ESPN commentator accuses Cincinnati police of targeting Bengals

oldschooler

[quote name='MichaelWeston' date='30 June 2010 - 11:02 AM' timestamp='1277910133' post='895336']
Yep liberals don't want people to be responsible for their actions. People like BP, George Bush, Wall Street, environmental polluters... they are trying to let those guys go without being responsible for anything. They are the ones who are yelling negative things about their president in the street and not respecting his authority. Yep those are liberals.....not to derail the thread or anything.
[/quote]

I couldnt help throwing that in there :)... sorry I knew someone would bite, I shouldnt have included that.

I'll keep it unpolitical (although we all know, the liberal viewpoint regarding personal responsibility and personal accountability is, to say the least, a weak stance- hence all the crutches, social programs, healthcare et al provide a dependance on government and stray from personal responsibility for providing for oneself and their family)... I'd be happy to debate in the J&D Forum but I sometimes think all that does is frustrate people and no one has a changed viewpoint when its all said and done.

[quote name='big_dish' date='30 June 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1277911273' post='895339']
I couldnt help throwing that in there :)... sorry I knew someone would bite, I shouldnt have included that.

I'll keep it unpolitical (although we all know, the liberal viewpoint regarding personal responsibility and personal accountability is, to say the least, a weak stance- hence all the crutches, social programs, healthcare et al provide a dependance on government and stray from personal responsibility for providing for oneself and their family)... I'd be happy to debate in the J&D Forum but I sometimes think all that does is frustrate people and no one has a changed viewpoint when its all said and done.
[/quote]

Personal responsibility doesnt exist, keep living that fantasy.

[quote name='big_dish' date='30 June 2010 - 10:21 AM' timestamp='1277911273' post='895339']

[/quote]

A safety net is not meant to be long term. It is meant to allow persons to bounce back. If your problem is with the application of the theory that makes sense, I can agree with that. When you brake your leg you need a crutch. When the leg gets better you get rid of the crutch. It is a humane and christian thinking to want to provide for the less fortunate. They are not giving these things away like you said. They are providing for people in need. Our healthcare is a joke and they are trying to fix it.

I can not agree with them not wanting accountability. What about the accountability from big business? you glanced over that part? Your premise for them wanting to have persons needs met is just incorrect. they want personal accountability. But they recognize that we need to help provide for persons who cant provide for themselves.

[quote name='big_dish' date='30 June 2010 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1277908573' post='895333']
Actually, my main point was that there was no way you were dragged from your car and threatened to be murdered (and for nothing, at that)... If that would have happened, it would be front page news. So either you are embellishing the truth, or the police department paid you off. That just doesnt happen in this city and get completely swept under the rug.

I never said I was liberal, in fact I am far from it. Which is why I referenced respecting authority (and in essence being accountable for your actions- not exactly liberal points of view in general).

I have been profiled, actually, and I remain calm and courteous, am polite and let them do their job.

I didnt mention being friends with other races to seem diversified, I mention it because none of them have been dragged from a car with guns to their heads by cops- and I mentioned it because they are respectable people who maintain a calm and cooperative demeaner- which generally diffuses any police apprehension...
[/quote]

Actually, my main point was that there was no way you were dragged from your car and threatened to be murdered (and for nothing, at that)... If that would have happened, it would be front page news. So either you are embellishing the truth, or the police department paid you off. That just doesnt happen in this city and get completely swept under the rug.

What are you twelve? ( sorry for calling names couldnt resist) You do realize this is [b]LIFE [/b]and crap happens right?
Good and bad stuff happens to good and people...
Didnt mean to imply I was dragged out of my car( should've used a different word)
Point is I was pulled over for no reason, Spread across my hood and with his hand on his gun and told
" If you try to run I'll shoot you".
Acted like an asshole whole time as he basically went threw my whole car tossing everything everywhere...
After he found NOTHING because I'm not a criminal...No apologies no have a nice day nothin "just you can go now"
I was courteous and respectful the whole time as I always am...they were just JERKS...happened to me a multiple times in Cincy...ALL of them basically BIGTIME jerks...
By the way If you understood my post you would see it was over ten years ago ( no dash cams back then that I know of)
SO there was no evidence of any sort...

