On this date: April 17, 1999

Stolen from lance's blog:

With the third pick in the NFL draft the Cincinnati Bengals select : Akilli Smith.....and the rest as they say is history.
Bengals president Mike Brown turns down the Saints' offer of eight-to-nine draft picks to trade up with the Bengals. "It was a generous offer, but we felt now is the time to get the quarterback," is what Brown said to explain his decision. -Enquirer

[img]http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/1120/04/1120_1239979411.jpg[/img]
[img]http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/1120/04/1120_1239979370.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Jay Lenos Chin' post='764673' date='Apr 17 2009, 12:13 PM']man i remember that day.
Looking back, the decision to draft smith vs taking all those draft picks
[b]fucked this franchise for years[/b][/quote]

I think its just as likely that they would have wasted the picks on un-worthy players and been just as fucked anyway so it doesn't break me up too much.

[quote name='Lucid' post='764678' date='Apr 17 2009, 11:23 AM']Except where STD's are involved.[/quote]
:D

And I'm over it...out of the 5 "big QB names" involved in '99, 3 were total busts and only one McNabb turned out to be well above average.

Now the trade offer is a whole other thing, but again, I'm over it.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='764682' date='Apr 17 2009, 12:32 PM']I think its just as likely that they would have wasted the picks on un-worthy players and been just as fucked anyway so it doesn't break me up too much.[/quote]

That would have been worth it to not have to watch Akili Smith ever play QB as a Bengal.

To me, it didn't require looking back. I didn't like it that day.

I never liked Akili Smith to start with - I'm not too keen on players that are 1 year wonders... and he was the definition of it.

I don't give a shit who is on the board - if a team wants to give me their whole draft this year for my 6th pick where do I sign?

That goes for any year.

[quote name='mtrbur' post='764676' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:20 AM']meh, the past is the past[/quote]

Problem with the whole "past is in the past" argument... The decision maker who made that past mistake is still making the decisions and Mike Browns doesn't seem to be one to learn from past mistakes.

I support the decision. If you think you have a shot at adding a franchise Qb, you better not let it pass.

Passing the trade, I don't get upset about. It's really the swinging and missing on Akili Smith that is the upsetting part with a capable not great QB in Jeff Blake in hand.

[quote name='scharm' post='764716' date='Apr 17 2009, 11:08 AM']I support the decision. If you think you have a shot at adding a franchise Qb, you better not let it pass.

Passing the trade, I don't get upset about. It's really the swinging and missing on Akili Smith that is the upsetting part with a capable not great QB in Jeff Blake in hand.[/quote]

You have to be kidding... Do you know how often a team is willing to give up 8-9 picks for one draft pick? Its just doesn't happen and we missed it. It could have set this team into a totally different direction. And that isn't hindsight, that's a fact. They could have used a number of those picks to get back into the first and get one of the other QBs if that was an absolute need. The depth and cumulative level of talent that could have been gained would have made this franchise a whole different animal.

[quote name='scharm' post='764716' date='Apr 17 2009, 01:08 PM']I support the decision. If you think you have a shot at adding a franchise Qb, you better not let it pass.

Passing the trade, I don't get upset about. It's really the swinging and missing on Akili Smith that is the upsetting part with a capable not great QB in Jeff Blake in hand.[/quote]

That's my feeling too.

[quote name='BengalsRule85' post='764734' date='Apr 17 2009, 01:47 PM']You have to be kidding... Do you know how often a team is willing to give up 8-9 picks for one draft pick? Its just doesn't happen and we missed it. It could have set this team into a totally different direction. And that isn't hindsight, that's a fact. They could have used a number of those picks to get back into the first and get one of the other QBs if that was an absolute need. The depth and cumulative level of talent that could have been gained would have made this franchise a whole different animal.[/quote]

The Redksins took those picks. They never won any Super Bowl,
or even made it to the Super Bowl, from that deal.

