Should the Bengals take a receiver at No.4?

[size="5"][b]Should the Bengals take a receiver at No.4?[/b]
[/size] April 5, 2011 by [url="http://www.nfltouchdown.com/author/matt-g/"][b][color="#003673"]Matt Gray[/color][/b][/url] | [url="http://www.nfltouchdown.com/tag/aj-green/"][color="#bf0014"]A.J. Green[/color][/url], [url="http://www.nfltouchdown.com/tag/bengals/"][color="#bf0014"]Bengals[/color][/url], [url="http://www.nfltouchdown.com/tag/caldwell/"][color="#bf0014"]caldwell[/color][/url], [url="http://www.nfltouchdown.com/tag/cincinnati/"][color="#bf0014"]Cincinnati[/color][/url], [url="http://www.nfltouchdown.com/tag/simpson/"][color="#bf0014"]simpson[/color][/url], [url="http://www.nfltouchdown.com/tag/wide-receiver/"][color="#bf0014"]Wide receiver[/color][/url]

In 2010, the Cincinnati Bengals signed Terrell Owens, resulting in a media fanfare not even Chad Ochocinco could draw that unsurprisingly lasted little more than five weeks into the season when people realized that all the talk and all the 'hype' were simply that.

The addition of Owens (and Antonio Bryant) pushed the Bengals struggling youngsters [url="http://bleacherreport.com/andre-caldwell"][color="#bf0014"]Andre Caldwell[/color][/url] and Jerome Simpson to the back of the line where they would remain until Owens injured his knee in a win against the Cleveland Browns and Ochocinco's bone spurs became so bad that he couldn't play.

What followed was interesting, as the Bengals played a noticeably better game against the San Diego Chargers, with the general consensus being that the whole team clicked better once the ego's were out the door.

Simpson had six receptions for 124 yards and two touchdowns, going on to have a productive end to the season. Caldwell, while unable to grab a TD, posted 270 yards in the final three games with a lowest output of 87 yards. Carson Palmer even looked like he was having, dare I say it…fun.

If we go back to just prior to the season's culmination, a lot of Bengals fans were clamoring for the heads of Marvin Lewis, Ocho and T.O. The main arguments centered around how good the youngsters on the team looked and how much better Carson would play with receivers who are willing to listen and work their butts off.

Which brings us to today. Lewis is [i]still[/i] the coach, Carson wants out, T.O. is most likely gone and Ocho (if he isn't traded this year), Caldwell and Simpson's contracts are all up in a years time. Naturally many "experts" are pointing to the Bengals taking a receiver in the upcoming draft, with many targets firmly centered on Georgia's A.J. Green.

While this solves one problem, filling the void Ocho will inevitably leave, it means that the Bengals use up an extremely valuable No. 4 pick that could be used to fix other holes that are more urgent.

It seems like most people have completely forgotten about those last few weeks of the season where hope for next season was surrounding Gresham, Shipley, Caldwell and Simpson as the next generation.

Caldwell believes he is poised to have a breakout year. He said, "Let everybody know up there, I'm ready. I'm ready to come in and have my best year. I trained like I was going to the combine all over again and I'm going to keep going."

While I have spoken many times before about my desire to give Simpson and Caldwell a chance this season and leaving a first-round receiver until next year, there are issues of depth beyond Caldwell and Simpson that the Bengals really do need to think about.

While A.J. Green would help this situation, one man doesn't solve that problem, which is why I think this problem can be better addressed through later round draft picks than first and free agency (if it ever happens). Also let's not forget Quan Cosby whom the Bengals have exclusive rights over who has proved valuable.

There is also a point to make for the Bengals changes on offense to begin this year. With Jay Gruden implementing a run first, smash-mouth West Coast system, the need to take a receiver so high is somewhat degraded.

I'm not saying that A.J. Green wouldn't fit in this system, I'm sure he would excel, but if he's going to excel we need the right guy under center throwing him the ball. There's also the age-old belief that games are won in the trenches, and the Bengals certainly need some help from a defensive lineman right about now in order to help the defense find its identity and add some firepower, myself being a big fan of Von Miller.

Whether or not Caldwell and Simpson get re-signed by the Bengals is something that may not be addressed until next year as the Bengals have a number of other high priority free agents to consider, including the likes of Cedric Benson and Johnathan Joseph.

