Could Chris Hope be a Bengal!!???

Here is something I found.

From NFL.com
[i]Chris Hope: Here's another guy who had a very good Super Bowl and playoff run as a complementary player to All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu in Pittsburgh. As a two-year starter, he has 185 tackles and four interceptions to his credit in that time. The 26-year-old safety already has seven playoff starts under his belt. [b]Look for a division rival to be very interested in him because they know him best of all.[/b] [/i]

Guest Matt_Six
[quote name='BadassBengal' post='218030' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:31 PM']Yea, it was hit on in another thread, but yea, I hope he becomes a Bengal. I'd either like to pick him up in FA, or sign [b]Adam Archuleta[/b]. Yep....yep.[/quote]

Glad you see things my way...

Guest happyrid
With some decent free agents out there and a ridiculously deep draft class, there is no excuse for not drastically upgrading the safety position next to Madieu.

I like some of the guys in the draft and think we could find a great one in round two, but it would also be nice to fill the hole in FA so we could use the pick on a CB or DL.

[quote name='Matt_Six' post='218029' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:28 PM']I think that has been hit on in another thread... not sure though. I know I read it before, though.[/quote]
Yes it was, I posted the full article it featured from yesterday, in the 'March 2' FA thread, and I highlighted the part about Chris Hope in exactly the same way.

COPYCAT!!!! Just kiddin'.

CHris Hope may be one of the better cheaper FA's availble. Would be a good fit I feel. Only 2 and a half weeks to go now...

I would say that has more to do with doing trades within the division...and probably every team in the league would refrain from trading within their division...

Free agency is a different animal...teams raid their division rivals free agents all the time...especially the AFC West and NFC South

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218575' date='Feb 15 2006, 02:46 AM']im not so sure why everyone is so quick to want to replace the player who was second on the team in tackles??? with Madieu and KK back there next season the saftey position will be well taken care of![/quote]

Oh, gawd no. KK should be a back-up and teams player. And maybe a dime-back. But NOT a starting safety.

[quote name='Jason' post='218661' date='Feb 15 2006, 09:17 AM'][quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218575' date='Feb 15 2006, 02:46 AM']
im not so sure why everyone is so quick to want to replace the player who was second on the team in tackles??? with Madieu and KK back there next season the saftey position will be well taken care of![/quote]

Oh, gawd no. KK should be a back-up and teams player. And maybe a dime-back. But NOT a starting safety.
[/quote]

Completely agree :headbang:

[quote name='bengalrick' post='218708' date='Feb 15 2006, 10:18 AM']could madieu or hope play SS?

that is the main question here... i'd say that madieu could get it done...

i'd LOVE to have hope in stripes...[/quote]

My thoughts exactly Chris Hope in stripes with Madieu would be so kickass.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Jason' post='218661' date='Feb 15 2006, 09:17 AM'][quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218575' date='Feb 15 2006, 02:46 AM']
im not so sure why everyone is so quick to want to replace the player who was second on the team in tackles??? with Madieu and KK back there next season the saftey position will be well taken care of![/quote]

[/quote]

Kaesviharn....87 tkls, 3 ints, 8 passes defended, 1 sack
Hope.............97 tkls, 3 ints, 5 passes defended, 0 sacks

And Hope had the benefit of starting across from Troy Polamalu the whole season. Don't you guys remember that the Steelers DBs (except Polamalu) were supposed to be their weak link? Remember what Carson did to them?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='218730' date='Feb 15 2006, 10:49 AM']why overpay for something we can get cheaper in the draft with potentally more upside?[/quote]

Why not keep KK and let the man play his position alongside someone that will make him better! remember folks 14 games of the season KK was asked to play madieu's position alongside the worst SS to ever dress in a bengals uniform, hell the worst SS in nfl history. the man isnt costing us much and proved his worth as a starter... KK isnt going anywhere!

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218855' date='Feb 15 2006, 04:06 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='218730' date='Feb 15 2006, 10:49 AM']
why overpay for something we can get cheaper in the draft with potentally more upside?[/quote]

Why not keep KK and let the man play his position alongside someone that will make him better! remember folks 14 games of the season KK was asked to play madieu's position alongside the worst SS to ever dress in a bengals uniform, hell the worst SS in nfl history. the man isnt costing us much and proved his worth as a starter... KK isnt going anywhere!
[/quote]

Dude put the pipe down. KK isnt a very Psychical and gets dragged when having to tackle RBs from time to time. He's a backup at best.

I don't think Chris Hope would be that much more of an improvement over KK.

Now don't get me wrong, KK needs to be in the starting line up like we need a
a hole in our heads. But, I was never impressed with the Squeeler secondary as
a whole. Troy "super fly Jimmy Sanuka" Pomalulu is a good player, but the media
over-hypes him as if he is the second coming of Ronnie Lott.

Ike Taylor in my opinion was the Squeelers most solid and promising player besides
the Tonga Kid.

