What if the U.S. had Ocho Cinco?

[quote][size=3][b]What if the U.S. had Ocho Cinco?[/b][/size]
by: Jen Chang/ESPN Insider
posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2007

CINCINNATI, Ohio -- So I've had an interesting couple of days here in the Midwest where I'm in Cincinnati ostensibly to interview the Bengal's All-Pro wideout Chad Johnson (the interview will be up later this week). Johnson, better known as "Ocho Cinco" to his legion of fans, is a huge soccer fan, having played the game extensively during his youth.

Following last night's gloom and doom atmosphere in downtown following Florida's defeat of Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament -- the mood at Paul Brown Stadium today was decidedly lighter as I watched the Bengals wide receivers and defensive backs take part in conditioning drills.

I was trying to be inconspicuous, well as inconspicuous as one can be when you're the only non-athlete on a field filled with NFL players with a camera crew in tow, but the moment I broke out the official MLS ball I heard a loud excited voice.

"Soccer, soccer, soccer! Throw me the ball, hey, throw me the ball!" yelled a very animated and cheerful Chad Johnson. After I obliged, Johnson proceeded to juggle the ball with aplomb, showing very deft technical skill before carrying on with his drills. We'd hoped to capture his ball skills on tape but after two hours of practice he was too tired to comply, so you'll just have to take my word for it that he definitely has a high degree of skill.

As I watched the rest of the Bengals practice session, one couldn't help but wonder just how good the U.S. could be if some of its best athletes, guys like Chad Johnson and his NFL brethren, had taken up soccer. In that respect at least the U.S. would be on a level footing with other countries, all of whom have their best athletes playing the sport. Hopefully as the soccer landscape in this country continues to change in the next few years, soccer can coax a few more dynamic athletes away from the mainstream American sports of basketball and football.

If that ever does happen, and I'm not saying it'll happen any time soon, you might actually see a U.S. team one day that could seriously contend for the World Cup. A Chad Johnson-type athlete playing forward with a Brian Urlacher-type playing D-mid -- assuming they had the requisite skill to go along with their undoubted physical talents -- I think that would scare the hell out of a lot of other countries.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2824310&searchName=chang_jen"]Jen Chang's Blog[/url]

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='466646' date='Apr 3 2007, 10:21 PM']Following last night's gloom and doom atmosphere in downtown following Florida's defeat of Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament...[/quote]

I noticed absolutly ZERO "gloom and doom" around town last night after the Reds smoked the Cubs and the Gators beat OSU.

Why do people think we're all Buckeye fans just because we live in the state?

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='466669' date='Apr 3 2007, 11:01 PM']I noticed absolutly ZERO "gloom and doom" around town last night after the Reds smoked the Cubs and the Gators beat OSU.

Why do people think we're all Buckeye fans just because we live in the state?[/quote]

Word, i was thinking the same thing! Fuck Ohio State!

chad could have probably developed into a quality striker, but the leap that this guy(?) is making is spectacularly large. it will take generations to develop this nation into a soccer powerhouse but i believe you are already beginning to see the development of such teams and quality players given the usa's 2002 world cup results and the rise of quality in the mls. with soccer becoming the second most participated sport in america (next to american football) once better developmental programs become available for these kids children such as chad will begin to excel in soccer instead of more traditional american sports. athletes like chad are on the next level of ability but saying that he could have helped transform a sport in this country is pretty preposterous. besides, american soccer has its own (future) chad johnson in [url="http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t107&player=altidore_j&playerId=alt305981&statType=current"]josmer altidore[/url]

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='466664' date='Apr 3 2007, 10:59 PM'][color="#000000"]这样您会在易趣上出现新的相符物品时收到电子邮件通知。[/color]:contract:[/quote]

:blink: :blink:

[b]What in the fuck does this mean? I don't read or speak Mandarin. :rant: [/b]

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='466753' date='Apr 4 2007, 09:40 AM'][url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2824310&searchName=chang_jen"]Jen Chang's Blog[/url]

Soccer...... :gayfight2:[/quote]

I'll bet there are more gays in the NFL than playing MLS soccer... :onoudidnt:

