Who do you want to win a ring Blake or Dillon?

Guest CrazyIrishman5

Guest CrazyIrishman5
• Ring of honor: One thing's for sure. An ex-Bengal will win a Super Bowl ring — either New England tailback Corey Dillon or the Philadelphia connection of quarterback Jeff Blake and tight end Jeff Thomason.

Thomason, 35, is the luckiest man on the planet. He was working as a project manager for a construction company in New Jersey when the Eagles called him out of retirement in the wake of Chad Lewis' foot injury in the NFC title game.

The Bengals signed Thomason as a non-drafted college free agent out of Oregon in '92. After two undistinguished seasons (4 catches, 22 yards), his career blossomed with Green Bay and Philadelphia.

Thomason played in two Super Bowls with the Packers when Eagles head coach Andy Reid was an assistant under Mike Holmgren, and he earned a Super Bowl ring (1996 season). Give it up to J.T. He's the man-bites-dog story of the week.

• Moss mess: Who died and made FOX sportscaster Joe Buck king of the airwaves? The Emmy Award-winner had no business abusing the Vikings' Randy Moss after Moss' fake moon in Green Bay.

All Moss did was poke a little fun at self-absorbed Packers fans by mocking their parking lot tradition. But Buck ruined the light-hearted moment, calling it "disgusting."

Buck was raised in a pristine environment in St. Louis, weaned by the bottle and blanket of his famous father, late Hall of Fame broadcaster Jack Buck. Until he walks a mile in Moss' shoes back in Rand, W.Va., Buck shouldn't throw stones from his glass house.

• Dead wrong: One of CBS' talking heads claimed during the AFC title game that the Patriots have all their key players "locked up" under contract. Not true.

Six key Patriots become unrestricted free agents this year, including kicker Adam Vinatieri and a pair of starters in left guard Joe Andruzzi and fullback Patrick Pass. The others are solid backups — strong safety Je'Rod Cherry, linebacker Don Davis and wide receiver David Patten.

• Ulterior motive: On the surface, Southern California Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart is a prince in gym shoes, saying he'll forego the NFL's riches and return to the Trojans for his senior year in an attempt to win another Heisman and national championship.

You can't help but wonder if his decision would have been different had USC's roster not been loaded with talent and the dreaded 49ers not held the No. 1 draft pick. Digging below the surface, Leinart has some selfishness in him. Barring an unforeseen injury, he KNOWS he'll succeed with the Trojans in '05 and be a high draft pick in '06. And he doesn't want to play for the 49ers. He values his health too much.

• Sacred cow: If I'm Hall of Famer Steve Largent, no way do I let future Hall of Famer Jerry Rice wear my uniform No. 80 for the Seahawks. That number is sacred in Seattle. What's more, it was retired. But the classy Largent relented, giving Rice the go-ahead.

Shane Matthews would've loved to have worn No. 9 in Washington in 2002, but permission was denied, and rightfully so, because No. 9 belongs to Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen.

No 49er has worn No. 80 since Rice split after the 2000 season. Someday, a player's gonna want to bring it out of moth balls. Think he'll ever get Rice's permission? Don't count on it.

• Rush to judgment: We haven't heard Rush Limbaugh's name in awhile, but I got a funny feeling we'll hear it soon.

Limbaugh resigned in the wake of a controversy he created in 2003 on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown when he said the media has overrated the Eagles' Donovan McNabb because they want to see a black quarterback succeed.

Overrated? McNabb is arguably the best, and most underrated, quarterback in the NFL. He works magic with, and without, great receivers. He keeps plays alive with his quick feet and supreme vision, then stops and fires lasers on the money. He's a great player and leader, two reasons why I'm rooting for him to get a ring.

• Not so fast: Former 49ers quarterback Steve Young is one of 15 finalists eligible for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but his election is far from a rubber stamp.

For all of Young's wondrous athleticism, let's not forget he played on a team that deliberately violated the salary cap. Violations involving the contracts of Young, Brent Jones, Lee Woodall and Jim Druckenmiller led to a December 2000 settlement in which the NFL fined 49ers executives Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark $400,000 and $200,000, respectively, and stripped the team of a fifth-round draft pick in 2001.

Young was Houdini on the field, but the league sacked him, agent Leigh Steinberg and the Niners for their combined indiscretions.

• Time to vote: As a member of the 39-man Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee, I honestly can say the only lock for election this year is Dan Marino. I also like — among others — Harry Carson, Art Monk, Claude Humphrey and senior nominees Fritz Pollard and Benny Friedman.

While Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor was partying his way to greatness, Carson was the glue that held the New York Giants together. The board of selectors should open Canton's doors and let him in.

• Total frauds: The Indianapolis Colts. They are indomitable in a dome, but abominable in the snow.