What I would suggest is addressing a greater need with the No. 4 pick and giving the young guns some playing time to showcase their talents or lack of. There was belief at the close of the season, where has it all gone?[i]
[/i]

[url="http://www.nfltouchdown.com/receiver-no4/"]http://www.nfltouchdown.com/receiver-no4/[/url]

[b][size="5"]Q&A with Georgia WR A.J. Green
[/size][/b]

Posted April 08, 2011 @ 4:39 p.m. ETBy Eli Kaberon

Of all the offensive players available in the 2011 NFL draft, none received a higher grade than Georgia WR A.J. Green in the [i]Pro Football Weekly 2011 Draft Preview[/i]. The 6-3 5/8, 211-pound wideout has been compared to NFL stars Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald due to his ability to make plays with the ball in the air and his velcro-like hands that seem to pull in everything in sight. Nolan Nawrocki calls the former Bulldog "a quarterback's dream," a reason there is some speculation he might be the first pick in the draft come April 28.

PFW spoke with Green about the adjustment of going from college to the NFL, his one-on-one battles with another top prospect and a brilliant play he made before he even arrived on Georgia's campus.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]When you were at Georgia, were you forced to read defensive coverage?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Yeah we had to do that, it was a major part of our playbook.

[b]PFW: The defenses in the NFL are so complex even compared to the SEC. What does it take to understand what they're doing?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]I feel like the safeties will tell you everything; it starts from the safeties. So you have to see what they're doing, then you go see who is in the box and where they are, then you put your eyes back on the corner. So I feel like safeties are mostly going to tell you what coverage they're lined up in.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]Do you enjoy run-blocking?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Yeah, I do whatever is best for the team. If I have to run-block, that's fine with me. I don't have a problem with that.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]Is going through all these visits and interviews stressful for you?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Not really. With all the hard work I've put in, it's been fun.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]Have any of your former teammates at Georgia clued you in on how the whole process will go?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Yeah I've talked to Matt (Lions QB Matthew Stafford), Mo (Browns WR Mohamed Massaquoi), Mike (Lions WR Michael Moore). There is a lot of people I've talked to about what they've went through. And the first thing they said was to just enjoy the process, and that's what I'm doing.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]You faced off against LSU CB Patrick Peterson in 2009. What can you say about him as a player?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Oh man, Patrick is one of the best DBs I went against by far. His size, his speed, his smarts. You know, he just has the whole package, so whoever gets him is going to have a a great impact on the team.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]Was he the best player who covered you?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Yeah, definitely.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]Did you have trouble getting open against him?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]You know what, with me and Patrick it was two great players. We battled, he got me sometimes, others I got him. You know we were going back and forth, he's a great player.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]Do you see it as a bit of a competition between yourself and the other top prospects as to who will be drafted first?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Oh no, we can't control this, we're just going to try to give them the best fit for whatever they need, so I'm just going to do my part.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]Have you been invited to the draft?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Yes, I've been invited. I don't know if I'm going to go.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]What do you want to buy once you officially sign a contract? [/b]

[b]Green: [/b]I don't even really know, I don't need anything right now. Just whatever my parents want.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]Looking forward to seeing yourself in Madden?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Yeah that's a big thing. To have my name on it this time, that will be fun.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]On YouTube there's a [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAztBFiEZmE"][color="#37557a"]video of you making a one-handed catch in high school[/color][/url]. It's really an amazing play. What do you remember about that? [/b]

[b]Green: [/b]Yeah, that was against Gaffney. That was one of the best catches I had in high school was the off-the-hand, spin it around.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]How did you even know the ball was there?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]It was just a, I don't know man, my reaction. When I saw it I turned back around and it was there and it stuck to my hands.

[b]PFW: [/b][b]Finally what are your thoughts heading into these final weeks before the draft?[/b]

[b]Green: [/b]I'm looking forward to meeting with some of the coaches and the GMs and different things like that. But this is a long process and I'm ready for it to be over so we can get back to playing football.

[url="http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/08/qa-with-georgia-wr-aj-green"]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/08/qa-with-georgia-wr-aj-green[/url]

VIDEO

Brian Billick's Take: A.J. Green

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/video/NFL?vid=8ba99574-5395-4965-b5a9-daecc4bf868a&from=foxsports/nfl/home_gallery"]http://msn.foxsports.com/video/NFL?vid=8ba99574-5395-4965-b5a9-daecc4bf868a&from=foxsports/nfl/home_gallery[/url]

Also from Brian Billick ...

