Don't look now, but Chris Evans seems to be coming fast despite having to endure "coaching bias." This is his third year in the league, maybe he's ready to turn the corner. Because he can be such a dynamic threat coming out of the backfield, I would love for him to take that 3rd down back role. Despite dropping a pass, Evans apparently had a great overall practice. Especially in pass pro. From Charles Goldsmith:

• Running back Chris Evans rode drop towers and let a police canine chase him during a team visit to Fort Knox during the offseason to help him develop as a pass protector. He had his best practice of the year on Monday and the best practice of his career as a pass blocker. On a day where Anarumo consistently dialed up blitzes, Evans was often in the perfect position.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 5:17 PM, GoBengals said:

man my brain was a big wonky as turns out i had some health issues i didnt know about last season, and i cant remember random stuff, but i recall someone broke down some tendencies of inconsistency with Evans, i think it was his pass protection and then his routes or running paths were all over the place, like he freestyles shit too much like its still high school. 

but i dont want to say thats it if im wrong. 

anyone remember anything like that?

i think i remember some big paly he made catching a ball across the middle in the playoffs or against KC or something they he ran wrong but worked out and someone mentioned it postgame.

sorry my brain was shit.

Glad to have you back, thanks for everything you do for this board.

I've been posting with some of you guys for 20 years since the John Thornton board in 03 under the name Bengal_Smoov, like my boy BJ, still waiting on the Burrow edition of the Whodeyian Chronicles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

I'm just trying to balance the scales in Evans's favor, since every media member that "covers" the Bengals predicted him getting cut. 

Seeing that the Bengals don't have many RBs under contract and with Mixon's legal issues and Williams' injury issues, the idea of Evans getting cut is out there.

Evans certainly had/has a lot to prove to this coaching staff, and there is some indication he is making progress.  On the other hand there are fewer guys in front of him as well.  My bet is we're gonna see more of Chris Evans this season.  I hope he performs well. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Seeing that the Bengals don't have many RBs under contract and with Mixon's legal issues and Williams' injury issues, the idea of Evans getting cut is out there.

Evans certainly had/has a lot to prove to this coaching staff, and there is some indication he is making progress.  On the other hand there are fewer guys in front of him as well.  My bet is we're gonna see more of Chris Evans this season.  I hope he performs well. 

I think he will, he just needs an opportunity to learn without fear of getting put in the doghouse after a mistake, no one can develop fully in an environment like that. 

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I think he will, he just needs an opportunity to learn without fear of getting put in the doghouse after a mistake, no one can develop fully in an environment like that. 

I agree that makes things tougher, but when you are a late round pick that's part of the equation.  You have to fight and claw for a spot. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I agree that makes things tougher, but when you are a late round pick that's part of the equation.  You have to fight and claw for a spot. 

Is he the only one that has to fight and claw for a spot, because Williams and Brown are both late-round picks as well?

Being that he's the only one on the roster at RB that has scored a TD in the NFL you would think he would be a little bit more respected and appreciated by the fans and media. There seems to be a feeling that Williams has the #2 spot locked up and Brown is a lock despite what happens during the games. 

Williams has not shown much in 4 years in the NFL, failing to record a TD and Brown struggled to break tackles, pass protect, and get anything positive going in the passing game. Why is it that Williams and Brown are locks but Evans has to fight, claw, and earn a spot on this team? They haven't proven more than Evans, shown more ability, etc..

9 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Is he the only one that has to fight and claw for a spot, because Williams and Brown are both late-round picks as well?

Being that he's the only one on the roster at RB that has scored a TD in the NFL you would think he would be a little bit more respected and appreciated by the fans and media. There seems to be a feeling that Williams has the #2 spot locked up and Brown is a lock despite what happens during the games. 

Williams has not shown much in 4 years in the NFL, failing to record a TD and Brown struggled to break tackles, pass protect, and get anything positive going in the passing game. 

