Now that we'll have loads of draft picks in 2008...

Guest BlackJesus
[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Since we'll be picking 32nd ... I hope we use our gluttony of picks to trade up[/b][/size][/font] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img]

Considering the average age of our DTs, we probably should draft at least 1 first day DT in 2008, and at least 2 in the draft. And depending on what happens with Justin between now and then, and B-Rob's age, a DE probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

[quote name='Skilly McRailnob' post='480120' date='Apr 30 2007, 12:59 PM']how many picks?[/quote]
Lookin like 11. 7 standard + 4 compensatory. 1 of those will definitely be a 2nd 3rd rounder (for steinbach), don't know about the value for Kase, Stewart, Smith, Washington, et al. As we'll be low in round 1, I'd take that second 3rd + our 1st and get up into the top 10 if there is a can't miss prospect (Calvin Johnson type) there.

Not knowing for sure what our needs will be this time next year, I'll say Derrick Harvey DE Florida, Frank Okam DT Texas, Dan Connor OLB Penn State, Jonathan Goff LB Vanderbilt, or Martin Rucker TE Missouri.

Or, knowing the Bengals, Tom "Buddy" Elte, BPA, Somewhereville.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='Montecore' post='480129' date='Apr 30 2007, 01:15 PM']Not knowing for sure what our needs will be this time next year, I'll say Derrick Harvey DE Florida, Frank Okam DT Texas, Dan Connor OLB Penn State, Jonathan Goff LB Vanderbilt, or Martin Rucker TE Missouri.

Or, knowing the Bengals, Tom "Buddy" Elte, BPA, Somewhereville.[/quote]

Definitely Okam to keep an eye on.I'd say Chris Long of VA. as well.

Anyway here is a link for those interested in looking ahead to next years possible prospects.
[url="http://www.draftstock.com/site_main/content/view/35/39/"]http://www.draftstock.com/site_main/content/view/35/39/[/url]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='480128' date='Apr 30 2007, 12:09 PM']Lookin like 11. 7 standard + 4 compensatory. 1 of those will definitely be a 2nd 3rd rounder (for steinbach), don't know about the value for Kase, Stewart, Smith, Washington, et al. As we'll be low in round 1, I'd take that second 3rd + our 1st and get up into the top 10 if there is a can't miss prospect (Calvin Johnson type) there.[/quote]
You cant trade compensatory picks, and it would take a lot more than a late 3rd round pick to move from low in the 1st into the top 10.

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='480200' date='Apr 30 2007, 02:41 PM']You cant trade compensatory picks, and it would take a lot more than a late 3rd round pick to move from low in the 1st into the top 10.[/quote]
As we'd be getting a second 3rd rounder that would imply we have a 1st 3rd rounder which would be able to be traded. I know that compensatory picks are not able to be traded. I should have worded it more clearly - having that 2nd pick gives us the freedom to trade our designated initial 3rd rounder next year if we so chose.

If it took more than 1 of our 2 3rds, how much? A 2nd 4th, 6th, and 7th? We'll potentially have 2 picks in each of those rounds next year. If the right player was there do it as we'll have the slots to make it happen and still get your allotted 7-8 picks for filler. To me drafting 2 players in each the 5, 6, and 7 rounds doesn't make a lot of sense as some of those guys don't typically make the roster anyway. Doubling the group coming in would tend to lead to just that many more being PS'd right after you've drafted them. Use some of those lower round picks packaged together with a lower 1st and get a difference-maker if the player you covet is there.

Just a thought.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='480118' date='Apr 30 2007, 05:55 PM'][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Since we'll be picking 32nd ... I hope we use our gluttony of picks to trade up[/b][/size][/font] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img][/quote]
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I would expect a WR, DT, LB, and DE for certain. Safety will likely be on the list as well.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='480065' date='Apr 30 2007, 11:53 AM']...which prospects could be out there on our shopping list for the 2008 draft? Just curious![/quote]

Frank Okam, Red Bryant, Glenn Dorsey

James Laurenitis if Thurman/Pollack collapses

I'd also say a RT could be a possibility if Andrews leaves.

What I think we will do is take our 2nd to move up high in the 1st, use our two 3rd Rders to bolster depth, and then with a 4th, 5th, or 6th, move up or down in the 3rd or 4th. Then we'd get the role players with the 2 late Rd compensatories and the picks we didn't trade away.

