Second Half Thread

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='680931' date='Jul 23 2008, 03:05 PM']when did coffey get recalled? when burton went down?[/quote]

I think thats when he got called up and he continued to suck today.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='681087' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:30 AM']If Griff stays hot, the sky is the limit.

Since the break: .318, 4R, 4RBI, 1HR, 3 2B, 1.035 OPS[/quote]

don't tell thurman that... his "inside sources" say that this is just a blimp on the radar... all 606 of them...

[quote name='Jason' post='681125' date='Jul 24 2008, 08:45 AM']Junior has been better of late, but I would still have Votto in the 3 slot right now.[/quote]

why Votto? He's been slumping.

At the risk of jinxing it, Dunn, Griffey and EE have all been hitting well lately.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='681180' date='Jul 24 2008, 01:11 PM']i agree that griffey had a HORRIBLE begininng of the year, but you are crazy if you think that his play hasn't been helping us as of late...[/quote]
its not just beginning of the year. i have a little game for you: go to a baseball stats site and look up griffeys avg with RISP as a Mariner. then look up griffeys avg with RISP as a Red. they are VERY VERY VERY different. Since he has come to cincy he has not been able to hit with RISP. he isnt clutch, he isnt worth his contract and hasnt been in like 7 years. He ISNT a # 3 hitter (id hit him 6th) and hasnt been for a few years easily. He has been more of a problem than help for this team because the money being blown on him could be spent elsewhere to make this team a lot better than he has made them.

so your not going to admit that he has been helping this team lately? I realize you are a stat buff... and I admit that i was surprised at the stats you brought up the last time we had this conversation... and I won't even argue that he shouldn't be our 3 hitter...

BUT he has been playing damn good (offensively and defensely) for about a month and a half now, and frankly what he makes is meaningless to me... It meant more when our ownership capped us at like 50 million, but that is not how things are now... and I care about what he does for us right now (not last year or the past whatever years)...

You act like your one of the assholes that boo him everytime at the game, and have done so ever since his first injuries as a red... give him a break and enjoy watching one of (if not THE) best players to ever play the game... You will almost certainly get your wish next year, b/c he will not be a red then... but he is helping us now... and we have little chance of playoffs this year but unless you are a quitter, you don't quit until you have NO chance....

And to prove that I do change if the situation calls for it, I am the biggest Dunn Hater, but right now I wouldn't trade him for anyone less than an ace or a couple of stud prospects... He may have turned the corner that we have all been waiting for...

If only he was worth a shit in the field......

[quote name='bengalrick' post='681227' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:31 PM']so your not going to admit that he has been helping this team lately? I realize you are a stat buff... and I admit that i was surprised at the stats you brought up the last time we had this conversation... and I won't even argue that he shouldn't be our 3 hitter...

BUT he has been playing damn good (offensively and defensely) for about a month and a half now, and frankly what he makes is meaningless to me... It meant more when our ownership capped us at like 50 million, but that is not how things are now... and I care about what he does for us right now (not last year or the past whatever years)...

You act like your one of the assholes that boo him everytime at the game, and have done so ever since his first injuries as a red... give him a break and enjoy watching one of (if not THE) best players to ever play the game... You will almost certainly get your wish next year, b/c he will not be a red then... but he is helping us now... and we have little chance of playoffs this year but unless you are a quitter, you don't quit until you have NO chance....

And to prove that I do change if the situation calls for it, I am the biggest Dunn Hater, but right now I wouldn't trade him for anyone less than an ace or a couple of stud prospects... He may have turned the corner that we have all been waiting for...

If only he was worth a shit in the field......[/quote]

meh, dunn gets hot every year for a while. he will counter that in a month. id deal him for huston street (we would be raping the A's) if they would do it, in heart beat.

griffey i hated before cincy traded for him. i hated the trade and still do. this team CANNOT compete when it is paying OFs like Griffey and Dunn 10-15 mill a year a piece. That OF better be a gold glover and be one of the best 3 hole hitters in the game. I didnt want Griffey because his avg his last 2 years in Seattle were significantly lower (about 20 points) than all of his other years. I didnt agree with a small market team trading for a guy who is going to hit 280ish and honestly was past his prime imo. Most players dont start playing pro ball as quickly as he did. And most players didnt tear themselves up in the OF like Griffey did. I expected the wear and tear he put on his body in CF in Seattle and the fact that he played in the pros so early would cut his career short. I didnt think his career would happen the way it did. I figured he would hit around 270-280 his first 3 or so years in Cincy and flirt with 40 HRs all 3 years. Then i expected his avg to dip into the 260s and his power down to the low 30s for the next couple of years. I didnt see his addition at his contract being an intelligent pick up when we got him. I really didnt want Cameron to leave either because the production he gave us at his price was great. I have never boo'd griffey at a game. I dont cheer for him when he comes to the plate like others do. I cheer for Phillips, Bruce, Votto, EE, Bako and others. I didnt hate griffey because of his injuries. I hated us trading for him as soon as it was announced.

