberal) l who would not address any of the root causes that led to Trump in the first place is that there are some things I am surprised by. Especially as it relates to investments we are making, but even more so some of the anti-trust stuff they have been doing. 

Of course they are.

Biden held it together for the most part. Bet he had to practice a lot to get the low-key Max Headroom without sunglasses effect.. And GOP Stepford Wife couldn't make up her mind whether she was channeling Margaret Thatcher or Barbie. I found both of the to be insincere. As instances of statecraft, neither met the bar.

I like that Biden gave a shout out to the UAW. That's about it. Maybe a few of the other palliative economic measures. But this was a campaign speech, not a State of the Union, so IO take most of the rhetoric with a grain of salt. Make it happen and stop making these endless promises that are recirculated every 4 years.

The sad thing tonight was what both of them agreed upon: crazy endorsement's of the Blob's foreign policy. Gotta be fair, both parties are killing machines, about 500,000 casualties in Ukraine and a hell of a lot more than the 30,000 cited tonight in Gaza. Probably multiples of that number.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Homer_Rice said:

I won’t be voting for either of these decrepit old crooks, either. Unfortunately, I am married to a political science major so I constantly am subjected to political discourse (mostly on Faux News) so I am a gadfly by proxy. 

Also, I do find it amusing that Senator Katie Britt, who delivered the Republican rebuttal, did it from her kitchen table, cross around her neck, while praising Trump, who is easily one of the least Christian men you will ever encounter. I will never comprehend the evangelical Christians’ love for this man. (Except that he was fortunate enough to be able to appoint 3 judges to the Supreme Court, with help from Mitch McConnell, who then overturned Roe vs. Wade). I guess to evangelical Christians, it’s OK to sexually assault women, discriminate against people in housing, cheat on your wife, commit fraud in business, and call people “vermin”, as long as you get Roe vs. Wade overturned. 

🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

One of the biggest problems in Washington that I have seen from one of the guys in my Men's Bible Study who used to work for Congresswoman Miller Meeks as her legislative director, is that the politicians are too concerned about getting political wins.

Ding ding ding 🛎️!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Ironically my buddy has left and is now a registered democrat, he got tired of working on stuff he didnt believe in, so he quit and is now a stay at home dad with his new baby girl.

I hope your friend is cherishing this time with his daughter. Parenthood goes way too fast. I’m also guessing his blood pressure is a lot lower.