Dunn traded to Diamondbacks

CTA513

[quote][b]Diamondbacks acquire Adam Dunn from Reds[/b]
August 11th, 2008 @ 10:57am by Tyler Bassett/Sports 620 KTAR, John Gambadoro/Sports 620 KTAR

[b]Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro reports the Arizona Diamondbacks have acquired outfielder Adam Dunn from the Cincinnati Reds. [/b]

The Diamondbacks have Monday off, but start a NL West series in Colorado on Tuesday night.

Dunn is expected to start in right field.

[b]The Diamondbacks are giving up three prospects in the deal, minor league pitcher Dallas Buck and two other players to be named later. [/b]

Dunn has 32 home runs in 2008 with 74 RBI. His average this season is .233. He has 270 home runs in his career, currently in his eighth Major League season, spending his entire career in Cincinnati.

Dunn has hit 40 or more home runs the past four seasons and is on pace to eclipse that mark again this season. He has also struck out 165 times or more in those seasons, currently with 120 this season.

The Diamondbacks will now have three of the top five strikeout leaders in the National League. Mark Reynolds is second with 147 and Chris Young is third with 122.

Throughout his career in the big leagues Dunn has played either corner outfield position while also getting some time in at first base. He has not played first base since the 2006 season and that was only in two games.

The Diamondbacks have seen their NL West lead shrink to a-game-and-a-half over the Los Angeles Dodgers.

[b]Source: [/b]http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=22&sid=930425[/quote]

The reds are foking cheap.

We just dumped the guy that leads the league in homeruns and got nothing in return. Besides a salary dump.

If i believed the reds would use the Money from griffey and dunn to bring real players to the team i wouldnt mind this so much.

But im predicting the reds will probably end up spending much less next year than they had this year.

I can't believe how little they would be taking for Dunn. Buck, the 'marquee' name in the return package, was a 3rd round pick whose wikipedia page says "may have Tommy John surgery." Why wouldn't you just offer him arbitration - he'll refuse - and get a comp pick between the first and second rounds? Instead we'll get a former 3rd round pick out of college who is still in A ball and has a bum elbow. For my money, when you take a guy from college and it takes him two years to get out of A ball, there's very little hope. Thus is the case with Drew Stubbs. And I hate it when 'players to be named later' are called 'prospects.' They're really just warm bodies for the minor league teams.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='686344' date='Aug 11 2008, 02:01 PM']Either way we are gonna have like 30 mil to spend this offseason, if we dont bring in a really good 3, 4, or 5 hitter im gonna be pissed.[/quote]

but how much is going to be out there to grab and who will we have to outbid to get it?

IMO, this was a bad move.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='686341' date='Aug 11 2008, 01:59 PM']I can't believe how little they would be taking for Dunn. Buck, the 'marquee' name in the return package, was a 3rd round pick whose wikipedia page says "may have Tommy John surgery." Why wouldn't you just offer him arbitration - he'll refuse - and get a comp pick between the first and second rounds? Instead we'll get a former 3rd round pick out of college who is still in A ball and has a bum elbow. For my money, when you take a guy from college and it takes him two years to get out of A ball, there's very little hope. Thus is the case with Drew Stubbs. And I hate it when 'players to be named later' are called 'prospects.' They're really just warm bodies for the minor league teams.[/quote]

um, what were u reading? and i guess u dont understand PTBNL. dallas buck HAD the tommy john and came back and is throwing harder and better than he ever has. this guy has the ability to be a DAMN good SP. He would have been a top end 1st round pick if he didnt get hurt before the draft. and the PTBNL arent warm bodies. there are a list of prospects we can choose from, but we chose to scout them longer and decide in the offseason rather than pick now. jocketty is going to go watch some of these prospects play in person and send our scouts to do a 2nd report on them and then we are going to choose which ones we want. they will be FAR from warm bodies. they will be solid to good prospects. when i heard we got dallas buck i was happy. only guy better would have been max but no way in hell were we going to get him by giving up dunn.

this is a good trade for the reds.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='686354' date='Aug 11 2008, 03:29 PM']um, what were u reading? and i guess u dont understand PTBNL. dallas buck HAD the tommy john and came back and is throwing harder and better than he ever has. this guy has the ability to be a DAMN good SP. He would have been a top end 1st round pick if he didnt get hurt before the draft. and the PTBNL arent warm bodies. there are a list of prospects we can choose from, but we chose to scout them longer and decide in the offseason rather than pick now. jocketty is going to go watch some of these prospects play in person and send our scouts to do a 2nd report on them and then we are going to choose which ones we want. they will be FAR from warm bodies. they will be solid to good prospects. when i heard we got dallas buck i was happy. only guy better would have been max but no way in hell were we going to get him by giving up dunn.

