Who's the Best Player You Have seen Live

Jason

Who is the best player you have ever seen play live at each position.

Here's mine:
C: Johnny Bench
1B: Steve Garvey
2B: Ryne Sandberg
SS: Barry Larkin
3B: Mike Schmidt
LF: George Foster
CF: Eric Davis
RF: Tony Gwynn
SP: Jose Rijo
RP: Bruce Sutter

[quote name='Jason' post='651466' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:32 PM']Who is the best player you have ever seen play live at each position.

Here's mine:
RP: Bruce Sutter[/quote]

if u say bench then you should EASILY replace Garvey, Sandberg and Larkin with Perez, Morgan, and Concepcion.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='651467' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:51 PM']if u say bench then you should EASILY replace Garvey, Sandberg and Larkin with Perez, Morgan, and Concepcion.[/quote]

Exactly.

And starting pitcher would be Greg Maddux. I love Rijo, but damn....

C: Always been a huge fan of Benito Santiago, but I saw Ivan Rodriguez (both cheated) on the Marlins.
1B: Will Clark.
2B: Jeff Kent. I like Brandon Phillips much MUCH better, though.
SS: Omar Vizquel. Jose Reyes.
3B: Hard one. Matt Williams or Scott Rolen :(
LF: Barry Lamar Bonds
CF: Ken Griffey, Jr. (Never saw him with the Mariners, though)
RF: Big fan of Reggie Sanders (have a foul ball of his in my room), but CLS alum David Justice was no slouch.
SP: Jason Schmidt when he was good. Johnny Cueto :ninja:
RP: Robb Nen. Eric Gagne (in his prime). Joe Nathan in 2003 :( :( :(

[quote name='Jason' post='651466' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:32 PM']Who is the best player you have ever seen play live at each position.

Here's mine:
RP: Bruce Sutter[/quote]
Are you honestly trying to say Eric Davis > Griffey, Jr? I hope not...

Some of the best I've seen...

Oil Can Boyd at the top of his game - devastating
Curt Shilling - first start after winning the WS
Tim Wakefield - no, I don't really think he's one of the greatest ever, but if you've ever seen that knuckler in person, you'd mention it, too ;)
Pedro Martinez - 1-hitter through 6 from the 3rd row behind the dugout @ Camden Yards. Nastiest stuff I have ever seen.
Cal Ripken, Jr - numerous times @ Camden Yards
Griffey, Jr - First HR in a Reds uni in spring training
Greg Maddux - Game 1 of 99 World Series (though he took the loss... fucking yankees <_< )
Tom Seaver, Concepcion, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, George Foster - from the old yellow seats @ Riverfront about 30 years ago -_-

C: Eddie Taubensee. Actually, probably Piazza.
1B: Poo Holes
2B: Chase Utley
3B: Yuck. Haven't seen any good ones.
LF: Barry Bonds
CF: Griffey, Jr.
RF: Griffey, Jr. or maybe Vladdy Daddy
SP: The Big Unit
RP: Lidge, before the aforementioned Poo Hole took him deep in the playoffs and he went loopy. Or Gagne, whom I saw fight the ump during a blown save, in a game later won by the aforementioned Griffey, Jr.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='651485' date='Apr 12 2008, 01:16 AM'][b]Are you honestly trying to say Eric Davis > Griffey, Jr? I hope not...[/b]

Tim Wakefield - no, I don't really think he's one of the greatest ever, but if you've ever seen that knuckler in person, you'd mention it, too ;)
Pedro Martinez - 1-hitter through 6 from the 3rd row behind the dugout @ Camden Yards. Nastiest stuff I have ever seen.
Greg Maddux - Game 1 of 99 World Series (though he took the loss... fucking yankees <_< )
Tom Seaver, Concepcion, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, George Foster - from the old yellow seats @ Riverfront about 30 years ago -_-[/quote]

Eric Davis was better when I saw him than Junior was when I saw him.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='651467' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:51 PM']if u say bench then you should EASILY replace Garvey, Sandberg and Larkin with Perez, Morgan, and Concepcion.[/quote]

Perez and Morgan were not Reds at the time. And I'll take Larkin over Concepcion.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='651477' date='Apr 11 2008, 11:40 PM']Exactly.

