Vick Wanted Cincy

[quote name='ccartman2' timestamp='1313726250' post='1017527']

Cowterd is a big market douche. He'll never admit wrong by an institution (NCAA, NFL, NBA, etc.). He has no use for small markets or even small sports. He is a Pimp for ESPN and the sports they host, and knows jack shit about anything else.
[/quote]

Except for Ohio State, he'll be the first one to bash them. Because their girlfriends have kankels and USCs don't. That's why their a nice little program from Columbus. Worst promo ever and drove me fucking crazy.

Non Ohio State fan here too...

Pure speculation on your part. Is Jackson any worse then Ocho. At least chad never held out.
[/quote]

Comparing Jackson to Chad is comical. Jackson held out but once he resigned was a true professional. Guys hold out all the time but they certainly don't act like the total bitch Chad was 3 years ago and this offseason.

Vick needed money and exposure. Success in Philly meant more money in the NFL and his pocket. Success in Cincy, not so much. If he would have tried Oakland, there wouldn't have been a peep.
[/quote]

Vick would have gotten more money here. Success in Philly would have been marginalized if Vick was on the bench watching Donavan McNabb as the starting QB. Dont forget, in McNabb's last season in Philly, he made the pro bowl, was 10-4 as the starter, had a 92.9 passer rating and had 22 tds to 10 ints. Pretty damn good season. The fact that he was traded to the Redskins was a shock and is something Mike Brown would have NEVER DONE WITH PALMER. The Eagles did it because it was the best move.

And lets just make one thing very clear, Andy Reid is simply a better coach then Marvin Lewis and the Eagles are a much better run organization. 9 playoff appearances in 11 years, a superbowl appearance and a record of 10-9 in the playoffs the last 11 years. Thats 19 playoff games in 11 years. His teams are disciplined, organized, usually balanced, always have good lines and you just don't hear many bad things about the team.

How long did the Eagles put up with TOs crap? TO was a first team all pro and Reid threw his ass to the curb after only 7 games in his second season. This was after he threw McNabb under the bus and was acting the fool. We kept Chad after all the crap he pulled 3 years ago even though a GREAT offer was on the table.

I have said this before but if Carson Palmer had been the QB in Philly the last 8 years, they would have a superbowl ring or two. Palmer would have thrived behind those offensive lines and with those weapons at his disposal.

If Vick went to Oakland everyone would have shook their heads and said that is the worst place he can go.

Philly was perfect for Vick. He was treated fairly, used to exploit his strengths and was given the starting job once he proved himself. Would not have happened here IMHO.

[b] Leitch on Vick’s statement: “I wouldn’t disagree with a word of it”[/b]

Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2011, 8:13 PM EDT

The issuance of statements from the NFL insisting that quarterback [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2107/michael-vick"][b]Mike Vick[/b][/url] [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/nfl-says-vick-wasnt-steered-to-philadelphia/"][color="#d81718"]wasn’t steered to the Eagles[/color][/url] and from Vick insisting that the decision to go to the Eagles was [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/vick-says-it-was-his-own-decision-to-go-to-philly/"][color="#d81718"]his and his alone[/color][/url] implies the existence of a conflict with the [i]GQ[/i] interview in which his comments regarding an initial reluctance to go to Philadelphia appeared. And for good reason. The interview widely has been interpreted as suggesting that the league at best nudged Vick to the Eagles and at worst packed him with foam peanuts in a box bound for the City of Brotherly Love. The author of the interview, however, sees no inconsistency.

“The story stands on its own,” Will Leitch told PFT via e-mail on Thursday. “I obviously recorded the whole interview (I cannot take notes that fast) and it went through the lengthy — oh, how lengthy — [i]GQ[/i] fact-checking process several times over.

“The story never claims that Goodell ‘steered’ him into signing with Philly, or that he was ‘forbidden’ from signing with Buffalo or Cincinnati. That came from the Deadspin piece last night, which everyone ran with. (Those Deadspin rascals. CAN’T TRUST ‘EM.)”

Leitch is the founder of Deadspin. He remains the site’s Editor Emeritus. Though we’re tempted to characterize his comments as a case of Deadspin-on-Deadspin crime, he’s clearly joking. (Unfortunately.)

Deadspin had the first word on the interview because, frankly, Deadspin disregarded the embargo that [i]GQ[/i] placed on the excerpts of the story. That said, Deadspin didn’t set the agenda for interpreting Vick’s words and the words used by Leitch to characterize Vick’s words. We received the same excerpts Deadspin received, and I’d already concluded that Vick was saying he had been steered by the league to the Eagles before I saw the Deadspin article last night.

And for good reason. The e-mail from [i]GQ[/i] led with the following excerpt:

“[b][url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2107/michael-vick"]Michael Vick[/url] on not originally wanting to come to Philly[/b]:
“‘I think I can say this now, because it’s not going to hurt anybody’s feelings, and it’s the truth… I didn’t want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options.’

“Those two teams wanted him and would’ve allowed him to start, but after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced—and granted league approval—to sign with Philly. ‘And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation.’”

