Second Half Thread

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='681144' date='Jul 24 2008, 11:36 AM']why Votto? He's been slumping.

At the risk of jinxing it, Dunn, Griffey and EE have all been hitting well lately.[/quote]

I've been thinking Votto should be hitting 3rd for a while. He's been hitting better than Junior most of the year, and he's a left handed bat to keep the order broken up a little.

[quote name='MESP' post='681471' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:49 AM']ok Realistically, what do you think the chances of him passing through waivers and us re-signing him are? helo[/quote]

[quote name='bengalrick' post='681505' date='Jul 25 2008, 12:37 PM']fair enough for the non bolded part... at least you have an unbiased approach to this... although I think you are underestimating Griffey's defense... He obviously doesn't have the speed he used to, but his strength is (and always has been) his incredible instincts as far as cutting the balls off and making the first step correctly... Most RF's (including Bruce) do not have that, although Bruce could be a better OF'er right now... but then we are depending on patterson in CF :nasty:

however, for your bolded part, I think you need to reread who you are "agreeing" with... they want us to trade them this year... i agree that we let him go (and not pick up the extra year) next year, but for this year, I want him to play out the rest of the year because we don't have anyone that is better than him... I know Hairston will need a place to play when he gets back, but with his injury history, I don't want to depend on him and watch God knows who play if he gets hurt again...

now on the Thurman "the quitter" munster.... Thurman, did you say that you have given up on this year? Are you for real, are you that big of a quitter that you don't see that we are still in this? Is it a slim chance? Yes, but it IS a chance and to give up on it for the BS that we would get in a griffey trade is amazing... It is almost unanimous that two teams will come out of the central...

What if the reds go on a 10 or 15 game winning streak? Then we are right back in the thick of things... and don't act like it isn't possible... we are almost at 500 right now, with our ace having his worst year of his career... we all know that Harrang is a stud and he is coming back soon... Arroyo is pitching as well as I've ever seen him pitch the past few games... We are about to get our spark plug back (hairston)... we are playing good baseball finally, ready to go on a roll, and you are ready to give up? You better explain yourself...[/quote]

from what i hear, harang might be gone for a while longer.

also i didnt quit. im a realist. this team isnt catching the brewers or the cubs. and the team owner/gm themselves have given up. i dont care about winning unless u can win the WS. this team CANNOT win the WS this year. so do what is necessary to give them a shot to win it next year. i dont give a flying fuck about having a winning record or making the playoffs unless we have a shot at a WS ring. we dont, so i dont CARE about anything we do this year other than build for next year.

there is no in between... while there is still a chance, you either quit or you don't... I realize you are trying to justify your position, but facts are facts... You can yourself a realist, i call it quitting...

Same as last year when we had little chance of making the playoffs last year, and people were saying we should tank the season so we could get a higher draft pick... you NEVER quit!!!

i respect your position, but respectfully disagree...

you didn't answer the question of what if we go on a 10 game winning streak... with 2 months left of baseball, we DO have a shot at the playoffs and that is the ONLY requirement as far as winning the world series...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='681528' date='Jul 25 2008, 03:47 PM']there is no in between... while there is still a chance, you either quit or you don't... I realize you are trying to justify your position, but facts are facts... You can yourself a realist, i call it quitting...

Same as last year when we had little chance of making the playoffs last year, and people were saying we should tank the season so we could get a higher draft pick... you NEVER quit!!!

i respect your position, but respectfully disagree...

you didn't answer the question of what if we go on a 10 game winning streak... with 2 months left of baseball, we DO have a shot at the playoffs and that is the ONLY requirement as far as winning the world series...[/quote]

I just dont think our bats are consistent enough to win 10 in a row...I mean if they get on fire I guess its possible, but I think at best we could win like 10 of 13 or something like that which would be big. But we need to do that NOW, starting with Colorado. We need to get to .500 by the end of July. We cant lose games we have a good shot at winning anymore like we did against the Mets and SD. Tonights game is big, we need a big start from Edinson.

with edwin on fire, keppinger back and healthy, hairston on the mend, i am not as worried about our bats, as I am at what Volquez is looking like tonight... I think that if Harrang can come back soon, we could put together some wins... 10 wins is obviously hypothetical, but stranger things have happened...