Plus, if you think the problem is the "one making the decisions",
then what makes you think he wouldn't have just screwed up more?

Oh yeah Ben, remind me to make threads next year on January 7th and 8th.
So we can reminisce about the Buckeyes and their National Championship games.

And I can post a thread here on January 8th too, and we can all re-live Carson
being Von Kneecapped.

OK?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='764739' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:58 PM']That's my feeling too.

The Redksins took those picks. They never won any Super Bowl,
or even made it to the Super Bowl, from that deal.

Plus, if you think the problem is the "one making the decisions",
then what makes you think he wouldn't have just screwed up more?[/quote]

I'd take 8 or 9 screwed up picks rather than having to watch Akili ever play a game in a Bengals uniform.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='764751' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:11 PM']I'd take 8 or 9 screwed up picks rather than having to watch Akili ever play a game in a Bengals uniform.[/quote]

Hindsight. If he had played like Carson, you wouldn't be saying that.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='764747' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:07 PM']Oh yeah Ben, remind me to make threads next year on January 7th and 8th.
So we can reminisce about the Buckeyes and their National Championship games.

And I can post a thread here on January 8th too, and we can all re-live Carson
being Von Kneecapped.

OK?[/quote]

Added a reminder to my outlook calendar. Thanks!!!!!

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='764760' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:21 PM']Bullshit. There were red flags out the wazoo on Akili and the pick should never have been made by a competent person.[/quote]

Wait, you went in a totally different direction than what I said. hahaha

But OK.

[quote name='Ben' post='764767' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:28 PM']Added a reminder to my outlook calendar. Thanks!!!!![/quote]

No, thank you for adding a reminder!!!!!!

[quote name='oldschooler' post='764739' date='Apr 17 2009, 11:58 AM']Plus, if you think the problem is the "one making the decisions",
then what makes you think he wouldn't have just screwed up more?[/quote]

A blind squirrel finds a nut ever once and awhile... See Carson Palmer.

For Mikey to make a true successful pick... The more chances at it the better.

[quote name='BengalsRule85' post='764784' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:50 PM']A blind squirrel finds a nut ever once and awhile... See Carson Palmer.

For Mikey to make a true successful pick... The more chances at it the better.[/quote]

So maybe he thought he was finding a nut with Akili.

You have the luxury of having access to the results.
Back in 1999, Mike Brown didn't.

And Mike has made plenty of successful picks.
But using your logic, he just had more chances to screw up.
Not add depth and gain a cumulative level of talent.

Really, you can't have it both ways.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='764787' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:56 PM']So maybe he thought he was finding a nut with Akili.

You have the luxury of having access to the results.
Back in 1999, Mike Brown didn't.

And Mike has made plenty of successful picks.
But using your logic, he just had more chances to screw up.
Not add depth and gain a cumulative level of talent.

Really, you can't have it both ways.[/quote]

He isn't having it both ways. He's saying even terrible talent evaluators get lucky sometimes and that Mikey would increase his luck by getting more bites at the apple. Seems perfectly logical to me.

Something tells me that it's wasn't only MB and and Ditka who thought Akili was the real deal.. And I'm sure that even those [i]professional[/i] football minds who disagreed with that assessment wouldn't use the word "incompetent" when referring to those who felt that way..

So when the label "incompetent" describing that opinion comes from some internet fanboy on a message board, it makes them look like a total ass.

My 2¢

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='764791' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:01 PM']He isn't having it both ways. He's saying even terrible talent evaluators get lucky sometimes and that Mikey would increase his luck by getting more bites at the apple. Seems perfectly logical to me.[/quote]

Getting lucky from having more bites at the apple doesn't
equal [b]"The depth and cumulative level of talent that could
have been gained would have made this franchise a whole
different animal."[/b]

It equals, more chances to screw up, and maybe get lucky
once or twice.

But whatever. You all go back 10 years and gnash your teeth and moan.
Sorry to interrupt.

Archived