Here is what I saw

DISCLAIMER: I am not terribly smart at football. Let me know where I fail.

Defense had a good first half. I am happy with the pressure they got when they blitzed. Flacco just made some good decisions.
Palmer needs to throw on the run better. With any pressure, he just folds. He is not cool in the pocket, he needs to keep his head up.
JonJo is awesome. Great coverage, hitting, instincts. Player of the game for Cinci.
CP needs to make better decisions at the line. If you see blitz, have a hot route ready.
I was happy with the run blocking. The lack of a passing game was the killer. I hope that more reps will fix this.
Carson is obviously not comfortable in the pocket. He either needs to get comfortable or he needs to throw quicker passes. I guess this could be a playcalling issue.
Seems like we need to work on the fumbles. Concentration issues? Lots of mistakes from the new starters.
Field position was great.
Flacco showed more poise than Carson. They don't have a better OL. I don't know if this is something that Carson can improve.
Defense was tired at the end of the game. I think that really affected the final, clock killing drive.
Carson is money when he has all day to throw, he needs to become more effective against the blitz.

Thanks all, I hope this is good analysis. I watched the game very closely at work today. Hope next week is better.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='698407' date='Sep 8 2008, 04:44 PM']I think it's impossible to overestimate the mental affect that tackle had on Carson.[/quote]

Man Carson is one of my all time fav's but I just finished watching the game again and he did not look good at all ! He had time on a lot of those throws and was way off, maybe timing I don't know but damn he looked confused. The team didn't play good as a whole, but if carson doesn't improve we have no chance. He has to quit locking in on his 1st option.

In saying that I have little doubt he will throw for 350 yards Sunday and we will beat Tenn !

[quote name='Ochosucko' post='698423' date='Sep 8 2008, 05:11 PM']Wasn't the wind a factor? At the beginning of the game they said winds were as high as 45 mph. Wouldn't that effect Carson's throwing? Maybe the reason why Flacco never threw down field except one time when JJ knocked the pass down.[/quote]

at the beginning of the game they said there was little to no wind at all, and I never really ever saw it pick up. Wind was not an issue.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698456' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:34 PM']at the beginning of the game they said there was little to no wind at all, and I never really ever saw it pick up. Wind was not an issue.[/quote]

Shayne Graham did not kick the ball out of the end zone without the aid of wind. The broadcasters even pointed out wind when he was getting ready to kick. He also kicked into a pretty strong wind on his field goal, the ball was pretty wobbly on the way in.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='698463' date='Sep 8 2008, 06:52 PM']Shayne Graham did not kick the ball out of the end zone without the aid of wind. The broadcasters even pointed out wind when he was getting ready to kick. He also kicked into a pretty strong wind on his field goal, the ball was pretty wobbly on the way in.[/quote]

shayne's opening kick off didn't even make it to the 5yd line. There was a light breeze on the FG, but nothing I'd call major. Even still, that's a FG, not a pass.

[quote name='sois' post='698405' date='Sep 8 2008, 05:41 PM']DISCLAIMER: I am not terribly smart at football. Let me know where I fail.

Defense had a good first half. I am happy with the pressure they got when they blitzed. Flacco just made some good decisions.
Palmer needs to throw on the run better. With any pressure, he just folds. He is not cool in the pocket, he needs to keep his head up.
JonJo is awesome. Great coverage, hitting, instincts. Player of the game for Cinci.
CP needs to make better decisions at the line. If you see blitz, have a hot route ready.
I was happy with the run blocking. The lack of a passing game was the killer. I hope that more reps will fix this.
Carson is obviously not comfortable in the pocket. He either needs to get comfortable or he needs to throw quicker passes. I guess this could be a playcalling issue.
Seems like we need to work on the fumbles. Concentration issues? Lots of mistakes from the new starters.
Field position was great.
Flacco showed more poise than Carson. They don't have a better OL. I don't know if this is something that Carson can improve.
Defense was tired at the end of the game. I think that really affected the final, clock killing drive.
Carson is money when he has all day to throw, he needs to become more effective against the blitz.