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='480200' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:41 PM']You cant trade compensatory picks, and it would take a lot more than a late 3rd round pick to move from low in the 1st into the top 10.[/quote]

No but you can trade your own picks in that round

[quote name='schotzee' post='480134' date='Apr 30 2007, 12:22 PM']Definitely Okam to keep an eye on.I'd say Chris Long of VA. as well.

Anyway here is a link for those interested in looking ahead to next years possible prospects.
[url="http://www.draftstock.com/site_main/content/view/35/39/"]http://www.draftstock.com/site_main/content/view/35/39/[/url][/quote]
Big UVa fan here...Howie's son is great. He's got it all - size, quickness, intelligence, intensity, technique, and leadership skills. And he played in a small private high school, never redshirted, so you have to believe he hasn't reached his full potential yet.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='480128' date='Apr 30 2007, 10:09 AM']Lookin like 11. 7 standard + 4 compensatory. 1 of those will definitely be a 2nd 3rd rounder (for steinbach), don't know about the value for Kase, Stewart, Smith, Washington, et al.[/quote]

First of all, you can't get a compensatory pick above the 3rd round. Also, it's impossible to try and predict how many picks we'll have. It totally depends on how productive the players we lost are and how productive the players we signed are. Steinbach is the only player we lost who is sure to make an impact as a starter for another team. And what if he gets injured? If Stepanovich comes in and is our starting center, and Myers starts at DT for us like he did for denver last year, and what if we sign Hartwell and he starts and has a very good year? That's 3 starters signed by us. We won't get as many picks. The Patriots have Randy Moss, and didn't they get stallworth too? So Kelley Washington may not do much for them. Tony Stewart won't do much since the Raiders got the top TE in the draft. Anthony Wright won't play for the Giants. Who knows about Tory James or Kevin Kaesviharn, but I doubt they'll be full time starters-they may be a part of a nickel or dime package. Marcus Wilkins hasn't shown that he can play more than special teams.

Last year we lost a QB who threw for over 4,000 yards for Detroit and all we got was a 7th rounder, so who knows.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='480301' date='Apr 30 2007, 05:30 PM']Uhm Joe, he didnt say a 2nd rounder he said a 2nd 3rd rounder. ;)[/quote]

Yeah Pong! And it IS fairly realistic to project compensatory picks, assuming we maintain status quo right now.

While play counts, the formula is far more weighted towards actual differential of players signed and contract numbers.

That's already in the books. So while it's hard to say what Rd the picks will come in, we can fairly well guess how many. I'd say we can guess how many right now +/- 1 pick, and then with Rounds it's almost certain that we pickup a 3rd for Steinbach, and after that, we're virtually guaranteed a couple 7th Rders. So working from there, I'd say it looks like a 3rd, a 6th, and a 7th. 10 picks overall.

That's being conservative.

Indianapolis and San Fransisco both got compensatory 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths this year so it's not like what I'm suggesting is unheard of.

Hell, pissburgh got a 4th and 5th. And Baltimore did well too.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pull a 3 4 5. Especially because of the huge money thrown around this year.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='JoePong' post='480298' date='Apr 30 2007, 05:26 PM']First of all, you can't get a compensatory pick above the 3rd round. Also, it's impossible to try and predict how many picks we'll have. It totally depends on how productive the players we lost are and how productive the players we signed are. Steinbach is the only player we lost who is sure to make an impact as a starter for another team. And what if he gets injured? If Stepanovich comes in and is our starting center, and Myers starts at DT for us like he did for denver last year, and what if we sign Hartwell and he starts and has a very good year? That's 3 starters signed by us. We won't get as many picks. The Patriots have Randy Moss, and didn't they get stallworth too? So Kelley Washington may not do much for them. Tony Stewart won't do much since the Raiders got the top TE in the draft. Anthony Wright won't play for the Giants. Who knows about Tory James or Kevin Kaesviharn, but I doubt they'll be full time starters-they may be a part of a nickel or dime package. Marcus Wilkins hasn't shown that he can play more than special teams.