• History lesson: The Eagles' only other Super Bowl season was 1980. They lost the big dance to Oakland, 27-10, on Jan. 25, 1981. The following season, the Bengals lost to the 49ers in Super Bowl XVI, 26-21, on Jan. 24, 1982, at the Pontiac (Mich.) Silverdome.

Now that the Eagles are back, it can only mean the Bengals will return next season for Super Bowl XL on Feb. 5, 2006, in — of all places — Detroit.

Dayton Daily News

[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' date='Jan 30 2005, 01:39 AM']• Ring of honor: One thing's for sure. An ex-Bengal will win a Super Bowl ring — either New England tailback Corey Dillon or the Philadelphia connection of quarterback Jeff Blake and tight end Jeff Thomason.

Thomason, 35, is the luckiest man on the planet. He was working as a project manager for a construction company in New Jersey when the Eagles called him out of retirement in the wake of Chad Lewis' foot injury in the NFC title game.

The Bengals signed Thomason as a non-drafted college free agent out of Oregon in '92. After two undistinguished seasons (4 catches, 22 yards), his career blossomed with Green Bay and Philadelphia.

Thomason played in two Super Bowls with the Packers when Eagles head coach Andy Reid was an assistant under Mike Holmgren, and he earned a Super Bowl ring (1996 season). Give it up to J.T. He's the man-bites-dog story of the week.

• Moss mess: Who died and made FOX sportscaster Joe Buck king of the airwaves? The Emmy Award-winner had no business abusing the Vikings' Randy Moss after Moss' fake moon in Green Bay.

All Moss did was poke a little fun at self-absorbed Packers fans by mocking their parking lot tradition. But Buck ruined the light-hearted moment, calling it "disgusting."

Buck was raised in a pristine environment in St. Louis, weaned by the bottle and blanket of his famous father, late Hall of Fame broadcaster Jack Buck. Until he walks a mile in Moss' shoes back in Rand, W.Va., Buck shouldn't throw stones from his glass house.

• Dead wrong: One of CBS' talking heads claimed during the AFC title game that the Patriots have all their key players "locked up" under contract. Not true.

Six key Patriots become unrestricted free agents this year, including kicker Adam Vinatieri and a pair of starters in left guard Joe Andruzzi and fullback Patrick Pass. The others are solid backups — strong safety Je'Rod Cherry, linebacker Don Davis and wide receiver David Patten.

• Ulterior motive: On the surface, Southern California Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart is a prince in gym shoes, saying he'll forego the NFL's riches and return to the Trojans for his senior year in an attempt to win another Heisman and national championship.

You can't help but wonder if his decision would have been different had USC's roster not been loaded with talent and the dreaded 49ers not held the No. 1 draft pick. Digging below the surface, Leinart has some selfishness in him. Barring an unforeseen injury, he KNOWS he'll succeed with the Trojans in '05 and be a high draft pick in '06. And he doesn't want to play for the 49ers. He values his health too much.

• Sacred cow: If I'm Hall of Famer Steve Largent, no way do I let future Hall of Famer Jerry Rice wear my uniform No. 80 for the Seahawks. That number is sacred in Seattle. What's more, it was retired. But the classy Largent relented, giving Rice the go-ahead.

Shane Matthews would've loved to have worn No. 9 in Washington in 2002, but permission was denied, and rightfully so, because No. 9 belongs to Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen.

No 49er has worn No. 80 since Rice split after the 2000 season. Someday, a player's gonna want to bring it out of moth balls. Think he'll ever get Rice's permission? Don't count on it.

• Rush to judgment: We haven't heard Rush Limbaugh's name in awhile, but I got a funny feeling we'll hear it soon.

Limbaugh resigned in the wake of a controversy he created in 2003 on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown when he said the media has overrated the Eagles' Donovan McNabb because they want to see a black quarterback succeed.

Overrated? McNabb is arguably the best, and most underrated, quarterback in the NFL. He works magic with, and without, great receivers. He keeps plays alive with his quick feet and supreme vision, then stops and fires lasers on the money. He's a great player and leader, two reasons why I'm rooting for him to get a ring.

• Not so fast: Former 49ers quarterback Steve Young is one of 15 finalists eligible for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but his election is far from a rubber stamp.

For all of Young's wondrous athleticism, let's not forget he played on a team that deliberately violated the salary cap. Violations involving the contracts of Young, Brent Jones, Lee Woodall and Jim Druckenmiller led to a December 2000 settlement in which the NFL fined 49ers executives Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark $400,000 and $200,000, respectively, and stripped the team of a fifth-round draft pick in 2001.

Young was Houdini on the field, but the league sacked him, agent Leigh Steinberg and the Niners for their combined indiscretions.

