Bucky Brooks 2024 NFL mock draft 1.0: Rams pick QB; Bengals, Giants among 5 teams to select WRs

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not going to lose my mind if they go WR in the first round, it's a deep OL draft and it seems like a real possibility.  But as for "dudes", Karras might be one & beyond him there's nothing like a difference maker on the OL - not in a good way, anyhow.  Karras himself will be 31 and a free agent next year. Have to hope OBJr settles in but with Volson next to him.. For now neither of them look like they'd hold off a talented rookie for very long.

Yes I understand drafting that kind of player is hard but I don't see it as a choice. They must to do a better job of protecting Burrow. I don't see any excuse to not be aggressive in free agency.  I don't know if they stay in SB contention for next year without it, there's too much riding on unknown draft picks right now. They need someone better than Cody Ford so we're not dependent on rookies.

For example, if they tagged & moved Higgins then dropped $15m+ on a mauler of an RT I'd be all for a 1st round WR.  Lucky us because they don't need to cut Higgins to afford that RT.  So.. what's the hold up? Take care of both glaring needs in FA & roll into the draft only sorely lacking a DT, which they've had success finding in any round.

I feel similarly. Their OL needs to be better, and for that matter, so does the interior of the DL. At WR, I fully expect Tee to be tagged and as much as I'd like to see it, I don't think they'll be able to come to terms with him on a longer-term deal... and with Chase, Jefferson and Lamb all coming up for deals in the next year or two, just can't see spending all that coin at WR. So while I do see WR as a need, especially with Tee likely gone in 2025 and TB very likely leaving as well, I wouldn't go there in round 1, assuming that there is both talent available at T and interior DL of equivalent value, and they still have needs after FA. 

As you stated, the depth on the OL sucks rocks and the starters, for the most part, aren't anything great either. They need OL help... whether it's via FA, the draft, or both... and interior DL first and foremost. With good OL play, Burrow can win without having premium talent at every WR spot. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, texbengal said:

Burrow can win without having premium talent at every WR spot. 

I'd think that's the assumption when paying a guy $250M.  If he needs 3 WR1's and a HoF TE he's not worth the money.  I don't think he does, take off the training wheels and concentrate on putting an actual NFL OL in front of him.  He'll take care of the rest.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'd think that's the assumption when paying a guy $250M.  If he needs 3 WR1's and a HoF TE he's not worth the money.  I don't think he does, take off the training wheels and concentrate on putting an actual NFL OL in front of him.  He'll take care of the rest.

This.

1 hour ago, texbengal said:

I feel similarly. Their OL needs to be better, and for that matter, so does the interior of the DL. At WR, I fully expect Tee to be tagged and as much as I'd like to see it, I don't think they'll be able to come to terms with him on a longer-term deal... and with Chase, Jefferson and Lamb all coming up for deals in the next year or two, just can't see spending all that coin at WR. So while I do see WR as a need, especially with Tee likely gone in 2025 and TB very likely leaving as well, I wouldn't go there in round 1, assuming that there is both talent available at T and interior DL of equivalent value, and they still have needs after FA. 

As you stated, the depth on the OL sucks rocks and the starters, for the most part, aren't anything great either. They need OL help... whether it's via FA, the draft, or both... and interior DL first and foremost. With good OL play, Burrow can win without having premium talent at every WR spot. 

100%....

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The Chiefs have had to rely on their defense this year just to get to 10-7 because Mahomes only had a HOF TE and one good WR and he couldn't single-handedly carry the offense. Are we going to expect Burrow to lead an elite offense if he has Chase and a bunch of JAGs?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, happyrid said:

The Chiefs have had to rely on their defense this year just to get to 10-7 because Mahomes only had a HOF TE and one good WR and he couldn't single-handedly carry the offense. Are we going to expect Burrow to lead an elite offense if he has Chase and a bunch of JAGs?

With a good OL & the run game that comes with it, honestly yeah I think he'd be fine because he's a better QB than Mahomes.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not going to lose my mind if they go WR in the first round, it's a deep OL draft and it seems like a real possibility.  But as for "dudes", Karras might be one & beyond him there's nothing like a difference maker on the OL - not in a good way, anyhow.  Karras himself will be 31 and a free agent next year. Have to hope OBJr settles in but with Volson next to him.. For now neither of them look like they'd hold off a talented rookie for very long.

Yes I understand drafting that kind of player is hard but I don't see it as a choice. They must to do a better job of protecting Burrow. I don't see any excuse to not be aggressive in free agency.  I don't know if they stay in SB contention for next year without it, there's too much riding on unknown draft picks right now. They need someone better than Cody Ford so we're not dependent on rookies.

For example, if they tagged & moved Higgins then dropped $15m+ on a mauler of an RT I'd be all for a 1st round WR.  Lucky us because they don't need to cut Higgins to afford that RT.  So.. what's the hold up? Take care of both glaring needs in FA & roll into the draft only sorely lacking a DT, which they've had success finding in any round.

While I made a case for WR in the 1st, I think the problem we run into is that there isn't a great OT in free agency. If we want a top RT, 1st round of the draft is the only real avenue. I think ideally you do sign a mid-tier OT who could start if the rookie isn't ready or the draft doesn't fall your way. Like a Jermaine Eleumenor type. 

Of the positions we need, DT is by far the most loaded in free agency. If I was running things, I'd try to get Reader back on a multi-year deal and sign a good FA defensive tackle. 

