Which FA philosophy do you subscribe to?

What should the Bengals do  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want them to (multiple choices can be selected):

• to sign that high-priced FA just to make a statement of intent
    • just lay back and see how the market unfolds
    • sign lower cost FAs to plug more holes
    • just do something for x-mas sake
    • do nothing and go to war with what we have
    • spend money like other teams (Redskins, Giants) do
    • keep those money reserves as we always do
    • sign over-the hill guys if they're still productive
    • sign young guys with upside if they're available
    • bring in a FA general manager

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='752467' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:11 PM']the draft is for the bricks, free agency is for the mortar.[/quote]
Brilliant!

I chose sign young guys with upside, lower cost guys for depth, and get a GM.

I would have also chosen "over pay for someone once every 4-5 years if he can bring your team to the next level."

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='752510' date='Mar 3 2009, 03:02 PM']Brilliant!

I chose sign young guys with upside, lower cost guys for depth, and get a GM.

I would have also chosen "over pay for someone once every 4-5 years if he can bring your team to the next level."[/quote]

Marvin brought a great deal of credibility when he got here. Guys wanted to come play for Marvin, regardless of where. End of '05 his cache was at its highest. Each year since has erroded it. Seems the Bengals are almost back to Siberian status. Hence, I agree with Squirrlnutz, just once a freaking leapyear it would be nice to make a statement. Give the fans an inkling that the organization is at least interested in winning a playoff game.

Use free agency to fill holes on the team so you can draft for talent.

The more holes you have, the less you can spend on 1 player.

If we were "1 player away" I would have no problem with going all out for a blue chipper. We are not 1 player away.

Not like it matters what I think though, this team will mostly pursue 3rd tier FAs with an occasional 2nd tier guy.

That's the way this team has always been, and it has never changed. It never ceases to amaze me how many people get upset because the Bengals are doing what they have always done.

You should know better by now.

Think in terms of marginal utility. The draft provides cheap player (apart from the top of the first round). FA provides relatively expensive players. Every team essentially has the same amount of money to allocate, viewed over a long time frame. My view is that the high draft picks should be taken for safety, since having a first or second round bust hurts. The mid to lower round picks can be drafted for upside so boom or bust type guys are fine there. FA should be used primarily to fill in holes in the lineup or for quality upgrades at positions that impact the game but normally aren't highly paid. The waiver wire is an extension of the draft. Trades are a way to buy at a discount since teams usually are mainly interested in trading guys with issues. So draft guys at higher paid positions and use FA for quality at lower paid positions.

Archived