[b][url="http://twitter.com/joereedy"][color="#0a0501"]joereedy[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] The unofficial [url="http://twitter.com/search?q=%23bengals"][color="#0a0501"]#bengals[/color][/url] arrest tally after quad checking -- Out of state 6, OHP 4, CPD 4, Covington 3, Boone Co. 2, Newport 1, Taylor Mill 1
[url="http://twitter.com/joereedy/status/17422117768"]about 1 hour ago[/url] via [url="http://www.tweetdeck.com/"]TweetDeck[/url]

[quote name='bengalmonsta' date='30 June 2010 - 10:13 AM' timestamp='1277907211' post='895329']
WTF???!!!!!!!!! You mean to tell me NOBODY else on here
has ever had a negative experience with Cincinnati police??!! LOL!!
True its been ten years since I left but from the few people I
still keep in contact from Cincy it still seems about the same...
[/quote]
I think its all about perspective, Boss. I know lots of cops. I've deployed with quite a few of em for extended periods of time. One of my best friends and the guy I bought my house from is a cop, and another I just spent 4 months with in Washington where we were basically living together. So I hear all the funny stories about borderline police-brutality, tazings, etc. But I also hear all the stories about people being let go for whatever reason (basically anything thats not a felony these days just gets you a ticket or a warning) and little kids that they helped by taking an abusive adult out of the house or something. Stuff that normal people dont even think about, cops deal with on a daily basis. They are the first ones to the scene of everything bad, before its been cleaned up for tv, and it stays with em. Rarely does anyone call the cops to give em a 6 pack and a few hotdogs. So naturally, they're on edge at all times.

On the flip side, I'm black. Born and raised not necessarily in the hood, but definitely not in any upscale neighborhoods (lived on Vine til I was 12, one side of the street was Clifton, the other Avondale. I lived on the Clifton side). So I know more than my fair share of knuckleheads and for the most part they think that the police can suck it. Theyre not all bad people at all, and they do tend to get harassed more than your standard issue white person, me included.

But back to the point...I travel alot, used to drive for a living, and have been pulled over more times than you can count. Even been arrested a few times for little stupid stuff, like failure to pay a ticket that my ex-wife got on my ex-car and I knew nothing about, or not showing up to court. And I can honestly say, in all cities and most circumstances so far, the police have never been anything but normal to me because I talk to them with respect, use the word "sir" occasionally, and dont act all confrontational. Even my negative experiences were not as negative as they coulda been. Honestly, if theyre gonna arrest you for something, why make the experience worse than it has to be? And a well-placed "sir" might actually be the difference between a warning, a ticket, or cuffs.

In fact, I've had quite a few really good experiences with cops. Once when my daughter was just born I was driving an old 86 Cutlass. This was 1998. Any black person knows an 86 Cutlass is a hood favorite. And it was night too. So I was coming up to a red light and the damn car just cut off and I rolled right through the intersection, and of course there was a cop sitting at the light on the other side of the street. Dude busts a U, rolls up on me, and when he comes up he was like "I know something must be wrong because you had to see me sitting right there." Told him what happened, and he put me and my daughter (in her car seat) in his car and gave us a ride to the gas station, waited while I bought some oil, took us back to my car, and then waited until I got the car started again before he rolled off. And this was not exactly in the hood, but it was damn close. And I'll never forget what he said to me when I was getting in his car "I was supposed to pat you down before letting you get in here, but if you would try to do something to me with your daughter here while I'm just trying to help you, you'd be a cold mutha." I didnt call the station and tell em what he did because I didnt want to get him in trouble if he wasnt supposed to be doing that, but I'll never forget it.

The truth is that there are bad cops out there, especially in Northern Kentucky, and some of em like to fuck with people. They cant weed out ignorance or racism in their cop screenings. And most are just good people doing a hard job the best they can. But there's many more bad people out there than there are bad cops, and its their job to find em. Profiling is not right in any way, but I'd much rather be inconvenienced a few times by a cop doing his job than to get shot or robbed by a guy that the cops let pass because he didnt wanna upset anybody.

All about perspective.

And then, of course, there's [b]obeying the law[/b]. That helps too. Maybe we as black people should worry more about why we get profiled as a group all the time and work on fixing that instead rather than trying to fix the few bad cops out there. IMHO.