With due respect to Vick and to the Eagles and to the NFL and to Leitch, that passage implies pretty strongly that “Goodell and other reps from the NFL” at least advised and at most coerced Vick to pick the Eagles. The choice of words clearly indicates a causal link between the input from Goodell and other league officials and Vick’s decision. However, Leitch believes that the truth lies in the difference between the words “convinced” and “persuaded.”

“The piece says that he was convinced (not ‘persuaded’) to sign with Philadelphia, and that he got league approval to do so,” Leitch said. “That is all the story has said from the beginning. These things are undeniably true. Vick had countless advisors on that critical move, and Goodell and the NFL — obviously — were a part of the process. This ‘steering’ and ‘forbidden’ business came from places outside of this story.”

He’s right that the words “steering” and “forbidden” were applied to the situation by others. But when Leitch writes that “after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced — and granted league approval — to sign with Philly,” and when the next sentence consists of a quote from Vick in which he says “I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation,” a reasonable person of reasonable intelligence reasonably could conclude that Vick didn’t “convince” himself to join the Eagles, but that others “convinced” him to do it. When the subsequent thought consists of a quote in which Vick “commend[s] and thank[s] them” because “they put [him] in the right situation,” it’s also fair and reasonable to infer that Vick’s decision was the product of the advice, or something stronger, of others.

Vick didn’t say he put himself in Philly. He said “they put [him]” there.

The fact that Leitch believes his article to be consistent with Vick’s statement takes considerable sting — and steam — out of the situation. But the article says what the article says, and Deadpin, PFT, NFL.com, and plenty of others interpreted the article to say that Goodell and other league officials infringed upon Vick’s independent process of picking a team and advised, encouraged, urged, and/or steered Vick to pick the Eagles.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/leitch-on-vicks-statement-i-wouldnt-disagree-with-a-word-of-it/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/leitch-on-vicks-statement-i-wouldnt-disagree-with-a-word-of-it/[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1313759691' post='1017617']
“The piece says that he was convinced (not ‘persuaded’) to sign with Philadelphia, and that he got league approval to do so,” Leitch said. “That is all the story has said from the beginning. These things are undeniably true. Vick had countless advisors on that critical move, and Goodell and the NFL — obviously — were a part of the process. This ‘steering’ and ‘forbidden’ business came from places outside of this story.”

He’s right that the words “steering” and “forbidden” were applied to the situation by others. But when Leitch writes that “after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced — and granted league approval — to sign with Philly,” and when the next sentence consists of a quote from Vick in which he says “I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation,” a reasonable person of reasonable intelligence reasonably could conclude that Vick didn’t “convince” himself to join the Eagles, but that others “convinced” him to do it. When the subsequent thought consists of a quote in which Vick “commend[s] and thank[s] them” because “they put [him] in the right situation,” it’s also fair and reasonable to infer that Vick’s decision was the product of the advice, or something stronger, of others.

Vick didn’t say he put himself in Philly. He said “they put [him]” there.

The fact that Leitch believes his article to be consistent with Vick’s statement takes considerable sting — and steam — out of the situation. But the article says what the article says, and Deadpin, PFT, NFL.com, and plenty of others interpreted the article to say that Goodell and other league officials infringed upon Vick’s independent process of picking a team and advised, encouraged, urged, and/or steered Vick to pick the Eagles.
[/quote]

Well, there you have it. Sounds like he was "persuaded" to me.

BTW OLD, you live in the fucking boondocks! Dude, did they film the fake moon landing in your backyard? Franklin must feel like Manhattan now. Do you have a lot of bears and buffaloes there?

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1313760372' post='1017621']

Well, there you have it. Sounds like he was "persuaded" to me.

BTW OLD, you live in the fucking boondocks! Dude, did they film the fake moon landing in your backyard? Franklin must feel like Manhattan now. Do you have a lot of bears and buffaloes there?
[/quote]

LOL.

I don't know about the Moon landing or bears and buffaloes. But there were a lot of Bigfoot sightings not long ago.
Turned out it was my neighbor's wife.

There are a lot of deer. I mean A LOT. Coyotes and foxes too. And a lot of feral pigs, Eagles and stuff. I have heard some reports of bears.
But haven't seen one. Or any buffaloes.

But yeah, BFE looks like a metropolis compared to this place.

By: John Popovich

[b]THE HOT TOPIC:[/b] The story about Michael Vick was all over the place Thursday. He had done an extended interview with GQ Magazine and he admitted that he didn't think he would go to the Philadelphia Eagles because he was not destined to be the third string quarterback. He knew his better options were Cincinnati and Buffalo. But he says he went to Philly after a meeting with NFL officials, including Commissioner Roger Goodell. Vick said "and I commend and thank them because they put me in the right situation."

[b]BACKTRACKING:[/b] The NFL knew this was an explosive admission, so it quickly issued a statement that it didn't influence Vick in any way. Later, Vick also clarified his statement and said he wasn't swayed by the NFL office.

[b]WHAT DO I BELIEVE?[/b] I believe the original statement by Vick. He was trying to be complimentary toward the Commissioner and he didn't realize he was opening a can of worms.
[b]REACTION?[/b] Bengals fans should never believe another thing that the NFL Commissioner tells them. He was obviously playing big city versus small market. He should have no influence on a player's decision.

