Bengals 2023 OTA portion of off-season stuff

11 hours ago, membengal said:

The fact that Walters is now convinced that Iosvias will need less development than expected is exciting as hell. Since that seems to be the case, I think Iosivas will make the 53 man roster along with Chase/Higgins/Boyd/Jones. Simmons already taking an early look at Iosivas as a gunner is another indicator that they will not try to sneak him onto the Practice Squad. Iosivas has said that the coaches are having him concentrate on studying Higgins closely since they are similar height/weight. 

On 6/17/2023 at 1:29 PM, dex said:

The fact that Walters is now convinced that Iosvias will need less development than expected is exciting as hell. Since that seems to be the case, I think Iosivas will make the 53 man roster along with Chase/Higgins/Boyd/Jones. Simmons already taking an early look at Iosivas as a gunner is another indicator that they will not try to sneak him onto the Practice Squad. Iosivas has said that the coaches are having him concentrate on studying Higgins closely since they are similar height/weight. 

Well, makes sense since he’s going to be replacing Higgins in 2 years IMO.

You can’t have 2 WRs making top end money along with one of the highest paid QBs in the league and still expect to field a whole team capable of reaching the SB every year.  As much as I love Higgins, simply doesn’t make fiscal sense. 

3 hours ago, IKOTA said:

You can’t have 2 WRs making top end money along with one of the highest paid QBs in the league and still expect to field a whole team capable of reaching the SB every year. 

I disagree 1000%!

You make SB's with a team of like 3 All Pros at any position (as long as QB is one) ... and 5-6 top 200 players (at any position). Then you just need a average roster for the rest, and can't have more than 1-2 gaping holes with trash players. 

This is the Bengals essentially. And its doable with JB, Chase, and Higgins all counting for over 100 million of the cap - as long as the team drafts right with cheap rookie talent and gets bang for their buck on the mid tier 2nd contract guys like they have been. 

This is a SB team with JB, Chase, and Tee EVERY SINGLE YEAR they play together. Which is why you would never want to break them up. 

54 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I disagree 1000%!

You make SB's with a team of like 3 All Pros at any position (as long as QB is one) ... and 5-6 top 200 players (at any position). Then you just need a average roster for the rest, and can't have more than 1-2 gaping holes with trash players. 

This is the Bengals essentially. And its doable with JB, Chase, and Higgins all counting for over 100 million of the cap - as long as the team drafts right with cheap rookie talent and gets bang for their buck on the mid tier 2nd contract guys like they have been. 

This is a SB team with JB, Chase, and Tee EVERY SINGLE YEAR they play together. Which is why you would never want to break them up. 

What he said. The team should pay for production and reward younger players who turn out to be excellent. Those are basic management principles and they shouldn't be abandoned in Tee's case. He may be our 2nd best receiver but he's also the 2nd best receiver in the AFCN and would be the best receiver on more than half the league's teams. Pay the man. We have an elite QB and WR1 so some may be tempted to say Tee is a luxury. He's not, he's a competitive advantage since he keeps teams from doubleteaming Chase.

The Bengals are currently overinvested at RB and RT. We'll have Boyd's contract coming off the cap next season, along with Awuzie's. Maybe Reader's too (though I hope not). The Bengals should be able to extend Burrow, Higgins, and Wilson this offseason. Probably Reader too, though keeping Jonah around makes that harder. If the team has to make some hard cap choices, wait 2 years to extend Chase and let Hendrickson go with Murphy on hand. Maybe BJ Hill too. But not Higgins.

On 6/19/2023 at 2:07 PM, BlackJesus said:

I disagree 1000%!

They were together last year and it wasn’t a SB team. Close, but didn’t get there. 

I love Tee, one of my favorite Bengals but when it comes down to it, I don’t think the Bengals will give him a huge contract. And considering they “control” him for 2 more yrs, I don’t think the extension is likely anytime soon if ever. Again, to me, it just doesn’t make much sense. I don’t have any credentials to back up my claims, just my thoughts. 

Your 2nd to last paragraph is asking a lot, the percentages will eventually catch up and not all those guys will work out as they have the past 2 years. Then what happens? Some rookies they draft will be “misses”, then what happens? You’re set back a year, two years etc… I guess the point is that they can’t rely on making perfect moves 100% of the time and other strategies will need to be employed. It’s not something you can rely on. 

Time will tell, it’ll be fun regardless and I’m here for it. 

The reason to extend Higgins now is because it's cheaper now than in another year, when he's on the tag. They might get him for 20 mil per new year added if they do it before the 2023 season. That's because it shifts the injury risk to the team. If they wait until the last minute, after a tag, then he'll cost 24 mil per year or more. 

Just now, sparky151 said:

The reason to extend Higgins now is because it's cheaper now than in another year, when he's on the tag. They might get him for 20 mil per new year added if they do it before the 2023 season. That's because it shifts the injury risk to the team. If they wait until the last minute, after a tag, then he'll cost 24 mil per year or more. 

I agree. The Bengals have to have since before the start of free agency a general idea of what it would take to sign Higgins to a contract extension. Several months GM Tobin made it sound like they intend to keep Higgins around for "a long time." Certainly more than another year or two with a talented player still so young.

"Another vital part of our team," Tobin opined. "He's exactly what we're hoping for when we draft a guy. Tee is an exceptional football player and I envision him being a part of what we do for a long time."

10 hours ago, IKOTA said:

They were together last year and it wasn’t a SB team. Close, but didn’t get there. 

I love Tee, one of my favorite Bengals but when it comes down to it, I don’t think the Bengals will give him a huge contract. And considering they “control” him for 2 more yrs, I don’t think the extension is likely anytime soon if ever. Again, to me, it just doesn’t make much sense. I don’t have any credentials to back up my claims, just my thoughts. 

Your 2nd to last paragraph is asking a lot, the percentages will eventually catch up and not all those guys will work out as they have the past 2 years. Then what happens? Some rookies they draft will be “misses”, then what happens? You’re set back a year, two years etc… I guess the point is that they can’t rely on making perfect moves 100% of the time and other strategies will need to be employed. It’s not something you can rely on. 

Time will tell, it’ll be fun regardless and I’m here for it. 

Trust this present organization to make this team a contender for years to come.

You know it..

9 hours ago, dex said:

I agree. The Bengals have to have since before the start of free agency a general idea of what it would take to sign Higgins to a contract extension. Several months GM Tobin made it sound like they intend to keep Higgins around for "a long time." Certainly more than another year or two with a talented player still so young.

"Another vital part of our team," Tobin opined. "He's exactly what we're hoping for when we draft a guy. Tee is an exceptional football player and I envision him being a part of what we do for a long time."

Tee Higginns is basically AJ Green all over again in his prime..

You think the organization want to lose a playmaker of that stature?

You know not. 

And they wont..

Also a shoutout to one of the best slot receivers this coming  season in Tyler Boyd.

Allways an  asset as  clutch to find seams  and his blocking abilities  are elite .

That aspect alone rubs off on the rest of the receiveing unit

One of JBs top targets .

Big year ahead..

Archived