Best players who could miss final 53-man cut for Bengals

Chris Roling
Tue, Aug 22, 2023, 10:45 PM CDT·3 min read

8ae93e8ee040353dd0ca40522b729abb

The Cincinnati Bengals face the good problem of needing to make some brutally tough decisions in order to form a final 53-man roster.

That won’t happen until after the team’s final preseason game next weekend. Still, some of the developments in training camp and exhibitions themselves have started to help make the final roster picture a little clearer.

There are tough — but necessary — calls the team will have to make in both trenches and even on special teams.

These players are the best who might miss the final 53-man roster, which would put them in a position to find work elsewhere if the Bengals can’t find another way to keep them in some capacity.

WR Trent Taylor

Syndication: The Enquirer

Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd and rookies Andrei Iosivas and Charlie Jones. That’s five, plus it’s hard to imagine the team lets Trenton Irwin go. So unless they keep seven, Taylor — a capable player in the base offense and on returns — might lose out on the numbers game.

OL Hakeem Adeniji

(AP Photo/John McCoy)

(AP Photo/John McCoy)

The rise of D’Ante Smith hurts Adeniji. So does the unknown presence of La’el Collins, who could start on the PUP or go to the active roster. Either way, the Bengals have Jackson Carman looking comfortable as a left tackle backup and the combo of Cody Ford and Max Scharping appear to have interior backup spots covered.

RB Chris Evans

Katie Stratman-USA TODAY Sports

How many running backs do they keep? Joe Mixon, Trayveon Williams and rookie Chase Brown, surely. Evans has seemed to turn a corner, but do they opt to just call up a practice squad ‘back each week rather than roster four?

DE Jeff Gunter

(AP Photo/Aaron Doster)

(AP Photo/Aaron Doster)

This one hurts because Gunter was such a fun late-round breakout roster member last year. He’s still ascending, but the team drafted Myles Murphy and names like Raymond Johnson and even Owen Carney have been making some plays. If Murphy is hardly projecting to crack the active roster on game day thanks to Cam Sample, does Gunter make it at all?

DE Tarell Basham

Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Same story for Basham, who had the fun Ohio U. and Burrow connection when coming over in free agency. But that was before other moves and the team might opt for younger players they can stash.

CB Sidney Jones

Jones has looked uncomfortable in the scheme at times at the same time second-rounder DJ Turner has surged and seventh-rounder DJ Ivey has far exceeded expectations. Jalen Davis is a lock behind Mike Hilton in the slot and the team has to keep five safeties, so Jones’ time in town might be brief.

P Drue Chrisman

Unfortunately for Chrisman, this hasn’t felt like much of a competition. He had the absence due to a medical issue and rookie Brad Robbins has felt like the favorite regardless.

https://sports.yahoo.com/best-players-could-miss-final-034510561.html?src=rss

• Upvote 1

- Evans makes the team I think and they carry 4 RB.

- I would like to see Carman cut or traded if possible. My patience with him has run out. I'd rather even keep Adeniji over him.

- Whatever they do at WR, they should keep Stanley Morgan, the best punt gunner in the league. Put Charlie on IR and have him get the surgery to make the space.

- I like Gunter and he's cheap. Should try to keep him somehow. 

19 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think all of those are likely but I think Evans is safe. 

They will keep 4 RBs again this year. None of the RBs have shown enough to make them not keep 4.

Dark Horse cut - Jackson Carman

Part of it depends on how they go, position numbers-wise. Seems like Evans has earned a spot. We'll see what happens with Tray'veon Williams coming back from the ankle, too, but I could see them keeping 4 there. Evans can still return kicks, as we've seen, and really, all three RB backups can play on STs... not just as return guys. 