[b]BUT ANOTHER LITTLE VOICE TELLS ME:[/b] Goodell might have felt Cincinnati would be the wrong fit for Vick, who was just leaving prison. Cincinnati had developed the reputation as an outpost for misfits and criminals. Chris Henry and Odell Thurman were doing all the wrong things over and over again. Could you blame the commissioner for using his clout? Or maybe just hinting that he might be better off in Philly.

[url="http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/homepage_showcase/the-friday-morning-rush-for-august-19,-2011"]http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/homepage_showcase/the-friday-morning-rush-for-august-19,-2011[/url]

[size=6][b] Vick turned down better offer from Bengals[/b][/size]

CINCINNATI - Turns out that fans who thought the Bengals should have taken a look at Michael Vick after he was released from jail in 2009 were not so crazy.

In an interview with GQ Magazine , the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback and comeback story says he turned down a better deal from the Cincinnati Bengals.

Vick said he got a better offer from Cincinnati and Buffalo, but after getting input from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and others, he decided Philadelphia was the better choice.

Jay Glazer of FoxSports.com reported in '09 that the Bengals were the first team to offer Vick a contract after his reinstatement worth about $2.3 million for two years. Vick accepted a $1.6 million contract with the Eagles in 2009 with a $5.6 million option in 2010.

Vick completed 62.6 percent of his passes for 3,018 yards and 21 touchdowns on just six interceptions in only 12 games of the 2010 season, leading the Eagles to a 10-6 record, a playoff appearance and as one of the favorite's to take the NFC Championship in 2011. Vick appeared minimally in 2009 when he was first signed.

The Bengals instead were stuck with Carson Palmer, who it turns out was actually stuck with Bengals, and now the quarterback job at Paul Brown Stadium is largely a mystery with rookie Andy Dalton seemingly the early choice, but veteran Bruce Gradkowski and brother-to-said-stuck-quarterback Jordan right behind him.

Oh, what could have been.

Or what was. The Bengals did win the AFC North championship the year Vick was reinstated.

It seems, in this case, hindsight is not so 20/20.

[url="http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/football/bengals/vick-turned-down-better-offer-from-bengals"]http://www.wcpo.com/...er-from-bengals[/url]

It doesn't matter the reasoning.. The commissioners office should not have any voice whatsoever in even counseling a player on where to sign..

It's tampering plain and simple. From the office that is supposed to police and protect the integrity of the game..

Whatever the reason, or depth of the involvement, this throws a serious shadow over the legitimacy of the NFL.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1313764439' post='1017655']
It doesn't matter the reasoning.. The commissioners office should not have any voice whatsoever in even counseling a player on where to sign..

It's tampering plain and simple. From the office that is supposed to police and protect the integrity of the game..

Whatever the reason, or depth of the involvement, this throws a serious shadow over the legitimacy of the NFL.
[/quote]

Mike Brown should have some recourse for this. Damn. Vick on the Bengals. Damn.

If Mike had any balls he would file a lawsuit against the NFL and the commish. This is simply a case of blatant corruption. Vick was not advised shit. He was TOLD that if he chose Philly, he would be reinstated period. Vick had one option if he wanted back in the NFL: Go to Philly. The real question is was there any Quid pro quo from Philly to the commish? Did Philly make some type of backroom deal with Goodell to make this thing happen? I am guessing yes.

If I am right then the Justice Department gets involved. It could get ugly.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1313766211' post='1017670']
If Mike had any balls he would file a lawsuit against the NFL and the commish. This is simply a case of blatant corruption. Vick was not advised shit. He was TOLD that if he chose Philly, he would be reinstated period. Vick had one option if he wanted back in the NFL: Go to Philly. The real question is was there any Quid pro quo from Philly to the commish? Did Philly make some type of backroom deal with Goodell to make this thing happen? I am guessing yes.

If I am right then the Justice Department gets involved. It could get ugly.
[/quote]

Fortunately this is one area that Mike is very good at. He may not know how to build a football team, but he is a very astute business lawyer. He knows that caution is key here though. He needs to have a good case to bring.. Goodell has the mandate most of the power elite in the NFL and would make a very bad enemy. Although one could argue that this is plainly already the case so there is not much to lose.

I think if Mike believes this story has legs (and i don;t doubt he is looking into it) that he will make a stand on this.. Another thing you can say about Mike is that he does have balls when it comes to business and political maneuvering.. He isn't afraid of people hating him, and he did not vote for Goodell.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1313760956' post='1017627']

LOL.

I don't know about the Moon landing or bears and buffaloes. But there were a lot of Bigfoot sightings not long ago.
[color=#ff0000]Turned out it was my neighbor's wife.[/color]

There are a lot of deer. I mean A LOT. Coyotes and foxes too. And a lot of feral pigs, Eagles and stuff. I have heard some reports of bears.
But haven't seen one. Or any buffaloes.

But yeah, BFE looks like a metropolis compared to this place.
[/quote]

I'm sorry you have Steelers fans for neighbors.

:D

Archived