NYC putting tips on all restaurant and bar bills

Go Skins

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1288967802' post='937484']
I want it for all checks. I don't care. Just pay them a regular wage. No tipping.

I also hate the tip jar shit too.
[/quote]
Regular wages will just get you shittier service..

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1288968330' post='937487']
With my background as a [b]salesman[/b] at high end [b]jewelry store [/b]coupled with my extensive [b]watch[/b] knowledge from selling fine [b]watches[/b] retail, there's no incentive for someone like me to accept hourly-based pay if I were to go back to working in [b]low end jewelry sales[/b] again because they way it is now, I'd make between $500-$700 a week working five to six hour shifts four to five nights a week.

So lets say it's $600 for a 25 hour workweek. That's $24 an hour. No [b]Wal Mart jewelry counter[/b] is going to pay anyone on their [b]sales team[/b] that kind of coin. The [b]managers[/b] don't make nearly that.
[/quote]

Stop trying to force your obamacare on the rest of us. accept what the free market pays you. fine jewlers pay a helluva lot more than a shitty retail store. why are waiters so special? your tip disease is spreading everywhere. tip disease hahahahaha.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1288968446' post='937489']
Regular wages will just get you shittier service..
[/quote]

it's already shitty cause they know that most people accept the social contract that says to tip anyway cause they make 2.15/hr. I always tip regardless of the shittiness cause i know they are poor if i don't

ps i always tip sonic employess who bring me my tator tots if they are roller skating the order to my car. walking = dealbreaker.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1288984209' post='937544']
I always tip regardless of the shittiness cause i know they are poor if i don't

[/quote]

This is your problem. Don't encourage bad service. If that shitty waiter/waitress really starts feeling the financial pinch, then soon they'll figure out that they need to do better or find a new line of work.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1288986433' post='937554']
This is your problem. Don't encourage bad service. If that shitty waiter/waitress really starts feeling the financial pinch, then soon they'll figure out that they need to do better or find a new line of work.
[/quote]

I mean, couldn't we say the same thing about the afore mentioned Wal Mart Jewelry Clerk? If they "start feeling the financial pinch" couldn't they just "find a new line of work" at a more prestigious place like Swarovski?

Plus I don't care what you say, I can't un-know that they make 2 bones an hour. I have to leave something to at least get them to $8/hr. A shitty waiter shouldn't get paid less than a shitty Taco Bell-microphone-order-number-scream-out-er guy.

I'm not asking for a lap dance, I want you to transport the food to my table and keep my drink filled. If you can't handle that without a smile on your face, then you need to be fired.

On the other side, restaurants should be able to tell customers to subtly fuck off if they are a hassle. I support jizzed upon burgers. I never complain at a restaurant. EVER.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1288967802' post='937484']
I want it for all checks. I don't care. Just pay them a regular wage. No tipping.

I also hate the tip jar shit too.
[/quote]

If restaurants did away with tips and paid their servers $20+ an hour, do you think they are just going to absorb the cost? Nope, that cost is passed on to you. You go to a restaurant to be taken care of, to be served.....probably because you yourself did not feel like taking care of yourself that day. If the service is good, they deserve a tip. If it's not then they don't. The hope of earning tips is what should keep that server doing a great job for you.

Honestly, you just come across as cheap here....and the ironic thing is that your idea would only make your dining experience more expensive.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' timestamp='1288990179' post='937588']
If restaurants did away with tips and paid their servers $20+ an hour, do you think they are just going to absorb the cost? Nope, that cost is passed on to you. You go to a restaurant to be taken care of, to be served.....probably because you yourself did not feel like taking care of yourself that day. If the service is good, they deserve a tip. If it's not then they don't. The hope of earning tips is what should keep that server doing a great job for you.

Honestly, you just come across as cheap here....and the ironic thing is that your idea would only make your dining experience more expensive.
[/quote]

Should I tip the guy who brings me shoes at Foot Locker? He is servicing me too.
Should I tip the nurse who checks my blood pressure and pulse?
Should I tip the Jiffy Lube guy for making a pot of coffee for the lobby?
Should I tip the captain or just the waiter? Will the waiter share with the captain?

I don't care if it's more expensive. I already said that. I'm not cheap, I'm willing to pay more. I want waiters to have the same standards as every other service place I visit.

That hope of earning tips has turned into "I expect a tip regardless" IMO. Plus I hate playing the little game.

