Alex Erickson potential as a receiver

Erickson showed some potential as a kick returner, but I wonder how much potential he has as a WR.

On the positive side he was a QB until he went to college and only played 3 years.  So it is possible that he still has a lot to learn about how to get off press coverage and run precise routes.  He was not a godd return man in college, so that proves he is able to learn and develop.

On the negative side he is not physically imposing.  At 6'0", 198 he is not small, but he is not a big target.  He does not have exception speed (4.52 forty) or leaping ability (34 vert).  But we have a good receiver coach (Urban) and Erickson has shown some moves and athleticism.

I don't see him as being one of our top WRs.  But if we are going to keep him as a return man I'd like for him to be able to step in and produce if we have some WRs get injured.  He also needs to be able to play on the cover teams in addition to returning kicks.

32 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Erickson showed some potential as a kick returner, but I wonder how much potential he has as a WR.

On the positive side he was a QB until he went to college and only played 3 years.  So it is possible that he still has a lot to learn about how to get off press coverage and run precise routes.  He was not a godd return man in college, so that proves he is able to learn and develop.

On the negative side he is not physically imposing.  At 6'0", 198 he is not small, but he is not a big target.  He does not have exception speed (4.52 forty) or leaping ability (34 vert).  But we have a good receiver coach (Urban) and Erickson has shown some moves and athleticism.

I don't see him as being one of our top WRs.  But if we are going to keep him as a return man I'd like for him to be able to step in and produce if we have some WRs get injured.  He also needs to be able to play on the cover teams in addition to returning kicks.

He seems like one of those dudes that would make for a good offensive gadget player 4-5 snaps a game.  Since we're all about doing that weird shit on offense anyway..

I think Gio should play more a of wildcard role too, as far as that goes.  What happened to lining him up in the slot?

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

What were his shuttle and 3-cone times?  I think he's quick enough to be a slot guy if they think Boyd can play outside.

10 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Why can't he play the slot?

Do we currently have someone who is much better at it?

Boyd will be a better fit in the slot in the NFL.

Of the rookies last year Core played almost 4 times as many snaps on offense as Erickson (261 to 78).  So if we don't add a WR in the offseason we will probably see Boyd starting and then moving into the slot when we go 3 WR sets with Core playing the outside.

But I don't see anyway we don't either re-sign LaFell (or another free agent WR) or draft one relatively early.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

What were his shuttle and 3-cone times?  I think he's quick enough to be a slot guy if they think Boyd can play outside.

6.82 3-cone (would have ranked 9th among WR at the '16 combine) and 4.14 short shuttle (7th).

Good enough to develop into a decent slot receiver.  Remember that he had only played the WR position for 3 seasons when we signed him.

9 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I'd be fine with moving on from Lafell. He was ok, but the truth is that if the OL gives Dalton time, he's pretty good at getting it to the WR's. 

But Core seemed to struggle to get separation.  Andy can't fix that.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Core is still progressing as a WR.  He played DB his first couple of years in college.

Yep.  I am not ready to write him off.  But not ready to depend on him as a starter.

Surprised that he did not play more on ST.  He was highly regarded as a ST player in college, and Marvin does not mind keeping an active WR on the roster just to play teams.

51 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

But Core seemed to struggle to get separation.  Andy can't fix that.

I just don't think that it's wise to invest highly in the WR position outside of AJ. You have AJ, a top 5 WR in the game. You shouldn't have to invest much more in the group. It should not be difficult to find guys who can get open when you AJ on one side, (sometimes) Eifert down the middle, and Gio/Burkhead out of the backfield. 

In terms of Erickson, why can't he be as good as Cole Beasley? I only saw him for a few snaps at the slot (for the same reason it took 4 years for Burkhead to play) but he seemed to do well. Boyd may be a player at some point, but I'm not sure he proved he's head and shoulders better than guys like Core and Erickson at this point. 

We need a line who will allow Dalton to go through his progressions. That's why I wanted Alexander gone yesterday. 

Anyway, the passing offense this season was nothing more than screen passes. Do we need to pay Lafell to do that?

2 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

We need a line who will allow Dalton to go through his progressions. That's why I wanted Alexander gone yesterday. 

Alexander is the best in the league at coaching pass protection.  It is run blocking where we have problems

Anyway, the passing offense this season was nothing more than screen passes. Do we need to pay Lafell to do that?

Less than one in five of our pass attempts was a screen pass (Dalton was 10th in number of screen passes thrown) so my guess is "Yes" we need a WR to work with on the 80+ percent of the time we throw the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Really incredible how little some fans around here know.

2 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Alexander is the best in the league at coaching pass protection.  It is run blocking where we have problems

Less than one in five of our pass attempts was a screen pass (Dalton was 10th in number of screen passes thrown) so my guess is "Yes" we need a WR to work with on the 80+ percent of the time we throw the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Stop messing with people's pre-conceived notions.

:lol: 

34 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Are you dense?

Or are you just a company hack whose job it is to post here?

PA is the best in the league at coaching pass protection? You're kidding, right? Try watching Dante Scarnecchia's line give Brady a pocket. Try watching Munchak's line give Roethlisberger all the time in the world, you fucking hack. Go look at the time Rodgers has in the pocket before he has to throw the ball, you fucking shill. By the way, other than Boling, show me a time that the greatest pass protection coach in the NFL has had the ability to develop an OL prospect who wasn't a high draft pick?

