Second Half Thread

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' post='687877' date='Aug 15 2008, 03:38 PM']Our first round pick... Im pretty sure I read somewhere that today is the deadline.
Does that mean the midnight that passed this morning or midnight tonight??? :mellow:[/quote]

tonight. An update:

[quote]Reds make final offer to Alonso
Club has until midnight ET to sign first-round Draft pick
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Reds made their final pitch to Yonder Alonso on Friday. Now they'll wait for their first-round Draft pick's final answer.
There were only a few hours remaining Friday until a midnight ET deadline for teams to sign their 2008 Draft picks. As afternoon wound towards evening, the two sides did not appear close to reaching a deal.

"We've presented our final offer," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "We're waiting to see how they respond."

"We're working really hard, but as of now we're a good ways apart," Reds scouting director Chris Buckley said earlier in the day. "It's frustrating, for sure."

Jocketty was on the field visiting with members of his old team, the Cardinals, during batting practice before the two teams played on Friday night. He was satisfied the Reds went as far as they could to get Alonso to sign.

"We said we've gone as far as we want to go," Jocketty said. "We've already gone substantially farther than we planned to because we like the player and thought he would play in the big leagues within the next couple of years."

On Thursday, Reds manager Dusty Baker got involved in the process. Baker's agent, Greg Genske, is Alonso's advisor and negotiating point man.

"I called him yesterday, and he called me back and we talked briefly," Baker said. "I'm hoping we get it done. Most of that is out of my hands."

Baker declined to detail the conversation he had with Alonso, a 22-year-old first baseman out of the University of Miami. Alonso was the No. 7 overall pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft.

Alonso has been seeking $7 million, and although the Reds haven't detailed their offer, it originally was reported to be in the $3 million range that was in line with the slot system.

Genske has not returned phone calls for comment.

Teams that don't sign their Draft picks before the deadline lose their rights and the players go back into the pool for next year. Alonso could return for his senior season at Miami or play independent ball if he doesn't sign. The Reds would get the No. 8 overall selection next season as compensation if they don't sign Alonso.

The Reds inked two other Draft picks on Friday, with 30th-round selection Juan Sulbaran and 35th rounder Matthew Fairel agreeing to deals. Both are pitchers.[/quote]

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080815&content_id=3313686&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=cin[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='GoBengals' post='692962' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:38 PM']the reds are still playing? .... LOL.... why?[/quote]

Who knows. It so bloody boring to watch them anymore. Nobody has any enthusiasm.

I cant believe a lot fo people were there for the game last night.

EE hit a Grand slam.

[quote name='Jason' post='692077' date='Aug 27 2008, 03:26 PM']Wow, this thread (not to mention the whole forum) died since Dunn and Junior were traded.

Training camp may have had something to do with that too.[/quote]
Actually I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that even before those guys were traded that us fans knew the season was already in the tank (yet again) and with training camp and preseason starting, there realyy wasn't much reason to watch anymore.

I suppose I'll root for the Cubs in the postseason, if I watch much baseball at all.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='693059' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:24 AM']Who knows. It so bloody boring to watch them anymore. Nobody has any enthusiasm.

I cant believe a lot fo people were there for the game last night.

EE hit a Grand slam.[/quote]

I'd say this team plays with more enthusiasm and fire NOW than it did 2 months ago.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='693072' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:07 AM']Actually I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that even before those guys were traded that us fans knew the season was already in the tank (yet again) and with training camp and preseason starting, there realyy wasn't much reason to watch anymore.

I suppose I'll root for the Cubs in the postseason, if I watch much baseball at all.[/quote]

root for the cubs. ? WTF :huh:

[quote name='VonBlade' post='693774' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:34 PM']Great to get Arroyo back firing. He's the complete opposite to someone like Milton. Even when Arroyo was throwing nothing but junk I kept rooting for him.

Votto is gonna get a HUGE contract when it's renegotiating time. And deservedly so.[/quote]

I dont think votto has deservedly so earned himself a big ass contract.

I mean he hasnt done anything wrong. But our #1 draft was a 1b.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='695341' date='Sep 4 2008, 12:01 PM']the team has been looking promising. they have lost their 2 big bats and i think we average more runs per game now. im really starting to like this team. sign/trade for a guy like pat burrell and we could have something going.[/quote]

lol I said that two months ago and you said pat burrell sucks.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='695421' date='Sep 4 2008, 03:28 PM']lol I said that two months ago and you said pat burrell sucks.[/quote]

well there isnt a lot available. he is dead on adam dunn though. except he hardly scores runs (weird considering his team usually scores quite a few). he walks a lot and K's a lot not adam dunn totals though. he hits around 30 HRs and 100 RBIs. He hits about 255-260 for avg and he hits about 250 with RISP. we could use a player better than that but i dont see us getting milton bradley. bradley is the guy i REALLY want but i realistically see us willing to sign burrell. his attitude better fits this team than dunn did. there are a lot of guys id rather have but they arent really attainable so ill settle for burrell.

[quote]* Sure, the Reds stink, but the Louisvile Bats just killed the Durham Bulls last night, 19-3. Homer Bailey snapped his streak of 21 starts without a victory. He not only benefitted from a wee bit of run support (the Bats led 13-0 after three), but folks tell me he looked like the Homer Bailey everyone expected, around 96 all night and some nasty breaking stuff. He left after six innings having thrown just 77 pitches.[/quote]

Per CTrent. Thats a glimmer of hope that he has gotten it back. Let's hope.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='699081' date='Sep 10 2008, 11:23 AM']phillips is out for the rest of the year now. i hope it doestn dick him out of the gold glove which he DOMINATED for.[/quote]

Is there any doubt that it will dick him out of the gold glove...I would say there is about a 20% chance he gets it, whereas if all things were equal he would have like a 90% chance. Its fucking bullshit.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='699081' date='Sep 10 2008, 10:23 AM']phillips is out for the rest of the year now. i hope it doestn dick him out of the gold glove which he DOMINATED for.[/quote]

woah what the hell happened? He just played lastnight.

And you definately have to like the way this team is playing right now. They're now a respectable 14-11 since the Dunn trade with back to back late inning wins.

Archived