[quote]If that ever does happen, and I'm not saying it'll happen any time soon, you might actually see a U.S. team one day that could seriously contend for the World Cup[/quote]

We already do.......our Women's NT will be one of 2-3 favorites in the 2008 Women's World Cup in China. :wave:

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='466680' date='Apr 3 2007, 11:32 PM']chad could have probably developed into a quality striker, but the leap that this guy(?) is making is spectacularly large. it will take generations to develop this nation into a soccer powerhouse but i believe you are already beginning to see the development of such teams and quality players given the usa's 2002 world cup results and the rise of quality in the mls. with soccer becoming the second most participated sport in america (next to american football) once better developmental programs become available for these kids children such as chad will begin to excel in soccer instead of more traditional american sports. athletes like chad are on the next level of ability but saying that he could have helped transform a sport in this country is pretty preposterous. besides, american soccer has its own (future) chad johnson in [url="http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t107&player=altidore_j&playerId=alt305981&statType=current"]josmer altidore[/url][/quote]

Greg Oden at Goalie!

Guest PakMan

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='466776' date='Apr 4 2007, 11:10 AM']maybe maybe not
There are more sissies in soccer with all the faking injuries and bull shit. You can't defend that. :0stfu: :gayflag:[/quote]
While the diving is out of control in soccer, its no different than flopping in basketball and probably happens less. And the equalizing rule in soccer is that you get carded if you dive in the box...GREAT RULE!

[quote name='PakMan' post='466781' date='Apr 4 2007, 10:24 AM']While the diving is out of control in soccer, its no different than flopping in basketball and probably happens less. And the equalizing rule in soccer is that you get carded if you dive in the box...GREAT RULE![/quote]
OK
Soccer = :gayfight2:

Basketball = not :gayfight2:

This is America.................. :pissing: soccer

:hijack:

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='466755' date='Apr 4 2007, 09:46 AM']:blink: :blink:

[b]What in the fuck does this mean? I don't read or speak Mandarin. :rant: [/b][/quote]

Allow me to translate as Rumble was speaking in his native tounge.....

[img]http://www.chordie.com/wikibilder/en/thumb/c/c4/Borat_happy_time.jpg/300px-Borat_happy_time.jpg[/img]

[size=4]"In Kazakhstan we say man who who plays the football, like to make sexy time with other men."[/size]

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='466787' date='Apr 4 2007, 11:42 AM']OK
This is America.................. :pissing: soccer
:hijack:[/quote]

How about those pussy ass football players wearing pads..

I doubt you no shit about soccer...nor have you ever played.

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='JC' post='467007' date='Apr 4 2007, 06:50 PM']How about those pussy ass football players wearing pads..
I doubt you no shit about soccer...nor have you ever played.[/quote]

I don't know shit about soccer, and I've never played.

Cause it's a sissie sport.

:ninja:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='466975' date='Apr 4 2007, 04:32 PM']Allow me to translate as Rumble was speaking in his native tounge.....
[img]http://www.chordie.com/wikibilder/en/thumb/c/c4/Borat_happy_time.jpg/300px-Borat_happy_time.jpg[/img]

[size=4]"In Kazakhstan we say man who who plays the football, like to make sexy time with other men."[/size][/quote]

[img]http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/borat/sacha_baron_cohen/boratcannes2.jpg[/img] [size=4][b]how you say, it's sexy time.[/b][/size]

[img]http://www.webgeordie.co.uk/borat/images/winetaste03.jpg[/img]

"This is my sister,You will like her very much. She wants to move to U, S and A"

[img]http://www.webgeordie.co.uk/borat/images/winetaste04.jpg[/img]

"She is beautiful, she would like you very much"

[img]http://www.webgeordie.co.uk/borat/images/winetaste05.jpg[/img]

"We make a joke! We pretend to be husband and wife!"

[img]http://www.webgeordie.co.uk/borat/images/winetaste06.jpg[/img]

"She is crazy fun. You'd like to meet her!"

