Official Bengals Cuts - post updates as You see them

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

There is something to that...but you have to choose them and I think you can only do it so many times or something. 

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/nfl/23851497/nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-size-roster-cuts-covid-19-coronavirus-nflpa-nfl-cba

This has what you were saying without the limitation I was saying.....

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I assume there has to be a limitation. The CBA wouldn't allow you to hold on to a player in demand for an entire year. 

In the link you provided, it does state that you can’t elevate a player from the PS to the game day roster more than 3x in a season… if you do it again, you have to elevate them to the 53. But I believe you can still “protect” 4 guys on the PS all year if you want. But what I don’t know is if you often you can change those 4 designees, if you want/need to. 

I do recall last year with Browning that he was on the PS, and one or more teams were sniffing around and trying to poach him onto their PS - and in response, the Bengals designated him as one of the two elevations so he’d get game checks. I don’t know if he was one of the protected 4 PS guys, but I suspect he wasn’t. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/30/bengals-bad-news-joseph-ossai-injury/?itm_source=parsely-api

Bengals get bad news on the Joseph Ossai injury front

The news has gone from slightly bad to worse for the Cincinnati Bengalswhen it comes to defensive end Joseph Ossai.

A preseason finale ankle injury initially reported as a sprain that could cost him Week 1 will now stretch longer.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Kelsey Conway,:wub: Ossai says he could miss up to four weeks, with a two-week re-check that could at least cost him the Week 2 game against Baltimore.

Adding to this, Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com noted that Ossai had a boot on his foot on Wednesday.

We’ll see if the Bengals decide to shift Ossai to injured reserve for the short-term in order to make other moves. But this development won’t encourage fans livid that Ossai was out there during a preseason game to ease off.

With Ossai out, the Bengals will presumably turn to the combo of Cam Sample and first-rounder Myles Murphy for help.

::::::::::::::::::::::

In other words, snatch Johnson III off the Lions practice squad before they protect him and get him on our 53 now.  I've not lost faith in Murph the Surf but think he is still developing and is still watching rather than reacting.  I think it will come but if Johnson III is a flash in the pan, I would rather see him flash here against Rubby Dubby and Lemur than pounding his pud in Detroit.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/30/bengals-bad-news-joseph-ossai-injury/?itm_source=parsely-api

Bengals get bad news on the Joseph Ossai injury front

The news has gone from slightly bad to worse for the Cincinnati Bengalswhen it comes to defensive end Joseph Ossai.

A preseason finale ankle injury initially reported as a sprain that could cost him Week 1 will now stretch longer.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Kelsey Conway,:wub: Ossai says he could miss up to four weeks, with a two-week re-check that could at least cost him the Week 2 game against Baltimore.

Adding to this, Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com noted that Ossai had a boot on his foot on Wednesday.

We’ll see if the Bengals decide to shift Ossai to injured reserve for the short-term in order to make other moves. But this development won’t encourage fans livid that Ossai was out there during a preseason game to ease off.

With Ossai out, the Bengals will presumably turn to the combo of Cam Sample and first-rounder Myles Murphy for help.

::::::::::::::::::::::

In other words, snatch Johnson III off the Lions practice squad before they protect him and get him on our 53 now.  I've not lost faith in Murph the Surf but think he is still developing and is still watching rather than reacting.  I think it will come but if Johnson III is a flash in the pan, I would rather see him flash here against Rubby Dubby and Lemur than pounding his pud in Detroit.

When they say “high ankle sprain” you can automatically count on a guy being out 4-6 weeks. Frustrating injury.  Slow to heal and you look fine walking and even running in a straight line.  

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

* Ossai should have never been playing in a 3rd preseason game. It goes to show you the unnecessary risks involved in these meaningless exhibitions (for guys who already made the team).

... I agree with going after Johnson III if possible. 

Yep totally, I’m sure the Browns’ fans are saying the same thing about Denzel Ward. 

Sounds like Cam Sample might have a breakout year… and Murphy is a work in progress for sure. But a lot of pass rush guys don’t start out just killing it. Myles Garrett, Micah Parsons and TJ Watt don’t grow on trees. 

Given that, I might also consider getting Johnson and IR’ing Ossai. But that would guarantee that Johnson stays on the 53 for 4 weeks. And you just wonder if they would dress Johnson when they would have Sam, Tre, BJ, DJ, Sample, Tupou, and Carter… that’s 7, and Carter can play end, too. Or if they are confident that Murphy is ready to get some snaps… seems like he played the run pretty well in the PS games, from what I saw (but so did Johnson).

2 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Yep totally, I’m sure the Browns’ fans are saying the same thing about Denzel Ward. 

Sounds like Cam Sample might have a breakout year… and Murphy is a work in progress for sure. But a lot of pass rush guys don’t start out just killing it. Myles Garrett, Micah Parsons and TJ Watt don’t grow on trees. 

Given that, I might also consider getting Johnson and IR’ing Ossai. But that would guarantee that Johnson stays on the 53 for 4 weeks. And you just wonder if they would dress Johnson when they would have Sam, Tre, BJ, DJ, Sample, Tupou, and Carter… that’s 7, and Carter can play end, too. Or if they are confident that Murphy is ready to get some snaps… seems like he played the run pretty well in the PS games, from what I saw (but so did Johnson).

Waiting to see if he is Inactive vs Cleveland to get him a little more seasoning.

39 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Gunter also had a good training camp, was certainly improved from last year when he was on the 53 man all season...yet this year ended up on the practice squad. That just goes to show you how deep they are at the position. Even if Johnson was put on the 53 man roster if Ossai got IRRed, I doubt he would be active without more injuries to guys higher on the depth chart.

2 hours ago, dex said:

Gunter also had a good training camp, was certainly improved from last year when he was on the 53 man all season...yet this year ended up on the practice squad. That just goes to show you how deep they are at the position. Even if Johnson was put on the 53 man roster if Ossai got IRRed, I doubt he would be active without more injuries to guys higher on the depth chart.

right, forgot Gunter. He can play STs too, and he had a kick block last year.