i wouldnt really say griffey is playing good ball the past month and a half. he is hitting 269 in July and hit 205 in June. He has 3 HRs and 13 RBIs in July. He is playing better than what his norm has been this year but i wouldnt consider it good. he hit 255 and 250 in april and may. he is 1 HR and 3 RBIs from having his monthly total high be in July this season. So he is hitting a little better, but far from good. He is having a good week. He is in the midst of a 7 game hitting streak and hitting 346 in that span. Before the hit streak this past week he only had 3 or 4 games worth a shit.

And Griffeys contract does make a huge difference. Even the brewers gm was quoted as saying a small/mid market team cant win if they are going to pay guys like Santana, Vlad and shit. This was after they traded for CC, knowing they are going to lose him in FA this offseason because they cant afford to resign him and stay competitive.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='681243' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:17 PM']meh, dunn gets hot every year for a while. he will counter that in a month. id deal him for huston street (we would be raping the A's) if they would do it, in heart beat.[/quote]

i'll go through the rest of your post later on when i get more time, but this nugget i can't pass up... why the hell would we do that? We have a closer and we get what, two draft picks for losing dunn next year...

Why would we need street when we have coco and burton as our one-two punch and we got weathers as a backup to both... I like street alright, but i'd rather have the two draft picks than a player that we literally have no where to send him... Unless your plan is to move one of them almost instantly, but if we are playing for this year (and I still am) then Street doesn't help you until possibly next year...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='681246' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:22 PM']i'll go through the rest of your post later on when i get more time, but this nugget i can't pass up... why the hell would we do that? We have a closer and we get what, two draft picks for losing dunn next year...

Why would we need street when we have coco and burton as our one-two punch and we got weathers as a backup to both... I like street alright, but i'd rather have the two draft picks than a player that we literally have no where to send him... Unless your plan is to move one of them almost instantly, but if we are playing for this year (and I still am) then Street doesn't help you until possibly next year...[/quote]

i dont think jocketty wants Cordero. he wasnt a jocketty signing. Coco has a no trade for this season. We obviously want Street as the Reds have shown a lot of interest in trying to get him. Burton + Street = NASTY pen for a decade. Plus in 1990 i believe the Reds had 3 stud relievers. If we can go SP to Burton-Street-Coco why the fuck not? It is better than throwing other guys in our pen evne tho they are decent. Plus if we trade Coco next year (which i think Walt wants to) then we will have Burton in the 8th and Street in the 9th. Id rather have a guy who u pretty much know is going to be good vs picks that are 4 years off and unknown. Winning this year is long gone and the Reds have even said that by stating their goal is 82 wins (i.e. above 500). Street makes perfect sense for this year and the future.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='681087' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:30 AM']If Griff stays hot, the sky is the limit.

Since the break: .318, 4R, 4RBI, 1HR, 3 2B, 1.035 OPS[/quote]

Oh for gods sake.

Since when did batting .318 over a 10 game stint become RED HOT. :lol: Only in the mind of a griffey fan i guess. :lol:

[quote name='bengalrick' post='681103' date='Jul 24 2008, 07:23 AM']don't tell thurman that... his "inside sources" say that this is just a blimp on the radar... all 606 of them...[/quote]

no all 606 werent.

But the last 100 or so were.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='681180' date='Jul 24 2008, 01:11 PM']i agree that griffey had a HORRIBLE begininng of the year, but you are crazy if you think that his play hasn't been helping us as of late...[/quote]

Of course over the past 10 games or so a guy batting .318 + etc has helped this ball club win.

