2011 Reds Gameday Thread!

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1308658851' post='998039']
Maybe so, but he has been awful this year.
[/quote]
He was likely the only person who had seen him before. He missed out on two homeruns the day before as well. It was likely better than anyone else not named Miguel Cairo.

[b]Reds-Yankees[/b]

[b]Where's the "O"
[/b]The Reds have scored just 8 runs in their last 5 games at GABP.
4-1 (L) Cubs
3-2 (L) Jays
4-0 (L) Jay
2-1 (W) Jays
5-3 (L) Yankees
I tweeted last night thinking it had to be a record for fewest runs by Reds in 5 consecutive games in the history of GABP

[b]Sure enough[/b]..........The 8 runs scored by the Reds in the last 5 home games is the fewest ever by the team in 5 consecutive at GABP. Previous low was 9 in June of 2008.[i][b]Joel Luckhaupt, FS Ohio, on Twitter, [/b][url="http://twitter.com/#%21/jluckhaupt"]@jluckhaupt[/url]

[/i][b]

No glove love[/b]
Reds SS have combined for 14 errors: 6 Janish, 8 Renteria
2nd most in MLB: Cards, Cubs 15
MLB average at SS: 9 errors

Read more: [url="http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz1Pv2wWurf"]http://www.espn1530....l#ixzz1Pv2wWurf[/url]

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1308663564' post='998051']
He was likely the only person who had seen him before. He missed out on two homeruns the day before as well. It was likely better than anyone else not named Miguel Cairo.
[/quote]

Hernandez was 6 for 20 against him, and I think Gomes had hit well off him also.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1308665503' post='998060']
Hernandez was 6 for 20 against him, and I think Gomes had hit well off him also.
[/quote]
I can see an argument for Hernandez. But Gomes? Seriously? With two outs in the 9th against the GOAT of closers. 3 pitch strikeout all swings I'm sure.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1308670331' post='998070']
I can see an argument for Hernandez. But Gomes? Seriously? With two outs in the 9th against the GOAT of closers. 3 pitch strikeout all swings I'm sure.
[/quote]

How would that have been different from what Renteria did?

At least Gomes is showing signs of coming around, and has the ability to knock one out of the yard.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1308671026' post='998071']
How would that have been different from what Renteria did?

At least Gomes is showing signs of coming around, and has the ability to knock one out of the yard.
[/quote]
Whatever you say buddy. 3-9 is a .333 average. Last I remembered that's pretty decent. Not to mention he almost hit two homers Sunday. If a guys swinging the stick good, it doesn't matter what he's done all season.

[b]Simply amazing[/b]
Reds batters have drawn 2 walks since the 4th inning last Wednesday in LA.
Both walks have been by Fred Lewis.
*Lewis broke a team streak of plate appearances without a walk of 79 straight batters on Saturday night in the bottom of the 7th.
*Lewis was intentionally walked in the bottom of the 8th Sunday.
Since that Lewis walk on Sunday the Reds have sent 35 batters to the plate without a walk.

[b]By game[/b]
Wednesday: Votto walked in 4th innings vs LA. None of final 20 batters of game drew a walk.
Friday: 0 walks in 34 plate appearances vs Jays
Saturday: 1 walk (Lewis) in 35 plate appearances vs Jays
Sunday: 1 walk (Lewis/intentional) in 34 plate appearances vs Jays
Monday: 0 walks in 34 plate appearances vs Yankees.

2 walks in last 157 plate appearances by the Reds.

Toronto pitchers are 3rd in walks issued: 266
New York pitchers are 12th in walks issued: 235

Read more: [url="http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz1PvsrRV5A"]http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz1PvsrRV5A[/url]

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1308672618' post='998078']
Whatever you say buddy. 3-9 is a .333 average. Last I remembered that's pretty decent. Not to mention he almost hit two homers Sunday. If a guys swinging the stick good, it doesn't matter what he's done all season.
[/quote]

That's a lifetime average, and Renteria is nowhere near the player he used to be. Those two weren't homers because he doesn't have enough power left. They pretty much needed a HR cause you weren't going to string hits together against Rivera, and both Hernandez and to a lesser extent Gomes had a better chance at that IMO.

Neither Renteria nor Gomes deserve to be on the roster.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1308677754' post='998088']
That's a lifetime average, and Renteria is nowhere near the player he used to be. Those two weren't homers because he doesn't have enough power left. They pretty much needed a HR cause you weren't going to string hits together against Rivera, and both Hernandez and to a lesser extent Gomes had a better chance at that IMO.

Neither Renteria nor Gomes deserve to be on the roster.
[/quote]
I don't think Dusty would have trotted him up there unless he was confident that he was the best option at that point. We had some serious momentum at that point. IIRC, Hernandez was in the on deck circle.

And I agree. Neither should be on this roster. I hope they make a move to aquire an above average shortstop and bring up either Frazier or Alonso for LF and platoon with Lewis, who is playing better.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1308672618' post='998078']
[/quote]

Renteria hasn't faced him since 2008. He's not nearly the player he was then.

And Gomes is also hitting .333 against Rivera.

Archived