I'm starting to think our defense is going to be a lot like Arizona's defense last year (and not because we just singed one of their guys). They finished 17th.

Something that ranks in the mid/late teens , and isn't complete stud like but gets the job done because they had a lot of gifted athletes. Overall, the Cardinals defense wasn't awesome. But they had a lot of stud athletes that made plays. Guys like Karlos Dansby, Adrian Wilson, Calvin Pace, Roderick Hood, Antrelle Rolle, Darnell Dockett, and Darryl Blackstock. The one thing that stuck out to me last year was how many stud athletes they had.

I see us kind of being the same way with guys like Geathers, Odom, Brooks, Jeanty, Odell, Hall, Joseph, Ndukwe, Pollack, and umm Darryl Blackstock.

Not necessarily pro-bowl football players (though quite a few of them could be), but definately a collection of players who can make plays because they are very gifted athletically.

Throw in a defensive coaching staff that is now (with the new additions) probably better than Arizona's, and I think we could very well finish somewhere in the mid-teens defensively.

It feels too early for me to be overly positive or negative...But I really think that the switch to Zimmer and Fitzgerald are going to make the biggest difference. They are both a step above what we have had in place.

It's those two guys who are also giving me a bit of confidence when they re-sign Dhani or sign Blackstock - because you know that Zimmer and Fitzgerald have decided they can work with those particular players.

BZ

[quote name='TheBZ' post='642419' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:29 PM']It feels too early for me to be overly positive or negative...But I really think that the switch to Zimmer and Fitzgerald are going to make the biggest difference. They are both a step above what we have had in place.

It's those two guys who are also giving me a bit of confidence when they re-sign Dhani or sign Blackstock - because you know that Zimmer and Fitzgerald have decided they can work with those particular players.

BZ[/quote]

definately, as well as Odom. You definately have a good feeling about those 3 guys since Zimmer and Fitz wanted them. If nothing else, the fact that there are 2 new coaches with a fresh, proven, perspective is a comforting thought.

it seems like this offseason the bengals are actually attempting to put together a defense capable of taking us to the playoffs, which is sometthing that hasn't happened in a long time. It may not happen next year, but I have faith in zimmer

Yeh that's the thing. We must be patient this year because no doubt the players will all be learning a new system which will be more complicated than the vanilla unimagimative stuff Bresnahan was coaching. But the end product should be 10 times more effective given Zimmer and Fitz's scheming savvy.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='642452' date='Mar 11 2008, 07:43 AM']Yeh that's the thing. We must be patient this year because no doubt the players will all be learning a new system which will be more complicated than the vanilla unimagimative stuff Bresnahan was coaching. But the end product should be 10 times more effective given Zimmer and Fitz's scheming savvy.[/quote]

I don't think the system will be that different. Some different blitz packages and more man-to-man, yea, but I don't think Zimmer is going to be putting in an overly complicated scheme. If anything, the new guys needing to gel with the old guys will be a bigger obstacle.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='642420' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:34 PM']definately, as well as Odom. You definately have a good feeling about those 3 guys since Zimmer and Fitz wanted them. If nothing else, the fact that there are 2 new coaches with a fresh, proven, perspective is a comforting thought.[/quote]

amen

[quote name='TheBZ' post='642419' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:29 PM']It feels too early for me to be overly positive or negative...But I really think that the switch to Zimmer and Fitzgerald are going to make the biggest difference. They are both a step above what we have had in place.

BZ[/quote]
I agree its too early to get a feel for our "new defense". New being the key word. New coachs along with over half our defense has or will have a new starter at each position...This should help us...I mean there is a lot of room for improvement from the bottom. Our defense is going to have a play as a unit and with that bend but don't break mentality....THE KEY WILL BE creating turnovers (a la our last playoff team did). The thing that gets me is...if you had to name our best defensive player (pre-draft) who would it be...(im not trying to make who is a topic)...and than take them and place him on one of the perannual playoff teams in the AFC...Where would he fit?? We have added depth, athletic and young players lets put them out there and let them make a name for themselves.

