Black Friday Madness

kdubdub

[quote name='kdubdub' timestamp='1291083666' post='946337']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vESlkalBbIk[/media]
[/quote]

People are damn crazy...

We were in Cincy over Thanksgiving weekend - coming back from my sister's place Thursday night / Friday morning and were passing the Target on 48 around 1:35 am... people were camped out on the sidewalk in front waiting for the store to open at 3... it was 30 and snowing.

I don't care if they're giving the shit away - I'm not standing out in the cold and snow at 2-3 am to go into a store.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40270486/ns/business-consumer_news/?Gt1=43001

A check of the calendar shows the day after Thanksgiving, known as Black Friday, is still a week away. But don't tell that to Lorie and Ryan Davenport of St. Petersburg.

On Wednesday, they set up a large blue tent at the Best Buy store near the Tyrone Square Mall in St. Petersburg, prepared to camp out for more than a week to snag some electronic deals.

"We've been doing this for six years now and we got beat out by the same guy for the last six years," said Lorie Davenport. "So this year, we said, this might be our last year, it might be our last hurrah, so we're coming extra early if we have to because we are gonna be first if it kills us."

After getting an OK from Best Buy management, the Davenports are now in it for the long haul.

Although the couple say they're not sure what they'll buy when the doors open at 5 a.m. next Friday, they are hoping for a good deal on a large-screen TV or perhaps something from the Apple Mac line.

From past experience, they know some items will be in short supply, and that means they have to be on guard for people who stretch the rules.

"You don't know how many friends at the last minute that are gonna come in and squeeze in the line," Lorie Davenport said.

Lest you think the Davenports plan to stay every hour of the day, there is a small detail you should know. They stay in line by day but another family spells them at night. The families are saving spots for a total of 10 people.

It appears stretching the rules may be open to interpretation.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1291147163' post='946493']
[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40270486/ns/business-consumer_news/?Gt1=43001"]http://www.msnbc.msn...news/?Gt1=43001[/url]

A check of the calendar shows the day after Thanksgiving, known as Black Friday, is still a week away. But don't tell that to Lorie and Ryan Davenport of St. Petersburg.

On Wednesday, they set up a large blue tent at the Best Buy store near the Tyrone Square Mall in St. Petersburg, prepared to camp out for more than a week to snag some electronic deals.

"We've been doing this for six years now and we got beat out by the same guy for the last six years," said Lorie Davenport. "So this year, we said, this might be our last year, it might be our last hurrah, so we're coming extra early if we have to because we are gonna be first if it kills us."

After getting an OK from Best Buy management, the Davenports are now in it for the long haul.

Although the couple say they're not sure what they'll buy when the doors open at 5 a.m. next Friday, they are hoping for a good deal on a large-screen TV or perhaps something from the Apple Mac line.

From past experience, they know some items will be in short supply, and that means they have to be on guard for people who stretch the rules.

"You don't know how many friends at the last minute that are gonna come in and squeeze in the line," Lorie Davenport said.

Lest you think the Davenports plan to stay every hour of the day, there is a small detail you should know. They stay in line by day but another family spells them at night. The families are saving spots for a total of 10 people.

It appears stretching the rules may be open to interpretation.
[/quote]

Unbelievable. They are camping out all that time and they don't even know what they are going to buy? Spending money just for the hell of it? For fuck's sake, if you can afford to take off work that long in order to camp out for something you clearly don't need, surely you can afford to just buy it from the comfort of home for just a little more money.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1291147718' post='946498']
Unbelievable. They are camping out all that time and they don't even know what they are going to buy? Spending money just for the hell of it? For fuck's sake, if you can afford to take off work that long in order to camp out for something you clearly don't need, surely you can afford to just buy it from the comfort of home for just a little more money.
[/quote]

Although it wasn't pointed out in this article, I could have sworn it was either this family or somewhere else in the US that people did the same thing and WERE NOT WORKING! Nice to see where unemployment dollars go.

Needless to say, this family just wanted attention, and wanted to go into a ton of debt to get it.

