Closer after Coco??

Jason

Next Closer Poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Reds closer after Coco leaves?

• Nick Masset
    • Jared Burton
    • Jordan Smith
    • Logan Ondrusek
    • Aroldis Chapman

2 guys walked on balls that were clearly strikes, same thing for massets walk.

why is homer bailey not an option? he is the most likely to be the closer a couple years from now.

coco better not go anywhere. if you ever watched baseball you would know that coco puts himself in pressure situations but gets out of them to have a fantastic save % over his career. i dont give a fuck that he puts guys on base, he gets saves.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='07 August 2010 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1281211927' post='903292']
2 guys walked on balls that were clearly strikes, same thing for massets walk.

why is homer bailey not an option? he is the most likely to be the closer a couple years from now.

coco better not go anywhere. if you ever watched baseball you would know that coco puts himself in pressure situations but gets out of them to have a fantastic save % over his career. i dont give a fuck that he puts guys on base, he gets saves.
[/quote]

That didn't happen today.

[quote name='Jason' date='07 August 2010 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1281213854' post='903302']
Guys, I'm not talking about this year. Coco won't pitch here forever. He has 1 more year on the contract after this one. Who takes over in 2012?
[/quote]

Chapman.

Reds have a bounty of young and talented starters. Groom Chapman to take over the closers role by the end of next season.

[quote name='claptonrocks' date='08 August 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1281286723' post='903397']
cordero is trying to hit the corners to precisely....jesus just rare back and throw the fucking ball at 95 and pitch inside .....

he doesnt seem to trust his own stuff...

I like Masset as the closer anyway....
[/quote]

he's doing the same thing Volquez is doing. Instead of pitching to contact and making batters make outs on good pitches, he's trying to get them to chase pitches out of the strike zone. Be aggressive, throw strikes, and trust the defense behind you.

Both are trying too hard to get strikeouts, rather than to just trying to get outs in general.

[quote name='The Scales' date='08 August 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1281298064' post='903439']
I think Chapman's a starter. Should be a starter. I think thats how the management sees him. He's the next cy young but way better.

[b]If you got a guy with a fastball like that with his kind of elasticity. [/b] I say he's a starter.
[/quote]

I say if you've got a guy with that good of a fastball and can mix in some other decent pitches too, you put him as your closer where he's locking down games 3 out of 4 nights rather than only pitching once a week as a starter.

Think about it. With a better closer the Reds would have anywhere from 4-6 more wins right now. That would be huge in the race they're in.

[quote name='Jason' date='07 August 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1281213854' post='903302']
Guys, I'm not talking about this year. Coco won't pitch here forever. He has 1 more year on the contract after this one. Who takes over in 2012?
[/quote]

should be homer but will end up masset :(

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='07 August 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1281228669' post='903319']
Chapman.

Reds have a bounty of young and talented starters. Groom Chapman to take over the closers role by the end of next season.
[/quote]

0.000000000000000000000% chance of chapman being a reliever next year or any year after.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='08 August 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1281298621' post='903441']
I say if you've got a guy with that good of a fastball and can mix in some other decent pitches too, you put him as your closer where he's locking down games 3 out of 4 nights rather than only pitching once a week as a starter.

Think about it. With a better closer the Reds would have anywhere from 4-6 more wins right now. That would be huge in the race they're in.
[/quote]

he's only blown 6 saves, 1 was due to Rolen fucking up a simple ground ball and another one was another fielding fuck up. So those would have been blown either way. So 4 other potential blown saves to be corrected. With a different closer we MIGHT have 1 or 2 more wins but i doubt it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='08 August 2010 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1281298621' post='903441']

[/quote]

I agree with you he would probabably be a great closer. and yes 4-6 more wins would be very nice

But.

I just think he has the goods to be a phenominal starting pitcher. Like one of the Greatest ever. Just my opinion but thats where I want to see him.

Throwing no hitters.
Ringing up 15 or more ks a game.
Routinely winning 20 or more games a season.
Becoming Legend.

Archived