All in all time will tell!!!

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='642452' date='Mar 11 2008, 06:43 AM']Yeh that's the thing. We must be patient this year because no doubt the players will all be learning a new system which will be more complicated than the vanilla unimagimative stuff Bresnahan was coaching. But the end product should be 10 times more effective given Zimmer and Fitz's scheming savvy.[/quote]

Actually, I think Zimmer's scheme will be much less complicated. Zimmer is from the school of "we do what we do best" and not so concerned with what the offense does. Bres' scheme was extremely complicated from what I heard from a number of players. That's why we had so many problems when we had injuries, if everyone wasn't reading the same keys or didn't read them the same way, you had huge gaps in coverage. He was always concerned with how the opposing teams O had played over the past couple of weeks, like in the Atlanta game a couple of years ago where he had everyone reading Vicks run keys so Vick faked them and threw the ball all over us. Zimmer's idea is to just hit you in the mouth, over and over. I like it! B)

The best thing about Zimmer is he holds the philosophy that he would rather be beaten while dictaing the terms of the fight, than get his ass kicked taking what the offense gives.

I agree... Best to go out swinging than prancing around like a bitch.

[quote name='Patmo' post='643108' date='Mar 13 2008, 12:50 PM']Marvin says he wants to redo the defense.Don't forget JUNE CUTS.Right now we don't know what our D is going to look like .Combine a good draft and a F/A signing in June and we could see a big improvement.[/quote]

There won't be anyone cut for cap reasons in June. There's over 400 mil in cap space around the league. I really, really, hope we aren't relying on other team's castoffs again this season.

[quote name='sparky151' post='643115' date='Mar 13 2008, 12:57 PM']There won't be anyone cut for cap reasons in June. There's over 400 mil in cap space around the league. I really, really, hope we aren't relying on other team's castoffs again this season.[/quote]

just picking up some needed help at DE...(Odom)
Thery're really counting on healthy players coming back plus the addition of Thurman..

[quote name='sparky151' post='643115' date='Mar 13 2008, 01:57 PM']There won't be anyone cut for cap reasons in June. There's over 400 mil in cap space around the league. I really, really, hope we aren't relying on other team's castoffs again this season.[/quote]

I guarantee the Jets will let Robertson go. They are one of six teams that have less than $5 million in cap space before the draft. Their #6 pick (if they don't trade it) will take a huge chink of that.

BTW the other 5 teams are the Lions, Cowboy, Cards, plus two in or own division Steelers, Ravens.

Realistically the the best chance of this defense improving is going to be through the lifting of weights, running of gasers, and the watching of RAMBOs while eating raw meat.

At some point, these young pups that seem to impress in their first years are going to have to take the next steps instead of disappointing or flatlining.

Going all the way back to Justin Smith it seems (for various reasons) guys on the defense have never turned into studs like their offensive counter parts.

Justin Smith maxed out at 8.5 sacks his rookie season.

Odell/Pollack - still waiting for their second season

Madieu - shoulder

J.Joe - foot

Brooks - Grion

Geathers huge late 2004 games then moved to DT, disappeared, then 10.5 sacks, then shuffled around.

Out of Hall, Ndukwe, White and all the others still on the roster a couple of them have to stake their claim as NFL stud. Given his age/paycheck/accomplishments Odom is very much like other guys on our defense. Potential.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='643142' date='Mar 13 2008, 02:48 PM']I guarantee the Jets will let Robertson go. They are one of six teams that have less than $5 million in cap space before the draft. Their #6 pick (if they don't trade it) will take a huge chink of that.

BTW the other 5 teams are the Lions, Cowboy, Cards, plus two in or own division Steelers, Ravens.[/quote]

Fair point about Robertson, though the Jets may find a trade partner before releasing him. The Bengals say that his knee is the obstacle to adding him so I wouldn't count on him as a reinforcement.
The other teams will just do a restructure or two to clear enough room for the draft picks. They won't be cutting anyone they hate to see go.

Archived