The teams I worry about is the brewers.. the cubs are relying on people like dempster to get them through, and i am just waiting for his wheels to fall off... the cardinals are struggling mightily and we could pass them up soon...

I am not saying that we are GOING to make the playoffs, but if absolutely refuse to give up until the fat lady sings... and she is only getting her throat warmed up, so its not over yet :)

Hell guys, we are only 3 games from 500 at this point... don't give up yet... agreed 100% though... it has to start with this series... we have to win every series from here on imo... we don't have to win 10 or 15 in a row, but it wouldn't hurt :)

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='682618' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:41 AM']Getting ready to? Think its already happened.[/quote]
*sigh*

time to trade Dunn and Griffey.

Though I will never watch a game involving Jr in another team's uni. It's a shame things have not worked out the past 8 years, but I blame myself. I only begged the baseball gods for the chance to see him in a Reds uni before I died. I should have asked to see him win a WS here. <_< -_-

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='682620' date='Jul 29 2008, 09:52 PM']*sigh*

time to trade Dunn and Griffey.

Though I will never watch a game involving Jr in another team's uni. It's a shame things have not worked out the past 8 years, but I blame myself. I only begged the baseball gods for the chance to see him in a Reds uni before I died. I should have asked to see him win a WS here. <_< -_-[/quote]
'
If we can get something for them do it, but we arent gonna get shit for them. Let them finish the year off, consider signing dunn if the price is right, and let Junior go.

This team is so confusing. We look great for 4-5 games and then look absolutely terrible for the next 4-5. Its looking like there will be no deals at the deadline either. Just hope these young pitchers can get it together and have consistent outings in the future.

[quote name='KY_Bengal' post='682638' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:22 PM']This team is so confusing. We look great for 4-5 games and then look absolutely terrible for the next 4-5. Its looking like there will be no deals at the deadline either. Just hope these young pitchers can get it together and have consistent outings in the future.[/quote]
Yeah. I don't get it, either. But i would say that I don't expect this "doing good for four, doing bad for four" tradeoff to continue, as the players look like a defeated team already.
We lack leadership, and I blame guys like Griffey and Dunn for their lackadaisacal attitudes.

If you recall the last time we had hope (before Hairston was hurt, and even Keppinger), the young guys were spurring the vets on, in the sense that they didn't want to get "shown up" by the youngsters.
Now that the youngsters are playing to their baseball card, there is no excitement or urgency to this ballclub. They are going through the motions and will do so for the remainder of the season.

What a fucking waste. I'm pissed at myself for buying into the "new ownership, we want to win NOW" philosophy that hasn't panned out.

Perhaps now with Castellini's fire in the belly and Jocketty on board (coupled with some promising young talent) that we actually get to the promised land within a couple years.

It just won't be THIS year...AGAIN.

<<sigh>>

The Reds had an 8-1 lead

Volquez got the first guy to ground out in the 7th inning
The second batter doubled
The third batter reached on an error by Keppinger
The 4th batter reached on an error by Keppinger
The 5th batter hit a home run to make it 8-5

Can't expect a pitcher to get 5 outs in an inning and this was after Volquez was near or over 100 pitches.

[quote name='CTA513' post='682899' date='Jul 30 2008, 09:41 PM']The Reds had an 8-1 lead

Volquez got the first guy to ground out in the 7th inning
The second batter doubled
The third batter reached on an error by Keppinger
The 4th batter reached on an error by Keppinger
The 5th batter hit a home run to make it 8-5

Can't expect a pitcher to get 5 outs in an inning and this was after Volquez was near or over 100 pitches.[/quote]
8-1 lead goin into the 7th I don't send volquez back out at all. Especially with his pitch count in the mid 90's.
He had been struggling lately, I let him leave with some confidence and hope the pen can get 9 outs w/o giving up 7 runs.
It seems like its written in Dusty's book somewhere that volquez and cueto HAVE to throw over 100 pitches every start. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='BengalRep85-9' post='687865' date='Aug 15 2008, 04:08 PM']Did we sign Alonso?[/quote]

Not yet and Ive heard some people say that Alex Rodriguez is going to let him live with him if he decides to play independent ball instead of signing with the Reds.

Archived