Steelers Death Watch

With their loss to Cleveland, the Steelers are clinging to a thin life line. This is the first week where they can officially be put out of their misery and officially eliminated from any post-season consideration

The Steelers will be eliminated if the following three things happen:
(1) They lose to Green Bay
(2) Denver beats Oakland (very likely)
(3) Either Jacksonville upsets Indianapolis (unlikely) *or* Baltimore beats Chicago (very likely)

Die Steeelers, Die!

[img]http://conversationswithhoward.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/steelers-logo-copy.jpg[/img]

[quote name='ccartman2' date='19 December 2009 - 11:59 AM' timestamp='1261238354' post='844724']
Thanks for the info. Though the thread title was probably the worst timing of all time considering the events of that day. :)
[/quote]
Please let us know when we can use the word "death" again.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='19 December 2009 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1261252230' post='844771']
i will be rooting for the Steelers when they play the Ravens since most likely the Ravens might win this week. and if we lose then our record would be 9-5 and if the Ravens win then they'll be 8-6! those fuckers are creeping back on us.
[/quote]
Not worried about them at all honestly.

Somebody please reassure me that the Stealers are not going to make the playoffs. The Bengals success this year was going to be all that much sweeter by Hines and Co. being shut of the postseason. Beyond that, I keep having this recurring nightmare (actually it's just a bad daydream) where they come into PBS for the first round of the playoffs AGAIN. And if that happens, we all know that some Bengals player is going to have his season ended in the first quarter by a cheap shot.

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' date='26 December 2009 - 01:23 AM' timestamp='1261805036' post='847457']
[b]Somebody please reassure me that the Stealers are not going to make the playoffs[/b]. The Bengals success this year was going to be all that much sweeter by Hines and Co. being shut of the postseason. Beyond that, I keep having this recurring nightmare (actually it's just a bad daydream) where they come into PBS for the first round of the playoffs AGAIN. And if that happens, we all know that some Bengals player is going to have his season ended in the first quarter by a cheap shot.
[/quote]
"There, there" **pats Bleeds Orange's head**, "it'll be allright. Don't worry, Bunghole will stay with you and keep those nastyfucker Steelers out of the playoffs and your dreams for you..."

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' date='26 December 2009 - 01:23 AM' timestamp='1261805036' post='847457']
Somebody please reassure me that the Stealers are not going to make the playoffs.
[/quote]

Well, they certainly have to win out, and even if they do it gets a little hairy after that. From a guy on [url="http://joenfl.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/18374161/19103739/2"]cbssportsline.com[/url]:

[quote]
Assuming PIT wins out:

PIT has the 2-way tiebreaker on TEN and DEN. PIT will lose any tiebreak involving NYJ or JAC due to conference record. HOU would win a 2-way against PIT with common games. A 3-way with DEN could fall to SoV, which we will assume is not in PIT's favor (I haven't done the math yet, so that could be wrong, but I certainly don't think PIT has clinched the edge over DEN in SoV).

Thus, PIT advances on a tiebreaker if:
1) They are in a 2-way with DEN
2) They are in a 2-way with TEN
3) They are in a 3-way with DEN and TEN
Therefore, for PIT to advance they have to win out and have all but one of the following happen

1) NYJ loses a game
2) JAC loses a game
3) HOU loses a game OR TEN wins out
4) DEN loses out OR DEN loses a game + scenarios 1-3 happen
5) BAL loses to OAK
[/quote]

After a few Bud Lights that shit above is hurting my head, so let's just say fuck it and root for the Ravens. B)

[quote name='CarsonCity' date='26 December 2009 - 02:03 AM' timestamp='1261807398' post='847478']
Well, they certainly have to win out, and even if they do it gets a little hairy after that. From a guy on [url="http://joenfl.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/18374161/19103739/2"]cbssportsline.com[/url]:

[b]2) They are in a 2-way with TEN
3) They are in a 3-way with DEN and TEN[/b]
Therefore, for PIT to advance they have to win out and have all but one of the following happen

1) NYJ loses a game
2) JAC loses a game
3) HOU loses a game OR TEN wins out
5) BAL loses to OAK

After a few Bud Lights that shit above is hurting my head, so let's just say fuck it and root for the Ravens. B)
[/quote]

anything involving TEN isnt a factor, since they lost today right?

so they ahve to tie with denver or beat out denver to make it?

denver better beat philly... they only have KC after that.

i dislike that there is a scenario that gets them in..