Is this service adequate? Is one refill/5 minutes the "fair" limit? Waht if i drank my drink to fast? Is it my fault? How many teeth have to be showing on the average smile? Is that a forced smile? How many trips does the waitress have to come to my table to ask "is everything alright"? Fuck that. I'm tired of that.

Like I said, if I want a handy, I can go to a hooker. I just want fuel and some relaxation. I don't need a goddamn happy ending.

PS I have a policy of tipping ugly/fat ones more cause they probly don't get good tips.

PPS Are you supposed to tip hookers?

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1288991596' post='937597']
Should I tip the guy who brings me shoes at Foot Locker? He is servicing me too.
Should I tip the nurse who checks my blood pressure and pulse?
Should I tip the Jiffy Lube guy for making a pot of coffee for the lobby?
Should I tip the captain or just the waiter? Will the waiter share with the captain?

I don't care if it's more expensive. I already said that. I'm not cheap, I'm willing to pay more. I want waiters to have the same standards as every other service place I visit.

That hope of earning tips has turned into "I expect a tip regardless" IMO. Plus I hate playing the little game.

Is this service adequate? Is one refill/5 minutes the "fair" limit? Waht if i drank my drink to fast? Is it my fault? How many teeth have to be showing on the average smile? Is that a forced smile? How many trips does the waitress have to come to my table to ask "is everything alright"? Fuck that. I'm tired of that.

Like I said, if I want a handy, I can go to a hooker. I just want fuel and some relaxation. I don't need a goddamn happy ending.

PS I have a policy of tipping ugly/fat ones more cause they probly don't get good tips.

PPS Are you supposed to tip hookers?
[/quote]

All of those occupations you listed pay more than 2.13 an hour. So the answer would be no, you should not tip them.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' timestamp='1289003416' post='937638']
All of those occupations you listed pay more than 2.13 an hour. So the answer would be no, you should not tip them.
[/quote]

That's the point, you wouldn't have to subsidize waiters with tips if they made a normal salary.

Starbucks chix have normal salaries yet they still put out the tip jar. Fuck that so hard.
:Harassment_emoticon:

I live in a country where staff bend over backwards for you and if you leave a tip they will literally chase you down in the parking lot to give it back. With that thought in mind I will not tip a server in the US unless they give good service with a smile. I'm probably the friendliest person any server could hope to have. They treat me right I will do the same. Shit service only means I won't be adding to their pocket. And that's how it should be. This shit of tipping because you have to is bullshit. You want a tip from me then you gotta earn it.

the entire idea of tipping based on % of the bill is retareded...furthermore, the entire culture of tipping in the US is out of control

nonetheless...they get 20% from me unless they fuck up pretty hard

the way i look at it, its not the server's fault the system is stupid...why punish them? but if they go ahead and add on 15% then thats all they're getting. Its their loss cause i was gonna give them more

but from what i gather 20% is about average in the NY/NJ area...below 18% is looked at as pretty cheap

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1289227132' post='938192']
the entire idea of tipping based on % of the bill is retareded...furthermore, the entire culture of tipping in the US is out of control

nonetheless...they get 20% from me unless they fuck up pretty hard

the way i look at it, its not the server's fault the system is stupid...why punish them? but if they go ahead and add on 15% then thats all they're getting. Its their loss cause i was gonna give them more

but from what i gather 20% is about average in the NY/NJ area...below 18% is looked at as pretty cheap
[/quote]

In places that have automatic gratuities, there's always the option to leave more if the server really goes above and beyond. The auto grat is just there to ensure that some bunch of dickweeds don't get away with screwing someone over.

I tip wait staff and bartenders. I don't tip the cashier at Kolache Factory, or at the donut place.

I've known some people who tip the tree trimmers, the pest control people, etc etc... that seems a bit much to me. What's the etiquette? I don't even know anymore...

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1289241846' post='938250']
I tip wait staff and bartenders. I don't tip the cashier at Kolache Factory, or at the donut place.

I've known some people who tip the tree trimmers, the pest control people, etc etc... that seems a bit much to me. What's the etiquette? I don't even know anymore...
[/quote]

See, that's the problem. Why would you tip a bartender but not a barista? They do the same goddamn thing!

The ettiquite is blurred. Outlaw tipping FTW. I my restaurant experience to mirror the Japanese, where they take pride in their job and they view tips as an insult. That sounds BADASS. I want a waiter to seppuku himself if he does a poor job.

Archived