And starting pitcher would be Greg Maddux. I love Rijo, but damn....[/quote]

I never saw Maddux pitch live and in person.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='651485' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:16 AM'][b]Are you honestly trying to say Eric Davis > Griffey, Jr? I hope not...
[/b]

Tom Seaver, Concepcion, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, George Foster - from the old yellow seats @ Riverfront about 30 years ago -_-[/quote]

If he never saw Griffey in Seattle uni then it is a GUARANTEE that Davis was the better player he saw live.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='651487' date='Apr 12 2008, 01:13 AM']C: Eddie Taubensee. Actually, probably Piazza.
1B: Poo Holes
2B: Chase Utley
3B: Yuck. Haven't seen any good ones.
CF: Griffey, Jr.
RF: Griffey, Jr. or maybe Vladdy Daddy
SP: The Big Unit
RP: Lidge, before the aforementioned Poo Hole took him deep in the playoffs and he went loopy. Or Gagne, whom I saw fight the ump during a blown save, in a game later won by the aforementioned Griffey, Jr.[/quote]

that is possibly the worst team i think anyone could come up with.

[quote name='Jason' post='651543' date='Apr 12 2008, 09:39 AM']Perez and Morgan were not Reds at the time. [b]And I'll take Larkin over Concepcion.[/b][/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='651559' date='Apr 12 2008, 11:23 AM']that is possibly the worst team i think anyone could come up with.[/quote]

I'd be relatively happy with it. Besides, its who HE's seen live. Considering you don't know who he's seen live, your opinion is null and void. :)

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='651566' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:41 AM']I'd be relatively happy with it. Besides, its who HE's seen live. Considering you don't know who he's seen live, your opinion is null and void. :)[/quote]
1) he said taubensee

2) griffey in RF is almost impossible

3) no 3B? there are a lot of good 3B in baseball he had to see one

4) Lidge? even before he sucked he wanst great. i find that one hard to believe

C: Pudge (in his prime)
1B: Frank Thomas (in his prime)
2B: Brandon Phillips (ive seen others that were great, but not 5 tool like BP) would be Alfonso Soriano if he didnt K so much
3B: Miguel Cabrera (probably could put arod here too or rolen before the injuries cuz miguel doesnt have the defense, but his bat is simply amazing)
SS: Alex Rodriguez (no brainer)
CF: Andruw Jones (at one point with the Braves he was on pace to become one of the best CFs of all time. he killed that with his last few years)
RF: Vladdy

SP: Greg Maddux (in his prime with Braves)
RP: Francisco Cordero or Mariano Rivera (i saw him when he was leaving his prime)

Im most likely going to change this some. I edited it 3 or 4 times while typing it up cuz i keep thinking of past games i went to.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='651574' date='Apr 12 2008, 11:32 AM']1) he said taubensee

2) griffey in RF is almost impossible

3) no 3B? there are a lot of good 3B in baseball he had to see one

4) Lidge? even before he sucked he wanst great. i find that one hard to believe[/quote]

Taubensee was a joke, Griffey in right also one; hence why I listed others. Use the brain, big boy.

I have seen the yankees vs reds in spring, so I suppose Arod would be the 3B, but I hate the fuck and won't give him credit.

Lidge was a very dominant reliever for a year and a half, at a position in which they come and go. Few have the longevity of rivera, whom I haven't even seen, and I don't recall seeing Hoffman either.

And how do you expect to ever be satisfied with the Reds relievers if 94.2 IP, 1.90 ERA, 0.174 BAA, 0.92 WHIP, and 157 K (!) "wasn't great?" Yes, whip out your caculator, and confirm that this is 14.93 K/9. "meh, not great."

