Toast Mock 4-5-10

First of all I want to address any criticism for taking defensive players with my first 4 picks. I know the offense struggled last year, but I already see players on our roster to help out. Jones and Bryant address the immediate need for a WR. Coffman addresses the immediate need for a pass catching TE. And Andre Smith will provide help to the defensive line. I still have us drafting a WR, TE, and O-lineman, but just not with the early picks.

[b]1-21[/b]...[b]DE [u]Everson Griffen[/u], USC, (6'4", 270)[/b]...Great athlete with some questions about his inconsistency and work ethic. We take him because Odom and Geathers are always injured. Plus a 4-3 team has to get a pass rush from the front 4 instead of blitzing LBs, and Griffen has the explosiveness to be a good rusher off the edge.

[b]2-54[/b]...[b]FS [u]Chris Cook[/u], Virginia, (6'2", 212)[/b]...CB with FS size. Zimmer already mentioned his name as standing out at the Senior Bowl.

[b]3-84[/b]...[b]OLB [u]Koa Misi[/u], Utah, (6'3", 248)[/b]...Played DE in college. Is projected as one of the top 3-4 OLBs in the draft, but has the speed, explosiveness, and agility to play SOLB in our scheme. High character, great motor, team captain.

[b]3-96[/b]...[b]CB [u]Jerome Murphy[/u], South Fla (6'0", 196)[/b]...Known as a big hitter. Somewhat limited in coverage, but will do fine as a #3 CB covering the slot.

[b]4-120[/b]...[b]WR [u]Marcus Easley[/u], UConn (6'3", 212)[/b]...Some consider him a "project" because he came out of nowhere his senior season, but unlike other "project" type players Easley has already proven that he can be productive against top competition. In his last 9 games of '09 he had 867 receiving yards on 46 catches for a 18.8 avg and 8 tds, and he wasn't just beating up on weak teams.

He had 5 catches for 157 yds and a TD against West Virginia (9 wins).

Two catches for 100 yds and a TD against Pitt (10 wins).

Eight catches for 122 yds and a TD against South Florida (8 wins).

Ninety-eight yards (including 11 rush yards) and a TD against Cincinnati (12 wins).

Easley followed up this production with a very impressive performance at the combine where he finished 4th among WRs in the long shuttle, 5th in the broad jump, 7th in the forty, and 8th in the bench press.

[b]4-131[/b]...[b]DT [u]Linval Joseph[/u], East Carolina (6'4", 320)[/b]...Has the size of a NT but penetrates like a 3-technique DT. Coming out of college a year early he still has room to improve. Jay Hayes worked him out at his pro day. Has the on-field production (First Team All Conference USA as junior and Honorable Mention as sophomore) and incredible measurables (39 bench reps and sub 5.0 forty speed) to warrant a 4th round pick.

[b]5-152[/b]...[b]OG [u]Marshall Newhouse[/u], TCU (6'3", 328)[/b]...Three year starter at LT for the Horned Frogs earned All-Conference honors each year including First Team in '09. Projected as an OG in the NFL. Stock rose dramatically after solid showing at the East-West Shrine game (where he played every position on the line except C) and then flashing great quickness at the combine where he finished first among O-linemen in the 3-cone drill, and 3rd in both the forty yard dash and short shuttle.

[b]6-192[/b]...[b]TE [u]Nate Byham[/u], Pitt (6'4", 264)[/b]...Great blocker to replace Reggie Kelly. Byhams was First Team All Big East in '08. In '09 the emergence of "receiving" TE Dorin Dixon cut down on Nate's receiving numbers, but he was still voted 2nd Team All Conference.

[b]7-228[/b]...[b]K [u]Leigh Tiffin[/u], Alabama (6'1", 209)[/b]...Top rated kicker in the country.

Terribly named players. I won't pretend I know shit about more than a handful of players. So I judge draft picks based on the name. I don't like any of these guys except for Tiffin and Newhouse. The rest sound like they will be out of the league in two years.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='05 April 2010 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1270500648' post='875414']
Not a single Offensive player until our 5th pick?

yikes
[/quote]

We already have these guys that will be "adding" to the offense next season

Antonio Bryant
Matt Jones
Andre Smith
Chase Coffman

So we need to address the defense with this draft.

don't mind defense first round, but DE is a horrible pick there. I know you don't like Geathers, but the coaches disagree with you.

Like the cook pick, but he's actually probably a reach there. His stock has reportedly been dropping. He'd possibly be there in the 3rd.

Don't have anything against Easley, but I'm not sure that WR is the right pick there. IMO they'll either take one early and dump Simpson or they'll take fliers on guys late to groom on the practice squad. I don't see them using a 4th round pick on a raw guy who wouldn't be a huge upgrade over Simpson right away. I'd rather use a 2nd on LaFell or Williams.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='05 April 2010 - 03:09 PM' timestamp='1270494580' post='875374']
First of all I want to address any criticism for taking defensive players with my first 4 picks. I know the offense struggled last year, but I already see players on our roster to help out. Jones and Bryant address the immediate need for a WR. Coffman addresses the immediate need for a pass catching TE. And Andre Smith will provide help to the defensive line. I still have us drafting a WR, TE, and O-lineman, but just not with the early picks.

