The Bengals will draft Ryan Mallet

[size="5"][b]Ryan Mallett visits Bengals, insists he's a "great person"[/b]
[/size]Posted by Evan Silva on April 3, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT

Arkansas quarterback [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=6470"][b][color="#000000"]Ryan Mallett[/color][/b][/url] wrapped up an official pre-draft visit with the Bengals on Friday, and Joe Reedy of the [i]Cincinnati Enquirer[/i] caught up with the Razorbacks' all-time passing leader on Saturday night.

A lightning rod for criticism for his off- and on-field persona, Mallett insisted to Reedy that concerns about his character are overblown.

"There been times when I have not come off the best way," conceded Mallett. "At the Combine I was listening to what the moderator said and that was the last question. I didn't storm out like some people said.

"Once people get to know me, they will find out [url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/04/03/mallett-says-visit-to-bengals-went-well/"][color="#d81718"]what a great kid and great person[/color][/url] I am."

The Bengals, who would presumably consider Mallett with the 35th overall pick as opposed to the fourth, have shown quite a bit of interest in him. In addition to last week's team-facility visit, the Bengals met with Mallett at his March 8 Pro Day. Quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese made the trip to Fayetteville.

Mallett told Reedy that he can envision a smooth transition from Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino's offense into new Cincinnati coordinator Jay Gruden's West Coast system.

"I consider that I've been playing in a West Coast (offense) last three years," said Mallett. "We ran a lot of crossing routes and shallow routes. That was a big part of our game."

Ultimately, the Bengals are [url="http://clarkjudge.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6384866/28154256?source=rss_blogs_NFL"][color="#d81718"]not expected to hold[/color][/url] Mallett's character concerns against him on draft weekend. That means he'll likely be given strong consideration in the second round by Cincinnati if the team drafts a receiver or defensive lineman at No. 4 overall.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/03/ryan-mallett-visits-bengals-insists-hes-a-great-person/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/03/ryan-mallett-visits-bengals-insists-hes-a-great-person/[/url]

[b][url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/04/03/mallett-says-visit-to-bengals-went-well/"][size="5"]Mallett says visit to Bengals went well[/size][/url][size="5"] [/size][/b]

[b]1:57 pm, Apr 3, 2011 | Written by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy[/email]

[/b] Ryan Mallett's tour of NFL teams began in Cincinnati last Thursday and Friday. Over the next two weeks, he is expected to visit 10 more and rack up the frequent flier mileage. When it comes to the Bengals though, indications are things went about as well as expected.

Said Mallett on Saturday night about his trip here: "It went real good. I definitely think I surprised a couple of the coaches."

Quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese was at Mallett's Pro Day on March 8 which meant Mallett got to meet offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and head coach Marvin Lewis for the first time. When it came to what he expected out of visiting teams, Mallett did admit that he was nervous coming up here because the Bengals was the first team he visited and that he didn't know what to expect.

With the quarterback class in this year's draft, Mallett might be the most divisive — coaches either love him for his arm or hate him for decision making late in big games, pointing out Arkansas' losses to Alabama and Ohio State. There has been no middle group when discussing him.

When asked if he thinks he is the most misunderstood prospect in the draft, Mallett said: "I don't know if its misunderstood. There been times when I have not come off the best way. At the Combine I was listening to what the moderator said and that it was the last question. I didn't storm out like some people said. Once people get to know me, they will find out what a great person I am. That's the thing about the team visits, they get to see the up close and personal.

"People have called me cocky and arrogant but I have a lot of confidence in our team and the people around me. I wasn't trying to make it sound like it was all about me because it wasn't."

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/04/03/mallett-says-visit-to-bengals-went-well/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/04/03/mallett-says-visit-to-bengals-went-well/[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301875428' post='981708']
and a video of bad decisions.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnRdnQWu1w&feature=player_embedded#at=36[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks for these videos...

Looking at these "bad decisions video"...What I take out of it is...we should draft him. If these are his mistakes, then we are no worse off than we are now. I can find you a play from last year ALONE that would match these bad decision/throws almost throw for throw...from an 8 year veteran QB that played for the Bengals. At least Mallet would have some upside, where CP has already hit and passed his prime. Of course, most of the time "it was the receivers fault". (sarcasm heavy) At least Mallet can make a decent play action fake and at least try to sell it.

But I wouldn't draft him at #4, either trade down or hope he's there at #35. If he is there in the second, I could see a Boomer-like evolution...a second rder that plays up to a 1st rd level.

[b]Q: Why is Ryan Mallett projected in the second round? His arm strength is unmatched and he is deadly accurate too. He choked at the end of the Alabama game but came up big against LSU, and at South Carolina and Mississippi State. What is the downside that makes him a second-rounder?

