Bobbie Williams

I had a chance to chat with the big man the other day. He feels he will still be part of the O line and we are going after WR to help Carson out. He also mentioned Chad is working on a song...something like It's not my baby :blink: lyrics. He also said we are looking at TE. So let's wait and see what happens.

:smoke:

and oh yeah :steelerssuck:

[quote name='STRAYCAT' date='05 February 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1265421635' post='861776']
I had a chance to chat with the big man the other day. He feels he will still be part of the O line and [b]we are going after WR to help Carson out.[/b] He also mentioned Chad is working on a song...something like It's not my baby :blink: lyrics. He also said we are looking at TE. So let's wait and see what happens.

:smoke:

and oh yeah :steelerssuck:
[/quote]

That's not news. Did he say FA or draft?

Same question re TE.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='05 February 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1265422179' post='861779']
chad was with lil wayne and ludacris a lot this past week so him doing a song wouldnt surprise me. im glad to hear bobbie will be back he is still good and he is an awesome guy. dont really care about TE (resign kelly), but glad to hear about WR.
[/quote]

I think hes doing a song with Lil Wayne and Birdman...chad is the newest cash money millionaire.

With regards to TE, I dont see why so many people want Reggie back as the answer to the TE situation. I think Chase might be good, but who knows if he'll be able to block.

We need a guy (not sure if its chase, but hopefully it is) that can be a 3 down TE that can block and catch. We dont need the combination of Reggie and Chase, because im guessing, knowing brat, our percentages of running vs passing would be mimick whether Chase or Reggie was on the field. We need a guy that we can both run and pass with him on the field as TE.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='05 February 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1265423742' post='861784']
I think hes doing a song with Lil Wayne and Birdman...chad is the newest cash money millionaire.

With regards to TE, I dont see why so many people want Reggie back as the answer to the TE situation. I think Chase might be good, but who knows if he'll be able to block.

We need a guy (not sure if its chase, but hopefully it is) that can be a 3 down TE that can block and catch. We dont need the combination of Reggie and Chase, because im guessing, knowing brat, our percentages of running vs passing would be mimick whether Chase or Reggie was on the field. We need a guy that we can both run and pass with him on the field as TE.
[/quote]

there are very few 3 downbadass TE's in the league, so we dont NEED one. no one said reggie is the answer, but reggie is a good blocker and a serviceable catcher, if we had reggie this past year we probably win 2 more games than we did. better blocker, less power line, and slightly better hands than coates and co displayed.

so why wouldnt you bring back a cheap hard working, guy that is instantly better than the two guys who played last year??.

and chase should be fine, he isnt going to come into the year a blocking badass, he will get his lumps on the field, have him block and run to the other side or up the middle, and see how he performs, then take a few shots on his side, etc.. he will have all offseason, camp and preseason to get reps in AGAIN, so two full offseasons to groom and learn... he seems to have a decent work ethic and a good support system to learn as well.

there is no way the team is going to give up on chase and draft a high pick TE. thats not how they do things typically.

reggie is good for chase as well..

reggie+coffman+whomeverthefuck = a great improvement over coates and foschi.

and if you have already improved the position just by health and learning, its unlikely youll spend a high pick to add to it..

i wouldnt be mad if we get a great TE.. but the odds just seem slim.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='05 February 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1265424402' post='861785']
there are very few 3 downbadass TE's in the league, so we dont NEED one. no one said reggie is the answer, but reggie is a good blocker and a serviceable catcher, if we had reggie this past year we probably win 2 more games than we did. better blocker, less power line, and slightly better hands than coates and co displayed.

so why wouldnt you bring back a cheap hard working, guy that is instantly better than the two guys who played last year??.

and chase should be fine, he isnt going to come into the year a blocking badass, he will get his lumps on the field, have him block and run to the other side or up the middle, and see how he performs, then take a few shots on his side, etc.. he will have all offseason, camp and preseason to get reps in AGAIN, so two full offseasons to groom and learn... he seems to have a decent work ethic and a good support system to learn as well.

there is no way the team is going to give up on chase and draft a high pick TE. thats not how they do things typically.

reggie is good for chase as well..

reggie+coffman+whomeverthefuck = a great improvement over coates and foschi.

and if you have already improved the position just by health and learning, its unlikely youll spend a high pick to add to it..

i wouldnt be mad if we get a great TE.. but the odds just seem slim.
[/quote]

Dont get me wrong, I dont really wanna draft one either, I wanna trade for scheffler.

And the reason you dont resign reggie is cause hes like 34 coming off of a turn achilles. Although I would be fine with Reggie, Scheff, and Chase. Scheff for most downs, Reggie for clearly running downs, and Chase for passing downs/2 TE sets.