[quote name='CTA513' timestamp='1291148683' post='946504']
Not as bad as what happened at a Target in Buffalo:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVD-m8urJU[/media]
[/quote]

Ah, [i]there's[/i] the America I know and love...trample your fat fellow man underfoot in the name of consumerism! In the past it was people killing each other over Cabbage Patch dolls, now its a mad scramble for cheap electronics...made in China...

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1291156626' post='946544']
Ah, [i]there's[/i] the America I know and love...trample your fat fellow man underfoot in the name of consumerism! In the past it was people killing each other over Cabbage Patch dolls, now its a mad scramble for cheap electronics...made in China...
[/quote]

My favorite is all the "my shit don't stink" little comments about the other shoppers coming from those same shoppers who are part of the same collective mob.

I like the fat guy/girl who waddles in from the left at :10, does an about face when they hear screaming and then continue to wave people through.

I wish hitler was still alive to gas chamber all black friday stores. That woudl be aweosme.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1291158024' post='946548']
My favorite is all the "my shit don't stink" little comments about the other shoppers coming from those same shoppers who are part of the same collective mob.

I like the fat guy/girl who waddles in from the left at :10, does an about face when they hear screaming and then continue to wave people through.

I wish hitler was still alive to gas chamber all black friday stores. That woudl be aweosme.
[/quote]

My issue is when you can see and/or hear someone screaming because they are being trampled upon (over shopping! SHOPPING!), you slide eagerly by and do nothing because you're more concerned with that $300 32" crappy quality Wal-Mart HDTV...instead of trying to help stem the tide of the mob so someone doesn't end up dying as a golden calf on the sacrificial altar of consumerism...its this mentality that is part and parcel of what's wrong with our country.

And Lord, I don't think I've ever seen such a collection of sad-sack fatasses in one place on video. The whole thing is just a sad commentary on what people in our society value as important.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1291161672' post='946556']
My issue is when you can see and/or hear someone screaming because they are being trampled upon (over shopping! SHOPPING!), you slide eagerly by and do nothing because you're more concerned with that $300 32" crappy quality Wal-Mart HDTV...instead of trying to help stem the tide of the mob so someone doesn't end up dying as a golden calf on the sacrificial altar of consumerism...its this mentality that is part and parcel of what's wrong with our country.

And Lord, I don't think I've ever seen such a collection of sad-sack fatasses in one place on video. The whole thing is just a sad commentary on what people in our society value as important.
[/quote]

You're just pissed you didnt get a 32" Suckiovox HDTV arent you?

i wouldnt bother going to any of these places, NOT being retarded and shopping at home on the computer will save you just as much if not more..

I have not been to a retail store except Lowe's since before thanksgiving... and i bought a garage door opener that wasnt even on sale.... just needed one..

people are insane with this shit..

$5 blu rays? go to amazon, maybe youll pay $7 and not get up at 3am for it..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1291176938' post='946603']
You're just pissed you didnt get a 32" Suckiovox HDTV arent you?

i wouldnt bother going to any of these places, NOT being retarded and shopping at home on the computer will save you just as much if not more..

I have not been to a retail store except Lowe's since before thanksgiving... and i bought a garage door opener that wasnt even on sale.... just needed one..

people are insane with this shit..

$5 blu rays? go to amazon, maybe youll pay $7 and not get up at 3am for it..
[/quote]

yup, amazon price matched nearly every blu ray sale so I got everything I wanted while being a lazy ass

[quote]The Second Coming
By W.B. Yeats

TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi

Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,

A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it

Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know

That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,

And what rough beast, its hour come round at laSt,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? [/quote]

Buffalo's obesity rate has to be high. I saw some good sized people in there.

It was like seeing an injured player limping back onto the field. The dude was like, "Fuck. I've waited all night... two cracked ribs aren't going to stop me from beating these shitheads to the car audio display. I'm pushing through."

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1291220431' post='946677']
Buffalo's obesity rate has to be high. I saw some good sized people in there.

It was like seeing an injured player limping back onto the field. The dude was like, "Fuck. I've waited all night... two cracked ribs aren't going to stop me from beating these shitheads to the car audio display. I'm pushing through."
[/quote]

Ha. To me that guy's face said something more like "Why am I doing this? Oh well, I'm here now, might as well..."

Archived