So has a lot of other players playing good baseball helped our team hit a little.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='681222' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:25 PM']its not just beginning of the year. i have a little game for you: go to a baseball stats site and look up griffeys avg with RISP as a Mariner. then look up griffeys avg with RISP as a Red. they are VERY VERY VERY different. Since he has come to cincy he has not been able to hit with RISP. he isnt clutch, he isnt worth his contract and hasnt been in like 7 years. He ISNT a # 3 hitter (id hit him 6th) and hasnt been for a few years easily. He has been more of a problem than help for this team because the money being blown on him could be spent elsewhere to make this team a lot better than he has made them.[/quote]

Oh noooo. I cant believe my eyes. Im agreeing with thurman here.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='681227' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:31 PM']BUT he has been playing damn good (offensively and [b]defensely[/b][u][/u]) for about a month and a half now, and frankly what he makes is meaningless to me... It meant more when our ownership capped us at like 50 million, but that is not how things are now... and I care about what he does for us right now [b]([color="#FF0000"]not last year or the past whatever years[/color])... [/b]

[color="#FF0000"]give him a break and enjoy watching one of (if not THE) best players to ever play the game[/color]...[/quote]

Defense :lol: Get real, He's a fraction better than dunn in the outfield at this point in his career and (effort level).

As for the quotes in [color="#FF0000"]RED[/color]

I think your condridicting yourself a little here. ehh?

If you care so much about what he is doing right now for us. Why do you give hima break for what he did in the past for the seattle mariners?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='681243' date='Jul 25 2008, 06:17 AM']meh, dunn gets hot every year for a while. he will counter that in a month. id deal him for huston street (we would be raping the A's) if they would do it, in heart beat.

[b]griffey i hated before cincy traded for him. i hated the trade and still do. this team CANNOT compete when it is paying OFs like Griffey and Dunn 10-15 mill a year a piece. That OF better be a gold glover and be one of the best 3 hole hitters in the game. I didnt want Griffey because his avg his last 2 years in Seattle were significantly lower (about 20 points) than all of his other years. I didnt agree with a small market team trading for a guy who is going to hit 280ish and honestly was past his prime imo. Most players dont start playing pro ball as quickly as he did. And most players didnt tear themselves up in the OF like Griffey did. I expected the wear and tear he put on his body in CF in Seattle and the fact that he played in the pros so early would cut his career short. I didnt think his career would happen the way it did. I figured he would hit around 270-280 his first 3 or so years in Cincy and flirt with 40 HRs all 3 years. Then i expected his avg to dip into the 260s and his power down to the low 30s for the next couple of years. I didnt see his addition at his contract being an intelligent pick up when we got him. I really didnt want Cameron to leave either because the production he gave us at his price was great. I have never boo'd griffey at a game. I dont cheer for him when he comes to the plate like others do. I cheer for Phillips, Bruce, Votto, EE, Bako and others. I didnt hate griffey because of his injuries. I hated us trading for him as soon as it was announced. [/b]

i wouldnt really say griffey is playing good ball the past month and a half. he is hitting 269 in July and hit 205 in June. He has 3 HRs and 13 RBIs in July. He is playing better than what his norm has been this year but i wouldnt consider it good. he hit 255 and 250 in april and may. he is 1 HR and 3 RBIs from having his monthly total high be in July this season. So he is hitting a little better, but far from good. He is having a good week. He is in the midst of a 7 game hitting streak and hitting 346 in that span. Before the hit streak this past week he only had 3 or 4 games worth a shit.

And Griffeys contract does make a huge difference. Even the brewers gm was quoted as saying a small/mid market team cant win if they are going to pay guys like Santana, Vlad and shit. This was after they traded for CC, knowing they are going to lose him in FA this offseason because they cant afford to resign him and stay competitive.[/quote]
nothing beats enjoying the insights of Doogie Houser, GM.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='681259' date='Jul 25 2008, 06:57 AM']Oh for gods sake.

Since when did batting .318 over a 10 game stint become RED HOT. :lol: Only in the mind of a griffey fan i guess. :lol:[/quote]

Who exactly said he was red hot?

If you don't think having griff with a 1.035 OPS > .772 OPS will make a difference for this team down the stretch, you're a bigger moron than I'd already assumed. And that's quite difficult.

I'll leave you and the teenage GM to your circle jerk now. There's a reason I rarely post in this arena. Thanks to you both for reminding me why.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='681280' date='Jul 24 2008, 05:41 PM']nothing beats enjoying the insights of Doogie Houser, GM.[/quote]

oh so we cant have opinions? go fuck urself u stupid piece of shit. u come in here and talk shit but dont bring ANYTHING to the conversation. what exactly did i say that was wrong? you must be jim bowdens son u fucking faggot.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='681321' date='Jul 25 2008, 11:42 AM']oh so we cant have opinions? go fuck urself u stupid piece of shit. u come in here and talk shit but dont bring ANYTHING to the conversation. what exactly did i say that was wrong? you must be jim bowdens son u fucking faggot.[/quote]
I'm sure you had Griffey's entire carrer plotted at the ripe old age of what? 14? And knew exactly what was going to happen from that point on in Griffey's career.