• Time to vote: As a member of the 39-man Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee, I honestly can say the only lock for election this year is Dan Marino. I also like — among others — Harry Carson, Art Monk, Claude Humphrey and senior nominees Fritz Pollard and Benny Friedman.

While Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor was partying his way to greatness, Carson was the glue that held the New York Giants together. The board of selectors should open Canton's doors and let him in.

• Total frauds: The Indianapolis Colts. They are indomitable in a dome, but abominable in the snow.

• History lesson: The Eagles' only other Super Bowl season was 1980. They lost the big dance to Oakland, 27-10, on Jan. 25, 1981. The following season, the Bengals lost to the 49ers in Super Bowl XVI, 26-21, on Jan. 24, 1982, at the Pontiac (Mich.) Silverdome.

Now that the Eagles are back, it can only mean the Bengals will return next season for Super Bowl XL on Feb. 5, 2006, in — of all places — Detroit.

Dayton Daily News
[right][post="40781"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i didint read any of that, so im just going to respond to the title and hope it makes sense.

i would rather blake for sure, before '03 blakes' "shake n blake" days of going 8-8 were the last glimmer of positive football in cincy since the playoff days.

and dollon is an asshole.

I found this to be interesting in a Twilight Zone sorta way....and I hope it comes to pass!
<<crosses fingers while sitting in the cross-legged "oooohhhhhhhmmmm" yoga position, with incense sticks smoking out of every orifice>>
:blink:

Guest CrazyIrishman5

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jan 30 2005, 02:57 AM']• History lesson: The Eagles' only other Super Bowl season was 1980. They lost the big dance to Oakland, 27-10, on Jan. 25, 1981. The following season, the Bengals lost to the 49ers in Super Bowl XVI, 26-21, on Jan. 24, 1982, at the Pontiac (Mich.) Silverdome.

I found this to be interesting in a Twilight Zone sorta way....and I hope it comes to pass!
<<crosses fingers while sitting in the cross-legged "oooohhhhhhhmmmm" yoga position, with incense sticks smoking out of every orifice>>
:blink:
[right][post="40790"][/post][/right][/quote]

What would be very freaky is if was against the 49ers! :blink:

That would be the last true sign that the Apocalypse was upon us... :D

I think I'd like Dillon to get a Super Bowl ring, so he could pawn it for $150 to buy crack when he's years removed from the game, nobody cares about him anymore and he's flat broke.
Hey, I can dream, can't I?
:P

Guest OSUBengal
[quote name='bengaldee' date='Jan 30 2005, 01:45 PM']I would rather see neither one get one, there both ass holes.Both can't get over cincinnati,all they want to do is talk them down.
[right][post="40869"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

what did blake ever do or say?

[quote name='OSUBengal' date='Jan 30 2005, 01:47 PM']what did blake ever do or say?
[right][post="40892"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

rofl im not even sure why we are comparing the two. blake is a worthless 3rd stringer that wont even be blessed with holding the ball on extra point attempts. dillon has done alot more for this team than blake could have dreamed of.

yeah he left ungracefully but im still rooting for him in this one. i hate the patriots but dillon was the highlight of this bengals team for many years (even though we had the 2-14 seasons), and during those years... i still drug my ass out of bed and went into public cheering for my bengals with pride.

good luck dillon and go pats.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' date='Jan 30 2005, 02:47 PM']rofl im not even sure why we are comparing the two. blake is a worthless 3rd stringer that wont even be blessed with holding the ball on extra point attempts. dillon has done alot more for this team than blake could have dreamed of.

yeah he left ungracefully but im still rooting for him in this one. i hate the patriots but dillon was the highlight of this bengals team for many years (even though we had the 2-14 seasons), and during those years... i still drug my ass out of bed and went into public cheering for my bengals with pride.

good luck dillon and go pats.
[right][post="40910"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

how many NON-losing seasons did dillon lead us to? (being hurt half the year dont count)

zero you say??

Dillon - 0

Blake - 1

game.set.match.

oh gee wizz thanks mr dillon for letting us watch you accomplish all of those personal goals and the shit in our faces when you got all the money you needed and wanted to be the big shot somewhere else.

screw cool dude..

creechnasty owns care bears.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jan 31 2005, 02:01 AM']how many NON-losing seasons did dillon lead us to? (being hurt half the year dont count)

zero you say??

Dillon - 0

Blake - 1
game.set.match.

oh gee wizz thanks mr dillon for letting us watch you accomplish all of those personal goals and the shit in our faces when you got all the money you needed and wanted to be the big shot somewhere else.

screw cool dude..

creechnasty owns care bears.
[right][post="41027"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

CARE BEARS!!!!!
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Nasty......I'd would have never guessed.

back to the topic.........

[b]GO EAGLES!.....PLEASE![/b]

Archived