[url=""][color="#265970"]Bengals could draft WR[/color][/url]

After dominating the AFC North in 2009, the Bengals are back to drafting among the top 10, making for seven top-10 picks this decade.

[b] [/b]

The Bengals have now had back-to-back years of solid, if not spectacular, defensive play. After being a dominate run team in 2009, the thought was that [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/carson-palmer/140403"][b][color="#265970"]Carson Palmer[/color][/b][/url] would now augment that attack with an improved passing attack. With the free-agent acquisition of [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/terrell-owens/70702"][b][color="#265970"]Terrell Owens[/color][/b][/url] and the drafting of rookies Jermain Gresham and [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/jordan-shipley/766446"][b][color="#265970"]Jordan Shipley[/color][/b][/url] in the first and third rounds respectively, the offense was sure to improve. Even though each of those players played well, they slipped to 27th in the NFL in rushing and the offensive proved to be a huge liability.

As if there wasn't enough concern on offense already, now the Bengals are unsure if quarterback is going to be a major need for them or not. The uncertain status of Carson Palmer and his stated intention to retire if not traded leaves Cincinnati in a no-man’s land with the fourth pick of the draft.

Whether Carson stays or not, the fourth pick in this year's draft is too early to consider a quarterback, and there are more talented options at wide receiver. Perhaps taking a top-flight receiver, such as A.J. Green, with this pick might prove enough to entice Palmer back?

The Bengals also need to address the offensive and defensive lines, possibly in the second and third rounds where there could be some excellent value at both positions.

As always, the Bengals have to face the Ravens and Steelers twice, and pick up the AFC South as their out-of-division opponent in the AFC. They will catch a break in facing the NFC West, Buffalo and Denver in their remaining schedule.

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Brian-Billick-Cincinnati-Bengals-Cleveland-Browns-NFL-draft-needs-Greg-Little-Randall-Cobb-Titus-Young-analysis-040611"]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Brian-Billick-Cincinnati-Bengals-Cleveland-Browns-NFL-draft-needs-Greg-Little-Randall-Cobb-Titus-Young-analysis-040611[/url]

[quote]Should the Bengals take a receiver at No.4?[/quote]

they should set their draft board and take the top player still on it at #4, if they don't trade down. If that's Green, you pull the trigger.

There's a number of great prospects (outside of the QB's) they can take at #4, and people should be happy that they are getting one of them.

a much wiser man than me, bill walsh, one of the main gurus of the WCO, gained notoriety by saying "you only draft a wide receiver once all your other needs are met". think about that statement for a moment and let it sink in.

if anyone thinks that criteria has been met, they need their damned head examined. taking a WR at #4, in this draft, with this 4-12 bengals team, with all the needs we have, with all the pass catching weapons we already have, is about the most ridiculous idea i've ever heard of. we just can't afford that luxury. if we waste that pick on a skinny WR, that will likely only be involved in 10% of all plays from scrimmage, i will literally come unglued.

with that said, mike brown will probably draft AJ green and continue his legacy.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1302738550' post='983491']
a much wiser man than me, bill walsh, one of the main gurus of the WCO, gained notoriety by saying "you only draft a wide receiver once all your other needs are met". think about that statement for a moment and let it sink in.

if anyone thinks that criteria has been met, they need their damned head examined. taking a WR at #4, in this draft, with this 4-12 bengals team, with all the needs we have, with all the pass catching weapons we already have, is about the most ridiculous idea i've ever heard of. we just can't afford that luxury. if we waste that pick on a skinny WR, that will likely only be involved in 10% of all plays from scrimmage, i will literally come unglued.

with that said, mike brown will probably draft AJ green and continue his legacy.
[/quote]
If Cam, Darius, and Miller are the 1st 3 picks who should the Bengals take? What are the realistic options?

Gabbert, Green, Jones, Peterson, Quinn, Fairley??

I dont think they should take Gabbert b/c I dont feel his value is at 4.

IMO AJ is better than Julio so he's out.

Peterson is a fantastic athlete but he isnt Champ and I dont think you take a corner that high unless hes a total shutdown guy

Quinn is an interesting prospect, lots to like, also didnt play last year, regardless of circumstance not sure you can over look that at #4

Fairley is dropping like a rock, one year wonder? Missed flight to combine, was late to interviews, has blown off dinner w/ Dolphins GM. I dont want any part of him.

