Reds considering Lofton for leadoff, center field jobs?

Jamie_B

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Reds-considering-Lofton-for-leadoff-center-fiel?urn=mlb%2C67459"]http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Re...urn=mlb%2C67459[/url]

[quote]MLB - Sports Rumors Reds considering Lofton for leadoff, center field jobs?
Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 9:10 am EST

The Cincinnati Reds need to find a center fielder and a leadoff man. Ideally, they'll be the same guy, the Cincinnati Inquirer reported.

The Reds haven't stopped looking outside. Baker said he's talked to Kenny Lofton and Corey Patterson recently. Both play center field. Lofton is the much better leadoff man. So is there a chance he'll end up with the Reds? The hangup with Lofton is the Reds don't have a spot on the 40-man roster.

"There's a chance," Baker said. "They're out there looking for jobs. You have to see how it fits in the budget. Kenny wants a big-league contract."[/quote]

i dont much care for baker really, he seems like a "take my guys with me" and hook them up kinda guy. whats strange is, i havent disliked anything he has done in the offseason thus far, but pershaps its not his doings..

i hope im wrong, buy i just dont see him being the right fit for the reds at this juncture, perhpas its a recognition milestone that needed to be met.. but i dunno..

This reminds me of a Giants move:
Let's add speed and a leadoff hitter to our lineup...by signing a fucking 35 year old (or a 39/40 year old in Lofton's case)!

What, was Rickey Henderson not up to it? I wonder if Lou Brock can still hold a bat? He's familiar enough with the division.

Listen, as a Giants fan, I like Kenny Lofton. He was critical to our victory in the 2002 NLCS. I think he's a dick though. You don't play for 1/3 of the teams in Baseball if you're a well-liked guy.

[quote name='#22' post='634004' date='Feb 20 2008, 12:39 PM']We would get as much out of this signing as we did out of Tony Womack.

Don't the Reds still have Norris Hopper?[/quote]

i like hopper and freel is servicable... i forgot about hopper... if he is half as good as he seemed last year, i would have to agree w/ you and say that we should avoid Lofton...

I love Hopper, and the Reds resurgence last season when Hopper and Keppinger started playing regularly did not go unnoticed. At the very least, Hopper is the best bunter I've seen since Wilton Guererro, and even when in a slump, he can drag bunt for hits. Right now, he can do everything Lofton can, but faster.

Also: I noticed Denorfia is listed as the A's starting CF.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='633805' date='Feb 19 2008, 11:32 PM']i dont much care for baker really, he seems like a "take my guys with me" and hook them up kinda guy. whats strange is, i havent disliked anything he has done in the offseason thus far, but pershaps its not his doings..

i hope im wrong, buy i just dont see him being the right fit for the reds at this juncture, perhpas its a recognition milestone that needed to be met.. but i dunno..[/quote]

I have to agree about Baker, not a fan. We have been fighting to find good young pitching for a while and we get some potential and bring in a manager known for overworking his guys?

Dont like it.

Archived