I think you answered your own question about Williams, and he definitely saw more offensive action than Evans last season.  The bottom line is none of these guys have proven anything, but one of them is likely going to get an opportunity this season.  Personally, I don't have much faith in any of them until they prove it on the field.  Evans obviously hasn't impressed the coaches enough over his two seasons to get more than the occasional snap.  Yeah, he can catch the ball out of the backfield.  He has to do more than that to get regular play.  We'll see what happens.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I think you answered your own question about Williams, and he definitely saw more offensive action than Evans last season.  The bottom line is none of these guys have proven anything, but one of them is likely going to get an opportunity this season.  Personally, I don't have much faith in any of them until they prove it on the field.  Evans obviously hasn't impressed the coaches enough over his two seasons to get more than the occasional snap.  Yeah, he can catch the ball out of the backfield.  He has to do more than that to get regular play.  We'll see what happens.

Looks like he's doing it in real-time, we'll see what happens when Williams comes back onto the playing field. 

Paul Dehner, who always seems to have good sources on the offensive side, believes that the 3rd down back role has already been determined.

Cincinnati Bengals: Chris Evans seized the Samaje Perine role

The Bengals pass as much as any team in football, and as Perine proved last year, his spot can be valuable in this offense. Evans enjoyed a fantastic camp and made a compelling case for himself to be the passing-down back when the season starts. He has great hands and can be a real weapon for Joe Burrow out of the backfield, but solidifying his pass protection and downhill running is what won him the gig. — Paul Dehner Jr.

• Upvote 3

Good for him!  I always thought he was some sort of underdog for some reason.  

So do they keep four running backs?  Williams to IR or PUP or cut, even?  Can't see them cutting Chase Brown

I'd still like to see Mixon go but ain't gonna happen.  But he's gotta be on Double Secret Probation after 

getting out of his car and getting into a screaming bitch fight with a 44 year old woman.

And we always have to keep an eye on the late cuts by other teams.  We always get a few people there.

Still would like to see Clyde Edwards-Hilaire here... "We're getting the band back together"  ~ Elwood Blues

BTW... thanks for resurrecting this thread.  Interesting read after all this time.

57 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Good for him!  I always thought he was some sort of underdog for some reason.  

So do they keep four running backs?  Williams to IR or PUP or cut, even?  Can't see them cutting Chase Brown

I'd still like to see Mixon go but ain't gonna happen.  But he's gotta be on Double Secret Probation after 

getting out of his car and getting into a screaming bitch fight with a 44 year old woman.

And we always have to keep an eye on the late cuts by other teams.  We always get a few people there.

Still would like to see Clyde Edwards-Hilaire here... "We're getting the band back together"  ~ Elwood Blues

BTW... thanks for resurrecting this thread.  Interesting read after all this time.

Why do you want Clyde Edwards-Hilaire? So he can be injured on the sideline in Cincinnati instead of KC? 

He’s the epitome of unreliable, suffering major injuries in each of his first 3 seasons. The same people wanting him would be trashing him once he’s here. Anyone remember Chris Perry and the nicknames he was given by people on this site?  

3 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

... I'll never forget that on that LSU squad with Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Patrick Queen, etc .... Joe Burrow said the most athletic player on the whole team was Edwards-Helaire

With all due respect to Joe, I think he’s full of shit if he truly thinks CE-H is more athletic than JaMarr. Maybe JJ who isn’t the freak athlete the others are. Context surrounding that proclamation would be beneficial I think. 

I also love the idea of having a back like CE-H who can be a dangerous weapon catching passes out of the backfield but he’s always hurt. Always. You know what they say is the most important ability…

35 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

Why do you want Clyde Edwards-Hilaire? So he can be injured on the sideline in Cincinnati instead of KC? 

He’s the epitome of unreliable, suffering major injuries in each of his first 3 seasons. The same people wanting him would be trashing him once he’s here. Anyone remember Chris Perry and the nicknames he was given by people on this site?  

Hey if that's good enough for our starting RT...

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

With all due respect to Joe, I think he’s full of shit if he truly thinks CE-H is more athletic than JaMarr. Maybe JJ who isn’t the freak athlete the others are. Context surrounding that proclamation would be beneficial I think. 

I also love the idea of having a back like CE-H who can be a dangerous weapon catching passes out of the backfield but he’s always hurt. Always. You know what they say is the most important ability…

He's not wrong.

41 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

He's not wrong.