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='466776' date='Apr 4 2007, 11:10 AM']maybe maybe not
There are more sissies in soccer with all the faking injuries and bull shit. You can't defend that. :0stfu: :gayflag:[/quote]there has never been an openly gay mls player, yet there have been several exmarines. basketball, on the other hand has john ameachi and his teammates/boyfriends.

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='466787' date='Apr 4 2007, 11:42 AM']OK
This is America.................. :pissing: soccer[/quote]wow, you are some kind of moron. the mls has about a quarter of the diving of professional basketball. not to mention that americas national pastime, baseball, is an entirely non-contact sport.

anyways, this is all neither here nor there and only proves that you are a moron, however, feel free to carry on.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='466680' date='Apr 3 2007, 11:32 PM']chad could have probably developed into a quality striker...[/quote]

I would tend to disagree because on the gridiron, Chad does not seem willing to [b]fight[/b] for the ball (like Randy Moss)...a trait that I believe the top strikers must possess.

As for the "no, [u]your[/u] sport is sissy" tiff...... gee guys, grow up already.

Guest Tigris
soccer is more popular over the world because it's cheap to play. what do you need, seriously? a ball (it doesnt even have to be a "soccer" ball. you could play with a ball of tape if you really wanted) and a couple sticks coming out from the ground on each side of "the field" (probably a dusty field or gravel parking lot in a lot of places). easy rules too. "don't use your hands. put this ball in between those sticks"

i played soccer for years growing up. i even played my freshman year in HS, but then switched over to football. it's okay to play, i had a lot of fun... but nothing will ever compare to football, in my opinion.

and maybe im wrong on the soccer thing being so popular. that's just what i think until someone convinces me to think otherwise about the situation.

Ok, first off, this is a football board (meaning of course football as US citizens think of it), so of course "futball" (referred to as soccer for the remainder of this post) players are not going to generate the same amount of respect we feel for football players.

However, soccer is growing in the US. I hated the sport growing up, but my brother is a huge soccer fan/player. He's actually on the verge of getting a scholarship for it. He played football his freshman year of HS, and while he did extremely well, he prefers soccer. And no, he is not in the least bit gay, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think basketball players are the biggest sissies of any professional sport out there, but that's my opinion. However, my brother disagrees with me on this, stating that a hangnail can indeed affect your game. I still stand by my opinion that basketball players are pussies (well the majority of them at least seem to be), soccer players take less of a beating than football players yet have better stamina, and football is the best spectator sport ever invented. Baseball is out, as I can't stand to watch more than one inning at a time.

However, the idea that men now playing for the NFL would make a great MLS team, is laughable to me. I don't think NFL players have what it takes to play a full game of soccer, the same way soccer players couldn't make it through four quarters of football. Neither is conditioned for the other. JMO.

Have a great day, yall.

Oh, and GO BENGALS!!!

[quote name='calibengalfan' post='467075' date='Apr 4 2007, 10:50 PM']Ok, first off, this is a football board (meaning of course football as US citizens think of it), so of course "futball" (referred to as soccer for the remainder of this post) players are not going to generate the same amount of respect we feel for football players.

However, soccer is growing in the US. I hated the sport growing up, but my brother is a huge soccer fan/player. He's actually on the verge of getting a scholarship for it. He played football his freshman year of HS, and while he did extremely well, he prefers soccer. And no, he is not in the least bit gay, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think basketball players are the biggest sissies of any professional sport out there, but that's my opinion. However, my brother disagrees with me on this, stating that a hangnail can indeed affect your game. I still stand by my opinion that basketball players are pussies (well the majority of them at least seem to be), soccer players take less of a beating than football players yet have better stamina, and football is the best spectator sport ever invented. Baseball is out, as I can't stand to watch more than one inning at a time.

However, the idea that men now playing for the NFL would make a great MLS team, is laughable to me. I don't think NFL players have what it takes to play a full game of soccer, the same way soccer players couldn't make it through four quarters of football. Neither is conditioned for the other. JMO.

Have a great day, yall.

Oh, and GO BENGALS!!![/quote]

dude, where the fuck have you been man, i aint seen you in yrs. on this board :wave: good to see you posting again :)

Archived