[quote name='GoCommando' date='30 June 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1277917535' post='895361']
I think its all about perspective, Boss. I know lots of cops. I've deployed with quite a few of em for extended periods of time. One of my best friends and the guy I bought my house from is a cop, and another I just spent 4 months with in Washington where we were basically living together. So I hear all the funny stories about borderline police-brutality, tazings, etc. But I also hear all the stories about people being let go for whatever reason (basically anything thats not a felony these days just gets you a ticket or a warning) and little kids that they helped by taking an abusive adult out of the house or something. Stuff that normal people dont even think about, cops deal with on a daily basis. They are the first ones to the scene of everything bad, before its been cleaned up for tv, and it stays with em. Rarely does anyone call the cops to give em a 6 pack and a few hotdogs. So naturally, they're on edge at all times.

On the flip side, I'm black. Born and raised not necessarily in the hood, but definitely not in any upscale neighborhoods (lived on Vine til I was 12, one side of the street was Clifton, the other Avondale. I lived on the Clifton side). So I know more than my fair share of knuckleheads and for the most part they think that the police can suck it. Theyre not all bad people at all, and they do tend to get harassed more than your standard issue white person, me included.

But back to the point...I travel alot, used to drive for a living, and have been pulled over more times than you can count. Even been arrested a few times for little stupid stuff, like failure to pay a ticket that my ex-wife got on my ex-car and I knew nothing about, or not showing up to court. And I can honestly say, in all cities and most circumstances so far, the police have never been anything but normal to me because I talk to them with respect, use the word "sir" occasionally, and dont act all confrontational. Even my negative experiences were not as negative as they coulda been. Honestly, if theyre gonna arrest you for something, why make the experience worse than it has to be? And a well-placed "sir" might actually be the difference between a warning, a ticket, or cuffs.

In fact, I've had quite a few really good experiences with cops. Once when my daughter was just born I was driving an old 86 Cutlass. This was 1998. Any black person knows an 86 Cutlass is a hood favorite. And it was night too. So I was coming up to a red light and the damn car just cut off and I rolled right through the intersection, and of course there was a cop sitting at the light on the other side of the street. Dude busts a U, rolls up on me, and when he comes up he was like "I know something must be wrong because you had to see me sitting right there." Told him what happened, and he put me and my daughter (in her car seat) in his car and gave us a ride to the gas station, waited while I bought some oil, took us back to my car, and then waited until I got the car started again before he rolled off. And this was not exactly in the hood, but it was damn close. And I'll never forget what he said to me when I was getting in his car "I was supposed to pat you down before letting you get in here, but if you would try to do something to me with your daughter here while I'm just trying to help you, you'd be a cold mutha." I didnt call the station and tell em what he did because I didnt want to get him in trouble if he wasnt supposed to be doing that, but I'll never forget it.

The truth is that there are bad cops out there, especially in Northern Kentucky, and some of em like to fuck with people. They cant weed out ignorance or racism in their cop screenings. And most are just good people doing a hard job the best they can. But there's many more bad people out there than there are bad cops, and its their job to find em. Profiling is not right in any way, but I'd much rather be inconvenienced a few times by a cop doing his job than to get shot or robbed by a guy that the cops let pass because he didnt wanna upset anybody.

All about perspective.

And then, of course, there's [b]obeying the law[/b]. That helps too. Maybe we as black people should worry more about why we get profiled as a group all the time and work on fixing that instead rather than trying to fix the few bad cops out there. IMHO.
[/quote]

GOOD POINTS! Don't know how I've been coming off in this thread but, like I said EVERY where else but Cincy I've had nothing but
good experiences with cops...
I always say yes sir and no sir because that's how I was raised, and I would be an idiot to make the situation worse by acting like a fool to the
police...
I just dont appreciate gettin called a liar on here because someone doesnt believe the experiences "I" have had with Cincy police..
It may just be a small sample size but it is "MY small sample size"...

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/06/30/keeping-them-honest-ric-buchers-espn-radio-remarks/"][b][size="5"]Keeping them honest: Ric Bucher's ESPN Radio remarks[/size][/b][/url]
Posted by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy[/email] June 30th, 2010, 1:56 pm

For those listening to Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio this morning, some might have gone off the road or done a double take when hearing Ric Bucher's remarks this morning about the Bengals history of recent arrests, which increased to 21 since 2005 on Tuesday with Cedric Benson's incident in Austin, Texas.