[b]1-21[/b]...[b]DE [u]Everson Griffen[/u], USC, (6'4", 270)[/b]...Great athlete with some questions about his inconsistency and work ethic. We take him because Odom and Geathers are always injured. Plus a 4-3 team has to get a pass rush from the front 4 instead of blitzing LBs, and Griffen has the explosiveness to be a good rusher off the edge.

[b]2-54[/b]...[b]FS [u]Chris Cook[/u], Virginia, (6'2", 212)[/b]...CB with FS size. Zimmer already mentioned his name as standing out at the Senior Bowl.

[b]3-84[/b]...[b]OLB [u]Koa Misi[/u], Utah, (6'3", 248)[/b]...Played DE in college. Is projected as one of the top 3-4 OLBs in the draft, but has the speed, explosiveness, and agility to play SOLB in our scheme. High character, great motor, team captain.

[b]3-96[/b]...[b]CB [u]Jerome Murphy[/u], South Fla (6'0", 196)[/b]...Known as a big hitter. Somewhat limited in coverage, but will do fine as a #3 CB covering the slot.

[b]4-120[/b]...[b]WR [u]Marcus Easley[/u], UConn (6'3", 212)[/b]...Some consider him a "project" because he came out of nowhere his senior season, but unlike other "project" type players Easley has already proven that he can be productive against top competition. In his last 9 games of '09 he had 867 receiving yards on 46 catches for a 18.8 avg and 8 tds, and he wasn't just beating up on weak teams.

He had 5 catches for 157 yds and a TD against West Virginia (9 wins).

Two catches for 100 yds and a TD against Pitt (10 wins).

Eight catches for 122 yds and a TD against South Florida (8 wins).

Ninety-eight yards (including 11 rush yards) and a TD against Cincinnati (12 wins).

Easley followed up this production with a very impressive performance at the combine where he finished 4th among WRs in the long shuttle, 5th in the broad jump, 7th in the forty, and 8th in the bench press.

[b]4-131[/b]...[b]DT [u]Linval Joseph[/u], East Carolina (6'4", 320)[/b]...Has the size of a NT but penetrates like a 3-technique DT. Coming out of college a year early he still has room to improve. Jay Hayes worked him out at his pro day. Has the on-field production (First Team All Conference USA as junior and Honorable Mention as sophomore) and incredible measurables (39 bench reps and sub 5.0 forty speed) to warrant a 4th round pick.

[b]5-152[/b]...[b]OG [u]Marshall Newhouse[/u], TCU (6'3", 328)[/b]...Three year starter at LT for the Horned Frogs earned All-Conference honors each year including First Team in '09. Projected as an OG in the NFL. Stock rose dramatically after solid showing at the East-West Shrine game (where he played every position on the line except C) and then flashing great quickness at the combine where he finished first among O-linemen in the 3-cone drill, and 3rd in both the forty yard dash and short shuttle.

[b]6-192[/b]...[b]TE [u]Nate Byham[/u], Pitt (6'4", 264)[/b]...Great blocker to replace Reggie Kelly. Byhams was First Team All Big East in '08. In '09 the emergence of "receiving" TE Dorin Dixon cut down on Nate's receiving numbers, but he was still voted 2nd Team All Conference.

[b]7-228[/b]...[b]K [u]Leigh Tiffin[/u], Alabama (6'1", 209)[/b]...Top rated kicker in the country.
[/quote]

Like the Misi and Newhouse picks...doubt Misi will be there in the 3rd and highly doubt Newhouse will be there in the 5th as well. Absolutely hate Griffen in the 1st round. If we drafted Griffen in the 1st round I would freak out. Cook has been dropping like a rock since he showed up out of shape he has a chance to be there when we pick in the 3rd now....especially with how many other talented safety's will be there in the 2nd round. I gotta say if this is how the draft shaked out for us I would be very.very dissapointed.

[quote name='Mikey6866' date='06 April 2010 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1270600615' post='875763']Absolutely hate Griffen in the 1st round. If we drafted Griffen in the 1st round I would freak out.
[/quote]

Would you freak out about any DE in the first or just Griffen?

Also I agree that Newhouse seems to be rising fast. he'll probably be gone before we pick in the 5th.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='07 April 2010 - 03:09 PM' timestamp='1270667354' post='875895']

Also I agree that Newhouse seems to be rising fast. he'll probably be gone before we pick in the 5th.
[/quote]
I think any end in the first round would be a bad pick. It is near the bottom of team needs IMO with Odom, Geathers, Johnson, Fanene and Rucker on the roster.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='07 April 2010 - 03:09 PM' timestamp='1270667354' post='875895']

[/quote]

Not any end I would like if we got Brandon Graham at 21. Or if Derrick Morgan is there i would welcome that pick because I think hes got great pro potential. Morgan will be long gone by 21 sadly. Being a fan of USC, Griffen is very inconsistant and doesnt work hard or have a good motor. I dont think hes going to be a great pro. He may have a couple of decent years here and there but I dont see him ever being great. I would look at other positions than DE in the 1st only because i dont think any of them are worth the risk (except Graham or Morgan) and there are some DE's that are pretty good that can be had in later rounds. (Dan Teo-Nesheim, george johnson, George Selvie ect.) Id rather take the gamble with a later pick. If you have seen my mock I want a penetrating DT rather than an end because it will not only free up the ends its will get the push up the middle we have really been lacking.

Archived