Sorry, Bung, I didn't mean to come across as a whiny ass. :D

CC, thanks for that info. If you don't mind, I'm going to repost the quoted part, updated to allow for Tennessee's loss tonight...

[quote]Assuming PIT wins out:

PIT has the 2-way tiebreaker on [s]TEN and[/s] DEN. PIT will lose any tiebreak involving NYJ or JAC due to conference record. HOU would win a 2-way against PIT with common games. A 3-way with DEN could fall to SoV, which we will assume is not in PIT's favor (I haven't done the math yet, so that could be wrong, but I certainly don't think PIT has clinched the edge over DEN in SoV).

[s]2) They are in a 2-way with TEN
3) They are in a 3-way with DEN and TEN[/s]

1) NYJ loses a game
2) JAC loses a game
3) HOU loses a game [s]OR TEN wins out[/s]
5) BAL loses to OAK[/quote]

Oddly, it would appear that there is a scenario where the Bengals could be playing a meaningless game (for them) in Week 17 at the Jets and beat them, thus letting Pittsburgh into the playoffs.

Looking at the above checklist...

1) The Jets aren't likely to win both at Indy and at home to the Bengals.

2) Jacksonville plays at NE this weekend, so a loss by them is not out of the question, by any means.

3) The Texans aren't likely to win both at Miami and at home to NE.

4) Denver isn't likely to win in Philly this weekend.

So while it appears that the Stealers need a lot of things to fall their way, a closer look at each of those things shows that each one has a pretty good chance of happening. And Pittsburgh is the luckiest bunch to ever shit between a pair of shoes, so I don't put anything past them.

[quote name='Hooky' date='19 December 2009 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1261241700' post='844736']
Please let us know when we can use the word "death" again.
[/quote]

I think it has been long enough. Feel free to use the word again. :) Really it was a joke, two days later and I thought the thread was bump worthy, since it was obvious most people hadn't paid attention to it. Anyway, go Jax, and Go Ravens and put those bums out of their misery.

Updating things after Jacksonville's and Denver's losses and the Stealers' and Jets wins...

[quote]Assuming PIT wins [s]out[/s] at Miami next week:

PIT has the 2-way tiebreaker on [s]TEN and[/s] DEN. PIT will lose any tiebreak involving NYJ [s]or JAC[/s] due to conference record. HOU would win a 2-way against PIT with common games. A 3-way with DEN could fall to SoV, which we will assume is not in PIT's favor (I haven't done the math yet, so that could be wrong, but I certainly don't think PIT has clinched the edge over DEN in SoV).

[s]2) They are in a 2-way with TEN
3) They are in a 3-way with DEN and TEN[/s]

Therefore, for PIT to advance they have to win [s]out[/s] at Miami and have all but one of the following happen

1) NYJ loses [s]a game[/s] to the Bengals.
[s]2) JAC loses a game[/s]
3) HOU loses [s]a game OR TEN wins out[/s] at home to New England.
4) DEN loses [s]out[/s] OR [s]DEN loses a game +[/s] scenarios 1-3 happen
5) BAL loses to OAK[/quote]

I'm sure this will be put into simpler terms once the scenarios are published, but I'm thinking we're rooting for a Houston win over New England and at least one win from Denver. A Miami win over the Stealers would do the trick, as well, but that ain't gonna happen.

Archived