Rock Elimination Finals: SKYNYRD defeats IRON MAIDEN

BENGALS666

Skynyrd vs Iron Maiden  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Skynyrd vs Iron Maiden

• Skynyrd
    • Iron Maiden

[quote name='Bunghole' post='515771' date='Jul 24 2007, 11:54 PM']I grew up loving Iron Maiden, but they are what they are...a talented, gimmicky band. Kinda like the Creeping Cruds....
:lol:[/quote]

Saw them in concert many years back.Don't remember much of it though.That had to be the most wasted I've ever been.

All members are allowed only 1 vote, correct :unsure:

[i]"Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers/And they've been known to pick a song or two." [/i] from [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_Alabama_%28song%29"]Sweet Home Albama.[/url]

[i]There is so much miss-conceptions with what this band was about. To some, they may appeared to been a bunch of hard-partying rednecks. Well, that could be true, but there is alot more to them.[/i] (check the link provided).

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b0/Skynyrd.jpg/615px-Skynyrd.jpg[/img]

Photo cover of their self-titled debut album.

For sopmething else to do, we could do a bracket elimination for one hit wonders, Children of the Sun vs Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo, Sniff and the Tears vs (that's all I could think of in the one minute I thought about it.) We could get a list together and then make up a bracket...

Maiden is the greatest heavy metal band of all time. The fact that they are still around has to impress. They're not as pretty as they used to be but neither are the stones.

I cannot believe that soundgarden made it this far. Hands down they suck. Their music is junk and has no tonal quality with the exception of vocals. He makes the band, otherwise they are shit.

[quote name='fritter' post='515883' date='Jul 25 2007, 09:42 AM']Maiden is the greatest heavy metal band of all time. The fact that they are still around has to impress. They're not as pretty as they used to be but neither are the stones.

I cannot believe that soundgarden made it this far. Hands down they suck. Their music is junk and has no tonal quality with the exception of vocals. He makes the band, otherwise they are shit.[/quote]

:lol:

no really :lol:

[quote name='fritter' post='515883' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:42 AM']Maiden is the greatest heavy metal band of all time. The fact that they are still around has to impress. They're not as pretty as they used to be but neither are the stones.

I cannot believe that soundgarden made it this far. Hands down they suck. Their music is junk and has no tonal quality with the exception of vocals. He makes the band, otherwise they are shit.[/quote]

Man, why did you wait until now to come forth with this information. SHIT!

[quote name='fritter' post='515883' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:42 AM']I cannot believe that soundgarden made it this far. Hands down they suck. Their music is junk and has no tonal quality[/quote]

Gotta revisit this one...
Please indulge us on the "tonal qualities" comment..
Do you even know what that means?

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='515980' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:18 PM']Gotta revisit this one...
Please indulge us on the "tonal qualities" comment..
Do you even know what that means?[/quote]

For the benefit of the doubt the only album I listened to was Badmotorfinger. I refused to acknowledge anything else because I couldnt stand the sound or "tonal quality". For example, listen to Jesus Christ Pose and tell me if you hear anything but dissonance. Thayil sounds like hes playing the guitar with two broken hands. Cornell kix ass as a singer, I highly respect him but the rest of the band as far as Im concerned is shit. You can say that "tonal quality" is in the eye of the beholder but I dont consider total dissonance tonal quality.

You have to admit Dickinson has a kick as voice as well. The whole band (Iron Maiden) is extremely talented. Murry and Smith have great melodies, especially when they harmonize (which they do all the time). Steve Harris is an excellent bassist, you wont see him using a pick regardless of the speed of the tune. And unlike alot of bassists who just hold a basic foundation he complements each song very well. His phrases are unique and well thought out. Nicko is a very good drummer as well. Not one of the best but you dont see very many heavy metal bands that use just a single bass drum. Granted he may use a double bass pedal, you wouldnt know it because he doesnt make it obvious.

Sorry guys but I grew up in the 80's (and still mostly stuck there) and regardless of whether you respect my opinion or not, its not going to change. To me, trash bands started emerging towards the end of the 80's and early 90's and I consider soundgarden one of them. Alot of bands I hated until I made a special effort to listen to them. They were the exception.

Now Audioslave rox. They have some killer tunes that makes Cornells voice really shine. btw- are they still around? What other band(s) help form audioslave- rage against the machine?

[quote name='fritter' post='516352' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:33 PM']For the benefit of the doubt the only album I listened to was Badmotorfinger. I refused to acknowledge anything else because I couldnt stand the sound or "tonal quality". For example, listen to Jesus Christ Pose and tell me if you hear anything but dissonance. Thayil sounds like hes playing the guitar with two broken hands. Cornell kix ass as a singer, I highly respect him but the rest of the band as far as Im concerned is shit. You can say that "tonal quality" is in the eye of the beholder but I dont consider total dissonance tonal quality.[/quote]

Well [i]tone[/i] is a term relating to the sound of an instrument (generally in relation to specific music gear -amps, guitars etc) while [i]dissonance[/i] is a term related to how or what is being played - dissonant chords, repetetive unresolving riffs etc. I would say both Soundgarden and Iron Maiden are bands that utilize great tone. Badmotorfinger is not my favorite SG record but it certainly does not lack tone.
In one post you say Soundgarden sucks hands-down then in another you say you basically never even listened to them.. Usually when someone spouts off about bands (or whatever) that they haven't really heard, seen so on that's called talkin' shit...

[quote name='fritter' post='516352' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:33 PM']You have to admit Dickinson has a kick as voice as well. The whole band (Iron Maiden) is extremely talented. Murry and Smith have great melodies, especially when they harmonize (which they do all the time). Steve Harris is an excellent bassist, you wont see him using a pick regardless of the speed of the tune. And unlike alot of bassists who just hold a basic foundation he complements each song very well. His phrases are unique and well thought out. Nicko is a very good drummer as well. Not one of the best but you dont see very many heavy metal bands that use just a single bass drum. Granted he may use a double bass pedal, you wouldnt know it because he doesnt make it obvious.[/quote]
Jeezus, yet another one blathering on about "talent". I've said it before - musical talent doesn't necessarily equal great music. Gimme great tunes, a great show and some decent sound. I don't give two farts how they got there... Sure, I like some old Maiden when I feel like doing a little headbanging but I don't care if Bruce Dickinson can sing opera or not. PS, I used to live in the same development in Fl with Niko. Cool guy - great golfer and local music supporter when he's not out on the road...

[quote name='fritter' post='516352' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:33 PM']Sorry guys but I grew up in the 80's (and still mostly stuck there) and regardless of whether you respect my opinion or not, its not going to change. To me, trash bands started emerging towards the end of the 80's and early 90's and I consider soundgarden one of them.[/quote] I grew up in the 80s myself and my opinion is that Rock took the nosedive around 2000...

[quote name='fritter' post='516352' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:33 PM']Alot of bands I hated until I made a special effort to listen to them.[/quote]
[size=3][b]LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE HAVE THE BEST and MOST HONEST STATEMENT OF ALL TIME.. Take note!!![/b][/size]

[quote name='fritter' post='516352' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:33 PM']Now Audioslave rox. They have some killer tunes that makes Cornells voice really shine. btw- are they still around? What other band(s) help form audioslave- rage against the machine?[/quote]
Audioslave just broke up... Maybe if you also gave some other Soundgarden[i] besides BMF[/i] a chance you'd see they were Cornell's best band...

Archived