The Reds should have just hired you as the great teen GM.

You knew it then. You had it all plotted out. You prolly could have told us on which date, which hamstring would give way.

Right.

Tell me, did you know Barry Bonds' head was going to grow 17 sizes, too? Or did his steroid usage inhibit the abilities of your amazing crystal ball?

Im starting to agree more and more with Thurman and BGwilly on the griffey front. Griffey is probably my all time favorite player, but at this point in time I would pay him maybe 5 million to do what he does, not 14 million or whatever the fuck we are paying him...he just isnt worth it anymore. As for his defense, yeah he plays good D for a 38 year old, but any 25-35 year old would play just as good as him besides a guy like Dunn. Griffey at best will end this year batting .250 with 25 homers, and thats something you could by paying a guy 2 mil a year not 15 mil. I love Griffey and I tend to disagree when people rip on him for not trying hard, cause I think he tries hard for a 38 year old, but at this point in time we dont need him. Im glad I got to see him hit 600 as a Red, but I dont care to watch him anymore just to see him eclipse a few milestones, ill be more than happy to see him hit 650 or whatever he gets up to on a different team. Now if hes willing to take a huge pay cut, and hit in the number 6 or 7 spot for us thats fine with me, but Im not paying a guy 10+ mil to hit .240 in the 3 spot.

Now as for the whole wishing he would have traded for him in the beginning, I am glad we have had Jr. the past 8 years no matter what anyone says. He didnt hold us back from being a playoff team the last 8 years, we have had plenty of other problems. I would much rather be looking back saying we had JR for 8 years and even though he didnt perform like a hall of famer im glad we had him, rather then him going on to hit 800 homers for seattle and having to think about what if we would have got him. Im glad I got to see him hit 400, 500, and 600 in a reds jersey. Things didnt turn out to be exactly what I thought they would be when we traded for him, but he didnt single handedly cost us a shot at anything the last 8 years.

Anyways, lets let Griffey ride the year out, let him know that we probably arent gonna resign him unless he takes a huge paycut, and when he plays his last game in Cincy in September the Reds should give him what he deserves with an exit as if he were retiring.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='681328' date='Jul 24 2008, 08:55 PM']I'm sure you had Griffey's entire carrer plotted at the ripe old age of what? 14? And knew exactly what was going to happen from that point on in Griffey's career.

The Reds should have just hired you as the great teen GM.

You knew it then. You had it all plotted out. You prolly could have told us on which date, which hamstring would give way.

Right.

Tell me, did you know Barry Bonds' head was going to grow 17 sizes, too? Or did his steroid usage inhibit the abilities of your amazing crystal ball?[/quote]

when did i say i knew when griffey would get hurt? i said [b]I DIDNT EXPECT HIM TO GET HURT[/b]. are you mother fucking stupid? i expected his career to end quicker than the normal player because he played at a higher level sooner and played at an intensity higher than most in MLB history when in seattle. i.e. jumping and diving into walls and the ground after hits.

also i said when he was at the end of his time in seattle his average went down significantly (20 points) and he had been playing in the majors for a long time considering he started in the majors way earlier than most players and beat the shit out of himself in the field.

what does bonds have to do with anything?

you really are a dipshit.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='681348' date='Jul 25 2008, 01:08 PM']when did i say i knew when griffey would get hurt? i said [b]I DIDNT EXPECT HIM TO GET HURT[/b]. are you mother fucking stupid? i expected his career to end quicker than the normal player because he played at a higher level sooner and played at an intensity higher than most in MLB history when in seattle. i.e. jumping and diving into walls and the ground after hits.

also i said when he was at the end of his time in seattle his average went down significantly (20 points) and he had been playing in the majors for a long time considering he started in the majors way earlier than most players and beat the shit out of himself in the field.
[b]
what does bonds have to do with anything?[/b]

you really are a dipshit.[/quote]
And you said the trade wasn't worth it unless the guy was a gold glover. Which of course Jr was for the entire decade before he arrived in Cincy. I'm sure as a young lad you had also projected Jr's BA and HR numbers over the next decade. Like I said, the Reds should just hire you. They'd have won another 10 world series titles for sure.

[center][img]http://theintvduals.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/doogie-howser-md.jpg[/img]
[b]Don't sign Junior. His body will break down early![/b][/center]

On Bonds- I just figured that since you could see so well into the future for Jr, you could do it for balloon head as well. It's not like he didn't start his career young. I was watching him in A ball 23 years ago.

