Anderson: Sunday last home game?

[quote name='Jeb' post='612361' date='Dec 21 2007, 07:32 PM']Isn't it amazing? All these guys will be screaming bloody murder next year because Willie is gone and we haven't prepared a backup.

The reason Willie didn't play till now is because Marvin wants to give Stacey the playing time for further evaluation. As it turns out, Stacey needs work on the run blocking but he's gotten good at the passing game. Stacey is a slow learner. Stacey won't be ready next year and by the time the coaches figure that out then they'll have to start all over with Whitworth in that spot.

How many games will we lose next season because we keep up the shuffling game? ...and what about the center spot, ...don't we need to address that too?

Trading Willie is a huge mistake everyone will live to regret! (mark these words down)[/quote]

Short of injury, I doubt we slide Whit over to RT unless he starts the season that way.. I could be wrong, but if the coaches decide Stacey is the man, I would predict they stick with him while he gets snaps.. So long as he isn't getting Carson killed, which you already stated was the stronger part of his game.

[quote name='Lucid' post='612380' date='Dec 21 2007, 08:10 PM']Short of injury, I doubt we slide Whit over to RT unless he starts the season that way.. I could be wrong, but if the coaches decide Stacey is the man, I would predict they stick with him while he gets snaps.. So long as he isn't getting Carson killed, which you already stated was the stronger part of his game.[/quote]

Why is Willie starting this game? Its because the coaches know he'll help them win it. Stacey is still a project.

[quote name='Jeb' post='612385' date='Dec 21 2007, 08:15 PM']Why is Willie starting this game? Its because the coaches know he'll help them win it. [b]Stacey is still a project.[/b][/quote]

Then he won't be the starting RT next year.. This year, Willie is.

Like I said, if they decide Stacey is the man, I wouldn't expect them to pull him unless he is getting CP killed.

[quote name='Lucid' post='612390' date='Dec 21 2007, 08:25 PM']Then he won't be the starting RT next year.. This year, Willie is.

Like I said, if they decide Stacey is the man, I wouldn't expect them to pull him unless he is getting CP killed.[/quote]

Then we will lose games and Marvin can't afford that next year. His job really will be on the line then and we will need a running game to win enough games to compete for the division which leads me back to my original declaration. We can't lose Willie at such an integral point. We need him to help us build our future.

there's something to rewarding people that have started 98.8 percent of their games, that's how you build loyalty and respect for the franchise. especially when that person has been so dominate for so many years. think of the young kids on this team and their take , football is a physically devestating sport. these are peoples lives we are dealing with. if there's one thing i can say about the problem children that have been on this team its that the those at the helm certainly do care about the player's quality of life after this game ends, so they have been in good hands. I have met mike brown on numerous occasions in personal settings and he cares about the atheletes that come through his organization. i was always polite, that doesn't mean that i think he could grab his ass with both hands when it came to football operations,necessarily, but in reality (i stress REALITY) he is a good man. he wouldn't have hired marvin if he wasn't of the same ilk, i guarantee that. as for willie i appreciate the time he's spent here and maybe it's time for him to go.

as a side note from that sappy shit stacey hasn't played football for too long, maybe six years, so there's going to be a learning curve.

[quote name='TrustNMarvin' post='612462' date='Dec 22 2007, 01:39 AM'][b]there's something to rewarding people that have started 98.8 percent of their games, that's how you build loyalty and respect to the franchise.[/b] especially when that person has been so dominate for so many years. think of the young kids on this team and thier take , football is a physically devestating sport. these are peoples lives we are dealing with. if there's one thing i can say about the problem children that have been on this team its that the those at the helm certainly do care about the players quality of life after this game ends, so they have been in good hands. I have met mike brown on numerous occasions in personal settings and he cares about the athletes that come through his organizition. i was always polite, that didn't mean that i thought he could grab his ass with both hands when it came to football operations, but in reality (i stress REALITY) he is a good man. he wouldn't have hired marvin if he wasn't of the same ilk, i guarantee that.[/quote]

there is also mortgaging the future to overpay previous players. I think the respect has to go both ways, if you as a player connot fulfill your obligation, you should discontinue HURTING the team and franchise both financially and with a taken wasted roster spot. willie has done great things here. but they are done. he has been paid HANDSOMELY, and wont be hurting nor will his great great grandkids. its been a somewhat quick and obvious deterioration in performance. missing a few series, then afew qtrs, then afew games, to being rendered all but out for the year, hmm, maybe he can come back for 2 pointless games, and shake up the line ...AGAIN...

i refuse to agree that a player should still be getting paid when they cannot hold up their end of the transaction. If willie cant make camp at 10000% healthy, there is no reason he should optain a roster spot after the first cuts are made. we need health, depth and stability upfront, and I have doubts thats something he can contribute at this stage in his career.