[b]this is a good trade for the reds.[/b][/quote]

Even better trade for Dunn

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='686366' date='Aug 11 2008, 02:49 PM']dont hate this, we need pitching and they went and good a good prospect, this year is Dunn (punn intented) and if they dont resign him (which is possible i'd think) we can get him back next year.[/quote]

while you can never have too much pitching, our outfield is now extremely thin.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='686370' date='Aug 11 2008, 02:56 PM']while you can never have too much pitching, our outfield is now extremely thin.[/quote]

true but how many OF's has this team brough up over recent years that have played well?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='686366' date='Aug 11 2008, 02:49 PM']dont hate this, we need pitching and they went and good a good prospect, this year is Dunn (punn intented) and if they dont resign him (which is possible i'd think) we can get him back next year.[/quote]

Some may say a team always needs pitching, but we already have the personnel in place to staff a whole rotation for a while (assuming an offseason of rest will bring back the old Harang), and this team simply can't score runs.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='686373' date='Aug 11 2008, 02:59 PM']Some may say a team always needs pitching, but we already have the personnel in place to staff a whole rotation for a while (assuming an offseason of rest will bring back the old Harang), and this team simply can't score runs.[/quote]

and have u seen what u can trade pitching for? stock on pitching. until our rotation is READY to compete it doesnt matter. we have a lot of VERY talented young arms. get them going get them up, trade 1 or 2 off. u can always get hitting at the deadline. u cant always get pitching.

You guys clearly know much more about baseball than I do from reading your posts but to me it seems like the Reds are cutting off their nose to spite their face. They don't have many players who can drive in runs and they just got rid of two.....I don't know much(anything) about Buck, but I do know you NEVER get a good pitcher for a good hitter. This trade just seems odd to me for some reason, I dunno...

[quote name='sigshoota' post='686380' date='Aug 11 2008, 04:09 PM']You guys clearly know much more about baseball than I do from reading your posts but to me it seems like the Reds are cutting off their nose to spite their face. They don't have many players who can drive in runs and they just got rid of two.....I don't know much(anything) about Buck,[b] but I do know you NEVER get a good pitcher for a good hitter[/b]. This trade just seems odd to me for some reason, I dunno...[/quote]

volquez for hamilton?

This is further proof that Dunn's trade value amongst the people whose opinion matters (MLB General Managers), is extremely low. It's my opinion that Walt Jockety had NO intention of re-signing Dunn this offseason. So with that knowledge, he took what he could get for Dunn, which wasn't much. It's not like he traded Dunn who still had years left on a signed deal.

I had read several articles this year that said that there was little to no interest in aquiring Dunn by ANY team. Yes he has power, and yes he gets on base......but he's also one of the worst outfielders in the leauge, and he has rarely (and I mean rarely) been a clutch hitter, nor has he hit for a decent average since his rookie year, and he is another non-hustling cancer that this team had to remove.

So what I am saying here is....I agree that we may not have gotten much for the guy, but there wasn't shit available for him. Those of you who think we could have done better....I ask with who and for what? NOBODY would have given up a top 20 prospect to rent Dunn for 3 months. Nobody. I'll trust Jocketty and his track record on this one.

**edit** I did forget about the possibility of 2 first round draft picks for him if he left as a free agent. So I am very very curious who the other players to be named are.

Trading JR and Dunn will be very good moves IFFF we go out and sign big FA or 2. If we dont we wont win shit next year, even though we have a good young core. We need that 3 4 or 5 hitter that can bat .300 with 30 homers and 115 rbis consistently, I just dont know if he is out there in this years FA pool. But whoever is out there we need to get.

I feel sorry for Phillips.

He has nobody left. In the middle of his prime and the franchise he's playing for just proclaimed a "start over" Which always takes 2-3 yrs mininum before anything significant happens.

This also makes the Giant over-rated CORDERO contract seem like a WASTE of money as well.

Archived