I think Chase COULD be good, and I really hope he is, but I just dont like the idea of Foschi or a 34 year old coming off of an achilles injury as our best backup plan. I would rather have a proven starter that can block and catch and then a young guy to continue to develop, along with a veteran as the third string guy, not first string.

I think in the past something that has hurt our offense is that we have too many guys who are good at one aspect of either running or passing but not the other. Examples include (Collins, Roland, one would be in for passing downs one for running downs, Reggie Kelly at running ok at passing but nothing special, Chad cant block well but its not that big of a deal, Henry only came in to throw the ball he was just so good it didnt matter he would still get open, Rudi could run great but wasnt a threat at receiving out of the backfield, Leonard/Watson could catch not run well)

I could go on all day, and obviously you arent gonna have 11 guys that are great on running downs and passing downs, but TE is a position where I think it is a HUGE advantage to have one that can play all three downs and block and catch out of the same formations.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='05 February 2010 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1265424853' post='861789']
Dont get me wrong, I dont really wanna draft one either, I wanna trade for scheffler.

And the reason you dont resign reggie is cause hes like 34 coming off of a turn achilles. Although I would be fine with Reggie, Scheff, and Chase. Scheff for most downs, Reggie for clearly running downs, and Chase for passing downs/2 TE sets.

I think Chase COULD be good, and I really hope he is, but I just dont like the idea of Foschi or a 34 year old coming off of an achilles injury as our best backup plan. I would rather have a proven starter that can block and catch and then a young guy to continue to develop, along with a veteran as the third string guy, not first string.

I think in the past something that has hurt our offense is that we have too many guys who are good at one aspect of either running or passing but not the other. Examples include (Collins, Roland, one would be in for passing downs one for running downs, Reggie Kelly at running ok at passing but nothing special, Chad cant block well but its not that big of a deal, Henry only came in to throw the ball he was just so good it didnt matter he would still get open, Rudi could run great but wasnt a threat at receiving out of the backfield, Leonard/Watson could catch not run well)

I could go on all day, and obviously you arent gonna have 11 guys that are great on running downs and passing downs, but TE is a position where I think it is a HUGE advantage to have one that can play all three downs and block and catch out of the same formations.
[/quote]

i would say chase is the backup plan. he still needs to groom.. a veteran great blocking TE with conservative receiving skills is plan A if he returns.. and grooming badass receiving TE while he learns blocking is plan B.

we started the season on plan "FUCK!" this year.. top two guys down and new toy injury and wet behind ears..

its unlikely we trade for shefler, we got trade happy mid year because we had a window of success that was still open and a good blocking TE would take us to the next level RIGHT NOW, but now we have time to groom what we already had, options that were no longer on the table during the season.. a groomed chase and healthy reggie is equal to what we were wanting to trade for, if not better.. and if chase picks up the blocking well enough, then we are already better off.

i think we are on the same page just with different expectations of players performances in 2010...

i think i also hate an early TE pick because its a boring pick, id be stoked over a guard or WR or safety or MLB..

[quote]We dont need the combination of Reggie and Chase, because im guessing, knowing brat, our percentages of running vs passing would be mimick whether Chase or Reggie was on the field. We need a guy that we can both run and pass with him on the field as TE. [/quote]

I believe the bengals want to be a physical football team from top to bottom. They need a Reggie Kelly type TE and they need another TE that is more physical than a 3rd WR but more athletic than a 3rd tackle and better pass catcher than TE #1.

I don't believe this mentality is going to change. They could have went back to the 2005 mindset when the TEs got hurt. Instead they went unbalanced line and had the extra tackle and TE on the field at the same time.

If Andre Smith achieves potential. If Coffman can just show the will and be average at small blocking assignments. Then get a Reggie Kelly type blocker at TE. Cedric Benson is gonna have a huge huge year.

In regards to Bobbie Williams. The Front Office owes the Coaches and locker room not to not play musical chairs along the O-line prior to TC starting. Let them build instead of teach this offseason.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='05 February 2010 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1265424853' post='861789']

[/quote]

I think you re-sign reggie, and go and pick up an experienced guy to be a buffer. I like Ben Watson who you could pick up as an unrestricted FA. You could sign Reggie to a vet-minimum deal with incentives, give Watson the Utecth money, and go to camp with Reggie, Ben, Chase, Foschi, and Hill. That would eliminate the need to even think about a TE in the draft, and you wouldn't have to worry about losing a Draft pick.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting a tight end in free agency over the draft for the simple fact that the coaches (Bratkowski) will have more time to structure an offense around a guy who can catch and block. It obviously needs a change over last year... running was great, passing was bad, playcalling (when to run, pass) was even worse.

Archived