Anyone worth talking to has some level of respect for the way mike browns runs such a large and attractive business/organization. Same goes for hiring marvin and opening up some freedom to him and the others in charge. got a long way to go tho, but we are headed in the right direction.

I hate to see Willie go, but if he can't play at a consistent high level anymore then go he must. I would have liked to see the Bengals flop Whit and Andrews. Whit played left tackle and he is huge. He might be a good fit at right tackle. Also Andrews does have some insane speed for a big man. I imagine he could pull and just bulldoze some LBs. I don't recall if we've had Whit in at right tackle or how he did, but he seems like a natural fit.

^_^ ... I have loved what Willie Anderson has ment too this team over the years. But I said it then and I will say it now. They should have NEVER signed him to a Huge 5year deal. As we all know he has had knee problems and was getting up in age. These things don`t get better with age on guys that weigh 340lbs. They should have signed Stieny and tryed to work out something with Willie on a shorter term... IMHO

[quote][size=5][b]Anderson says he's ready to play Sunday [/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

Willie Anderson has been around the NFL long enough to never say never. The Bengals right tackle doesn't know if Sunday's game against Cleveland will be his last home game with the franchise that drafted him in the first round in 1996, but if it is he wants to be in uniform and playing in it.

Anderson practiced for the third straight day Friday in preparation for the Browns and declared himself ready to play, something he hasn't done since starting on Oct. 21 against the New York Jets.

A heel injury in the preseason and a sprained knee, coupled with a bone bruise, suffered at Seattle on Sept. 23 have limited Anderson's playing time all season. He has missed nine of the last 10 games, with Stacy Andrews having started in his place.

The Bengals official injury report listed Anderson as questionable to play, meaning he is given a 50-50 chance of playing. There is no doubt in Anderson's mind that he will play against the Browns.

"You definitely want to go out with a win," Anderson said. "It could be (my last home game). You never know. I want to play and let things take care of (themselves). I look at it as a business. I've been here a long time. I've seen a lot of things. I tell my family and friends, though, 'don't look over and say that will never happen.' It happens to the best of them."

Anderson is completing the first year of a five-year extension worth $32 million.

Anderson had been named to the AFC Pro Bowl team each of the last four seasons and had been on the Associated Press' All-Pro team the last three seasons.

This week is the first time since early in the season that he has participated fully in practice three days in a row.

"It's important, in order for us to work him in, obviously he's not in the condition to play, but we'll see how our numbers (of players) work out," said head coach Marvin Lewis after practice. "We're not going to (just) throw him in there. ... It could be all of our last home games. I'm not going to worry about that. None of us are promised tomorrow."

Speaking to reporters on Dec. 12, Anderson said he felt ready to return to action earlier this month but that any return had to be left to the discretion and judgment of the coaching and medical staffs. He fully plans on playing somewhere next season, a point he reiterated Friday.

"Whoever needs to know, wherever, I'm playing. I've been practicing every day this week," said Anderson. "I could have been doing this against pissburgh."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071222/SPT03/712220361/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...61/1022/RSS0302[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals notebook: Anderson's return may be a short one in Cincinnati[/b][/size]
Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:48 AM
By Scott Priestle

The Columbus Dispatch

CINCINNATI -- After spending the past two months trying to prove himself worthy, veteran Bengals tackle Willie Anderson will return to the field Sunday for the final home game of the season, perhaps his final game in Paul Brown Stadium in a Cincinnati uniform.

"Everybody plays on Senior Day," he said with a smile.

Gallows humor aside, Anderson has been itching for a chance to show he remains a productive player. He was selected to the Pro Bowl each of the previous four seasons, but he has missed the past eight games and nine of 10 because of foot and knee injuries. He said he wants to "show whoever needs me" that he is healthy enough to start. "Wherever, whenever," he said.

It might mean leaving Cincinnati, where he has played since entering the NFL in 1996. As a veteran with a rich contract, coming off an injury-plagued season in which a younger replacement emerged, Anderson seems a likely candidate to be released in the off-season, assuming the Bengals can re-sign free-agent-to-be Stacy Andrews.

Running back Rudi Johnson is in the same boat. He has been slowed by a hamstring injury since the third week of the season and will not play Sunday, giving Kenny Watson and DeDe Dorsey another chance to prove they can do the job. Johnson declined to comment the past two days.

Anderson was happy to dress for practice yesterday, knowing he would be in uniform Sunday. He hoped to play in recent weeks, but team officials held him out.

"When it's possibly the last game of your career here, that definitely means something," he said. "You definitely want to go out with a win. You want to go out playing well. None of us know what next year brings. We don't know who all will be here. Things change, and this team will be no different."

[size=3][b]Jeanty returns to lineup[/b][/size]
Linebacker Rashad Jeanty returned to practice this week, after being inactive last week because of a knee injury. Coincidental or not, the defense played its best in the five games Jeanty started.

