Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

Nick Scott on how well Browning did taking over for the 1s on Friday ... (which is promising)

Safety Nick Scott, in his first three practices since coming over from the Rams, noticed:

"You see Nine is a special talent for sure. He's a man in a league of his own," Scott said. "But just in practice today it didn't feel like there was a step down on the offensive side. (Browning) was making every throw, making his reads right. He had a good practice. He was good."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Good to hear our rookie CBs are showing up, I'd like to hear something about Murphy too.

Isn't it super super hard to take anything meaningful, good or bad, from line play in the first week of camp? Pads are not even on yet. I understand chatter on DBs and WRs given 7 on 7s and the like, but not sure what there is that can be gleaned for the trenches...

21 minutes ago, membengal said:

Isn't it super super hard to take anything meaningful, good or bad, from line play in the first week of camp? Pads are not even on yet. I understand chatter on DBs and WRs given 7 on 7s and the like, but not sure what there is that can be gleaned for the trenches...

Sure just want to hear something is all.

With the short first week of practice, here are a few thoughts on some positions and players:

TE - Irv Smith didn't participate in Friday's practice, but seems to have shown well so far. Feels like Tanner Hudson, who earned a Super Bowl ring with Tampa Bay and was on the practice squad last year, has a real chance to make the 53 man roster this season. My guess is they will only carry 3 TEs though, with one or two on the practice squad.

RB - These early practices are more about the passing game than rushing the ball. Mixon was used in the passing game early in the week, Williams was mentioned a couple of times, but I don't think I've heard Evans/Brown even mentioned once by beat writers. They carried 4 RBs on the roster last season with Evans usually a healthy inactive, but this season I think they will only carry 3 RBs. There's just no need since a decent RB is easy to pick up anywhere and and there are premium positions with more promising depth.

WR - The Big Three have all been close to unstoppable no matter which QB in throwing them the ball. They are just so strong physically. Irwin seems determined to keep a spot on the roster. Iosivas has had some very good days and other days where his rawness shows up. Charlie Jones has quietly shown plenty of promise. I don't think I've heard Trent Taylor's number mentioned even once. Lassiter had a tremendous one-handed catch on Saturday.

Safety - Been a very quiet group thus far. Still a long way to go though.

CB - If the team decides to go light at RB/TE, CB is definitely a premium position where they might want to stock up heavily. Awuzie/Taylor-Britt/Hilton/Turner are all locks. But then you still have Sidney Jones/DJ Ivey/Jalen Davis/Allen George/etc. Probably the deepest position on the team.

• Upvote 3