Bucher, who was filling on the show with co-host Erik Kuselias suggested the recent run could be partially attributed to unfair treatment from Cincinnati Police.

Said Bucher, a Cincinnati native who covers the NBA for the Worldwide Leader ([url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/30/espn-commentator-accuses-cincinnati-police-of-targeting-bengals/"][color="#9c070c"]quotes via Pro Football Talk[/color][/url]): "The reputation that the Bengals have is, I believe — there are extenuating circumstances there. The relationship in Cincinnati between the police and the professional athletes is challenging, I would say. I believe there is a little bit of targeting that goes on there."

Bucher said that in regards to Benson, his argument wasn't valid. After researching the numbers, his entire argument isn't valid. Of the 21 arrests since '05, four have been by Cincinnati Police, which doesn't seem to indicate a pattern of profiling. Of the remaining 17, six were outside of Greater Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky, three were by the Ohio Highway Patrol, three were in Covington, two in Boone County, and one each by Newport, Taylor Mill and Kentucky Fish and Wildlife (the Eric Steinbach boating incident).

I reached Bucher and he explained his remarks, which he said was more about the general area than Cincinnati Police specifically. In that respect, Bucher does have a point since 15 of 21 were in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.

Bucher also went on to say about his remarks on the show: "It wasn't the four-five years, the last 40 years there has always been perception. Whether it's reality or not, I've had friends who have been of the opinion. If I was going to put in proper conext, it's a belief, opinion or agrument rather than factual. If I erred it was specifically in the idea of saying Cincinnati police."

(Click the link below for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/06/30/keeping-them-honest-ric-buchers-espn-radio-remarks/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/06/30/keeping-them-honest-ric-buchers-espn-radio-remarks/[/url]

Who cares if you are Liberal or Conservative?
How about we call each other Americans or Illegals
and go from there, from this day forward? Ecspecially
when a thread is posted in a BENGALS forum.

Get a perfectly good Bengals thread moved because of the BS.

Rack-em, sack-em, mother-em fuckers.

[quote name='bengalmonsta' date='30 June 2010 - 09:43 AM' timestamp='1277905423' post='895322']
I find Your response IDIOTIC.
First of all you don't know me to pass judgment on how I act with police..
My parents didn't raise me to act like a fool. I respect authority and have always been respectful of police. I have friends who are police and family
who are military...

Since you wanna bring up you being "liberal" I am VERY conservative (don't know why you even brought it up).
I am very glad for you and your life that you've never been profiled...
I for one am not necessarily against profiling that is not my issue..
My issue is being disrespected and made to feel like a criminal multiple times by an organization that is suppose to
"Protect and serve". Not intimidate.
But I'm glad you can sit on the side lines and tell me how my situations went down.

And you saying "My black, hispanic and asian friends" haha!
That's great, glad to see you have them, you are such a great person for having so much
diversity in your life hooray for you!
My initial point was [b]CINCY [/b]police have problems and an out of balance professional to asshole ratio...
I realize N.KY did most of the arresting the guy was talking about [b]CINCY [/b]police...
Ok you've taken up enough of my time for the day have a good one...

[/quote]
If this is an example of how you treat people.....I think I understand the situation in it's entirety.

Is this ( I have friends who are police) any different than this (My black, hispanic and asian friends)? Hipocrisy can be found in the mirror.

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='30 June 2010 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1277928694' post='895396']
If this is an example of how you treat people.....I think I understand the situation in it's entirety.

Is this ( I have friends who are police) any different than this (My black, hispanic and asian friends)? Hipocrisy can be found in the mirror.
[/quote]

Oh please get off your high horse and come back down to earth..

[quote name='oldschooler' date='30 June 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1277921173' post='895373']
Who cares if you are Liberal or Conservative?
How about we call each other Americans or Illegals
and go from there, from this day forward? Ecspecially
when a thread is posted in a BENGALS forum.

Get a perfectly good Bengals thread moved because of the BS.

Rack-em, sack-em, mother-em fuckers.
[/quote]

LOL! Agreed!!!

And why is this forum still called Jesus and Dubya??
Shouldnt it be Obama and Jesus? Or Obama and BUsh?? Something??

[quote name='bengalmonsta' date='30 June 2010 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1277933381' post='895406']
LOL! Agreed!!!

