Statistical Analysis of our team

I like to use footballoutsiders stats analysis to help shed light on how good our team really is... they factor in multiple things instead of just total yards, first downs, etc...

- We have a 2.4% chance of making the playoffs, 2.2% chance of winning a WC spot, 0% chance of getting a bye, and a .1% chance of winning the division....

- [b]OFFENSE[/b]
- Ranked 7th overall: 4th in the passing game, 23rd in the run game
- Yards per drive: 8th, Points/Drive: 8th, TDs/Dr: 11th, Punts per drive: 13th, Turnovers per drive: 15th, Ints/Drive: 19th, Fumbles per drive: 11th, LOS per drive: 16th, Drive success rate: 9th

- [b]DEFENSE[/b]
- Ranked 26th overall: 27th vs the pass, 26th vs the run
- Yards per drive: 29th, PTS/Dr: 31st, TDs/Dr: 31, Punts per drive: 32nd, TOs/Drive: 4th, INT?Dr: 9th, DSR: 28th

These stats truely show how terrible our defense is, and how we live and die by the turnover...

- 32nd in punt per drive... we never make the opposing team punt

- 31st in TDs allowed per drive

- 31st in points allowed per drive

- 29th in yards per drive

Terrible. And people think we can make a run to the playoffs??

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='593057' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:30 AM']These stats truely show how terrible our defense is, and how we live and die by the turnover...

Terrible. And people think we can make a run to the playoffs??[/quote]

What are you talking about? We have a 2.4% chance of making the playoffs. Push all in!!!!

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='593057' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:30 AM']These stats truely show how terrible our defense is, and how we live and die by the turnover...

[b]Terrible. And people think we can make a run to the playoffs??[/b][/quote]

We still have 3 games against teams with WORSE records than us. Another against a team with a losing record.

Chris Henry's return should help the offense tremendously, which should help offset the deficiency of the defense. In other words, we should be able to score more points, convert more 3rd downs, and keep the defense off the field longer, keeping them fresher. The defense isn't giving up points if they aren't on the field.

We also get to play 2 of the teams we are trying to catch.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='593067' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:42 AM']its better than hoping the team tanks the season, so that they can be the embarassment of the league.[/quote]

No one is hoping they tank the season (do people even read posts on this board?)

The hope is to begin to plan / prepare for next year by starting / playing younger guys and guys who will be around next year

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='593069' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:48 AM']I know ALL games count towards stats for the year but what would those offensive figures be like Without that Cleveland game?
The Offense may rank 7th oveall but they sure dont look like it ...[/quote]

The Baltimore game may have helped to offset many of those stats tho...

I thought our offense was pretty terrible as well, but I think our defense makes our offense look worse.

In terms of drive success rates and TDs per drive, it's pretty impressive

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='593069' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:48 AM']I know ALL games count towards stats for the year but what would those offensive figures be like Without that Cleveland game?
The Offense may rank 7th oveall but they sure dont look like it ...[/quote]

I checked that last week because I had brought the same question up to sneaky. We would still be 12th in offense (we were 8th or 9th at the time).

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='593071' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:51 AM']We still have 3 games against teams with WORSE records than us. Another against a team with a losing record.

Chris Henry's return should help the offense tremendously, which should help offset the deficiency of the defense. In other words, we should be able to score more points, convert more 3rd downs, and keep the defense off the field longer, keeping them fresher. The defense isn't giving up points if they aren't on the field.

We also get to play 2 of the teams we are trying to catch.[/quote]

So we'll finish 8 - 8 again?

Perfect.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='593072' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:51 AM']No one is hoping they tank the season (do people even read posts on this board?)

The hope is to begin to plan / prepare for next year by starting / playing younger guys and guys who will be around next year[/quote]

a direct quote from your thread claiming that "winning is bad" :crazy:

[quote]Now am I saying that we should bag the rest of the season and lose? Not really but[b] I wouldn't be opposed to the idea either.[/b][/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='593077' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:56 AM']a direct quote from your thread claiming that "winning is bad" :crazy:[/quote]

Now am I saying that we should bag the rest of the season and lose? [b]Not really [/b]but I wouldn't be [b]opposed to the idea [/b]either.

There... I bolded the correct parts for you.