He was slowed early in the season by a leg injury but joined the starting lineup Nov. 11 against Baltimore, and during the next five games the Bengals allowed an average of 270 yards per game and a quarterback rating of 73.5 -- their best five-game stretch since 2001.

"It's not about me," Jeanty said. "It's about all of us playing together and playing for one another. If you do that, good things will happen."

Having Jeanty in the lineup should help, though. He plays a significant role in the run defense, and he has impressed the coaching staff in his short NFL career. He played three seasons in Canada, so he is experienced beyond his 24 years and two NFL seasons.

"He's very serious," coach Marvin Lewis said. "He knows the NFL is where you want to be and that you have to work very hard to stay here. He's very appreciative of that opportunity and makes good on that, day in, day out."

spriestle@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/bengals/stories/2007/12/22/bengals1222.ART2_ART_12-22-07_C9_EB8RRBO.html"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/benga...C9_EB8RRBO.html[/url]

[quote name='Dr. Johnny Fever' post='612489' date='Dec 22 2007, 03:15 AM']I hate to see Willie go, but if he can't play at a consistent high level anymore then go he must. I would have liked to see the Bengals flop Whit and Andrews. Whit played left tackle and he is huge. He might be a good fit at right tackle. Also Andrews does have some insane speed for a big man. I imagine he could pull and just bulldoze some LBs. I don't recall if we've had Whit in at right tackle or how he did, but he seems like a natural fit.[/quote]

i agree 100% i don't think whit has the speed to play LG in our O, maybe RG but bobbie is just fine there, switching andrews and whit would do wonders for our line next year, but it won't make but a marginal diffrence if we don't get better center play

I wonder which team he'll end up playing out his career? He's not retiring and he's soured on us now. I'd say the Tuna will pick him up to help build Miami's O-line for the future. An all pro veteran RT who can play and help develop the replacement doesn't get any better of a deal for a struggling team. Its a good thing we aren't struggling anymore!

:wave: ...Superbowl!

Marvin, ... :sterb041: , ...what are you thinking?

[quote name='Jeb' post='612543' date='Dec 22 2007, 12:08 PM']I wonder which team he'll end up playing out his career? He's not retiring and he's soured on us now. I'd say the Tuna will pick him up to help build Miami's O-line for the future. An all pro veteran RT who can play and help develop the replacement doesn't get any better of a deal for a struggling team. Its a good thing we aren't struggling anymore!

:wave: ...Superbowl![/quote]

Isnt his main offices for his Fatburgers restaurants in Atlanta?
Isnt like they dont need Olinemen down there...

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='612544' date='Dec 22 2007, 12:10 PM']Isnt his main offices for his Fatburgers restaurants in Atlanta?
Isnt like they dont need Olinemen down there...[/quote]

:lol: ...yeah but the Tuna isn't done screwing with Blank just one more time, ...for a laugh!

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='612536' date='Dec 22 2007, 11:43 AM']i agree 100% i don't think whit has the speed to play LG in our O, maybe RG but bobbie is just fine there, switching andrews and whit would do wonders for our line next year, but it won't make but a marginal diffrence if we don't get better center play[/quote]

the problem is we didn't adjust our O to fit our personnel.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='612552' date='Dec 22 2007, 12:18 PM']the problem is we didn't adjust our O to fit our personnel.[/quote]

True and I've blamed Paul Alexander on the debacle that was last season. Its just getting worse under his care.

[quote name='Jeb' post='612558' date='Dec 22 2007, 12:36 PM']True and I've blamed Paul Alexander on the debacle that was last season. Its just getting worse under his care.[/quote]

disagree, Paul is one of our best coaches. It's brat's responsibility to make gameplans that fit the personnel, not Paul's. All Paul can do is teach them. The rest is up to Brat on how to use them.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='612559' date='Dec 22 2007, 12:38 PM']disagree, Paul is one of our best coaches. It's brat's responsibility to make gameplans that fit the personnel, not Paul's. All Paul can do is teach them. The rest is up to Brat on how to use them.[/quote]

Face it. A lot of our coaches aren't giving us their best or their best isn't good enough to cut it anymore. It was horrendous that we had no replacement at least partially coached-up when Rich Braham went down. That was unforgiveable.

[quote name='Jeb' post='612563' date='Dec 22 2007, 12:55 PM']Face it. A lot of our coaches aren't giving us their best or their best isn't good enough to cut it anymore. It was horrendous that we had no replacement at least partially coached-up when Rich Braham went down. That was unforgiveable.[/quote]

They thought they did in Bluto, and that still may be true. Let's let the line get used to playing with each other before we think about throwing one of our more respected coaches under the bus. The current unit has only played 10 games together, and even then it hasn't been 10 full games. You can't just put 5 guys on the line and expect them to be cohesive right away.

Archived