Shouldnt it be Obama and Jesus? Or Obama and BUsh?? Something??
[/quote]
Obama and Muhammed?

:rsju31uh9:

:ph34r:

[quote name='turningpoint' date='30 June 2010 - 06:40 AM' timestamp='1277901650' post='895306']
I've never had an issue with cincinnati police, in fact i was pulled over one time with a slight buzz by one and he let me go. All he asked was if i owned the car, which was a porsche 911, i said yes, and we went on about his business.
[/quote]

cool, so they let asshats they should be giving DUI's to go cause they drive a 911.... outstanding.... go cincy COPS!!!11

[quote name='Bunghole' date='30 June 2010 - 06:42 AM' timestamp='1277901743' post='895307']
I can't speak to your personal experience, but for one, as Jason points out, many of the arrests are in Northern Kentucky, and for two, many of the arrests were justified.
[/quote]

many? shouldnt ALL be justified?

good use of cincy money to pay Askew $500,000 for being wrongfully tazed for parking partially on the sidewalk/curb..... good thing he didnt die.

guess 10 more cincinnati cops could have had jobs for another year if they didnt have to pay that out...

there is nothing about cincinnati that is done properly.. ive been dying to get out for years, leaving was the best thing i ever did...

my big white ass driving a station wagon at the time was drug out of my car put in handcuffs while my car was searched... why was i even pulled over? cop said i drove over the white line... bullshit.

the bigger problem with cincinnati is that there is no high end "urban establishments" to go to... and its riddled with racist conservative assholes.... wtf are 53+ rich ass dudes gonna go do where some dumb fuck isnt going to start shit with them? there have been TWO cases arleady where someone started shit with them or blamed them for some fake ass bullshit.... the dudes who started shit with henry and then said henry attacked him, and the fuckers in KY who said henry and mcneal attacked them on the side of the road...

everyone wants to start shit in that miserable fucking town.

atleast many other smaller markets ahve nightlife semi close by... jacksonville has miami, orlando, etc.. etc...

where can you go from cincy? detroit is the closest big real city..

you shouldnt have to be locked in a closet your whole life because youre an athlete.. and you shouldnt be subject to being attacked constantly out in public..

[quote name='bengalmonsta' date='30 June 2010 - 03:29 PM' timestamp='1277933381' post='895406']

[/quote]

when we stop feeling the wrath of dubya ill probably change it...

gonna be a while.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='01 July 2010 - 03:06 AM' timestamp='1277962612' post='895443']
cool, so they let asshats they should be giving DUI's to go cause they drive a 911.... outstanding.... go cincy COPS!!!11

many? shouldnt ALL be justified?

good use of cincy money to pay Askew $500,000 for being wrongfully tazed for parking partially on the sidewalk/curb..... good thing he didnt die.

guess 10 more cincinnati cops could have had jobs for another year if they didnt have to pay that out...

there is nothing about cincinnati that is done properly.. ive been dying to get out for years, leaving was the best thing i ever did...

my big white ass driving a station wagon at the time was drug out of my car put in handcuffs while my car was searched... why was i even pulled over? cop said i drove over the white line... bullshit.

the bigger problem with cincinnati is that there is no high end "urban establishments" to go to... and its riddled with racist conservative assholes.... wtf are 53+ rich ass dudes gonna go do where some dumb fuck isnt going to start shit with them? there have been TWO cases arleady where someone started shit with them or blamed them for some fake ass bullshit.... the dudes who started shit with henry and then said henry attacked him, and the fuckers in KY who said henry and mcneal attacked them on the side of the road...

everyone wants to start shit in that miserable fucking town.

atleast many other smaller markets ahve nightlife semi close by... jacksonville has miami, orlando, etc.. etc...

where can you go from cincy? detroit is the closest big real city..

you shouldnt have to be locked in a closet your whole life because youre an athlete.. and you shouldnt be subject to being attacked constantly out in public..
[/quote]

Hahaha.......you know, I look forward to reading your rants. Very enjoyable.

[quote name='bengalmonsta' date='30 June 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1277932866' post='895404']
Oh please get off your high horse and come back down to earth..
[/quote]

So, yes that IS how you treat people and you wonder why people treat you the same and then cry like a lil bitch when they do and no there is no difference between those two statements. Got it.

Archived