In no where did i say, I HOPE THE BENGALS TANK THE SEASON AND LOSE EVERY GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='593081' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:01 AM']Now am I saying that we should bag the rest of the season and lose? [b]Not really [/b]but I wouldn't be [b]opposed to the idea [/b]either.

There... I bolded the correct parts for you.

In no where did i say, I HOPE THE BENGALS TANK THE SEASON AND LOSE EVERY GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

ooooooooook

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='593091' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:27 AM']I don't want the Bengals to tank the season, and I AM opposed to the idea, too.
I think most people here feel the same way, which is why your comment about "not being opposed to the idea" isn't flying too well.[/quote]

exactly. "I wouldn't say no" basically means yes. If that's not the way he meant it, fair enough, but the way its worded, it sounds like a yes.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='593093' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:30 AM']exactly. "I wouldn't say no" basically means yes. If that's not the way he meant it, fair enough, but the way its worded, it sounds like a yes.[/quote]

do we really need to break down my sentence? Do people actually care this much about what I typed after a game that much to go back and quote it and dissect my posts ?

Regardless:

Now am I saying that we should bag the rest of the season and lose? Not really but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea either.

"Now am I saying that we should bag the rest of the season and lose? Not really " : What I'm trying to say is should we bag the rest of the season and lose? Not really because I think we need to be playing guys who are not starters to see what they can do. That can be seen as bagging the season by not playing your starters, but I feel we need to know what we have going into next year on defense and if that means starting guys like Hall and Jo Jo, Ndukwe instead of Jackson, Rucker or Fananne instead of Robinson then I'm all for "bagging the season"

"I wouldn't be opposed to the idea either" - If Marvin came out today and said, "we're going to lose the rest of the games this season" or purposely sit carson and others, I wouldn't be opposed to that idea either. I'm not recommending that we do it, in fact I really hope we don't do it, but if that was the route the organization decided to take, i would stand behind it because I see more positivies than negatives to come from it from a organization stand point.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='593095' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:38 AM']"I wouldn't be opposed to the idea either" - If Marvin came out today and said, "we're going to lose the rest of the games this season" or purposely sit carson and others, I wouldn't be opposed to that idea either. I'm not recommending that we do it, in fact I really hope we don't do it, but if that was the route the organization decided to take, i would stand behind it because I see more positivies than negatives to come from it from a organization stand point.[/quote]
Hence the problem.
If Marvin decided to do that anytime outside of the second half of a blowout game, I'd be first in line demanding he is removed.
[i]"You play to win the game"[/i] - best line I've heard a coach say in a LONG time.

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='593096' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:43 AM']Hence the problem.
If Marvin decided to do that anytime outside of the second half of a blowout game, I'd be first in line demanding he is removed.
[i]"You play to win the game"[/i] - best line I've heard a coach say in a LONG time.[/quote]

pretty much sums it up.

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='593096' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:43 AM']Hence the problem.
[i]"You play to win the game"[/i] - best line I've heard a coach say in a LONG time.[/quote]

paraphrasing another coaches line:

"Playoffs?!?!? PLAYOFFS? You want to talk about Playoffs?!?!? I'm more concerned about winning any more games than the PLAYOFFS!"

... Not exact quote, but going off of memory

[quote name='SF2' post='593064' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:40 AM']What are you talking about? We have a 2.4% chance of making the playoffs. Push all in!!!![/quote]

So you're saying we have a chance!
[img]http://www.moviepublicity.com/image_assets/dumbdumber_02.jpg[/img]
:lol:

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='593101' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:57 AM']paraphrasing another coaches line:

"Playoffs?!?!? PLAYOFFS? You want to talk about Playoffs?!?!? I'm more concerned about winning any more games than the PLAYOFFS!"

... Not exact quote, but going off of memory[/quote]
The difference is that you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth. More wasn't "tanking" games when he said that - he was just frustrated with the team. He never said "I'm not going to win any more games - we're not even gonna try!"

I don't see how you can say that you hope the Bengals make the playoffs in one breath and then suggest that you'd support them tanking the season in the next and not see a problem.

If it came down to week 17, and Miami and Cincinnati both had the worst records with 3 wins, I'd want Cincinnati to win the game even though it means losing the #1 pick. I'd rather the Bengals win 5 games rather than 4, 6 games rather than 5, 7 games rather than 6, 8 games rather than 7, 9 games rather than 8, 10 games rather than 9. I don't care about the draft position at this point - I want as many wins as possible!

Archived