Dave in New Orleans

A:[/b] Obviously it's more than talent. Mallett has the best pure arm in the draft. Also, he's got a great grasp of offenses and can read defenses. There is a two-fold worry that knocks him down into the second round. His personality scares teams. Whether it's valid or not, he comes across as immature. As a quarterback, you are the leader of the team in the locker room and the face of the franchise. Teams aren't sure he's the right face at the moment. The second problem is his immobility. He's a standing target in the pocket. All that said, Mallett could be like Brett Favre, who was immature coming into the pros and turned out to be a Hall of Famer.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6286514"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6286514[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301874529' post='981707']
here's another video by the same people about Mallett under pressure.

At about the 9:00 minute mark they show him on rollouts and bootlegs, which he'd need to have some ability to do in Gruden's offense it sounds.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQVNQXrSYE&feature=player_embedded#at=12[/media]
[/quote]

After looking through the above, one thing that strikes me is that there are three areas where he is about 1000% better than CP.

Pocket presence/avoiding rush
Throwing off back foot/while moving backwards
Play action fakes...he fooled me and the camera man once...make that twice.

[quote name='Dr Tarzan' timestamp='1301919182' post='981739']
After looking through about half of the above, one thing that strikes me is that there are three areas where he is about 1000% better than CP.

Pocket presence/avoiding rush
Throwing off back foot/while moving backwards
Play action fakes...he fooled me and the camera man once...make that twice.
[/quote]

I think his accuracy is about the same, though. He can throw some real dogs under pressure...but so does our present QB.

As far as Mallet being slow, that's BS. He has football speed. He isn't fast on a track, but he moves faster when someone's chasing him and his feet are quite nimble in a short space.

I think what we see from this clip and the bad decision clip is that he is already used to working behind a marginal OL. So working behind the Bengals line wouldn't be such a shock.

I'm not sure I want HIM in particular, but from what I can see he would be an upgrade over CP2010 version.

After further review I don't understand why he isn't the highest rated QB in the class. Ok, well I do understand, but I think the reasons are baseless and overblown and it makes no sense to knock him down pegs behind the likes of Newton, Gabbert and even Locker by many scouts/gurus considering how much better of a QB I think he clearly is.

He's played behind a mediocre lines, and been the victim of many drops by receivers.

I also think he has a great football mind and a outstanding work ethic. That may sound silly to those who blindly buy into the "he's a dumb guy who doesn't work hard and is a drug addict" argument.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't yet to read that article posted on here about him, the incredibly long one. It's an excellent read by someone who's actually done some very in depth reporting and investigating into just who Ryan Mallet really is.

I haven't heard from anyone that he's worthy of the #4 pick, let alone top 15. However many mocks have Newton and Gabbert going in the top 5, and both are being considered for the #1 overall pick. So why exactly isn't Mallet worth taking at 4 if he is that much better than Newton and Gabbert, which in my opinion he absolutely is.

Out of this whole draft class, he's the 1 guy I'd bet on to be a great starter at the next level.

From Peter King ...

[b]Mallett as metaphor.[/b]

Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett heads for Seattle today, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Seahawks consider him with the 25th pick in the first round. Seattle is still looking longingly at quarterbacks, with incumbent Matt Hasselbeck 35 and not certain to return, and Charlie Whitehurst still an unknown long-term quantity. GM John Schneider was at Mallett's Pro Day in Fayetteville. But is this serious interest or due diligence? It may be both, because in Mallett's case there's so much good and bad out there on the grapevine that you have to work hard to separate fact from fiction. And is Mallett, all 6-6 ¾ of him, the second coming of Dan McGwire -- drafted in the first round by Seattle 20 years ago this month -- or a mature pocket passer with the most pro-ready game of any quarterback in this draft?

As I wrote last week, I had one team's scouting report on Mallett read to me, and it questioned his leadership, football and non-football decision-making, a string of off-field problems, and made it clear Mallett should never come within 50 feet of that team's locker room. Former Rams personnel man Tony Softli said Mallett didn't declare for the 2010 NFL draft because of "heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction.''

But I've spoken with two teams that have done significant homework on Mallett, and neither seemed scared off by him. They believe there's a line of demarcation between his one year at Michigan -- where he enrolled as an 18-year-old freshman in the middle of the academic year -- and his two successful seasons at Arkansas, and that most of his problems in Ann Arbor stemmed from immaturity, homesickness (he's from Texas), and learning that he wasn't the best quarterback in the world, all at the same time. He drank to excess there, including one time when he was arrested for public intoxication.

Someone I trust in the league told me there's something else you have to know about Mallett before you can judge him with finality and decide whether to pick him in the draft. He wouldn't say what it was. Without proof, I'm not going to speculate.