Braham was a long time ago, you fucking stepford wife. Right now I'm watching two teams with great offensive lines coached by great offensive line coaches. 4 out of the ten starting linemen were drafted in the first 2 rounds. The great Paul Alexander has 3 on his shit offensive line right now!

33 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Try watching Dante Scarnecchia's line give Brady a pocket. Try watching Munchak's line give Roethlisberger all the time in the world, you fucking hack. Go look at the time Rodgers has in the pocket before he has to throw the ball, you fucking shill. 

Right now I'm watching two teams with great offensive lines coached by great offensive line coaches.

Over the last 4 years the Bengals have allowed fewer sacks than any of the four teams left in the playoffs

Cin.....125

NE.....128

Pitt....130

Atl.....144

GB.....157

46 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Are you dense?

Or are you just a company hack whose job it is to post here?

PA is the best in the league at coaching pass protection? You're kidding, right? Try watching Dante Scarnecchia's line give Brady a pocket. Try watching Munchak's line give Roethlisberger all the time in the world, you fucking hack. Go look at the time Rodgers has in the pocket before he has to throw the ball, you fucking shill. By the way, other than Boling, show me a time that the greatest pass protection coach in the NFL has had the ability to develop an OL prospect who wasn't a high draft pick?

Braham was a long time ago, you fucking stepford wife. Right now I'm watching two teams with great offensive lines coached by great offensive line coaches. 4 out of the ten starting linemen were drafted in the first 2 rounds. The great Paul Alexander has 3 on his shit offensive line right now!

good lord, why so shitty? 

14 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Over the last 4 years the Bengals have allowed fewer sacks than any of the four teams left in the playoffs

Cin.....125

NE.....128

Pitt....130

Atl.....144

GB.....157

18 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Cin.....125

NE.....128

Pitt....130

Atl.....144

GB.....157

The Bengals offense hasn't been inside the top 10 in any of those years. Brady, the Rapist and Rodgers are famous for trying to make plays and are willing to take additional time to do so.  With that comes more big plays and more sacks.

They regularly play in and win playoff games and Super Bowls.  Dalton gets the Least Sacked Trophy and a bowl of Chili at Skyline.

Let me step back from my previous comment that PA was "the bets" at coaching pass protection.  He may not be the best, but he is one of the best.

This is from a feature story Sports Illustrated did on Alexander in the middle of the '15 season.  I am sure the O-line ranking dropped a bit after the '16 performance, but it still shows how consistently good the bengals have been at pass blocking

http://www.si.com/vault/2016/02/11/lay-it-line

Since 2007, when the stat was first kept, the Bengals rank first in PFF's pass-blocking-efficiency statistic ("a rating that reflects the most efficient pass blockers on a per-pass-blocking snap basis") at 84.1%. The league average is 79.5%. And Cincinnati has been remarkably consistent year to year, ranking outside the top six of that stat just once.

I just don't think that it's wise to invest highly in the WR position outside of AJ. You have AJ, a top 5 WR in the game. You shouldn't have to invest much more in the group. It should not be difficult to find guys who can get open when you AJ on one side, (sometimes) Eifert down the middle, and Gio/Burkhead out of the backfield. 

In terms of Erickson, why can't he be as good as Cole Beasley? I only saw him for a few snaps at the slot (for the same reason it took 4 years for Burkhead to play) but he seemed to do well. Boyd may be a player at some point, but I'm not sure he proved he's head and shoulders better than guys like Core and Erickson at this point. 

I want to draft Mike Williams out of Clemson In the first round. Ajs starting to get up there in age and Williams is the heir apparent.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Let me step back from my previous comment that PA was "the bets" at coaching pass protection.  He may not be the best, but he is one of the best.

This is from a feature story Sports Illustrated did on Alexander in the middle of the '15 season.  I am sure the O-line ranking dropped a bit after the '16 performance, but it still shows how consistently good the bengals have been at pass blocking

http://www.si.com/vault/2016/02/11/lay-it-line

Since 2007, when the stat was first kept, the Bengals rank first in PFF's pass-blocking-efficiency statistic ("a rating that reflects the most efficient pass blockers on a per-pass-blocking snap basis") at 84.1%. The league average is 79.5%. And Cincinnati has been remarkably consistent year to year, ranking outside the top six of that stat just once.

Our offense hasnt been inside the top 10 any of those years and that includes years with Palmer.  The stat is pretty meaningless.

In that same time frame the Patriots have been inside the top 10 every year but one.  According to you we are better at pass blocking.  Stats don't replace eyeballs or AFC Championships,.or Super Bowl rings.

5 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

I want to draft Mike Williams out of Clemson In the first round. Ajs starting to get up there in age and Williams is the heir apparent.

A.J. is only 28. He's in his prime. There are some arguments to draft a receiver in the first round but Green's age is not a legit one.

Just now, Jpoore said:

It is if u believe Williams is the next aj which I agree. And also by the time Williams rookie deal is done aj would be 34.

I don't think he is the next AJ. He doesn't get near the separation AJ does. Great jump ball receiver, not quite as dynamic. I also doubt the Bengals are planning for 6 years from now. 

I like Williams, just don't believe we use a top 10 pick on a #2 receiver.

Archived