The BlackJesus December TOP 10 - DRAFT WISH LIST

[quote name='#22' date='30 November 2009 - 02:53 AM' timestamp='1259564028' post='834839']
Like who, exactly? Rivers, Maualuga, Johnson, Frostee, Sims, Joseph, and Hall were all high draft picks and therefore don't count. Peko, Fanene, Chinny, and Robert were all drafted long before Zimmer came here.

Alright, Morgan Trent was a late pick this year, but I wouldn't exactly call him a "star".
[/quote]

I'm sure he was talking some on their old teams. Guys like James Johnston, Bart Scott, etc... I had a nice list once. of examples. They know talent, let's leave it at that.

I don't like Cody at all in the 4-3. But I'm not a huge fan of the 380 pound space wasters either. Peko has the nose tackle spot on lockdown so if we are to draft another DT it would likely be a pass rushing type to rotate in with Sims or Johnson if he's resigned. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a 1st round DT if Johnson is not resigned. I like Arthur Jones, Brian Price and Allen Bailey.

I think the #1 priority has to be linebacker. Whether it be middle if Dhani leaves and they keep Rey at SAM or SAM if Dhani leaves and they move Rey inside. Even if Dhani is re-signed I think they need to bring in another guy because he won't be playing for much longer. You can never have enough talented linebackers. I like MLB Rolando McClain (he'll be long gone probably), OLB Sean Weatherspoon, OLB Sergio Kindle, MLB Brandon Spikes, OLB Brandon Graham, OLB Ricky Sapp and OLB Eric Norwood.

#2 priority is safety. We have some good players, but no real playmakers, and no depth. There are a ton of good safety prospects (including juniors) so we can get a good one in the latter part of round 1. I like Earl Thomas from Texas A LOT. He's a redshirt soph from Texas and is a ballhawking monster. Ed Reed like ball skills. Nate Allen, DeAndre McDaniel, Morgan Burnett and Chad Jones are other options. I don't like Taylor Mays at all. All hype. He just doesn't make plays. 5 career interceptions in 4 years. He misses a lot of tackles because he goes for the big hit and doesn't wrap up. He's huge and will time well but he's nothing but a workout warrior who's decent at football.

I would love to see TE Jermaine Gresham be the first round pick. I know we don't usually use tight ends (seems to me Foschi has been thrown to a lot though) and we just drafted Coffman but Gresham is different. He's a complete tight end. He can block and he's a dangerous receiver. I really doubt it happens though because the team is becoming a power running team. A more likely option is Michael Hoomanawanui, an absolute beast run blocking tight end from Illinois who should be available in the mid rounds.

I wouldn't put DE out of the discussion either for round 1 or 2. Yes we have a bunch of good players, but this draft is STACKED at DE and Rucker can definitely be upgraded (I think he's a free agent though). Also, who knows if Odom comes back as effective as before? I like Greg Hardy, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen and Greg Romeus.

It's funny that a majority of the needs we have on our defense, even though the D has been carrying the team so far. I don't know what could be upgraded on the offense... tight end definitely, I could see drafting a LT if a good one drops, maybe a RB if LJ isn't resigned? I do not think receiver is an option at all. They have not given up on Simpson, and we still have Chad, Coles, Henry, Caldwell, Cosby and Purify signed for next year.

agree on DE depth akili. A guy I really like, if he comes out, is Jason Pierre-Paul of South Florida. More potential than his teammate Selvie IMO. Also would love Eric Norwood.

At LB, don't rule out the possibility of Brandon Johnson as a starter, with him taking over WLB or SLB with Rey or Rivers moving inside.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='30 November 2009 - 11:45 AM' timestamp='1259595904' post='834905']
agree on DE depth akili. A guy I really like, if he comes out, is Jason Pierre-Paul of South Florida. More potential than his teammate Selvie IMO. Also would love Eric Norwood.

[b]At LB, don't rule out the possibility of Brandon Johnson as a starter, with him taking over WLB or SLB with Rey or Rivers moving inside.[/b]
[/quote]
Yeah I thought about that and I think we would still need to bring in some more depth since Johnson was our depth guy.

Yeah, I think moving whit back to G and getting a good LT will make this offense better. I'd like to see how Dre is in pass blocking though before I'm sold on it. Maybe our RT is the reason our pass protection is so poor. I saw Whit get beat a few times yesterday though.

Let's hope it gets fixed so we can go BPA.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='30 November 2009 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1259594077' post='834899']
I don't like Cody at all in the 4-3. But I'm not a huge fan of the 380 pound space wasters either. Peko has the nose tackle spot on lockdown so if we are to draft another DT it would likely be a pass rushing type to rotate in with Sims or Johnson if he's resigned. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a 1st round DT if Johnson is not resigned. I like Arthur Jones, Brian Price and Allen Bailey.

I think the #1 priority has to be linebacker. Whether it be middle if Dhani leaves and they keep Rey at SAM or SAM if Dhani leaves and they move Rey inside. Even if Dhani is re-signed I think they need to bring in another guy because he won't be playing for much longer. You can never have enough talented linebackers. I like MLB Rolando McClain (he'll be long gone probably), OLB Sean Weatherspoon, OLB Sergio Kindle, MLB Brandon Spikes, OLB Brandon Graham, OLB Ricky Sapp and OLB Eric Norwood.

#2 priority is safety. We have some good players, but no real playmakers, and no depth. There are a ton of good safety prospects (including juniors) so we can get a good one in the latter part of round 1. I like Earl Thomas from Texas A LOT. He's a redshirt soph from Texas and is a ballhawking monster. Ed Reed like ball skills. Nate Allen, DeAndre McDaniel, Morgan Burnett and Chad Jones are other options. I don't like Taylor Mays at all. All hype. He just doesn't make plays. 5 career interceptions in 4 years. He misses a lot of tackles because he goes for the big hit and doesn't wrap up. He's huge and will time well but he's nothing but a workout warrior who's decent at football.

I would love to see TE Jermaine Gresham be the first round pick. I know we don't usually use tight ends (seems to me Foschi has been thrown to a lot though) and we just drafted Coffman but Gresham is different. He's a complete tight end. He can block and he's a dangerous receiver. I really doubt it happens though because the team is becoming a power running team. A more likely option is Michael Hoomanawanui, an absolute beast run blocking tight end from Illinois who should be available in the mid rounds.

I wouldn't put DE out of the discussion either for round 1 or 2. Yes we have a bunch of good players, but this draft is STACKED at DE and Rucker can definitely be upgraded (I think he's a free agent though). Also, who knows if Odom comes back as effective as before? I like Greg Hardy, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen and Greg Romeus.

It's funny that a majority of the needs we have on our defense, even though the D has been carrying the team so far. I don't know what could be upgraded on the offense... tight end definitely, I could see drafting a LT if a good one drops, maybe a RB if LJ isn't resigned? I do not think receiver is an option at all. They have not given up on Simpson, and we still have Chad, Coles, Henry, Caldwell, Cosby and Purify signed for next year.
[/quote]

We could use a guard. bobby cant play forever, even if he is resigned.

• 2 months later...

Archived