Had Carson not been injured on purpose he would of torched all of them.
Besides, if the Bengal's sign Hope, the locker room would wreak of former
Squeeler poop.

Guest starkesn
I doesn't say that [b]WE[/b] are the ones looking at him. You have to remember that Demps is possibly leaving in Baltimore, so it could be implying them as well. I think we will be looking within the division for free agents this year (kemoatu and hope), but this could be referring to the Ravens just as easily as it could be to us.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218855' date='Feb 15 2006, 04:06 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='218730' date='Feb 15 2006, 10:49 AM']
why overpay for something we can get cheaper in the draft with potentally more upside?[/quote]

[/quote]

KK was adequate as a SS when he had Madieu next to him, considering that in this defense a SS and a FS are one and the same. He has the mind and savvy to be a starter, but he doesn't have the size, physical attibutes, or the athleticism to be a starting NFL safety. If KK could get faster overnight and put on about 20 lbs. on his 6-1, 195 lb frame, then we could toy with that idea. But since that won't happen, he will be a backup. Our new stud safety has to come from the draft, just like Madieu Williams. He has to be able to do all the things that Madieu can do, and be able to hit harder and tackle well, since he is going to play in the strong safety position. KK's fatal flaw is that he doesn't have the ideal size or range to be a Marvin Lewis safety. He can't reach the sidelines from the middle of the field simply because he doesn't have the speed to do so. It isn't a mental thing, but more of a physical thing. That is why we went with Carson over Jon after his big year in 2003. Carson has the physical tools to run the offense effectively, while Kitna didn't.

However, if our new draft pick struggles with picking up our defense, then play Kaseviharn. He hardly gets caught out of position and often knows where the play is going to be, but lacks the athletism to make that play (all of KK's picks were thrown or tipped right at him). I really don't think that will be a problem though, since KK knows the defense as well as anyone on the roster. How else do you think that Madieu picked up the defense so quickly?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='218857' date='Feb 15 2006, 04:11 PM'][quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218855' date='Feb 15 2006, 04:06 PM']
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='218730' date='Feb 15 2006, 10:49 AM']

[/quote]

Dude put the pipe down. KK isnt a very Psychical and gets dragged when having to tackle RBs from time to time. He's a backup at best.
[/quote]

If KK wasnt physical he wouldnt have been second on the team in tackles... our entire defensive unit cant tackle to save their lives so why single out KK. im saying that the money we will spend on a Hope or Demps we can use in the larger areas of concern (DT,DE,CB,WR,TE) ... give KK some time, he improved greatly from the 04 to the 05 season he has earned his keep as our number 1 SS and i believe that come week 1 he will be our starter! honestly i would say that the only weakness in our secondary is Tory James... we replace him with a solid corner opposite Deltha with KK and Madieu in the middle and we have one of the best secondaries in football. again look at KK's numbers compared to some top name SS in this league and you will find that he was among the elite this season, with a worthless fucking bum standing next to him!

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218970' date='Feb 15 2006, 08:31 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='218857' date='Feb 15 2006, 04:11 PM']
[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218855' date='Feb 15 2006, 04:06 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If KK wasnt physical he wouldnt have been second on the team in tackles... our entire defensive unit cant tackle to save their lives so why single out KK. im saying that the money we will spend on a Hope or Demps we can use in the larger areas of concern (DT,DE,CB,WR,TE) ... give KK some time, he improved greatly from the 04 to the 05 season he has earned his keep as our number 1 SS and i believe that come week 1 he will be our starter! honestly i would say that the only weakness in our secondary is Tory James... we replace him with a solid corner opposite Deltha with KK and Madieu in the middle and we have one of the best secondaries in football. again look at KK's numbers compared to some top name SS in this league and you will find that he was among the elite this season, with a worthless fucking bum standing next to him!
[/quote]

I dont want to spend money in FA on a saftey either, because this draft is deep with them. Also KK wasnt #2 on the team in tackels becasue of how good he is, he was because of his position, Madieu was #2 last year and Landon was #1 as the MLB, but we still drafted Odell and it was an upgrade. I want to draft a saftey to put next to madieu, because it will be an upgrade.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='219461' date='Feb 17 2006, 01:59 PM'][quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218970' date='Feb 15 2006, 08:31 PM']
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='218857' date='Feb 15 2006, 04:11 PM']
[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='218855' date='Feb 15 2006, 04:06 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I dont want to spend money in FA on a saftey either, because this draft is deep with them. [b]Also KK wasnt #2 on the team in tackels becasue of how good he is, he was because of his position, Madieu was #2 last year and Landon was #1 as the MLB, but we still drafted Odell and it was an upgrade.[/b] I want to draft a saftey to put next to madieu, because it will be an upgrade.
[/quote]

do you really believe this??? :blink:

your saying that because hes a safety he should be one of the leading tacklers???

Archived