Since when do you draft on need, especially at #4, AJ is a hands down top 5 overall prospect, Peterson might be the only one I mentioned who is even close to that. If TO and Chad are gone the wr's are Simpson, Caldwell, Ship, and Cosby w/ Rome and Bubba being in the final year of their contracts. They have no true vertical threat or true #1 receiver now and they definitely wouldnt if Chad isnt back. AJ has had various aspects of his game compared to Moss, Calvin, Andre, and Fitz. What part of getting a player like that is a luxury. You have to marry BPA w/ need and thats why to me it makes more sense to draft AJ than any other player.

You're a very wise man. [quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1302738550' post='983491']

[/quote]

[/quote]
:41:

[quote name='bengalsdave985' timestamp='1302740149' post='983496']
If Cam, Darius, and Miller are the 1st 3 picks who should the Bengals take? What are the realistic options?

Peterson is a fantastic athlete but he isnt Champ and I dont think you take a corner that high unless hes a total shutdown guy

Quinn is an interesting prospect, lots to like, also didnt play last year, regardless of circumstance not sure you can over look that at #4

Fairley is dropping like a rock, one year wonder? Missed flight to combine, was late to interviews, has blown off dinner w/ Dolphins GM. I dont want any part of him.

Since when do you draft on need, especially at #4, AJ is a hands down top 5 overall prospect, Peterson might be the only one I mentioned who is even close to that. If TO and Chad are gone the wr's are Simpson, Caldwell, Ship, and Cosby w/ Rome and Bubba being in the final year of their contracts. They have no true vertical threat or true #1 receiver now and they definitely wouldnt if Chad isnt back. AJ has had various aspects of his game compared to Moss, Calvin, Andre, and Fitz. What part of getting a player like that is a luxury. You have to marry BPA w/ need and thats why to me it makes more sense to draft AJ than any other player.
[/quote]

:41: :41: :41:

Great Post!! You pick the BPA at a position OF need, NOT the best player at the position of most need. If Cam is there, you may pick Cam. If Dareus is there, you may pick Dareus. But if both are gone, IMHO, you pick Green. The difference between Green and Jones may not be that much, but Green, to me, is better and he's WAY better than #3.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1302749934' post='983538']
:41: :41: :41:

Great Post!! You pick the BPA at a position OF need, NOT the best player at the position of most need. If Cam is there, you may pick Cam. If Dareus is there, you may pick Dareus. But if both are gone, IMHO, you pick Green. The difference between Green and Jones may not be that much, but Green, to me, is better and he's WAY better than #3.
[/quote]
Even if Green turns out to be Fitzgerald look what Fitzgerald did with a team with no qb or running game. Wr don't make that big of a difference. Besides they are a dime a dozen.

[/quote]

Funny that you attirbute that quote to Bill Walsh. He became the 49ers Head Coach in 1979.
His first draft pick as a Head Coach was a WR named James Owens. He was drafted in the
2nd round BEFORE Joe Montana.

[url="http://www.profootballhof.com/history/story.aspx?story_id=2013"]http://www.profootballhof.com/history/story.aspx?story_id=2013[/url]

I also wonder, did Walsh say that before his WR made "the catch" to put them in the Super Bowl?
Or was it after he drafted Jerry Rice who also helped him win a couple?

[quote name='bengalsdave985' timestamp='1302788369' post='983598']
I love the "dont draft AJ" crew, not 1 of you have said who they should draft. You cant just bang on 1 guy w/o giving valid reasons to draft another player
[/quote]
Relax dude. Nick Fairley is my pick. We could have potentially a stud pass rush with M.J. Atkins Fairley and Dunlap. A great pass rush makes a huge difference. I watched 3 games from last year the last couple of days I forgot how much Geathers sucks he made no plays on third down looked like crap. Rivers was solid versus ground game and Atkins and Dunlap are studs. On offense there was several times it appeared everybody blocked their man and the play didn't work because the defense would bring an extra guy in the box before the ball was snapped. And having Roland at te was retarded never worked the d woulndt cover him.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1302753530' post='983544']
Even if Green turns out to be Fitzgerald look what Fitzgerald did with a team with no qb or running game. Wr don't make that big of a difference. Besides they are a dime a dozen.
[/quote]

Weak. Fitz, I think was drafted in 2004. I don't know all the stats, yards, or any other crap.

