I thought we did not live in Cleveland?

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Wish more parents with kids you son’s age taught them the same.  I was a youth and junior high lacrosse coach for 7 years and a high school ref for 8.

The dramatic change in behavior over the last 10 years, with both the parents and players at the youth level is sad.  Parents throwing F-bombs and racial slurs is something new at the Junior High level.

Trash talking isn’t that new but openly trash talking while standing next to a ref is. Never had fights at any level until my last 2 years as a ref. Oddly enough, it was after the Covid year.  These were not baseball fights either, legit MMA punches being thrown. 

Gotta believe social media is causing most of this. 

social media has been an issue all over these kids lives, especially with girls, the nice modest chill girls constantly post hoe shit on social media and fake party stuff trying to fit in and look cool, so its russian roulette trying to date chicks for my kid, eliminating hoe ass chicks on social media, later finding out they arent like that at all jut like the attention. my kids had a few light arguments with kids on his team who tout themselves as star players and better than everyone else. and my kids like, thats crazy and here we are both sitting in nebraska on the developmental team, and you had 2 years of film and i had one tournament of film, sitting on the same bench on the same team. kids are delusional. high school and AAU is over, the equalizer has been dropped, youre in the same spot in life man.. who you foolin?

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Eh…I think social media is just the conduit.  We seem to be obsessed with ourselves and how we want things to be.  No respect for those who think or want things differently.  “Give me mine” seems to be the thought process.  

I live near a middle school.  When my kids were there 10 years or so ago people would line up in their cars in the right lane to pick up their kids after school.  Now they line up in both lanes totally shutting down the road.  They don’t care about anyone else or being polite to others.  It’s just about them.  Society is changing as it always does, but not for the better this time. 

This ends my old man rant for the day. 

chicken and the egg conversation, was social media a result or a cause, or both? social media put all the insecurities everyone has into the online public eye, magnifying the problems. IMO

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The legacy and alternative sports media is also a fueling point in the over-dependence on the “sports drug”.

They make every jot and tittle in every micro-occurrence in the daily life of athletes/teams, cataclysmic events which demand immediate reaction. Build this up over the course of week or weeks, and the pressure on the brains of even average fan becomes intense. Mix that in with booze before/during/after games, creates a powder keg. 

I do not read/listen/watch to any of these bloviating tank-top wearing clowns—nor pretty sports babes either. The closest I get to it is here—and I don’t read/listen to those either. 

Just watch the damn games. Easier on the psyche.

yea the hype and rage before games walking in is like a different world, my kid and i are walking into Paycor last few seasons like  ok i like so and so matchup or just we are gonna smash these dudes today type conversations, and people screaming and getting in your face all wild hyped, im happy youre having a good time, but that behavior isnt about sports guy. thats some shit youre working through, hahaha leave me out of it.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

To be honest, with the major exception of Squeeler games, the Bengal games are relatively fight free, with a few exceptions.

Seeing a lot more and brutal fights league wide which seems to be a reflection of our society recently.

in cleveland is the most fights per capita i have seen every single time.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Are breathalyzers before alcohol sales gonna have to be a thing? 

lol, no chance, anything limited alcohol sales isnt happening. some stadiums average $60/per person in alcohol sales per game. thats like 4 million per game.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Not sure they would help.  Just one more thing to make drunks angry. 

yea and honestly, with it being local midwest folk security and cops, ive seen people barely able to walk entering the stadium and security and cops just chuckle at them and do nothing, that would absolutely be addressed out here, being trashed out of your mind is just accepted in that region, "we've all been there" type outlook on it.

the teams have no motivation to limit alcohol sales, so i dont see it happening at all. they should sell 3.2% alcohol beer at events. thatd slow it down and increase revene

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

in cleveland is the most fights per capita i have seen every single time.

In all the years I’ve gone to Cincinnati/Cleveland games, I’ve only seen one fight and that was a drunk female Browns fan challenging other Browns fans to a fight. At that point, the Browns were losing 30-0.

I will say that I’m glad my son was never really into social media. The brief time he was on Facebook, he allowed me full access to his page and while he didn’t post a lot, some of the stuff some of his friends posted was scary 😟.

It used to be the only way you would witness really bad behavior or the Prima Donna behavior Go described was first hand.  Now that everyone has a hand held video camera capable of posting video to the world in seconds, we get to witness all the bad behavior, at every level, 24/7.  

We even had Oregon’s coach record his trash talk tirade and send it to the world.  That didn’t happened much 30 years ago if at all.  It’s the Steven A. Smith school of sports journalism that probably started with Jim Rome. 

• Upvote 1

I was fortunate enough to go to tons of games in the 70s.  I don’t remember any fights.  The last few NFL games I’ve been to have been in Carolina.  Fights at every game. Yeah, phone cameras and social media make it seem worse, but my experience has been similar.  Maybe just bad luck on my part. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I was fortunate enough to go to tons of games in the 70s.  I don’t remember any fights.  The last few NFL games I’ve been to have been in Carolina.  Fights at every game. Yeah, phone cameras and social media make it seem worse, but my experience has been similar.  Maybe just bad luck on my part. 

I remember it was fairly docile in Riverfront also back then. Nobody was geeked or pissed to the gills—just taking it in. 

I remember sitting in Section 326 (our spot) in the late ‘70’s next to around 5 Stealer fans. They were an anomaly in that they actually were from Pittsburgh. Semi-older guys, longtime season ticket holders in their own right, and very happy with the state of Stealer affairs in those glory days of theirs. 

With that said, most were only mildly irritated that Iron City wasn’t sold at the stadium, and lamenting they had “to drink this Strohs and Burger piss”. They had some great stories so it was actually a pleasant day.