Thanks all, I hope this is good analysis. I watched the game very closely at work today. Hope next week is better.[/quote]

Pretty good assessment....but to me it is pretty simple. I saw a team that was not ready to play football on offense...they were just completely out of sync...just like all of preseason.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='698470' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:07 PM']Pretty good assessment....but to me it is pretty simple. I saw a team that was not ready to play football on offense...they were just completely out of sync...just like all of preseason.[/quote]

I don't think they were as much out of sync as they just didn't have any fire. This team showed NO intensity yesterday.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='698463' date='Sep 8 2008, 06:52 PM']Shayne Graham did not kick the ball out of the end zone without the aid of wind. The broadcasters even pointed out wind when he was getting ready to kick. He also kicked into a pretty strong wind on his field goal, the ball was pretty wobbly on the way in.[/quote]

Shayne was the man or lucky on that kick. That ball moved quite a bit, great job. Kudos to the camera angle as well.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698504' date='Sep 8 2008, 08:48 PM']was there a fire, swagger, and intensity that I missed? Please, feel free to elaborate on your wordy post.[/quote]

Yeah, I think there was. I saw guys get up into peoples faces. I saw Zimmer about rip Jones (?) a new asshole on an incomplete pass. Several people have commented on D-Jax making an ass out of himself. I saw a couple guys go after Bart Scott.

Really the only difference in this ball game and last years is the Ravens didn't hand the offense 6 TOs.

Rex Ryan owns Brat is pretty much the story of the game, but I don't question the attitude of the team or coaches in this one.

[quote name='scharm' post='698510' date='Sep 8 2008, 09:03 PM']Yeah, I think there was. I saw guys get up into peoples faces. I saw Zimmer about rip Jones (?) a new asshole on an incomplete pass. Several people have commented on D-Jax making an ass out of himself. I saw a couple guys go after Bart Scott.

Really the only difference in this ball game and last years is the Ravens didn't hand the offense 6 TOs.

Rex Ryan owns Brat is pretty much the story of the game, but I don't question the attitude of the team or coaches in this one.[/quote]
You mean Willie Anderson owns Brat!

That huddling around Willie during the game was more more than coincidence. It was the main reason IMO why the Ravens came up trumps on D during the game. If Willie wasn't on the sidelines giving away half our playbook, do you really think their D would play that well against us? Probably good, but not that good. Even though our O was out of sync, I think they would have converted alot more plays than they did, particularly the shovel pass (which seemed a little bit too easy to stop, like the Ravens knew the formation from their own playbook).

[quote name='scharm' post='698510' date='Sep 8 2008, 09:03 PM']Yeah, I think there was. I saw guys get up into peoples faces. I saw Zimmer about rip Jones (?) a new asshole on an incomplete pass. Several people have commented on D-Jax making an ass out of himself. I saw a couple guys go after Bart Scott.

Rex Ryan owns Brat is pretty much the story of the game, but I don't question the attitude of the team or coaches in this one.[/quote]

I'll give you the defense, but there was no fire or intensity on the offense.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698603' date='Sep 9 2008, 07:42 AM']I'll give you the defense, but there was no fire or intensity on the offense.[/quote]
Does Chad having that slump-shouldered, woe-is-me look count?
Maybe TJ calling for a flag every time the ball got near him?

[quote name='brian55662' post='698613' date='Sep 9 2008, 08:38 AM']The offense just wasn't on the same page. They better hurry up or this will be a long frustrating season. Palmer needs more time. My question is why we didn't run in plays that allow Carson to role out? He is actually good throwing on the run.[/quote]

The seasons not over yet. Ryan out schemed the Bengals . Lesson learned .The question is ; How will the Bengals react .

Archived