My attempts to contact Mallett through the weekend failed. Mallett knew I wanted to delve into the non-football side of his draft prospects, and he chose not to discuss it. He's been consistent that way since the Scouting Combine, saying he'd answer any questions about his past from teams, but he wouldn't answer them from reporters.

"If you listened to what everyone was saying about him, you wouldn't take him in the seventh round, never mind the first or second,'' one general manager whose opinion I trust implicitly said Sunday night. "Every team is going to have to figure him out for themselves, and you're going to have to trust the guys in your building you ask to look into players who might have a lot of baggage.''

At Michigan in 2007, Mallett was full of himself, maybe as a defense mechanism for his insecurity, and he wasn't well-liked. He started three games for the injured Chad Henne, including a 38-0 win over Notre Dame. But when Rich Rodriguez got the Michigan coaching job after the season, it was obvious Mallett was a poor fit for Rodriguez's spread scheme. He transferred to Arkansas soon after Bobby Petrino got there, and they were a good fit together. Petrino is a demanding coach, particularly with quarterbacks; he chews out offenses the way Nick Saban chews out defenses. When NFL people asked those they trust at Arkansas about how Mallett fit with Petrino, the answers came back positive. Clearly, Mallett can be coached, and coached hard.

That's one of the things that intrigue teams. Mallett is very good at reading defenses and making changes at the line, which he'll need to do early on in the NFL. He's a plodder, slower even than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. But as another GM told me Sunday: "He can't run at all, but he can move in the pocket well. He's very confident back there, both throwing and moving around when he has to. That part doesn't worry me.''

His throws come out crisp and with accuracy. His arm is plenty strong to make the sideline throws he'll have to make in the NFL. People at Arkansas say he loves football. That's one of the differences between he and Matt Jones, the failed first-rounder for Jacksonville; Mallett loves it, Jones thought it was a job.

Where will he go? It'll have to be a team that can process his past foibles and see him as a maturing person and player. I don't know if that place is Miami or Carolina. It might be Cincinnati or Seattle. ("You better love football here,'' Hasselbeck told me about Pete Carroll's regime last season. Mallett does.) Or Tennessee, with the kind of strong offensive line and running game a slow-footed quarterback would need to survive.

We'll see. Expect a lot of sleepless nights for the teams interested in most of these quarterbacks, particularly the strong-armed one from Arkansas.

Read more: [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/03/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1IYzJf0bD"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/03/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1IYzJf0bD[/url]

[quote name='Dr Tarzan' timestamp='1301920180' post='981740']
I think his accuracy is about the same, though. He can throw some real dogs under pressure...but so does our present QB.

[b]As far as Mallet being slow, that's BS. He has football speed. He isn't fast on a track, but he moves faster when someone's chasing him and his feet are quite nimble in a short space. [/b]

I think what we see from this clip and the bad decision clip is that he is already used to working behind a marginal OL. So working behind the Bengals line wouldn't be such a shock.

I'm not sure I want HIM in particular, but from what I can see he would be an upgrade over CP2010 version.
[/quote]

Sorry but I think that is an impossible statement to make until he plays in a real NFL game. A lot of QBs look fine in a college setting only to be too slow both mentally and physically to play the game. We already know he has NO speed what so ever so everything is riding on his ability to sit in the pocket and make plays PERIOD.

Guys like Rodgers, Brees, Turdberger and Vick can create something out of nothing with their feet. I see ZERO evidence Mallet could do the same. Unless we have an Indy quality oline I think Mallet has real problems being the QB for this team.

Remember, Carson started his NFL career off with a GREAT oline and very good to great weapons on offense. Not gonna happen (Great Oline) here at least not this year.

I wish this had all the top QB's, but as I understand it, here's how some of the QB's rate as far as how quick their release is.

[quote]From the feet up, Ryan Mallett’s full motion was the second-quickest of the group at about 42.9 milliseconds. The very fastest was T.J. Yates at 36.7 milliseconds. The slowest was Colin Kaepernick at 56.4 milliseconds. The ordering changes when you measure the time it takes for pure arm motion, cued off the dropping of the throwing elbow. The quickest and slowest remain T.J. Yates (33.8 milliseconds) and Colin Kaepernick (46.0 milliseconds), however Ryan Mallett’s arm motion sinks into the very middle place in the seven-player sample at 36.3 milliseconds.[/quote]

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_lies_damn_lies_and_1.html

From everything I hear, getting the ball out quick is going to be a big part of the Bengals passing game.

[b]Video: Best fit for quarterbacks

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay breaks down the quarterback options for the Cincinnati Bengals and other teams. McShay believes former Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett is an attractive option for Cincinnati in the second round.

[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/26171/video-best-fit-for-quarterbacks"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/26171/video-best-fit-for-quarterbacks[/url][/b]

Archived