You're full of nothing but bullshit and hindsight. Mainly bullshit. As usual.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='681351' date='Jul 24 2008, 10:18 PM']And you said the trade wasn't worth it unless the guy was a gold glover. Which of course Jr was for the entire decade before he arrived in Cincy. I'm sure as a young lad you had also projected Jr's BA and HR numbers over the next decade. Like I said, the Reds should just hire you. They'd have won another 10 world series titles for sure.

[center][img]http://theintvduals.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/doogie-howser-md.jpg[/img]
[b]Don't sign Junior. His body will break down early![/b][/center]

On Bonds- I just figured that since you could see so well into the future for Jr, you could do it for balloon head as well. It's not like he didn't start his career young. I was watching him in A ball 23 years ago.

You're full of nothing but bullshit and hindsight. Mainly bullshit. As usual.[/quote]

if griffey did roids then he would have stayed around longer and been healthier. hindsight? if i was using hindsight then i wouldnt be saying ANYTHING that i said. griffey hit like 277 with 30 HRs or something last year at age 37. i projected him to be below those on average when he was 34. so if i used hindsight then id be as dumb as u because id be wrong.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='681347' date='Jul 24 2008, 10:07 PM']Im starting to agree more and more with Thurman and BGwilly on the griffey front. Griffey is probably my all time favorite player, but at this point in time I would pay him maybe 5 million to do what he does, not 14 million or whatever the fuck we are paying him...he just isnt worth it anymore. As for his defense, yeah he plays good D for a 38 year old, but any 25-35 year old would play just as good as him besides a guy like Dunn. Griffey at best will end this year batting .250 with 25 homers, and thats something you could by paying a guy 2 mil a year not 15 mil. I love Griffey and I tend to disagree when people rip on him for not trying hard, cause I think he tries hard for a 38 year old, but at this point in time we dont need him. Im glad I got to see him hit 600 as a Red, but I dont care to watch him anymore just to see him eclipse a few milestones, ill be more than happy to see him hit 650 or whatever he gets up to on a different team. Now if hes willing to take a huge pay cut, and hit in the number 6 or 7 spot for us thats fine with me, but Im not paying a guy 10+ mil to hit .240 in the 3 spot.

Now as for the whole wishing he would have traded for him in the beginning, I am glad we have had Jr. the past 8 years no matter what anyone says. He didnt hold us back from being a playoff team the last 8 years, we have had plenty of other problems. I would much rather be looking back saying we had JR for 8 years and even though he didnt perform like a hall of famer im glad we had him, rather then him going on to hit 800 homers for seattle and having to think about what if we would have got him. Im glad I got to see him hit 400, 500, and 600 in a reds jersey. Things didnt turn out to be exactly what I thought they would be when we traded for him, but he didnt single handedly cost us a shot at anything the last 8 years.

[b]Anyways, lets let Griffey ride the year out, let him know that we probably arent gonna resign him unless he takes a huge paycut, and when he plays his last game in Cincy in September the Reds should give him what he deserves with an exit as if he were retiring.[/b][/quote]

fair enough for the non bolded part... at least you have an unbiased approach to this... although I think you are underestimating Griffey's defense... He obviously doesn't have the speed he used to, but his strength is (and always has been) his incredible instincts as far as cutting the balls off and making the first step correctly... Most RF's (including Bruce) do not have that, although Bruce could be a better OF'er right now... but then we are depending on patterson in CF :nasty:

however, for your bolded part, I think you need to reread who you are "agreeing" with... they want us to trade them this year... i agree that we let him go (and not pick up the extra year) next year, but for this year, I want him to play out the rest of the year because we don't have anyone that is better than him... I know Hairston will need a place to play when he gets back, but with his injury history, I don't want to depend on him and watch God knows who play if he gets hurt again...

now on the Thurman "the quitter" munster.... Thurman, did you say that you have given up on this year? Are you for real, are you that big of a quitter that you don't see that we are still in this? Is it a slim chance? Yes, but it IS a chance and to give up on it for the BS that we would get in a griffey trade is amazing... It is almost unanimous that two teams will come out of the central...

What if the reds go on a 10 or 15 game winning streak? Then we are right back in the thick of things... and don't act like it isn't possible... we are almost at 500 right now, with our ace having his worst year of his career... we all know that Harrang is a stud and he is coming back soon... Arroyo is pitching as well as I've ever seen him pitch the past few games... We are about to get our spark plug back (hairston)... we are playing good baseball finally, ready to go on a roll, and you are ready to give up? You better explain yourself...

Archived