Reds going after A's Blanton?

Jason

[quote][b][size=3]Reds talking to A's[/size]
Oakland seeking top prospects[/b]
BY JOHN FAY AND PAUL DAUGHERTY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM AND PDAUGHERTY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds still hope to add an established starting pitcher before spring training begins next week. To that end, they are talking to the Oakland A's about obtaining right-hander Joe Blanton.
That doesn't mean a deal is imminent. [b]The A's [/b]- as the Baltimore Orioles did in talks about pitcher Erik Bedard - [b]are asking for a package that includes at least [i][u]two[/u][/i] of the Reds' top prospects.[/b]
Cincinnati won't consider trading Jay Bruce. Other top prospects include Homer Bailey, Joey Votto and Johnny Cueto.
General manager Wayne Krivsky on Thursday would not comment specifically on Blanton. He did not rule out a trade before camp starts.
"You're always looking to improve," he said. "That never stops. We'll improve the team any way we can."
Blanton, 27, was 14-10 with a 3.95 ERA last year. He's 42-34 with a 4.10 ERA in his career. He has averaged 208 innings over the last three seasons.
The Reds' starting rotation beyond Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo is somewhat in flux.
Matt Belisle is penciled in at the third spot. He was 8-9 with a 5.32 ERA last year.
Right-handers Bailey, Cueto and Edinson Volquez and left-handers Jeremy Affeldt and Matt Maloney will compete for the final two spots if a trade isn't made.
Blanton attended the University of Kentucky. He'll make $3.8 million this year and won't be a free agent until 2011.
Blanton had a 2.69 ERA at Oakland's McAfee Coliseum last season, 5.11 on the road.[/quote]

[b]NO![/b] You only mortgage the future for the now in July when you are in the heat of a pennant race. You don't do it in February before you even know if you'll be any good.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='630956' date='Feb 8 2008, 09:22 AM']depends on who they move... but blanton is a very good starter, and we could use one... how old is he?[/quote]

27. But do you want to give up 2 of our top prospects to get him? Especially when both of our pitching prospects have the potential to be better? And Bailey could be a LOT better.

[quote name='Jason' post='630963' date='Feb 8 2008, 09:34 AM']27. But do you want to give up 2 of our top prospects to get him? Especially when both of our pitching prospects have the potential to be better? And Bailey could be a LOT better.[/quote]

to me, blanton is good enough to let go of one of our stud pitching prospects, but not both. It would have to be a top position player as the second prospect...

potential to me is a dirty word. last off season, homer was an untouchable... then he comes to the majors and does OK, and now he isn't anymore... he has the potential to be great, but blanton is already pretty damn good...

starting pitching is so hard to come by that i'd definately think about it... Blanton is in his prime at 27.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='630965' date='Feb 8 2008, 09:43 AM']to me, blanton is good enough to let go of one of our stud pitching prospects, but not both. It would have to be a top position player as the second prospect...

potential to me is a dirty word. last off season, homer was an untouchable... then he comes to the majors and does OK, and now he isn't anymore... he has the potential to be great, but blanton is already pretty damn good...

starting pitching is so hard to come by that i'd definately think about it... Blanton is in his prime at 27.[/quote]

Maybe so, but I am not giving up 2 Top 100 prospects for him. Particularly if one of them is a Top 10. I might consider Votto [b]or[/b] Cueto and [b]another[/b] prospect (not named Bruce or Bailey) for him. But [b]not[/b] both. Again, if this were July and we were in, or within a couple games of first, that's a different story. But not in February.

On ESPN just now one of the baseball analyst (cant remember his name) said the Reds are the most aggressive team and that oakland is rebuilding and would settle for a package of low A ball players in return for Blanton. If oakland has backed off the demand for 2 top prospects and would settle for this how do u not make this deal before someone else does?

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='632882' date='Feb 17 2008, 04:10 AM']Own, the mere fact that I have been agreeing with you a lot here lately is frankly scaring the fuck out of me. Keep it up though, I like not arguing with you. ;)[/quote]

Own catches alot of shit around here, but more times than not, i agree w/ his perspective...

Joe Blanton's career ERA away from McAfee Coliseum (Oakland's home park) is 4.66. Just last year, his home-road ERA split was 2.69 at home and 5.11 on the road. That is not impressive. Oakland is THE most pitcher friendly park in MLB. Blanton would be moving from that to one of the top 5 worst pitchers parks.

Factoring in the amount the Reds would have to give up and the fact that Blanton would only be signed for two years, I'll GLADLY pass. Blanton benefits from the park he pitches in and would no longer have that benefit in Cincinnati.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='632954' date='Feb 17 2008, 01:58 PM']Joe Blanton's career ERA away from McAfee Coliseum (Oakland's home park) is 4.66. Just last year, his home-road ERA split was 2.69 at home and 5.11 on the road. That is not impressive. Oakland is THE most pitcher friendly park in MLB. Blanton would be moving from that to one of the top 5 worst pitchers parks.

Factoring in the amount the Reds would have to give up and the fact that Blanton would only be signed for two years, I'll GLADLY pass. Blanton benefits from the park he pitches in and would no longer have that benefit in Cincinnati.[/quote]

I'm thinking the same thing; his WHIP is also scary-big. Oakland Alameda / Macafee Coliseum doesn't have the long fences like Petco, but it has acres of foul territory to make up for it.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='632955' date='Feb 17 2008, 02:04 PM']I'm thinking the same thing; his WHIP is also scary-big. Oakland Alameda / Macafee Coliseum doesn't have the long fences like Petco, but it has acres of foul territory to make up for it.[/quote]

I'd put it like this. Blanton would be better than what we have, but he isn't worth the price. He's not terrible, but he isn't a stud like Bedard either.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='632956' date='Feb 17 2008, 02:09 PM']I'd put it like this. Blanton would be better than what we have, but he isn't worth the price. He's not terrible, but he isn't a stud like Bedard either.[/quote]

Rich Harden, on the other hand...amazing pitcher, injury problems the only strike against him (though a big strike). Maybe he needs a change of scenery. And maybe Dick Pole could solve whatever mechanical bug is ailing him. He just might have the nastiest stuff around when healthy - throws as hard as Joba, but with a complete arsenal.

Archived