At OL, especially if they keep 9 on the 53, I could definitely see Carman getting cut - or traded. At least Adeniji can play T and G serviceably. With Scharping playing some C, he could knock Hill out and with Ford doing pretty well inside at G, and having some versatility to play T in a pinch, that helps his candidacy, too. And D'Onta Smith has reportedly looked better this camp... and then you have La'El likely getting PUP'd initially. So I know Adeniji isn't great, but I don't see him getting trucked like Carman seems to - in the preaseason, 

At DL, could def see Gunter and Basham getting cut, but would like to see at least Gunter coming back on the PS. They've got an embarrassment of riches there, when you also add in Dominique Davis and Raymond Johnson. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

- Evans makes the team I think and they carry 4 RB.

- I would like to see Carman cut or traded if possible. My patience with him has run out. I'd rather even keep Adeniji over him.

- Whatever they do at WR, they should keep Stanley Morgan, the best punt gunner in the league. Put Charlie on IR and have him get the surgery to make the space.

- I like Gunter and he's cheap. Should try to keep him somehow. 

This. 

If they are keeping five safeties and four running backs on active roster, something has to give. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Backup QB. They're like carrying a spare tire on a snowmobile.

I might be amicable to this if we had a guy like Mohammad Sanu who used to play the position and had shown he can do so in an emergency, but I'm not sure we do.  I don't care for the current backups either but, I think we got to have one. 

8 hours ago, Arkansas Bengal said:
Chris Roling
Tue, Aug 22, 2023, 10:45 PM CDT·3 min read

8ae93e8ee040353dd0ca40522b729abb

The Cincinnati Bengals face the good problem of needing to make some brutally tough decisions in order to form a final 53-man roster.

That won’t happen until after the team’s final preseason game next weekend. Still, some of the developments in training camp and exhibitions themselves have started to help make the final roster picture a little clearer.

There are tough — but necessary — calls the team will have to make in both trenches and even on special teams.

These players are the best who might miss the final 53-man roster, which would put them in a position to find work elsewhere if the Bengals can’t find another way to keep them in some capacity.

WR Trent Taylor

Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd and rookies Andrei Iosivas and Charlie Jones. That’s five, plus it’s hard to imagine the team lets Trenton Irwin go. So unless they keep seven, Taylor — a capable player in the base offense and on returns — might lose out on the numbers game.

OL Hakeem Adeniji

(AP Photo/John McCoy)

(AP Photo/John McCoy)

The rise of D’Ante Smith hurts Adeniji. So does the unknown presence of La’el Collins, who could start on the PUP or go to the active roster. Either way, the Bengals have Jackson Carman looking comfortable as a left tackle backup and the combo of Cody Ford and Max Scharping appear to have interior backup spots covered.

RB Chris Evans

How many running backs do they keep? Joe Mixon, Trayveon Williams and rookie Chase Brown, surely. Evans has seemed to turn a corner, but do they opt to just call up a practice squad ‘back each week rather than roster four?

DE Jeff Gunter

(AP Photo/Aaron Doster)

(AP Photo/Aaron Doster)

This one hurts because Gunter was such a fun late-round breakout roster member last year. He’s still ascending, but the team drafted Myles Murphy and names like Raymond Johnson and even Owen Carney have been making some plays. If Murphy is hardly projecting to crack the active roster on game day thanks to Cam Sample, does Gunter make it at all?

DE Tarell Basham

Same story for Basham, who had the fun Ohio U. and Burrow connection when coming over in free agency. But that was before other moves and the team might opt for younger players they can stash.

CB Sidney Jones

Jones has looked uncomfortable in the scheme at times at the same time second-rounder DJ Turner has surged and seventh-rounder DJ Ivey has far exceeded expectations. Jalen Davis is a lock behind Mike Hilton in the slot and the team has to keep five safeties, so Jones’ time in town might be brief.

P Drue Chrisman

Unfortunately for Chrisman, this hasn’t felt like much of a competition. He had the absence due to a medical issue and rookie Brad Robbins has felt like the favorite regardless.

https://sports.yahoo.com/best-players-could-miss-final-034510561.html?src=rss

Yes..all of them 

• Upvote 1