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='651559' date='Apr 12 2008, 11:23 AM']If he never saw Griffey in Seattle uni then it is a GUARANTEE that Davis was the better player he saw live.

that is possibly the worst team i think anyone could come up with.

[quote]Perez and Morgan were not Reds at the time. [b]And I'll take Larkin over Concepcion.[/b][/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Concepcion was a slightly better defensive player (Larkin would have won more gold gloves had Ozzie not been winning them purely on reputation for a few years), but Larkin was a better hitter, and a slightly better base runner.

[quote name='Jason' post='651592' date='Apr 12 2008, 01:15 PM']:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Concepcion was a slightly better defensive player (Larkin would have won more gold gloves had Ozzie not been winning them purely on reputation for a few years), but Larkin was a better hitter, and a slightly better base runner.[/quote]
Concepcion imo is the best defensive SS in MLB history and i know a lot of people professional and everyday people who agree. Plus Concepcions bat wasnt as bad as people think either. He should have been voted into the HOF on first ballot. He is being screwed. Larkin was a better bat and good D, but his D wasnt on Concepcions level. If i was building a team full of Reds no doubt Concepcion would be my SS.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='651590' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:56 PM']Taubensee was a joke, Griffey in right also one; hence why I listed others. Use the brain, big boy.

I have seen the yankees vs reds in spring, so I suppose Arod would be the 3B, but I hate the fuck and won't give him credit.

Lidge was a very dominant reliever for a year and a half, at a position in which they come and go. Few have the longevity of rivera, whom I haven't even seen, and I don't recall seeing Hoffman either.

And how do you expect to ever be satisfied with the Reds relievers if 94.2 IP, 1.90 ERA, 0.174 BAA, 0.92 WHIP, and 157 K (!) "wasn't great?" Yes, whip out your caculator, and confirm that this is 14.93 K/9. "meh, not great."[/quote]

then i should laugh at piazza! whenever i saw lidge pitch he didnt impress me. i know he put up good #'s for about 2 years but i guess i just never liked his style and control.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='651602' date='Apr 12 2008, 02:19 PM']then i should laugh at piazza! whenever i saw lidge pitch he didnt impress me. i know he put up good #'s for about 2 years but i guess i just never liked his style and control.[/quote]

I'm being honest with players I know I've seen. Sure, it would be easy to say "Ivan Rodriguez," but I've never seen the Rangers or Tigers play, nor the Marlins during his time there. Piazza obviously wasn't a great all-around hitter, but his bat was second to none during his time.

Interesting question since it based on who you've actually seen live and in person, harder than I first thought to answer but here is a swag at it:

Catcher: Johnny Bench
Pitcher: Greg Maddux
1B: Albert Pujols
2B: Joe Morgan
SS: Ozzie Newsom (with Larkin a close second)
OF: Bonds, Ichiro, Eric Davis (saw Griffey Jr, but not THE Jr in his prime).
All around player with many positions: Pete Rose
Relief Pitching: Collectively as a group there was/is nothing better than the Nasty Boys (Myers, Dibble, & Charlton)

Obviously a Reds bias......

[quote name='bengals8580' post='651663' date='Apr 13 2008, 09:23 AM']Barry bonds...greatest player of all time[/quote]
Bonds is a fucking piece of garbage. Saw him, Bonilla and VanSlyke play A-ball in Prince William, VA. Notice I didn't list his sorry ass among the best I'd seen. There's a reason for that.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='651771' date='Apr 13 2008, 10:58 AM']Bonds is a fucking piece of garbage. Saw him, Bonilla and VanSlyke play A-ball in Prince William, VA. [b]Notice I didn't list his sorry ass among the best I'd seen. There's a reason for that.[/b][/quote]
Yea, because you have a bias. Bonds is the best player to ever take the field.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='651774' date='Apr 13 2008, 11:17 AM']Yea, because you have a bias. Bonds is the best player to ever take the field.[/quote]

I would take Junior in his prime in Seattle over Bonds [b]any day[/b] of the week.

And yes I've seen both....

Archived