4 seasons later he played a big part in Arizona getting to their only Superbowl.

Now who the fuck in their right mind is going to question selecting AJ Green at 4, if he produces like Fitz and plays a big part in getting the Cincinnati Bengals back to a Superbowl?

People can throw this dime a doze bullshit around all you like. Point is Arizona did draft Fitz. He has produced. It was a major reason they went to a Superbowl. A traditional shit hole franchise made it happen and almost won the damn thing while selecting a WR no. 3??????

[/quote]

That said Bill had his offenses built around 1st round WRs. Curtis and Rice. With late round QBs throwing to them.

[quote name='bengalsdave985' timestamp='1302788369' post='983598']
I love the "dont draft AJ" crew, not 1 of you have said who they should draft. You cant just bang on 1 guy w/o giving valid reasons to draft another player
[/quote]

Georgia was a different team with that guy. It's a solid A+++ selection if it were to happen. People say crazy shit about draft prospects all the time when it doesn't fit their No. 1 position desire.

I love the "dont draft AJ" crew too. I would like AJ and/or one of the top defenders. Liking one guy doesn't make the other guy worthless, IMO.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1302790651' post='983612']
Georgia was a different team with that guy. It's a solid A+++ selection if it were to happen. People say crazy shit about draft prospects all the time when it doesn't fit their No. 1 position desire.

I love the "dont draft AJ" crew too. I would like AJ and/or one of the top defenders. Liking one guy doesn't make the other guy worthless, IMO.
[/quote]

agreed. I understand why others would prefer Fairley/Peterson/Miller/Dareus/Quinn (I'm one of them), but let's not pretend that AJ Green would be a bad pick and can't be a huge asset to the Bengals.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1302790924' post='983614']
agreed. I understand why others would prefer Fairley/Peterson/Miller/Dareus/Quinn (I'm one of them), but let's not pretend that AJ Green would be a bad pick and can't be a huge asset to the Bengals.
[/quote]

Green and Gresham is alot to like. It's mismatches everywhere because they are complete guys.

A ton to like about the defenders as well. Everything I've read/heard from the begining has the canidates for top 10 to be solid. The only real bad news is Bowers knee.

AJ Green is a GREAT pick if were to happen. Then you move on to post draft and see if he pans out.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1302791259' post='983616']
Green and Gresham is alot to like. It's mismatches everywhere because they are complete guys.

A ton to like about the defenders as well. Everything I've read/heard from the begining has the canidates for top 10 to be solid. The only real bad news is Bowers knee.

AJ Green is a GREAT pick if were to happen. Then you move on to post draft and see if he pans out.
[/quote]

with a couple contract extensions, your skill players are set with Green/Simpson/Shipley/Gresham/Coffman/Caldwell for the next 4 years.

[quote name='bengalsdave985' timestamp='1302740149' post='983496']

[/quote]

It almost boils down to taking the remaining SEC stud at 4. Peterson - I'd love to have him. AJ Green - Yep, love it. Dareus - Yes, Love it. Fairley - Love it.

I'd shake my head at Cam, but it would generate some buzz which is 100% better than the dark cloud that's moved over PBS since 2010 went down the shitter.

The no.4 pick is too much money to invest in a player that fills a need but doesn't tick all the other boxes. If the Bengals don't learn from selecting Dan Wilkerson, Kijana Carter and Akili Smith now then they never will. When you factor in position of pick, value, talent, intangibles, injuries, need, bust potential, and protecting your massive financial investment - out of all the prospects, AJ Green is the only one that ticks all the boxes, and therefore would make the most sense.

Happy daze = Simpson, Shipley, Green, Gresham

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1302799769' post='983643']
The no.4 pick is too much money to invest in a player that fills a need but doesn't tick all the other boxes. If the Bengals don't learn from selecting Dan Wilkerson, Kijana Carter and Akili Smith now then they never will. When you factor in position of pick, value, talent, intangibles, injuries, need, bust potential, and protecting your massive financial investment - out of all the prospects, AJ Green is the only one that ticks all the boxes, and therefore would make the most sense.

Happy daze = Simpson, Shipley, Green, Gresham
[/quote]
Don't think drafting 4 straights 1st round Wrs helped the Lions very much.

Archived