Last year we lost a QB who threw for over 4,000 yards for Detroit and all we got was a 7th rounder, so who knows.[/quote]

The compensatory picks are determined almost entirely by the salary, not based upon performance, though if the guy made the Pro Bowl, the pick would be bumped up a round. I've read a couple good articles that showed that every single pick awarded in round 3 fit into one salary level,, 4th rounders another range, etc. all the way down to round 7.

Also, guys who are cut do not count. Thus the Bengals wouldn't get compensation for Simmons signing with the Saints. We also won't be hurt in anyway by signing Hartwell since he was released. I'd have to double check but I think Stepanovich was also.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='480332' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:37 PM']Yeah Pong! And it IS fairly realistic to project compensatory picks, assuming we maintain status quo right now.

While play counts, the formula is far more weighted towards actual differential of players signed and contract numbers.

That's already in the books. So while it's hard to say what Rd the picks will come in, we can fairly well guess how many. I'd say we can guess how many right now +/- 1 pick, and then with Rounds it's almost certain that we pickup a 3rd for Steinbach, and after that, we're virtually guaranteed a couple 7th Rders. So working from there, I'd say it looks like a 3rd, a 6th, and a 7th. 10 picks overall.

That's being conservative.

Indianapolis and San Fransisco both got compensatory 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths this year so it's not like what I'm suggesting is unheard of.

Hell, pissburgh got a 4th and 5th. And Baltimore did well too.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pull a 3 4 5. Especially because of the huge money thrown around this year.[/quote]

Should of read this before I posted. You are exactly right. We are virtually guaranteed a 3rd rounder for Steinbach. I think just based on the sheer number of guys we have lost that signed decent contracts we are also pretty much guaranteed to get the maximum of 4 picks total. Unfortunately, three of the four will likely be 6th/7th rounders which in the grand scheme of things aren't worth much at all.

Still, with 4 first day picks, we should be able to really improve the team. With the offense in great shape long term and the past two drafts really shoring up the defensive backfield, we should be able to really concentrate on the front 7 on defense. My ideal draft next year would bring in a DT, a DE, an outside LB and a TE on the first day.

I'm pretty sure Stepanovich and Hartwell will count.

It's when YOU cut a guy and he gets signed that it doesn't count as a free agent lost. But it does count when you sign them.

Thus the reason I think we get 3 picks.

Steinbach, Kaesviharn, Smith, Washington, Wilkins, Stewart, and James

So let's say Hartwell, Myers, and Stepanovich counteract Wilkins, Stewart and James.
(Assuming Myers even makes the roster)

So a 3rd for Steinbach, a 6th for Kaesviharn, and 6th for Smith, and a 7th for Washington.

That's where Marvin is getting 11 from.

Guest Patmo
[quote name='maanster' post='479766' date='Apr 29 2007, 10:28 PM']Bengals bringing in LB Earl Everett as free agent

The Bengals will populate their offseason roster with around a dozen college free agents, players who were not among the 255 drafted Saturday and Sunday.

A source in Tallahassee, Fla., said tonight that former Florida linebacker Earl Everett is headed to Cincinnati to sign a rookie free agent contract with the Bengals.

Everett was projected at one time to be as high as a third-round pick. He is an inside linebacker who had 85 tackles last season for the Gators, in addition to a sack and six tackles for loss.[/quote]

Hell,we could field an all Samoan team in a year.I can see the D dominated by warriors with long hair flapping in the wind.

Guest OzBengal
[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='480422' date='Apr 30 2007, 07:57 PM']I'm pretty sure Stepanovich and Hartwell will count.[/quote]

Stepanovich won't count. Like Antonio Chatman last year he was a RFA that wasn't tendered. He counts as a RFA signing and not a UFA signing. For this reason we won't get one for Smith because he was also a RFA signing.

And I don't think players who are cut count either. Sam Adams was cut and we signed him and he didnt count. Hartwell won't either.

Lost: Steinbach, Kaesviharn, Washington, Wilkins, Stewart, James
Gained: Myers

5 picks

Guest happyrid
[quote name='Penn St. Bengal' post='480500' date='Apr 30 2007, 10:39 PM']Wasn't Hartwell cut by the Falcons? As a result, he wouldn't count in this case would he?[/quote]

I'm almost positive that that is the case.

Archived