Yes, actually he’s wrong. Let’s compare players:

Clyde Edwards-Helaire:

40 Yard Dash: 4.60 seconds

40 Yard (MPH): 17.78 (MPH)

20 Yard Split: 2.68 seconds

10 Yard Split: 1.60 seconds

Bench Press: 15 reps (225 lb)

Wonderlic: (N/A) (0-50)

QB Ball Velocity: (N/A) (MPH)

Vertical Leap: 39.5 inches

Broad Jump: 123 inches

20 Yd Shuttle: (N/A) seconds 

Three Cone: (N/A) seconds

Shuttle Split: (N/A) seconds 

60 Yd Shuttle: (N/A) seconds

Four Square: (N/A) seconds

Ja’Marr Chase:

40 Yard Dash: 4.34 seconds

40 Yard (MPH): 18.85 (MPH)

20 Yard Split: 2.51 seconds

10 Yard Split: 1.59 seconds

Bench Press: (N/A) reps (225 lb)

Vertical Leap: 41.0 inches

Height: 72.38 inches

Weight: 201 lbs

Broad Jump: 132 inches

Hand Size: 9.63 inches

Arm Length: 30.75 inches

20 Yd Shuttle: 3.99 seconds 

Three Cone: 6.96 seconds

In what world is CE-H more athletic than Ja’Marr? Just because Joe Burrow says something doesn’t make it automatically true. That’s why I asked for context. Have you ever played team sports? Ever been in a situation where a particular guy needs to be uplifted for whatever reason? Ever use hyperbole to accomplish that? 

13 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

From the guy who saw them every day for 2 years ... Now what KC did to him after that who knows ...

IMG_20230823_202701.jpg

IMG_20230823_202931.jpg

IMG_20230823_202827.jpg

Joe’s still not correct. And that’s his subjective opinion. Data tells a whole different story. As does the eye test personally. When you see Ja’Marr move, and you see Helaire move, it’s evident who is more athletic. And it’s not even close. Ja’Marr is an elite level athlete. Helaire not so much. That’s going on the data, not Joe Burrows questionable judgment. Also, here’s the rest of that exchange between Patrick and Burrow:

Burrow: “No question.”

Patrick: “Really?”

Burrow: “(He’s) Unreal. He’s going to play for 20 years (in the NFL). Everyone looks at all my stats because we threw the ball so much, because we had great guys on the outside as well, but, I mean, Clyde is a different beast.”

That’s high praise coming from a player that captured the Heisman Trophy, the Maxwell Trophy, the Davey O’Brien Award and set the SEC and FBS all-time single-season passing touchdown records last year. If Edwards-Helaire wasn’t already on the NFL’s radar, he should be now following those comments.

The bolded paragraph is the key in to how to interpret Burrows nonsensical words. That’s why I asked for the context. That’s why in my above post to UncleEarl I asked if a “voice” on a team, a leader, had ever uplifted another player by using hyperbole. This is exactly what Burrow is doing here. He’s lifting Helaire up and telling the NFL world to draft him early. He may have helped his boy get drafted in the first round because of the utter bullshit he spewed on Dan Patrick’s show.  

Don’t EVER tell me a guy who runs a 4.60 40 is more athletic than one who runs a 4.35. Especially after you’ve seen the 10 and 20 yd splits, the broad jump numbers, vertical etc… 

CEH isn’t even close to the same level athlete Ja’Marr is.  I bet Burrow would have said the same thing even if a Bijan Robinson was on that team. Just to get his buddy drafted as high as possible. Quite admirable, but bullshit nonetheless. 

Last thing regarding Helaire. The article states he pulled his hamstring just before the Peach Bowl.  A walking injury waiting to happen. This guy makes Chris Perry and John Ross look like Cal Ripken in terms of durability. 

I realize Burrow has a soft spot for his guy, but objectively, it’s almost silly to give that answer. Now; if he would have said that Clyde is the focus of their offense due to defense having to decide what to do with him, cover with LB or bring a safety, which essentially dictates the offense’s approach to attacking the defense going forward, that would have been completely accurate. But those kind of words aren’t going to help your buddy’s draft stock whereas saying something shocking potentially will. Again, admirable but bullshit.   

On 8/14/2023 at 12:21 PM, BlackJesus said:

I wish the Chiefs would part ways with CEH ... I'm sure Burrow would tell Duke to bring him here immediately. 

Not to get in the middle of which one pours ketchup the smoothest but is there any chance at all of this happening?  Did he ask for a trade, on the bubble to make the roster, something better to offer than Flounder?