If they can't get Higgins extended, I'd also be very open to trying to tag and trade him for an early 2nd. This looks like the best WR draft in a decade. It is a very important position and I think they need to hit on one at some point in the first 2 or 3 rounds this year. If they trade Higgins for a 2, I like the idea of taking multiple 2nd round WRs to increase the odds they hit on one. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, happyrid said:

While I made a case for WR in the 1st, I think the problem we run into is that there isn't a great OT in free agency. If we want a top RT, 1st round of the draft is the only real avenue. I think ideally you do sign a mid-tier OT who could start if the rookie isn't ready or the draft doesn't fall your way. Like a Jermaine Eleumenor type. 

Of the positions we need, DT is by far the most loaded in free agency. If I was running things, I'd try to get Reader back on a multi-year deal and sign a good FA defensive tackle. 

If they can't get Higgins extended, I'd also be very open to trying to tag and trade him for an early 2nd. This looks like the best WR draft in a decade. It is a very important position and I think they need to hit on one at some point in the first 2 or 3 rounds this year. If they trade Higgins for a 2, I like the idea of taking multiple 2nd round WRs to increase the odds they hit on one. 

Good points 

Chase and Higgins will start for them this year.

Cupboard is rather bare.

Add a RT and DT before anything else

excluding a FA signing.

Not signing Reader to a multi year deal...just not..

Too expensive aside he's injured and 

They have NO RT or NT.......

Gotta fix that...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Yet here are the Chiefs on the AFC Championship game.

They have a very good oline  and defensive wall up front.

Foundation for great teams..

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Let's take a step back their tackles are awful smith and jawaan Taylor the guards and center are good

Step back taken cuz your right.

They may have the worst OT combo in the league.

Their interior is rock solid though.

Mahomes truly is a master at QB..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

Right, ideally free agency is for the ok-to-good players, like the other 40+ guys that make up an NFL roster.  Then you have maybe a dozen impact players (on a good team) that could be in the discussion for top 10 at their position, if not exactly Pro Bowlers. If most of that group aren't your own draft picks any championship window is going to be very brief.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, happyrid said:

Kermit is the undisputed master of extending plays. Joe is not. Throw in a real commitment to running the ball, and there is a reason they are where they are. 

Either an impenetrable wall will be needed with 1 great WR/JAGs, or a lot of top-end receivers. There will never be a sold-out commitment to running the ball here, so they will need to flood the field with receivers—and not the quality of Iosivas or Jones either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Kermit is the undisputed master of extending plays. Joe is not. Throw in a real commitment to running the ball, and there is a reason they are where they are. 

Either an impenetrable wall will be needed with 1 great WR/JAGs, or a lot of top-end receivers. There will never be a sold-out commitment to running the ball here, so they will need to flood the field with receivers—and not the quality of Iosivas or Jones either. 

I could see WR in round 3 but I know MB loves receivers and corners.

Wouldn't completely surprise me if they take one in 2nd if he's what their looking for with Tee leaving (?) after this season..

Bengals are infatuated with skilled players.

Inbreds stains and rats build lines.

I believe the Blackburn women are aware of this and will override the old boy in building a foundation on both sides..

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Kermit is the undisputed master of extending plays. Joe is not.

Superbowl and AFCC in back to back years while being the most sacked QB in the NFL over those 2 seasons.  That's not "extending plays"?

And lets recall, it would have been two Superbowls if Kermit didn't get a free 5th down play. 

In conclusion, fuck that guy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Superbowl and AFCC in back to back years while being the most sacked QB in the NFL over those 2 seasons.  That's not "extending plays"?

And lets recall, it would have been two Superbowls if Kermit didn't get a free 5th down play. 

In conclusion, fuck that guy.

Kermit acrimony aside, he has the (should be anyway) world class talent to keep plays alive. Exhibit A was in BUF last week. 

Not sure what the correlation of sacks=escapability would be; however St Joseph does not have that kind of Kermit ability…at least not now. He has shown a little better in-pocket dodging…but when sliding away to the outside, he has this nasty habit of turning into the trapping defender as opposed to turning away. Just one observation. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Kermit acrimony aside, he has the (should be anyway) world class talent to keep plays alive. Exhibit A was in BUF last week. 

Not sure what the correlation of sacks=escapability would be; however St Joseph does not have that kind of Kermit ability…at least not now. He has shown a little better in-pocket dodging…but when sliding away to the outside, he has this nasty habit of turning into the trapping defender as opposed to turning away. Just one observation. 

Simply that if you're going to a SB while being sacked more than any other QB you must be running for your life keeping plays alive.

That's been the case every time he's on the field, from what I've seen. To the point where I have to convince myself it's not the actual gameplan - just ride him til he gets hurt then blame bad luck.

Put Kermit behind the Bengals OL and he'd be lucky to get 6 wins. Really do not get the sudden admiration for this guy.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Simply that if you're going to a SB while being sacked more than any other QB you must be running for your life keeping plays alive.

That's been the case every time he's on the field, from what I've seen. To the point where I have to convince myself it's not the actual gameplan - just ride him til he gets hurt then blame bad luck.

Put Kermit behind the Bengals OL and he'd be lucky to get 6 wins. Really do not get the sudden admiration for this guy.

Admiration?

He's earned it

• Upvote 1